Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Loonshrine got a permanent moon aura so that's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Picked up my Skaven tome today and started flipping through it.

They really don't want you to overcharge the Skryre stuff. The risk to reward is way out of whack. Like the ratling gun has a ~72% chance of dying.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I expect errata to rebalance Skryre at some point. And probably make Pestilens less amazing.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I expect to see a Pestilens nerf, but I'm not sure about them buffing anything.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jun 27, 2022

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Is it just me or is it odd that nobody has got any battle report videos of the new GHB out yet? Normally the reviewers get the advance copies and have them out by pre-order day.

Struck me as odd that they're not doing it this time.

WhatAliceFoundThere
Jul 18, 2007
Dressed like a victorian at a swimming pool

MinistryofLard posted:

Is it just me or is it odd that nobody has got any battle report videos of the new GHB out yet? Normally the reviewers get the advance copies and have them out by pre-order day.

Struck me as odd that they're not doing it this time.

Honestly I think it might be down to the big push of new stuff recently, like Horus Heresy, probably just struggling to keep up with actually making content.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

There are already a few from 40k-centric channels like Tabletop Titans and AoS-centric channels like Season of War said they will use it starting this week along with other new army rules:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6USjNzmYkk

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Some quick and dirty paint jobs. I'm still recovering from covid so painting was rough, a lot of shaky hands. I also bought these when my backlog was already giant, so I tried to get them done asap to not feel guilty about doing that.

I got the big boat boy because he reminds me of one of my favorite Elden Ring bosses. The archers were because it seems useful to have some ranged units in my list.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Winklebottom posted:

Painted a loonboss, now give me a functional Gitz book

Rock buddies!

These own. Those colours work together so well.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

After learning that some of these new missions are impossible to win without any Galletian Veteran units, anyone have a good conversion for Skryre Acolytes?

The GW ones that are the old globadiers look fine, but gently caress paying $90 for 5 models to make a 75pt unit.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The way I'm reading it being a GV can actually be a huge liability, since the Bounty Hunters battalion supercharges damage against GVs. Foregoing GVs as much as possible while focusing on non-GV bounty hunters and just doing huge damage is going to be a very viable strat for some armies, I think.

Can't cap if you're dead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Has there been anything more about the new cities range or should I just assume it's years away?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Not a peep since the mention during Warhammer week. Probably not years but release is definitely at some point in 2023.

Edit:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/06/27/magical-might-comes-to-the-fore-in-the-latest-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-battlebox/

New Battlebox announced, this time its Lumineth versus Tzeentch. With the Scinari Enlightener and a new sculpt of the Curseling as the new things.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Jun 27, 2022

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

Slap an Eldar helmet onto that Enlightener and you'd have a hell of a Farseer

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Floppychop posted:

After learning that some of these new missions are impossible to win without any Galletian Veteran units, anyone have a good conversion for Skryre Acolytes?

The GW ones that are the old globadiers look fine, but gently caress paying $90 for 5 models to make a 75pt unit.

Ive not assembled them yet, but I bought the Skaven Bloodbowl team and Ive been pretty happy with my pre-fitting and conversion ideas.

Now the entire box is not going to work for you. The two with capes went on to be Gutter Runners and the two big ones with punch-daggers went to my Stormvermin, but the rest fit well as lightly armored grenadier rats. The box comes with a handful of warpstone footballs that emanate some smoke so those were easy to add as grenades to open hands, plus some already have a "bomb" curled in their tails. If you have any storm fiend bits, the grinderfists bit is two metal half-spheres that fit over the hands. You can just take those two halves and fit them together into a larger spiked bomb. Here is a quick pic:

I figured grenadier rats would be an easy thing to create from the Blood Bowl box, plus I always appreciate a few alternate sculpts for some of the other rats. If I need more, I think it would be easy to clip up plague monks holding grenades and such.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

e: nvm, didn't see it was already posted

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 27, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Crazy Ferret posted:

Ive not assembled them yet, but I bought the Skaven Bloodbowl team and Ive been pretty happy with my pre-fitting and conversion ideas.

Now the entire box is not going to work for you. The two with capes went on to be Gutter Runners and the two big ones with punch-daggers went to my Stormvermin, but the rest fit well as lightly armored grenadier rats. The box comes with a handful of warpstone footballs that emanate some smoke so those were easy to add as grenades to open hands, plus some already have a "bomb" curled in their tails. If you have any storm fiend bits, the grinderfists bit is two metal half-spheres that fit over the hands. You can just take those two halves and fit them together into a larger spiked bomb. Here is a quick pic:

I figured grenadier rats would be an easy thing to create from the Blood Bowl box, plus I always appreciate a few alternate sculpts for some of the other rats. If I need more, I think it would be easy to clip up plague monks holding grenades and such.

I feel like the Blood Bowl team looks way too much like a blood bowl team, like their armor is clearly football pads.

I also want them to look more like globadiers, not just "rats throwing a spiked thing", especially since the globadier globes are smooth glass balls.

Geisladisk posted:

The way I'm reading it being a GV can actually be a huge liability, since the Bounty Hunters battalion supercharges damage against GVs. Foregoing GVs as much as possible while focusing on non-GV bounty hunters and just doing huge damage is going to be a very viable strat for some armies, I think.

Can't cap if you're dead.

Thanks to the proving grounds thing each round there's one objective on the table that can only be contested by GVs, which throws a huge wrench into any plans.

For example: The Lurkers Below battleplan. To hold the opponent's side objective you need to hold the middle, to hold the middle you need to hold yours. As long as the proving grounds is selected as your side objective you can never hold any of them if you don't have GV units.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

wonder if lumineth are getting a new book soon, they’ve only had 2 in the last 2 years

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I wonder if they're seeing some fatigue from these battle boxes, they've really been pushing then hard last year or two.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

wonder if lumineth are getting a new book soon, they’ve only had 2 in the last 2 years
All signs point to yes, a third book for Lumineth is coming in the next few months. Maybe even in weeks.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Talas posted:

All signs point to yes, a third book for Lumineth is coming in the next few months. Maybe even in weeks.

at this point they should just issue them as ring binders with room for extra pages

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Having three books in three years. Does this point to lumineth just selling like crazy? Seems odd when other armies haven’t had books for a bit.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

at this point they should just issue them as ring binders with room for extra pages

You might jest, but it would be helpful to have a rules and army list product that is a 3 ring binder so you can do errata and updates really easiy.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Most likely issues stemming from last years production and delivery issues. Or probably still very much ongoing production and delivery issues for that part.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Nash posted:

Having three books in three years. Does this point to lumineth just selling like crazy? Seems odd when other armies haven’t had books for a bit.

It's probably just COVID but iirc someone summarizing the 2020 GW shareholders report said Lumineth did sell really well.

That's a pretty good box of Aelfs, the hero is I guess a generic version of the Direchasm leader but I like the model better and all the units are good-to-great, especially with the new focus on infantry as bladelords and dawnriders both deal well with large units.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think the second book was because of Covid. This book is probably cause they sell

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I’m honestly expecting nerfs to Sentinels out of this box. They kinda need it.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Painted the old Nurgle Sorcerer. This resin model was only replaced by plastic a few months ago so it wasn't embarrassingly deep in my queue.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm surprised they kept the new curseling close visually to the original Warhammer Fantasy character. I wonder if the character will be around for the old world.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mors Rattus posted:

I’m honestly expecting nerfs to Sentinels out of this box. They kinda need it.

I think the best solution would be for Sunmetal weapons changing from Mortals on sixes to hit changing to Mortals on sixes to wound, or making it the same as Nighthaunt and having six to hit being an auto wound, but not a Mortal.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Lucinice posted:

I'm surprised they kept the new curseling close visually to the original Warhammer Fantasy character. I wonder if the character will be around for the old world.

I think he’s a relatively young Chaos champion so he would not be around during old world.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I don't think sentinels need many changes at this point. They've seen a couple of point hikes and don't do a ton of damage even though they obviously have great range and can ignore LOS. The problem is the Lambent Light spell that makes them much more effective.

stabbington
Sep 1, 2007

It doesn't feel right to kill an unarmed man... but I'll get over it.
The primary lumineth change I'm looking for is for bladelords to either get the sunmetal weapon rule or for them to rename their weapons to not be sunmetal, I don't really care which.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dreylad posted:

I don't think sentinels need many changes at this point. They've seen a couple of point hikes and don't do a ton of damage even though they obviously have great range and can ignore LOS. The problem is the Lambent Light spell that makes them much more effective.

Sentinels in a vacuum are fine but they don't exist in a vacuum.

They exist with buffs that make them do mortals on 5+ and reroll misses.

Even so a ranged unit that does mortals while ignoring LOS with huge range is just awful design regardless of efficiency. There is no possibility of counterplay of any kind.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

broken boy soldier posted:

3.) Any first time painting tips? And/or recommendations on paints to purchase? This is an expensive hobby and if I can save money on paint I can get the rest of my army sooner lols

GW are releasing a new set of Contrast paints in July which looks amazing and should make your painting much simpler. If you stay within their ecosystem you can rely on all their painting tutorials word for word pretty much and their paints are of good to great quality (along with a fair amount of technical stuff only they do unless you want to dabble in scale modelling powders, oils and enamels). And their stuff is very widely available. GW contrast will make it very easy to get very reasonable results as a beginner and you can use that as a base to try more advanced techniques. GW base paints also cover exceedingly well compared to the competition.

The downside of GW is that their paints are more expensive than the competition - this is more price per ml rather than absolute numbers. A bottle of paint for GW and Vallejo cost about the same but vallejo gives you 17ml per pot vs GW's 12ml. While this sounds like a lot, my experience is unless your army uses a lot of the same colour (eg stormcast), it is more likely for the pot to dry out long before it goes empty making the difference in volume academic.

Vallejo paints have great variety - their Model Air Metallics and Metal Colour ranges are amazing. Unfortunately there are also plenty of redundant colours in the range which only make a difference if you're a turbo historical grog but six different shades of medium grey are completely pointless for fantasy wargaming purposes.

Army Painter I've found are cheap GW knockoffs. I would rather buy GW or Vallejo for quality. They used to do a very nice Matte Varnish spray but even that's gone satin so I no longer buy any of their paints.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've never gone in to a GW store to ask for their free mini of the month... I find it hard to imagine, do you waltz up to the counter and engage in small talk or some kind of pretence of spending full-retail cash before saying "please sir, gimme the freebie"? But to think that in July the giveaway is a model I previously owned and sold like a hundred of over a decade ago is quite mindboggling...

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Marmaduke! posted:

I've never gone in to a GW store to ask for their free mini of the month... I find it hard to imagine, do you waltz up to the counter and engage in small talk or some kind of pretence of spending full-retail cash before saying "please sir, gimme the freebie"? But to think that in July the giveaway is a model I previously owned and sold like a hundred of over a decade ago is quite mindboggling...

when my buddy tried to get one, he said there's a line before the store even opens when the new monthly model is available and they get gotten real fast, they don't last long at all. I think once they've made it to lunch time the first day of the new model for a month, when it was a less popular model?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Chainclaw posted:

when my buddy tried to get one, he said there's a line before the store even opens when the new monthly model is available and they get gotten real fast, they don't last long at all. I think once they've made it to lunch time the first day of the new model for a month, when it was a less popular model?

It is very variable. The GW store near me gets pretty low traffic because it’s basically a closet and so has them well into the month. You just walk in and ask for one. Coin requires a hundred+ dollar purchase tho.

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

How many endless spells are gonna be flying around now? Can I feasibly run a list with no unbinds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

You always have the Heroic Willpower heroic action in a pinch.

I think there’s going to be a lot of endless spells around for a minute until people realize that paying for models you can’t reliably put on the table isn’t great and they go back to being used mostly just by the super spellcasting factions.