Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tarquinn posted:

I am not a minifig collector; why are those costumes bad, please? Is it about maintaining the purity of the minifig design? :confused:

I'm not being facetious here, I genuinely do not know.

I never said it was bad, I just pointed it out as something I found funny :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
I misunderstood then. My bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The costumes aren't inherently bad but they are completely out of ideas for original minifigures, so there's just a lot of stuff shoehorned into a costume that otherwise wouldn't work as a minifigure. People used to love them because it was novel but it seems to be all they do now, so it' kind of meh. To me that's the blandest run they have ever done. Not a single one I'd go out of my way for.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tarquinn posted:

I am not a minifig collector; why are those costumes bad, please? Is it about maintaining the purity of the minifig design? :confused:

I'm not being facetious here, I genuinely do not know.

I'm not going to get any at all. I'm just not into costumes at all.
I kinda like the robot and the knight, but not enough to go after them. I would've preferred a cooler knight.

I think most people find the costumes amusing, but not a must have thing. So a whole wave of nothing but costumes just kinda falls flat.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah there was a bit of a formula for a while where there'd be a classical history figure, a scifi thing, a monster thing, contemporary person in unique occupational outfit like a zoo keeper or hazmat suit, sportsperson, holiday themed outfit etc... And that was in each wave. Usually figures that weren't in any current theme or maybe used to gauge interest in future themes.

The novelty costume figures were cool when it was just 1 out of a wave, I dunno. Having them all being mascot costumes means it's just very limited in its appeal this time around. And yeah, feels like they're kind of out of ideas. Which is crazy, because there's endless amounts of figures you could do.

Usually there's at least one per wave, I'd want but this is the first where it's an easy pass. That's all.

e: the non costumed figures were also great for printed torsos, legs, arms etc... that could be used for other things.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 27, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I'm generally not the target market for CMFs, really only going back for the sick Blacktron and other unique space stuff that's come out over the years. The cardboard robot is cool, I think I'll make it a R2D2 in disguise. The castle callback is solid and the horse toy compliments the new castle's play area quite well. The series clearly needs a "classic-spaceman-in-a-new-unique-color-to-compliment-the-Galaxy-Explorer costume" minifig :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
What's the best way to get a bunch of various color minifig heads? The generic smile head in reddish brown is $2 on bricklink which is absurd

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

mastershakeman posted:

What's the best way to get a bunch of various color minifig heads? The generic smile head in reddish brown is $2 on bricklink which is absurd

The NBA heads have a lot of variety.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
There should be a CMF lineup that's just minifigs in generic non-Western clothes; Thawb Guy, Hanbok Lady, etc etc

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Futanari Damacy posted:

The NBA heads have a lot of variety.

Those faces though...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
A cardboard robot that is the most common color of cardboard that we all recognize, teal

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Boco_T posted:

A cardboard robot that is the most common color of cardboard that we all recognize, teal

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Speaking of intense cardboard situations, it looks like boxes will be coming for all CMFs, not just the new Mario series. Can't say that I'm the least bit surprised. Maybe the inside of the boxes will be teal and orange to build the lore behind the controversial robot coloring :v:

https://brickset.com/article/79016/new-collectable-minifigure-packaging

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Now lego needs to accept that collectors are going to obsess over getting the full set and offer a premium option to buy all 12 figures in one go instead of needing to buy an entire box of 36 to accomplish it.

Though I guess that will tank sales on the single minifig packs.. but if they mark it up enough maybe it doesn't matter? Toss in some bricks to build a display platform.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t care about the cardboard robot made from Tiffany’s boxes, where the hell is my Muppets Wave 2 CMF announcement, Lego???

You can’t just give me 40% of The Electric Mayhem and call it a day :colbert:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BaconCopter posted:

Speaking of intense cardboard situations, it looks like boxes will be coming for all CMFs, not just the new Mario series. Can't say that I'm the least bit surprised. Maybe the inside of the boxes will be teal and orange to build the lore behind the controversial robot coloring :v:

https://brickset.com/article/79016/new-collectable-minifigure-packaging

I wonder how much of this change is to stop people feeling through the bags for the minifigures they want. With this change I guess they could do another Mr. Gold

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also I finished building the 911 turbo over the weekend, I was really unenthused about the white color from product shots but man it looks nice in the flesh.

Lego really gotta elevate their photography game.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Booo. Can't wait to see dozens or torn open containers littering the shelves.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm not doing blind boxes. There's typically 2-4 per wave that I actually want, and the odds aren't good enough for me to gamble $5 each time. I'll just bricklink any that I might want, and my desire level for buying from bricklink will be higher than for feeling bags. I'll definitely end up purchasing far fewer overall.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I bought the whole Marvel wave for a reasonable markup on eBay, but then the Muppets I pre-ordered, and it was like three bucks more than if I somehow just bought 12 bags and got no dupes, so that's what I'll do every time from now on. The regular non-IP minifig series I've never wanted all of, and they don't seem to go up in price much so bricklink seems a great option for picking up ones you want.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

davebo posted:

I bought the whole Marvel wave for a reasonable markup on eBay, but then the Muppets I pre-ordered, and it was like three bucks more than if I somehow just bought 12 bags and got no dupes, so that's what I'll do every time from now on. The regular non-IP minifig series I've never wanted all of, and they don't seem to go up in price much so bricklink seems a great option for picking up ones you want.

I've said it for years. This is the way to do it. There have been waves where it was cheaper to buy on Ebay due to certain figs being rarer than others. I don't think I've ever paid more than it would cost to buy X number of figs in a store plus the tax. This doesn't even factor in the time.

xzzy posted:

Now lego needs to accept that collectors are going to obsess over getting the full set and offer a premium option to buy all 12 figures in one go instead of needing to buy an entire box of 36 to accomplish it.

Though I guess that will tank sales on the single minifig packs.. but if they mark it up enough maybe it doesn't matter? Toss in some bricks to build a display platform.

I think LEGO should do this and it should be cheaper due to less cost on their end in packaging. Make them store/website exclusive. It would make collectors happy and they'd still sell to kids in the individual packs.

The whole random thing is just BS and obviously them hoping for people to buy extras. The truth is that isn't really happening a whole lot any more, other than with the people who have a gambling fetish. And when the stores themselves will often have the packs labelled for people, then what is the point?

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

So, what's a better alternative than the paper box? Because thats the whole point of changing the packaging, Lego wants to move away from plastic in their packaging.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The paper box is fine. Not being able to buy what you want is the issue. Blind bags are exploiting the customer but at least we had the capacity to filter them. Blind boxes ruin that loophole.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
These are just loot boxes in real life. Super lame that Lego does it this way.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Actually, now that I think about it a ton of countries now have laws against lootboxes in videogames that were actually effective. I wonder how long it will take for those to be used against LEGO.

Also lmao if Europe ends up banning kindereggs for the same reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

deoju posted:

I'm not doing blind boxes. There's typically 2-4 per wave that I actually want, and the odds aren't good enough for me to gamble $5 each time. I'll just bricklink any that I might want, and my desire level for buying from bricklink will be higher than for feeling bags. I'll definitely end up purchasing far fewer overall.

Yeah I usually only bought the 1 or 2 I wanted per wave and now I’ll be buying zero. If there’s a really good one I’ll get it on eBay.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Taeke posted:

Actually, now that I think about it a ton of countries now have laws against lootboxes in videogames that were actually effective. I wonder how long it will take for those to be used against LEGO.

Also lmao if Europe ends up banning kindereggs for the same reason.

My understanding is that there are specific exclusions that draw a distinction between loot boxes and (for lack of a better term) unknown physical objects. The video game one does follow their legal definition of gambling. Purchasing a surprise object (like a chocolate with an unknown filling) is simply a surprise item.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The CMF aren't surprises, though. They are gambling.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Sash! posted:

My understanding is that there are specific exclusions that draw a distinction between loot boxes and (for lack of a better term) unknown physical objects. The video game one does follow their legal definition of gambling. Purchasing a surprise object (like a chocolate with an unknown filling) is simply a surprise item.
Didn't some company try to call loot boxes "surprise mechanics"?

It's kind of silly that something like a blind box toy can pass under the same classification as a chocolate with unknown filling. But I suspect it's just a matter of blind box toys not really coming under much scrutiny.

Mystery chocolates seems like a problem onto it's own, granted, while not gambling, seems like it could be an allergy hazard. Most assorted chocolates I've seen usually have a guide. Make blind box toys have to mark what's inside in a subtle location so people can be surprised if they want, but it's never actually concealed. (Obviously this wont happen since it'd reduce profits.)

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
They're blind bag collectables, they're fundamentally exploitative but like no more than pokemon cards or Kinder Suprise Toys. Yeah its random but you spent £3 on an actual thing, you can trade it or sell it if you get dupes.

Loot boxes in videogames are much worse in the same way fixed odds betting machines are worse than fruit machines. They're just so much more efficient at harvesting money. Like why is it possible for a kid to rack up thousands if dollars worth of purchases in loving Fifa, how is this even allowed?

I picked up another 3 of the muppets the other day, got three I hadn't got. 6/12 now, i probably won't push my luck any further and just ebay the other half now the odds have slipped to 50/50. I tried feeling the bags but i do not have the ability at all.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm not going to disagree loot boxes are so much worse - bottomless money pits of which you can just lose all your stuff once the game shuts down.

CMFs are 5$ Canadian which doesn't feel cheap for just a fig. "You can trade or sell dupes" I don't think is a very good defense, because it doesn't really mean much if you don't actually have anyone to trade or sell to without taking a huge hit on shipping. (And I don't think lootboxes would be any better if they adopted that strategy either.)

Kinder Surprises I can be a bit forgiving of because I see the toys as somewhat secondary - but with something like blind box toys you almost certainly are buying them for just the toy. I have no idea how to deal with something like TCG, but Pokemon cards are kind of gross in some ways on their own with the various layers of rarity.

Not saying blind bag toys are worst in the world, but maybe they shouldn't be a thing?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Oxyclean posted:

Make blind box toys have to mark what's inside in a subtle location so people can be surprised if they want, but it's never actually concealed.

Agreed :)

Oxyclean posted:

(Obviously this wont happen since it'd reduce profits.)

Agreed :(

Another alternative would be to number them. That way even if you wanted to go in completely blind you could still avoid getting 5 of the same minifigure. A couple of times I grabbed 6 or 7 of a new set just to experience the fun but when I end up with 3 of the same I feel ripped off by the whole system so I feel them all up.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

When I was a kid we only had baseball cards and those were worse than CMF in every way.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I dunno man. $3 in '80s money would get you like 6 packs of 15 card each. $3 only gets you one minifig and they don't even have stats printed on them

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Voice of Labor posted:

I dunno man. $3 in '80s money would get you like 6 packs of 15 card each. $3 only gets you one minifig and they don't even have stats printed on them

HOMEBREW TABLETOP LEGO GAMES ARE FUN

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
The problem with marking the packaging to make the selection process even easier than bag feeling is it ends up making the experience even worse for the people who do just try their luck, because now it's even less random when everyone picked all the Kermits from the Muppet wave so some kid just gets nothing but dupe Janices. I don't know if Lego is producing more of popular characters then others like Hasbro would with a wave of Marvel figures. I guess that's actually an advantage of loot boxes. When other people get the good stuff, it doesn't lower your chances of getting the good stuff any.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

davebo posted:

The problem with marking the packaging to make the selection process even easier than bag feeling is it ends up making the experience even worse for the people who do just try their luck, because now it's even less random when everyone picked all the Kermits from the Muppet wave so some kid just gets nothing but dupe Janices. I don't know if Lego is producing more of popular characters then others like Hasbro would with a wave of Marvel figures. I guess that's actually an advantage of loot boxes. When other people get the good stuff, it doesn't lower your chances of getting the good stuff any.

These people can buy loot boxes straight from the source.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If people want Kermit but not Janice then maybe they should put more Kermits on the shelves. Weird idea but it might work!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

davebo posted:

I don't know if Lego is producing more of popular characters then others like Hasbro would with a wave of Marvel figures.

Some (but not all) CMF waves have had uneven distributions. Doesn't seem to be a matter of whether the line is licensed either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The real answer is to just let people see what they are buying. I know blind packaging is a long running, successful way of grifting children but Lego still has the option to just not do it.