Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Friday the 13th has one good twist in the first movie, but beyond that, it's lucky it gets to hang out with its much cooler friend Freddy and leech off his mojo.

Jason X was, I think, the first occurrence of "Popular Monster: in Spaaaaaace!" so I'll at least give it credit for starting a fun trend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

i had never seen the original friday the 13th until earlier this year because when i saw the other ones (except 7) as a kid, the cable channels would usually only show like 3-6 and 8, and after watching it i was like "how did this spawn a franchise because its complete poo poo"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Skippy McPants posted:

Jason X was, I think, the first occurrence of "Popular Monster: in Spaaaaaace!" so I'll at least give it credit for starting a fun trend.

Leprechaun 4 beat it by like 5 years

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
friday the 13th has the arrow through the throat kill which is one of the best kills in the entire series

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jun 27, 2022

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The Kevin Bacon kill is probably the highlight of the movie.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

freddy got fingered sure was a weird sequel

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Leprechaun 4 is entirely too much fun for what it is, also it has the dude who played Lieutenant Gruber in Allo Allo as a scientist that turns into a half spider thing and it will never not be funny to me that it's that guy.

*Did America get Allo Allo? Because it's a sitcom that I'm still baffled ever existed.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Why was there 400 posts. Did someone say they didn't like Zack Snyder.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Jason X is a legit fun ride as well. It starts gleefully stupid and just keeps on escalating.

Plus the whole nitrogen bath kill, just an all time great.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Jason takes Manhattan isn't good but the headpunch kill has really fun cinematography so I can't hate the film

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Thia thread just brings out my toxic side way too fast and too frequently so I'm just gonna unbookmark it :cheerdoge:

Sorry y'all

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Fil5000 posted:

Leprechaun 4 is entirely too much fun for what it is, also it has the dude who played Lieutenant Gruber in Allo Allo as a scientist that turns into a half spider thing and it will never not be funny to me that it's that guy.

*Did America get Allo Allo? Because it's a sitcom that I'm still baffled ever existed.

Good god someone can do a 10hour essay on that show and how it was entirely too convoluted to keep track of who had that one damned painting of 'Madonna with the Big Boobies'

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DeafNote posted:

Good god someone can do a 10hour essay on that show and how it was entirely too convoluted to keep track of who had that one damned painting of 'Madonna with the Big Boobies'

Also, like, I can get in the headspace of "these slapstick German officers are probably not big time nazis and they've been stationed in this sleepy village to keep them out of the way", but the fact that they have a pair of GESTAPO officers as comedy characters still breaks my brain.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGT8hoUehI
Still in the middle of watching this but a pretty good OKI about a wannabe military guy who decided to live out his special forces fantasies during the American invasion of Afghanistan.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
With the Friday the 13th discussion going on, I'm gonna repost the old Scaredy Cats video where Mildred talks about how the series as a whole doesn't really make a lot of sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNkgE62uxHA. I'm also going to argue that none of the the Friday the 13th movies remembering or caring what the previous ones were doing isn't a bad thing.

Also gonna throw in this video of a guy with a soothing accent reading old-timey ghost stories for an hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f6eh0Gt_yA

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Gang tags are just images on the SA server, so to start with someone has to either buy it as an avatar to upload it, or a mod or admin has to upload it and add it to your custom title. You can add the image url to your custom title when you’re updating your avatar too, though.

But to your point, it’s possible to get a gang tag and not ask for it or buy it. I think most of the time it’s done to regulars in a thread or by asking mods though. Not sure if anyone’s gotten one handed to them as a joke.

I actually got one of mine as a joke (I assume) from posting in the gangtag museum thread in QCS. Someone was gifting people there random gangtags.

While it's possible to give people gangtags, I can't imagine someone doing it for redtext reasons when it's easier to just... redtext and maybe add some kind of gross avatar. You'd have to know the tag exists, track it down, and then add it by url, which is all stuff that's harder to do when you're mad enough to want to spend ten bux owning someone on the dead gay forums. At the very least, somewhere along the process you'd have to stop and go, "Why the gently caress am I putting all this effort in when redtext is right there?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Karloff posted:

I have the fairly unpopular opinion of liking Part 3 the best. Handstand kill goes a long way.

IMO it's dragged down by having a very boring final girl after Part 2's Ginny. It does have the first appearance of hockey mask Jason which is certainly a plus after Part 2's weird baghead Jason that throws tantrums. It also has Shelly as what might be the first self-loathing comic relief in one of these slasher films and is certainly an upgrade from the first two movies and I am 100% sure he sees the irony in his death.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

jaso is a lake monster and sometimes a forest monster but he is mostly a lake monster

Except in Freddy vs. Jason where Jason is scared of water because ???

Junpei Hyde posted:

Jason takes Manhattan isn't good but the headpunch kill has really fun cinematography so I can't hate the film

Jason Takes (A Small Chattered Cruise Ship to Vancouver Pretending To Be) Manhattan.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Jason On a Boat just didn't seem like a good title compared to the films acrual title.

Should have been called Jason Gores Fishing.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Holy poo poo, Leprechaun 4 came out in 1997? The first one was only 93!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Holy poo poo, Leprechaun 4 came out in 1997? The first one was only 93!

The first Friday the 13th came out in 1980 and the 8th (Jason Takes Manhattan) came out in 1989.

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVGT8hoUehI
Still in the middle of watching this but a pretty good OKI about a wannabe military guy who decided to live out his special forces fantasies during the American invasion of Afghanistan.

CW: there's a lengthy interview with an ex-wife who talks about how she was abused.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I've never seen a Friday the 13th movie besides the one with Freddy. I was always more of a Nightmare kid.

Fil5000 posted:

Also, like, I can get in the headspace of "these slapstick German officers are probably not big time nazis and they've been stationed in this sleepy village to keep them out of the way", but the fact that they have a pair of GESTAPO officers as comedy characters still breaks my brain.

Jojo Rabbit had the right kind of comical Gestapo officers. Ludicrous for their adherence to protocol and propaganda yet nonetheless terrifying at all times.
LadyKnighttheBrave had a good video about that.

But in general I also can see the point behind the idea of 'the only way to treat Nazis is to ridicule them'

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sack jason owns

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Part 9 is great if you turn it off after 12 minutes, and it's just a movie about Jason being obliterated by mortar fire. Then some guy spliced his Evil Dead fanfiction onto the reel and it sucked

8 wasnt great but it had a bunch of the best scenes. The head punch kill, Jason pulling up his mask to spook the thugs, even the fact that the mask he wears in this one is in universe Jason merchandise because of course that would be a thing

I loving love Friday the 13th, the dumber it gets the happier I am. 1 and 6 are the only ones I'd say are genuinely good but I love them all

cugel
Jan 22, 2010
I'm always most fond of the first one in series. Even with Friday the 13th. Betsy Palmer did a fun baddie.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Danaru posted:

Part 9 is great if you turn it off after 12 minutes, and it's just a movie about Jason being obliterated by mortar fire. Then some guy spliced his Evil Dead fanfiction onto the reel and it sucked

Pfftttt Jason goes to hell owns

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol if you wouldnt eat jasons still beating heart so that you could be possessed by jason's ghost that is made out of worms

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 27, 2022

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
mrs vorhees was very formative to me

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

sack jason owns

not being very familiar with this series I had no idea he was good in the sack

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like it was a lot easier to turn the nazis into ineffectual goofs when we weren't facing a resurgent fascism all across the globe.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

fun hater posted:

mrs vorhees was very formative to me

I actually managed to not know Jason wasn't in the first movie when I watched, so it became a huge accidental twist :v: Pam owns

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Danaru posted:

I actually managed to not know Jason wasn't in the first movie when I watched, so it became a huge accidental twist :v: Pam owns

:same:

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
honest question does the snyder tag have a discord or something

i ask because i don't think i've ever seen a thread derailed so hard by so many people all at the same time having the same meltdown with the same gang tag

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

they universally all are regular posters here, who commented on a favored topic they care about as much as anyone here does about their favorite thing, it's not a loving conspiracy, please stop

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i ask because i don't think i've ever seen a thread derailed so hard by so many people all at the same time having the same meltdown with the same gang tag

There is a chat in the Discord CD thread but like, a lot of people with the tag just lurk the thread. I have it bookmarked and everything, it's a feature.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

they are all connected together via the snyderverse

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Now that you mention it, The Watchmen movie verifies the implication that the Comedian killed JFK as part of its opening montage. Can all the Snyder Cult gangtaggers substantiate their location for all of November 1963?

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

Now that you mention it, The Watchmen movie verifies the implication that the Comedian killed JFK as part of its opening montage. Can all the Snyder Cult gangtaggers substantiate their location for all of November 1963?

What comes before "sperm"? Something like "a collection of DNA markers in my future parents genetic code" I guess

which I mean a likely story, right?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Guy A. Person posted:

What comes before "sperm"? Something like "a collection of DNA markers in my future parents genetic code" I guess

which I mean a likely story, right?

Please, that didn’t stop the Zodiac Killer.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Famethrowa posted:

they universally all are regular posters here, who commented on a favored topic they care about as much as anyone here does about their favorite thing, it's not a loving conspiracy, please stop

ok wow i didn't realize this was completely normal and cool behavior, thanks. i guess i have to reevaluate sucker punch now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
who watches the watchman? *chuckles* well...