Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

gradenko_2000 posted:

A history channel thread that's only for ww2 posting

a dadposting thread could be fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

A history channel thread that's only for ww2 posting

Hitler and associates: a thread

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Slavvy posted:

Hitler and associates: a thread

Political figures and events thread

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
lol thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite LF threads: the hitler auditions

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180161

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Raskolnikov38 posted:

lol thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite LF threads: the hitler auditions

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3180161

it's a good thread

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fly Molo posted:

got it
same thing
itt
covid thread
biosphere collapse thread
pre-history is not the same as pre-modern history. pre-modern history only goes back as far as history.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

pre-history is not the same as pre-modern history. pre-modern history only goes back as far as history.

fine, fair, pre-history = ufo thread

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
we really only need one history thread because history only goes to about 1600 AD according to my good friend Garry Kasparov

two-time fee
Jan 13, 2022
And the only quotable source permitted should be Dan Carlin.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Any Carlin

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Southpaugh posted:

yeah starting to think we should have one history thread - means we might get more history to read for those of us who like to read history posts about history. I don't mean historical posts. I mean posts ABOUT history.

Just make the thread OP.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Here you go I made one for you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005708

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Hey guess what Mike Duncan's episode on Stalin's industrialization policy is awful in the exact way you'd imagine.

Most egregiously he states that "there are better ways to industrialize" about twenty minutes after he acknowledged the USSRs unprecedented jump in industrial capacity during the period

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

"weird all of these other better ways are just letting capitalists pillage the country and leave it entirely unprepared for an attack by a hyper aggressive neighbor"

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dreddout posted:

Hey guess what Mike Duncan's episode on Stalin's industrialization policy is awful in the exact way you'd imagine.

Most egregiously he states that "there are better ways to industrialize" about twenty minutes after he acknowledged the USSRs unprecedented jump in industrial capacity during the period

i only tune in to an episode of revolutions anymore when im explicitly trying to get outraged. he’s such a dumbfuck lib I can’t even listen to it casually any more

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
duncan voice: kornilov was just a misunderstood patriot and the bolsheviks were super mean to the anarchists :qq:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

He goes off on a holodomer (ofc he doesn't mention the origin of the term) rant about Russia punishing Ukraine while conveniently leaving out the fact the famine took place in the russified eastern half of the country

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Anyway one more episode to go followed by final thoughts on the podcast as a whole. I'm sure we'll get some 🔥 takes

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Fly Molo posted:

duncan voice: kornilov was just a misunderstood patriot and the bolsheviks were super mean to the anarchists :qq:

People earlier in the thread were kind enough to post transcripts on the Kornilov idiocy, but did he at least have the decency to mention the Leontievsky Lane bombings wrt to anarchists?

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

Fly Molo posted:

I mean, was he trying to be against bolsheviks?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i really like mike duncan and i'll defend his History Of Rome work and a good chunk of Revolutions but yeah, i'm not even listening to him anymore wrt the russian one. He really chose to end his podcast by laying his lib chips on the table huh

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
Jan 6th happened while he was balls deep in French revolutionary history primary source research in lockdown Paris and it extremely broke his brain. it's a shame, some of the ones up to there genuinely are excellent :(

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Im pretty sure he just showed who he already mostly was. It's just that say...roman history is distant enough for him to be down with like, the gracchi.
It's why i love totalius rankium as fun mostly stupid entertainment but will never listen to their u.s. presidents one. Distance deadens.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Good post/username combo.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Riot Bimbo posted:

i really like mike duncan and i'll defend his History Of Rome work and a good chunk of Revolutions but yeah, i'm not even listening to him anymore wrt the russian one. He really chose to end his podcast by laying his lib chips on the table huh
he was always a smooth-brained lib. it was just less explicit in his earlier works because of the subject matter revolving around pre- or early capitalist history, with a lot of the revolutions in question being against the old aristocracy. i think i listened to his series on the french revolution, until i couldn't take it anymore. even there you could spot what was to come. finding out he went Full Lib when hitting the october revolution is no surprise.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im pretty sure he just showed who he already mostly was. It's just that say...roman history is distant enough for him to be down with like, the gracchi.
It's why i love totalius rankium as fun mostly stupid entertainment but will never listen to their u.s. presidents one. Distance deadens.

good news, totalus rankium thinks almost every president is terrible

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hey daily reminder: Winston Churchill was not the democratically elected leader of a democracy in WW2

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hey daily reminder: Winston Churchill was not the democratically elected leader of a democracy in WW2

yeah if they'd taken a vote across all of europe he probably would have lost to hitler

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Dustcat posted:

yeah if they'd taken a vote across all of europe he probably would have lost to hitler

I mean, if they simply took a vote in the House of Lords he would've lost to Hitler

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No British prime minister is directly elected to the role. It's a royal appointment. Nevertheless he was elected as an MP and appointed as Prime Minister with the support of the majority of the house of commons, ie in the usual way. If you are referring to the war time government continuing without further elections, it does not change that he was elected to the role in the normal fashion in line with the constitution of the United Kingdom.

Oh and I feel like you are severely underestimating the racism of the lords if you think they would have voted for a foreigner and a commoner over churchill.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/War_Takes/status/1543603875231502339?t=MxwxGf3TPrnFezxpEHL_TQ&s=19

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg! Fredericksburg!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

going to gettysburg and seeing where the charge started from and the marker pointing out where the union lines are on the horizon makes even the stupidest student of war go "how the gently caress did lee think this was going to work"

a pity lee made pickett burn his original report on the charge for being overly critical of perhaps someone

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Weka posted:

No British prime minister is directly elected to the role. It's a royal appointment. Nevertheless he was elected as an MP and appointed as Prime Minister with the support of the majority of the house of commons, ie in the usual way. If you are referring to the war time government continuing without further elections, it does not change that he was elected to the role in the normal fashion in line with the constitution of the United Kingdom.

Oh and I feel like you are severely underestimating the racism of the lords if you think they would have voted for a foreigner and a commoner over churchill.
the uk isn't a democracy

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

going to gettysburg and seeing where the charge started from and the marker pointing out where the union lines are on the horizon makes even the stupidest student of war go "how the gently caress did lee think this was going to work"

a pity lee made pickett burn his original report on the charge for being overly critical of perhaps someone
It's even more fun when you go to Gettysburg and walk the actual route of Pickett's charge and it sucks even without people shooting at you

Lee was good at defense, and he was good at inspiring the only troops that matter, the lower ranks. He was poo poo at offensive operations. He was also really good at shifting blame to subordinates. In that he'd give kind of vague orders to people, and if they did well then it was Lee the genius who got all the credit, and if they did bad it was his horrible underlings who ruined Lee's amazing plans. This was really evident at Gettysburg, with Ewell.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Most battle diagrams for me are like "hmm yes ok *nods*" cause you can't see anything decisive and it's just a bunch of boxes with an x in the middle crowding around Stalingrad or w/e but this is just an amazing, beautifully diagrammatised fuckup.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

As brilliant a self-own as this is, I think July 4th is an even more important one because Vicksburg is taken and Confederate troops are beaten at Helena so it's the decisive smackdown that the Confederacy is cut in half and they no longer have a way to get troops or supplies across the Mississippi in any great numbers.

MeatwadIsGod has issued a correction as of 13:10 on Jul 6, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

the uk isn't a democracy

We have elections.

Simple as

End of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

And if you're too left wing you might just end up couped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXfoKJEqRPs