Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

When would I use Lutris vs. Retroarch (via Emudeck)?

My understanding of Lutris is that it's a frontend for games. It integrates with several storefronts, like Epic and GOG, allowing you to install and launch games from those storefronts.

It also apparently serves a Retroarch like function where it can install "runners" (similar to "cores"?) to run games, including emulated games? Is that right?

So what would motivate someone to choose Lutris vs Retroarch if they're focusing on emulation on Deck?
If you're doing emulation why not just EmuDeck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lWBl7xodb4

As for installing non-steam non-emulated games, as I've gathered there's Heroic Launcher and Lutris but Heroic seems to be having save game problems on the deck so I guess that leaves only Lutris even if it's not as easy to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fywLML7eCUQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

Valve Steam Deck posted:

If you're doing emulation why not just EmuDeck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lWBl7xodb4

lol this is exactly what I am asking. I know EmuDeck exists and apparently is the most popular way to install emulators.

Why? What advantages does it have over Lutris? Does Lutris have any advantages over EmuDeck?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

From what I understand EmuDeck ties into Steam Rom Manager (I think it’s from the same devs), a utility that can add individual games into your Steam library so you can just launch them like any other game.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

njsykora posted:

From what I understand EmuDeck ties into Steam Rom Manager (I think it’s from the same devs), a utility that can add individual games into your Steam library so you can just launch them like any other game.

Personally, I love Emudeck for installing/configuring everything automatically including EmulationStation, but I have unticked everything in Steam Rom Manager apart from EmulationStation. I'm not a fan of every single rom having its own entry in Steam, I'd rather just fire up ES and browse from there. If Lutris follows the 'every rom as a non-steam game' model, that would be a major reason to use EmuDeck instead as far as I'm concerned.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

lol this is exactly what I am asking. I know EmuDeck exists and apparently is the most popular way to install emulators.

Why? What advantages does it have over Lutris? Does Lutris have any advantages over EmuDeck?
TLDR: use emudeck for everything emulation based, lutris for games from non-steam sources like epic/gog

Don't use lutris for emulation. Lutris is a front-end for various game stores and helps out with running software through the correct compatibility layer (proton, wine, etc). This saves you from manually installing and applying compatibility, and everything can be found in a single tool. It also provides you with all kinds of emulators as a way to run games that need them. Emulators are all native on linux, they don't need proton or whatever to run. You can install emulators directly from the discover store ('flatpacks'), or you can grab retroarch from steam or lutris or whatever, and it just works.

However, you'll need to set up all up and integrate emulators into steam to be able to run them in gaming mode without hassle. That's where emudeck comes in.

Emudeck is just a script that downloads and installs all the emulators for you from the store, and then it sets them all up (controls, resolutions, makes folders to drop in roms/bios/etc), and it also adds things to your steam library to easily run them from gaming mode. You can either put direct shortcuts to games into steam, single emulators, or a link to emulation station which is a separate front end to run your emulation from. Really nice and compact script that does exactly what you'll need.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm blown away by how easy emudeck was. You need a little extra configuration for systems that need BIOS etc, but it's straightforward and Steam ROM manager works great. I've often toyed with setting up an emulation system and this is the first one that has really clicked for me and allowed me to spend more time playing games than tweaking settings.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Balls on the date. I totally missed that 'or later' bit.

:negative:

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Balls on the date. I totally missed that 'or later' bit.

:negative:

The way I see it, it's either "October 2022" or "later", so that's a 50% chance! :buddy:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

FishMcCool posted:

The way I see it, it's either "October 2022" or "later", so that's a 50% chance! :buddy:

I appreciate your optimism.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The calculator says my reservation has almost a year of orders to go. Idk if I'll still be interested a year from now, but I can't make it go any faster so whatever

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I know manufacturing and shipping is hard for everyone right now but, even for a niche device, only being an hour or two into the pre-order queue four months later is honestly embarrassing. It’s the main reason I have zero hope of the device ever truly going mainstream.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Looks like the EU queue is past the initial preorder rush and accelerating:

the same search with the US queue:

e: the scale is different for those charts, it looks even worse if you display the full scale

Ebay listings are also starting to get closer to MSRP here

Tamba fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jun 27, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Eat it USAilures

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pirate Jet posted:

I know manufacturing and shipping is hard for everyone right now but, even for a niche device, only being an hour or two into the pre-order queue four months later is honestly embarrassing. It’s the main reason I have zero hope of the device ever truly going mainstream.

The PS5 has been on effective backlog for close to two years and outside some jokes no one really cares

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

The PS5 has been on effective backlog for close to two years and outside some jokes no one really cares

Yeah, but also even with the constraints it’s still outselling the PS4 at the same point in its lifetime, meaning that the bigger issue for the current-gen consoles isn’t supply constraint but that demand for them is significantly higher than their predecessors. The Deck is a niche device that only a subset of a subset of gamers are into, and given that Valve has said their goal is for there to be enough mainstream interest in it that they can sell it on store shelves, the odds of that practically ever happening at this point are slim to none. This is a really great device for people who were interested in it enough to pre-order it day one, and I have no doubt it’s exceeding sales expectations for Valve, but I’d say any dreams of it expanding interest in PC gaming and/or Linux are effectively dead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Well good for you thinking that I guess it’s not really based on anything so no one else should take it that serious

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
The deck is selling like hotcakes and interest has far surpassed any optimistic hopes Gabe Newell had. Literally the guy making all the decisions in the end. I'm sure he shares your view of this launch not being a success and failing to meet any goals.

Are you one of his former managers at Microsoft that lead to him quitting?

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I got the 'Punching Deck' achievement in Shadowrun Hong Kong on the Steam Deck, felt pretty cool bout it

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Since the official dock is delayed to who knows when, what docks/hubs are you all using?

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

I think the whole concept of verified on deck could turn out to be really useful for steam in the future as its going to drive developers to tweak things where they can for compatibility, which in turn will make it easier for steam them to sell future iterations of the hardware or other platforms that are uncoupled from Windows. Feels like quite a virtuous circle.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Missionary Positron posted:

Since the official dock is delayed to who knows when, what docks/hubs are you all using?

I just got an Anker USB-C hub and it's worked out great when I need to install or manage something in desktop mode

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I just got an Anker USB-C hub and it's worked out great when I need to install or manage something in desktop mode

Yeah, just an Anker 341 in my case. Works fine. Charges. HDMI port. Can't complain.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Pirate Jet posted:

Yeah, but also even with the constraints it’s still outselling the PS4 at the same point in its lifetime, meaning that the bigger issue for the current-gen consoles isn’t supply constraint but that demand for them is significantly higher than their predecessors. The Deck is a niche device that only a subset of a subset of gamers are into, and given that Valve has said their goal is for there to be enough mainstream interest in it that they can sell it on store shelves, the odds of that practically ever happening at this point are slim to none. This is a really great device for people who were interested in it enough to pre-order it day one, and I have no doubt it’s exceeding sales expectations for Valve, but I’d say any dreams of it expanding interest in PC gaming and/or Linux are effectively dead.

There's more to the PS5 story than that though. While sales are apparently high, software sales are not keeping pace for whatever reason. That's why a bunch of games that were PS5 only have either also received PS4 versions or are coming to Steam. Sony's basically scrambling to get their software available wherever they can because PS5 software sales have been abysmal.

Trucker Hat
Jul 25, 2021

Missionary Positron posted:

The Canada Computers house brand iCan powered USB hub. I've only used it for setting up EmuDeck and it only has 2 USB ports, but it cost 25 bucks and gets the job done.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Dramicus posted:

There's more to the PS5 story than that though. While sales are apparently high, software sales are not keeping pace for whatever reason. That's why a bunch of games that were PS5 only have either also received PS4 versions or are coming to Steam. Sony's basically scrambling to get their software available wherever they can because PS5 software sales have been abysmal.
i mean the ps5 has like 20 million units in the wild vs the ps4 with like 150 million, it makes a ton of sense for Sony to keep selling PS4 versions until that gap closes a little more

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

The deck is selling like hotcakes and interest has far surpassed any optimistic hopes Gabe Newell had. Literally the guy making all the decisions in the end. I'm sure he shares your view of this launch not being a success and failing to meet any goals.

Are you one of his former managers at Microsoft that lead to him quitting?

I have zero idea how you pulled from my posts "the Deck is selling poorly" instead of "the manufacturing of the Deck has been poor," especially considering I just said I have no doubt it's exceeding expectations.

Dramicus posted:

I don't think that's it - while PS5 sales are accelerating faster than the PS4, the PS4 still has a seven-year lead and there's considerably more of them in the wild. Making a game only for an audience only a fifth of the size doesn't make sense. And as for Steam, every Playstation game that's been coming to PC has been a game that's at least a year or two old and Jim Ryan has said the whole strategy is to only port a game to PC once it's sold the majority of the copies it ever will on Playstation - they view it as an extra revenue stream with comparatively little effort, not a way to make up for sagging sales. It's possible PS5 games are showing a low attach rate, but I don't think that's the reason for either the prevalence of cross-gen games or PC ports.

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 27, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dramicus posted:

Do you have a link to more info about this?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm doing my first day of work on a Linux desktop in well over a decade because of the Steam Deck, a product made by Valve Corporate whose CEO, Gabe Newell, called me to say "good on you."

Elden Ring runs a treat on this Fedora 36 install. You can install Steam as a Flatpak, a fully self contained install file (a container), which means you don't even have to worry about dependencies and stuff. Steam will update itself as normal. Tick the Steam Play option for non-native games that enables Proton and you can install all the games that would run on the Deck.

The biggest issue is NVidia drivers and that can vary from distro to distro, but it can take a bit of mucking around to get right depending on the distro. AMD cards will just work.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Dramicus posted:

I mean it doesn't really suprise me, all of the stuff that was going to theoretically be PS5 console exclusives during 2020-2021 seem to have said "gently caress it it's easy enough to drop for both" and did so, and since nearly every PS4 game is playable on the PS5 there's nearly 0 reason for any non-AAA developer to explicitly cut down on their potential playerbase by going PS5-only (unless I guess they really need some function of those brand new PS5 controllers that means you can't use PS4 controllers on the PS5, the nature of which I've already forgotten)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1541459263444332544

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

v1ld posted:

The biggest issue is NVidia drivers and that can vary from distro to distro, but it can take a bit of mucking around to get right depending on the distro. AMD cards will just work.

no improvement notable yet? after all nvidia went kinda open source for part of their driver back in May iirc - a major move even if it's only for turing+ampere

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

Do you have a link to more info about this?

https://www.gamebyte.com/playstation-5-games-selling-poorly-in-japan-despite-good-console-sales/
You can also see it in every single Famitsu sales report. Every week sales are completely dominated by Switch and PS4 titles, with the occasional PS5 title making it into the list.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/famitsu-sales-6-13-22-6-19-22

Of course this is just for Japan but it seems to line up with Sony's recent push to get all their big 1st party titles on Steam.

It could also be that people are mostly just playing their PS4 library on the PS5. That's my main interest in the PS5. I just want to play certain PS4 games at 60fps.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Dramicus posted:

https://www.gamebyte.com/playstation-5-games-selling-poorly-in-japan-despite-good-console-sales/
You can also see it in every single Famitsu sales report. Every week sales are completely dominated by Switch and PS4 titles, with the occasional PS5 title making it into the list.

https://www.gematsu.com/2022/06/famitsu-sales-6-13-22-6-19-22

Of course this is just for Japan but it seems to line up with Sony's recent push to get all their big 1st party titles on Steam.

It could also be that people are mostly just playing their PS4 library on the PS5. That's my main interest in the PS5. I just want to play certain PS4 games at 60fps.

Japan accounts for less than 1/10 of global PS5 sales, Sony probably isn't making major PC port decisions based on software sales there.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Papercut posted:

Japan accounts for less than 1/10 of global PS5 sales, Sony probably isn't making major PC port decisions based on software sales there.

Obviously, its just an indication of what might be going on, especially since Sony groups all their global PS5 sales numbers with PS4 numbers. Japan is one of the few places where we can get clear numbers as to what's selling on which platform.

Sony won't separate the PS5 game sales from PS4, they always offer the total number. I have a feeling PS5 is only a tiny fraction of that number.

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

The calculator says my reservation has almost a year of orders to go. Idk if I'll still be interested a year from now, but I can't make it go any faster so whatever

I don't know which calculator you're referring to, but it's possible you're misinterpreting what it says.

With at least some of the calculators, when they tell you how many days of orders are ahead of you it doesn't mean you need to wait that many days before your order is up. Rather, it's telling you "there are X days on which people placed an order ahead of you".

So if you ordered on May 15 and it said there were five days ahead of you this would mean all orders placed on May 10, 11, 12, 13, and 14 need to be processed before your order will be processed.

If Valve is processing orders fast (e.g., if it takes them one day to process all the orders which arrived over a span of two days), then your order would be ready in 2.5 days rather than in 5 days.

If Valve is processing orders slowly (e.g., if it takes them five days to process all the orders which arrived on a given day), then your order would be ready in 25 days rather than in 5 days.

So far, in the US for 512GB models, Valve has been processing the orders slowly. They've only processed the orders which arrived in the first few hours during which it was possible to order a Deck.

However, it's safe to assume the rate at which Valve processes orders will speed up. First, Valve has said so directly:

Second, the number of people ordering per day probably went down over time. To make some numbers up, the orders might look like this:

- Day 1: 500,000 orders
- Day 2: 300,000 orders
- Day 3: 80,000 orders
- Day 4: 25,000 orders
- Day 5: 10,000 orders
- Day 6 onward: About 3,000 orders

Now imagine that Valve can fulfill 10,000 orders per day. It will take this long to process the orders from each day:

- Day 1: 50 days
- Day 2: 30 days
- Day 3: 8 days
- Day 4: 2.5 days
- Day 5: 1 day
- Day 6 onward: About 3 days of orders processed every day

Those numbers are made up, but it's probably a good guess that the number of orders is very heavily weighted toward day 1.

So, if you have a year's worth of orders ahead of you it does not necessarily mean you have a year to wait.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have a long haul flight (about 12 hours) coming up.

I have been going nuts over Crystal Project recently. It's mellow and comfortable and uncannily compelling if you like JRPG job systems or world-exploration. At some point I started needing guides because I'm prone to getting lost but definitely not during the first 12, and probably not 24 hours.

I also got great chill enjoyment out of Subnautica on the Switch last time I had to fly halfway across the globe. It's 80% chill 20% freak-the-heck-out.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Just ordered mine! Can't believe I was in the literal last emails for Q2 but gently caress it we ball

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Obviously, its just an indication of what might be going on, especially since Sony groups all their global PS5 sales numbers with PS4 numbers. Japan is one of the few places where we can get clear numbers as to what's selling on which platform.

Sony won't separate the PS5 game sales from PS4, they always offer the total number. I have a feeling PS5 is only a tiny fraction of that number.

Japan has always been mobile-centric, so the Switch basically took Nintendo's already dominant handheld hardware sales and rolled up its "console" sales into it. So you can't extrapolate anything about global PS5 sales from Famitsu sales charts.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

another perfect Deck game: Dysmantle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Not that I’m getting one anytime soon but how easy is it to actually do gamepass on this thing? I assume difficult enough to make it impossible