Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Yeah this seems like unearned optimism and just Mueller Time redux to me.

I’m not quite as optimistic as Faustus but I do see this situation as substantially different than Mueller.

Mueller is a life long Republican who was deeply involved with spreading the Bush Jr ‘Hussein has Nukes lie’ to promote the fascist agenda. His investigation was deliberately hamstrung by Trump and the DoJ with their, “can’t accuse Trump” doctrine and his final, already milquetoast conclusion that, “If I could say Trump was not guilty’ of conspiring with Russia, ‘I would’ which was further neutered by Barr and a feckless media.

Here we have direct documented evidence of Trump committing a multitude of crimes at the state and federal level. There isn’t just one seditious act here, there are dozens, and also a host of lesser crimes like bribery and extortion and not just a sole special investigator with everything funneling through him but multiple investigations at multiple levels. The DoJ investigation of the Georgia Letter activities by Clark is unique from the fraudulent electors conspiracy investigation is unique from the proud boys and oath keepers conspiracy investigation and is unique from the Eastman plot to violate the Electoral count even though all are tied to it and all of this is completely separate from the Georgia phone call and other similar calls to other states.

This is far different than a connection through Roger Stone to WikiLeaks and then to the GRU.

That said, that DoJ was aware of Clark from the moment it happened and we’re just now seeing them seize his electronics is disheartening to say the least. He attempted to bribe Rosen with his own loving job on Jan 03 in a conspiracy to defraud the people of Georgia of their electoral votes and it’s taken 17 months to get enough probable cause of a crime to get a search warrant? The GOP leaders submitting fraudulent electors ballots was known from the day they were received at the archives and that’s just started moving in the last few months?

I almost wonder if the OLC guy from the last hearing, who backed many of Trumps heinous plays for authority, didn’t turbo gently caress the investigation from the outset with some dubious legal opinion that needed to be overcome first internally because from where I am “we needed all hands on deck to clear the 800 Jan 6 rioters through the system first” seems like a deliberately losing strategy designed to distract while the rats scurry for cover. On the other hand though the electors, Georgia letter and electoral count act conspiracies are just by their nature well documented and less ephemeral.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

loling that there was an entire documentary crew filming crimes

there were two, but the one in the white house is much funnier than the one embedded with the proud boys

fake edit: three if you count the one attached to alex jones, which i do not think i do

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Murgos posted:

I’m not quite as optimistic as Faustus but I do see this situation as substantially different than Mueller.

Mueller is a life long Republican who was deeply involved with spreading the Bush Jr ‘Hussein has Nukes lie’ to promote the fascist agenda. His investigation was deliberately hamstrung by Trump and the DoJ with their, “can’t accuse Trump” doctrine and his final, already milquetoast conclusion that, “If I could say Trump was not guilty’ of conspiring with Russia, ‘I would’ which was further neutered by Barr and a feckless media.

Here we have direct documented evidence of Trump committing a multitude of crimes at the state and federal level.

There's half a dozen political Imbruglios I can think of involving the Executive branch in the past half century, putting aside the nest of insanity that was the Nixon administration that literally had top officials recorded on tape planning to rob and possibly kill a psychiatrist, that invariably turned to mist and slapped wrists because at the end of the day, the Justice department, our courts, and our entire legal system, is a political animal first and foremost.

So yeah it maybe feels good to talk about any of these characters seeing some comeuppance but when the invariable happens and nothing really manifests, the dashing of these sorts of hopes can do some real damage to a person

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

And just to clarify, I do think every drat one of them is guilty as hell and if we had a reasonable definition of treason they’d all be swinging from ropes, but we don’t and have a completely compromised Supreme Court to boot so I can understand completely them not going for it because a swing and a miss on treason could be used for the opposing side to shriek ‘witch hunt politically motivated etc’ and give those accusations a veneer of authenticity to low info voters they do not merit. ‘Well they tried and they said he wasn’t guilty of treason’ would do a ton of negative reinforcement in your average voter’s mind. ‘You come at the king you best not miss’ resonates for a reason.
The most alarming about all this is how long this had been in the works and how close it came to succeeding. They may indeed still succeed even now. It’s going to take decades to rid the judiciary of their tainted appointments. (I do also wonder if they’re going to try to make the case Thomas should be impeached in light of his wife’s deep involvement before going directly after Trump).
Basically we are in very uncharted territory here and I hope to god the current players are up to the challenge of the times. That they are being very cautious is to be expected, as frustrating as it’s been, but it feels like the House investigation may have been the impetus to the whole rotten dam breaking. We’ll have to wait and see.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Oracle posted:

And just to clarify, I do think every drat one of them is guilty as hell and if we had a reasonable definition of treason they’d all be swinging from ropes, but we don’t and have a completely compromised Supreme Court to boot so I can understand completely them not going for it because a swing and a miss on treason could be used for the opposing side to shriek ‘witch hunt politically motivated etc’ and give those accusations a veneer of authenticity to low info voters they do not merit. ‘Well they tried and they said he wasn’t guilty of treason’ would do a ton of negative reinforcement in your average voter’s mind. ‘You come at the king you best not miss’ resonates for a reason.
The most alarming about all this is how long this had been in the works and how close it came to succeeding. They may indeed still succeed even now. It’s going to take decades to rid the judiciary of their tainted appointments. (I do also wonder if they’re going to try to make the case Thomas should be impeached in light of his wife’s deep involvement before going directly after Trump).
Basically we are in very uncharted territory here and I hope to god the current players are up to the challenge of the times. That they are being very cautious is to be expected, as frustrating as it’s been, but it feels like the House investigation may have been the impetus to the whole rotten dam breaking. We’ll have to wait and see.

Democrats already missed twice with the impeachments, which did exactly as you said. "If he wasn't punished, he must have been innocent and this is all political theater like he says! The Democrats are evil!"

Before they can move on anything they need to break the wall of Republican senators. As long as they vote on party lines no matter the issue or offense, nothing will happen. It seems there are enough demons in the gop senate closet to keep everybody in line forever with no consideration for independent thought, and I have no goddamn clue how to break McConnell's death grip on the government besides waiting out his elderly heart.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

As long as they vote on party lines no matter the issue or offense, nothing will happen.
What?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Oracle posted:

This. This can't be emphasized enough. The ramifications of the moves people make at this very moment in history are going to echo all the way to the eventual end of the Union, however close or far that may be into the future.

You're never as prepared for catastrophe as you'd like to be, but I feel like we have as decent a group of people as we could reasonably expect given the realities of all of this functioning within a system with holes big enough you could drive an ocean liner through.

Watching the Republican Party being swallowed by the Trump faction, one of the things that stood out the most is not that the new faction in power are extremists, the Neo-Cons were extremists too, in some ways they're were worse, what's significant about the new Trump faction of people like Gaetz, MTG, and Boebert, is that they don't take any of this seriously. The Neo-Cons were blood thirsty monsters but at least some of them were old school cold warriors that could be relied upon to be adults during a crisis situation. The faction in charge of the GOP now literally thinks their job is a joke.

It's been said before but it bears repeating. Laws aren't real. The Constitution, our sacred government institutions? They're fake. We made them up. They exist and continue to exist only because everyone agrees that they do. There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that if a line isn't drawn now, we will be back here again in the future, probably before our kids are old.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 26, 2022

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

loling that there was an entire documentary crew filming crimes

2 of them. One was filming the proud boys and one was hired by roger stone and was filming the 1/6 organizers in the trump admin

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

2 of them. One was filming the proud boys and one was hired by roger stone and was filming the 1/6 organizers in the trump admin

God I hope we have film of the two documentary crews running into each other while covering crimes.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

lmao

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

Xiahou Dun posted:

God I hope we have film of the two documentary crews running into each other while covering crimes.

I saw that scene in Popstar, seems this wouldn't be too far off.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Murgos posted:

I almost wonder if the OLC guy from the last hearing, who backed many of Trumps heinous plays for authority, didn’t turbo gently caress the investigation from the outset with some dubious legal opinion that needed to be overcome first internally because from where I am “we needed all hands on deck to clear the 800 Jan 6 rioters through the system first” seems like a deliberately losing strategy designed to distract while the rats scurry for cover. On the other hand though the electors, Georgia letter and electoral count act conspiracies are just by their nature well documented and less ephemeral.

I'm pretty sure you always charge and prosecute and try the lowest guys first, working your way up the rungs of the ladder, because those guys flipping on their official contacts, and them flipping on their own superiors, and on up the chain is typically the only way you can possibly accumulate enough evidence to charge (let alone convict) the higher-ups.

Jan 6 is just unique in how many thousands of suspects were involved and arrested (plus the absurd depth of documentary evidence of that day and cataloging all their crimes, all of which needs to be collected and sorted through and distributed to all the various cases), orders of magnitude larger than the typical white collar scheme, which makes it that many times slower to process.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fuschia tude posted:

I'm pretty sure you always charge and prosecute and try the lowest guys first, working your way up the rungs of the ladder,

If the path was only through the militias I would agree with you but there’s like 6 or 7 different parallel efforts that start at different places even if they all end at the rotunda on Jan 06.

However, if you’d decided to try and shoot the moon with a treason charge you would want to work up through the ‘army’ that waged a ‘war’ on the US.

FWIW Garland made his bones on one of the most elaborate conspiracy investigations to ever be successfully prosecuted in this country and was lauded for the secrecy and thoroughness of it.

So, there is that tiny little part of me that is just hoping that we get that movie moment where Garland goes on TV and says he is ready to ‘open sealed indictments against …’ and he starts reading names off the list as twitter is erupting with reports of FBI agents perp walking congressmen, senators, senior republicans and state legislators from their homes around the country. Followed by the siege of Mar-a-lago with Trump, Jr, Eric and company firing AKs out windows that ends in a Waco/Branch Dravidian like fire that purges all sins.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Murgos posted:

... that movie moment where Garland goes on TV and says he is ready to ‘open sealed indictments against …’ and he starts reading names off the list as twitter is erupting with reports of FBI agents perp walking congressmen, senators, senior republicans and state legislators from their homes around the country. Followed by the siege of Mar-a-lago with Trump, Jr, Eric and company firing AKs out windows that ends in a Waco/Branch Dravidian like fire that purges all sins.
Don't stop, I'm so close!

-Blackadder- posted:

The faction in charge of the GOP now literally thinks their job is a joke.
'Joke' in the sense of 'game'. I'd say their platform is "destroying government and democracy without explicitly saying that's what we're doing", which typically means lying and claiming the exact opposite, but also they're terrible actors so they have no hope it appearing honest or engaged.

Satan joins the Catholic Church to destroy it. Bet your boots he's going to be laughing his rear end off.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
No Dinesh D'Souza "documentary" on this one yet on how it was all Antifa under the orders of Soros and Hillary was behind it all yet? Because dude must be slipping.

And, oh, excuse me.

I meant to say convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza so now I'm the one that's slipping I guess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Don't stop, I'm so close!

'Joke' in the sense of 'game'. I'd say their platform is "destroying government and democracy without explicitly saying that's what we're doing", which typically means lying and claiming the exact opposite, but also they're terrible actors so they have no hope it appearing honest or engaged.

Satan joins the Catholic Church to destroy it. Bet your boots he's going to be laughing his rear end off.

That's been the Republican plan since at least the 50s.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Shageletic posted:

That's been the Republican plan since at least the 50s.

Say government can't function > get into control of government > break government > repeat from start

tecnocrat posted:

I saw that scene in Popstar, seems this wouldn't be too far off.

I was thinking more like Man Bites Dog where the serial killer the documentary crew is following gets into a fight with another serial killer with their own documentary crew.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

quote:

The New York Police Department (NYPD) confirmed to The Hill on Sunday that Giuliani was slapped in the “mid-back” at a ShopRite while on the campaign trail for his son Andrew Giuliani’s gubernatorial campaign.

“All of a sudden, I feel this, ‘Bam!’ on my back,” Giuliani told the New York Post, adding that he nearly fell down from the blow.

“All of a sudden, I hear this guy say, ‘You’re a f—— scumbag,’ then he moves away so nobody can grab him,” he added.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1541199910984421377

Sadly, he was arrested instead of praised.

e:poo poo, he barely touched him.

"Giuliani said the slap felt like “somebody shot me,” and, “Luckily, I”m a 78-year-old who is in pretty good shape."

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1541201416949211136

OgNar fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 27, 2022

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
Well, technically any unwanted touching is battery. On the other hand, the victimhood is just hilariously stupid. (I do kind of wish the ShopRite Slapper had just gone for it, though. A bit disappointing in execution.)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

He slapped the booze out of gut

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

partly, alot of it is definetly that on a bunch of levels. but i think part of it is that they are just dumb true believer extremists who think jesus or uncle sam will just descend from heaven and give a speech about how trump is the god emperor and then they get to kill all their enemies.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Yeah, the Trump faction are the true believers. And by "Joke" I meant they don't have any grand plans or even take their job seriously. To be clear this doesn't mean they're not dangerous, many of the worst Nazis were dull-witted brutes, and a lot of intelligent educated people have found themselves put up against a wall when someone came along and decided to hand the town bully a gun and a uniform.

But it's Conservative loons like Grover Norquist, along with groups like The Federalist Society and Heritage Foundation et al that have the education and level of political awareness for designs on destroying the government. We're actually seeing half a century of their collective efforts play out right now this supreme court session. And when the Chevron decision hits it could be very bad.

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1541468510991310853

Well, that's interesting. To put it mildly.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The tea will be spilled.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I am expecting this will be a nothing burger just like everything Trump consequence related for the last 7 years, a handful of low level lackey prison time notwithstanding.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Inner Light posted:

I am expecting this will be a nothing burger just like everything Trump consequence related for the last 7 years, a handful of low level lackey prison time notwithstanding.

I'm worried this might be true, but if they were just trying to get my attention, they certainly have it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dems realizing they need to change the subject and fast to keep the donations coming.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
You’d hope that they realize they need to get some heads rolling and news blaring to change the tone of things before they lose control of the chamber but we know loving better.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Inner Light posted:

Wonder if Mo Brooks is going to get his 15 minutes of revenge fame.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Spiffster posted:

You’d hope that they realize they need to get some heads rolling and news blaring to change the tone of things before they lose control of the chamber but we know loving better.

I think they are planning to be completely done before the election so that there is nothing for a new congress to cancel or shut down. It'll be up to the DOJ then.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rigel posted:

I think they are planning to be completely done before the election so that there is nothing for a new congress to cancel or shut down. It'll be up to the DOJ then.

I would agree with this; they'd be fools to let this drag on past October. If that much new evidence is pouring out, however, they may not have a choice. At least they're passing it to the DOJ as soon as they can transcribe it, from the looks of it.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Oracle posted:

:hmmyes:

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Ooh I hope they show off Metroid Prime 4!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Oracle posted:

I would agree with this; they'd be fools to let this drag on past October. If that much new evidence is pouring out, however, they may not have a choice. At least they're passing it to the DOJ as soon as they can transcribe it, from the looks of it.

it will be over by august/September, they said so themselves.

Oracle posted:

probably this maybe one of the cabinent dickheads.
also documentary footage

also this.
https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1541492372630028290

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oracle posted:

When the Dems lose control of both chambers in November he most certainly will, yes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

When the Dems lose control of both chambers in November he most certainly will, yes.

he won't be in the either because he lost his primary for telling trump to cool it, he is gone.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he won't be in the either because he lost his primary for telling trump to cool it, he is gone.

Oh I did not know that. Good. lol gently caress him.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah Trump endorsed his primary opponent who beat him so he decided in true FYGM Republican fashion to burn it all down on his way out. No honor among thieves etc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

same.its fine. brooks is done and the house is gonna do dumb poo poo all next year anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Spiffster posted:

it's currently the largest doj prosecution in history