Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MikeJF posted:

They can recrystalise. In Disco continuously recrystalising what little dilithium they had was all that was keeping them going, but it wasn't infinitely sustainable.

It was also that you could maintain what you had, but having a single recrystalizing engine's worth of Dilithium only gives you a single working engine. You still need more Dilithium to recrystalize in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

In TNG they could literally synthesize more Dilithium.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Pfft I did that poo poo as a kid

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CainFortea posted:

In TNG they could literally synthesize more Dilithium.

Could they? I only ever remember them taking about recrystalising.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

If they could synthesise dilithium, they wouldn't need to send all those EMHs to the mines

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Brawnfire posted:

Pfft I did that poo poo as a kid

That rules.

Could you smoke any of them

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Dabir posted:

If they could synthesise dilithium, they wouldn't need to send all those EMHs to the mines

"Gotta do somethin' with 'em! Well, I guess. If I'm forthright, we've not given them much consideration since initiating slaves.exe."

[sips Rigellian scotch]

"Oh, would you look at the time, I've got a Xenological Rights Commission meeting coming up. I'm accepting an award."

davidspackage posted:

That rules.

Could you smoke any of them

You weren't meant to, but you try keeping Riker from freebasing your ryetalyn.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

People talk a lot of poo poo about DS9 ruining Gene’s vision or whatever but god that 30 second EMH slave mines bit in Voyager is pretty loving dark

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

MikeJF posted:

Could they? I only ever remember them taking about recrystallizing.

They could synthesize dilithium from recrystallizing it apparently.

I also had to look up what caused the Burn again, and :lol: I forgot that all the dilithium in the GALAXY became inert because a Kelpian was really upset that his mother died.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

-Gun avatar
-"I had sex"
-Calls partner His Woman
-Public foot-fetishism

Just masterfully awful.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

MakaVillian posted:

They could synthesize dilithium from recrystallizing it apparently.

I also had to look up what caused the Burn again, and :lol: I forgot that all the dilithium in the GALAXY became inert because a Kelpian was really upset that his mother died.

But see, the burn and it’s cause weren’t even that silly of an idea. It was just the ludicrous scale of it that make it incomprehensibly dumb. The writers just needed to think a bit more about it.

How to make the burn better, by a goon thinking for more than 90 seconds:

1. Kelpian kid screams for his mom real hard on the dilithium planet, causing a sector-wide disaster.

2. The sector becomes impossible to traverse via warp, and those within it are cut off and have no idea the extent or scope of the effect.

3. Those outside of it can’t detect anything due to sub-space reasons, and think all is lost and mark it as a no-man’s land.

4. Disco happens to land in this “irradiated” sector and most of the season plays out as shown.

5. …Except they’re able somehow reverse the effects and the grand finale is a super-advanced Federation welcoming this lost island of space back into the fold.

Still not excellent but drat it only needed a little tweaking.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it sort of needs to be a broken down federation because otherwise they'd simply send discovery back to its own time immediately. if things were any better there'd be no use for this ancient mushroom ship filled with crying idiots.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^Disco can't go back in time because it has "Sphere Data" which is something something something I can't be assed to look it up but it was important in Season 2 and I think it led to Control or something

HD DAD posted:

But see, the burn and it’s cause weren’t even that silly of an idea. It was just the ludicrous scale of it that make it incomprehensibly dumb. The writers just needed to think a bit more about it.

How to make the burn better, by a goon thinking for more than 90 seconds:

1. Kelpian kid screams for his mom real hard on the dilithium planet, causing a sector-wide disaster.

2. The sector becomes impossible to traverse via warp, and those within it are cut off and have no idea the extent or scope of the effect.

3. Those outside of it can’t detect anything due to sub-space reasons, and think all is lost and mark it as a no-man’s land.

4. Disco happens to land in this “irradiated” sector and most of the season plays out as shown.

5. …Except they’re able somehow reverse the effects and the grand finale is a super-advanced Federation welcoming this lost island of space back into the fold.

Still not excellent but drat it only needed a little tweaking.

Congrats, you've written one episode.

We're gonna need 9 more.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If they really needed something that fucks space up so warp drive doesn't work anymore the omega particle was right there

The General
Mar 4, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

^^^Disco can't go back in time because it has "Sphere Data" which is something something something I can't be assed to look it up but it was important in Season 2 and I think it led to Control or something

Congrats, you've written one episode.

We're gonna need 9 more.

Last season of Disco was one episode stretched into 10. So I don't see why that's not a full season.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The General posted:

Last season of Disco was one episode stretched into 10. So I don't see why that's not a full season.
It was actually 13 episodes, and I would say that by far it was the closest I've come to just being done with the show entirely

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Ok but if you gently caress it up completely so nobody but the super special main character ship can travel, you're doing Star Control 3. You don't want to do Star Control 3.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

FlamingLiberal posted:

It was actually 13 episodes, and I would say that by far it was the closest I've come to just being done with the show entirely

To be fair, if those 13 episodes would have been a two parter, it would have been a pretty alright Trek episode.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The General posted:

To be fair, if those 13 episodes would have been a two parter, it would have been a pretty alright Trek episode.
Oh I agree, but that thin plot spread over 13 episodes was a slog

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

Ok but if you gently caress it up completely so nobody but the super special main character ship can travel, you're doing Star Control 3. You don't want to do Star Control 3.

Oh man if Disco had emerged 900 years into the future and it was Star Control 2? Best Star Trek of the generation right there.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I just finished Disco Season 4, and I'm pretty sure you could have just watched the last 2 episodes of Seasons 3 and 4 as long as you paid real close attention to the "previously on" segments

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FlamingLiberal posted:

This is why I will never take the word of anyone ITT regarding the supposed quality of a new Star Trek show.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

infernal machines posted:

This is why I will never take the word of anyone ITT regarding the supposed quality of a new Star Trek show.

Except SNW. It’s actually very good. Season is almost done and the worst it’s been has been one or two “merely solid” episodes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The kelpian had been gestated in a dilithium nursery and had a chimeroid mutation that caused him himself to take on aspects of dilithium and his emotional state produced a resonance cascade effect spiraling outwards magnified by the high amounts of nearby radiation and dilithium.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

if they gotta get lost somewhere how about they get lost in mushroom space, and are now exploring a world totally unlike our own, trying to get home

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

See that would take creativity though

Can't have that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

HD DAD posted:

Except SNW. It’s actually very good. Season is almost done and the worst it’s been has been one or two “merely solid” episodes.

"Very good" only in relation to Picard. Compared to all the rest of trek it's fine.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

infernal machines posted:

At least with SNW there are many people who completely checked out of Trek due to the last few shows saying this one is actually good, and I haven't noticed anyone saying stuff about it like "hey this plot makes no sense/where did that character come from/the camera won't stop doing 360s/why is everyone always drunk and crying?" It seems to be well received so far, which is refreshing to read about honestly.

I do take the opinions of those who willingly sat through all of Discovery and PicardShow with a grain of salt though since best case scenario that demonstrates poor impulse control, lol

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Tighclops posted:

At least with SNW there are many people who completely checked out of Trek due to the last few shows saying this one is actually good, and I haven't noticed anyone saying stuff about it like "hey this plot makes no sense/where did that character come from/the camera won't stop doing 360s/why is everyone always drunk and crying?" It seems to be well received so far, which is refreshing to read about honestly.

I do take the opinions of those who willingly sat through all of Discovery and PicardShow with a grain of salt though since best case scenario that demonstrates poor impulse control, lol

I got fooled by Picard Season 1. Not again!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Man Author Author is a pretty good episode, huh

Sure the court scenes are pretty derivative of Measure of a Man, but it takes a very different path to get to them, I think it would be unfair to call it a straight retread

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dabir posted:

Sure the court scenes are pretty derivative of Measure of a Man, but it takes a very different path to get to them, I think it would be unfair to call it a straight retread
I was just rewatching Flesh and Blood, which is a similar holographic rights episode. In a way. But the problem is that the leader of the rogue Hirogen holograms becomes increasingly unhinged and violent as the episode goes on, until The Doctor has to destroy him.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The Doctor was a hardlight man who had to make hardlight choices

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The kelpian had been gestated in a dilithium nursery and had a chimeroid mutation that caused him himself to take on aspects of dilithium and his emotional state produced a resonance cascade effect spiraling outwards magnified by the high amounts of nearby radiation and dilithium.

Seems like they shouldn't do that or that one or more dilithium babies would at some point suffer a trauma at any given point in their life and maybe do this like all the time. Which doesn't seem great, necessarily.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Dabir posted:

I've started rewatching Voyager for the first time in years and I was very surprised how solid the first season was. Even season 2 has been decent so far.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Beef City posted:

Seems like they shouldn't do that or that one or more dilithium babies would at some point suffer a trauma at any given point in their life and maybe do this like all the time. Which doesn't seem great, necessarily.

The technobabble and roundabout/haphazard plots in Disco were quite literally the most labour-intensive lazy writing.

Lazy in that they just joined random words together to make a plot. Labour-intensive in that they used way too many random words.

SNW on the other hand has plots that can be explained in a single sentence, and it allows them to focus on making them good instead of using 300m of red yarn to try and make them make sense.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Disco lost me at the loving tardigrade

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

MakaVillian posted:

I've started rewatching Voyager for the first time in years and I was very surprised how solid the first season was. Even season 2 has been decent so far.

I'm into Season 4, and I've reached the point where I'm annoyed at anyone who ever told me this show was bad and that I shouldn't watch it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Mr. Mercury posted:

Disco lost me at the loving tardigrade

A more alien alien was a cool idea. Is it sapient? We can't even tell.

Why does a thing that grazes on mushrooms all day need giant claws know how to use them to exterminate a ship full of armed military personnel? :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Facebook Aunt posted:

A more alien alien was a cool idea. Is it sapient? We can't even tell.
better torture it regardless