Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Harrow posted:

:sickos:

I'm doing Scarlet Blaze first but I'm already stoked for NG+

Even just on SB, hold on to your butt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It occurs to me that axe-users are kind of shafted in this game. Every single enemy lance class I've seen past the basic soldier is also mounted, so why use an axe to get minor advantage when you could stick a rapier or horsekiller on someone else and get super-advantage, plus still having their normal advantage against another weapon type too. So I've just been training everyone in brigand/wyvern rider for the abilities, but never actually deploying as them in combat.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Counterpoint, axes are rad and the Warrior’s axe-cartwheel attack rules.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I also unironically really like the Armored Knight moveset, it feels incredible. Powerslamming people with your shield and then bashing the ground is hilarious.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This game is reminding me how much I miss weapon restrictions for classes in mainline Fire Emblem and hope it comes back (and also the weapon triangle). Classes have so much more identity when they can't just use whatever weapon the character's trained in, and when weapon interactions are really important.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Sydin posted:

lmao goddamnit, I'm a couple chapters out from finishing AG and I kinda don't want to now. Guess I'll power through it for the NG+ stuff while I move on to Golden Wildfire. I was holding out hope that after getting zombified by Thales the route wouldn't devolve into Dimitri saving the helpless Edelgard but it sounds like that not only happens, but also Edelgard is implied to be permanently crippled mentally as a result? What the gently caress???? What an absolutely garbage writing decision.

She almost-childlike-ly says “dee…?” As her last word of Azure Gleam like she’s remembering her childhood. Even then, Azure Gleam is literally Edelgard’s horror scenario realized where she loses all autonomy and agency, all the progress she made in Adrestia is burnt to ash, and Hubert is dead. It’s everything she committed suicide by cop to avoid in AM.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Hargrimm posted:

It occurs to me that axe-users are kind of shafted in this game. Every single enemy lance class I've seen past the basic soldier is also mounted, so why use an axe to get minor advantage when you could stick a rapier or horsekiller on someone else and get super-advantage, plus still having their normal advantage against another weapon type too. So I've just been training everyone in brigand/wyvern rider for the abilities, but never actually deploying as them in combat.

From what I've experienced axes are exceptionally good at breaking stun meters. Other similarly geared classes can chip them away pretty easily, but under an axe they disintegrate as soon as they appear.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Sydin posted:

Get a bow knight. Ashe of all people has become the most indispensable member of the Blue Lions for me because he is a one man wrecking ball who can hit every single target within 100ft him in 360 degrees.

I barely unlocked Advanced Classes, but sure, let's use a Bow Knight.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Clawtopsy posted:

She almost-childlike-ly says “dee…?” As her last word of Azure Gleam like she’s remembering her childhood. Even then, Azure Gleam is literally Edelgard’s horror scenario realized where she loses all autonomy and agency, all the progress she made in Adrestia is burnt to ash, and Hubert is dead. It’s everything she committed suicide by cop to avoid in AM.

Are Monica and Freddie alive by the end :ohdear:?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

There IS some eyerolling stuff with Claude though. Again, in the first story interlude in AG there's a cut to what's going on in the Alliance. As imagined, it's going badly. The Empire's already taken most of the borderland with several houses either defecting or declaring neutrality and the class are discussing options. They are extremely concerned about mustering enough troops, given it's basically down to Riegan and Goneril, and someone asks about asking talking to the Kingdom for troops. Claude brings up that the Kingdom is embattled too and might not have troops to spare (fair), but also that he doesn't know what Dimitri's thoughts are and therefore doesn't trust him or is willing to ask. Like, seriously Claude, that's what messengers to open a dialogue are for. You don't have to immediately ask for assistance, but just starting to talk to them to get a feel for their positions probably isn't going to hurt you or your plans. Like, the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend, but just staring at them suspiciously while you're both fighting the same dangerous opponent isn't some clever strategy. If you have to maintain suspicion in-game, just have some throwaway line about messengers turning up killed or whatever.

tldr: It just feels like a continuation of the issues with 3 Houses, where the BL and GD routes are always forced to fight each other despite it being incredibly silly.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lord Koth posted:

There IS some eyerolling stuff with Claude though. Again, in the first story interlude in AG there's a cut to what's going on in the Alliance. As imagined, it's going badly. The Empire's already taken most of the borderland with several houses either defecting or declaring neutrality and the class are discussing options. They are extremely concerned about mustering enough troops, given it's basically down to Riegan and Goneril, and someone asks about asking talking to the Kingdom for troops. Claude brings up that the Kingdom is embattled too and might not have troops to spare (fair), but also that he doesn't know what Dimitri's thoughts are and therefore doesn't trust him or is willing to ask. Like, seriously Claude, that's what messengers to open a dialogue are for. You don't have to immediately ask for assistance, but just starting to talk to them to get a feel for their positions probably isn't going to hurt you or your plans. Like, the enemy of your enemy is not necessarily your friend, but just staring at them suspiciously while you're both fighting the same dangerous opponent isn't some clever strategy. If you have to maintain suspicion in-game, just have some throwaway line about messengers turning up killed or whatever.

tldr: It just feels like a continuation of the issues with 3 Houses, where the BL and GD routes are always forced to fight each other despite it being incredibly silly.

I advise you to keep playing, the game hears you and will address this soon enough

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
well you see edelgard is like cao cao and could have intercepted the messengers or sent fake messages instead

actually this is just making me want to play dynasty warriors again

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I pursued Lu Bu on Hard, Chapter...6? Won, but abandoned any hope of S-ranking that one. In my defense it was labeled as a side mission with NPCs goading me into doing it, I was so busy trying to survive that I didn't notice hints it wasn't like any other "just take a minute and kill this guy" side mission. You know, subtle hints like taking massive damage when they hit me.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing you have to remember about Claude is that he is by default an outsider to Fodlan who nobody trusts and, in turn, doesn't really trust anybody else either. In Three Houses he gets a full year at the academy to rub elbows with the other lords but that's not the case here with it closing early. So to Edelgard and Dimitri, Claude is some suspicious rando who showed up out of nowhere and grabbed the reins of the Alliance who they don't really know well personally or in terms of motive. Claude likewise doesn't really know much about Dimitri or Edelgard's motives and at least in Azure Gleam It's Dimitri who takes in the church and declares ware on the Empire, for all Claude knows the kingdom are true believer zealots who might use the war as a justification to backstab the Alliance under the pretext of the Eastern Church's general lack of outward piety. When the two finally do ally, one of the first things Claude tries to gauge is if Dimitri is really all in on the central church and Rhea or if it's just an alliance of convenience.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

On, when Anna's wandering around the map I wasn't sure how to parse the infodump. If I want to access her shop do I need to avoid doing scouting missions until I catch her on one in a region I can access (i.e. she can hop to accessed ones and you need to access it to get her), or is it a separate option on that node like the limited time battles?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
For better or worse, the writers are really trying to show that Byleth did make a big difference in everyone's lives and why the 2 year time-skip is vastly different than the time skip in 3Houses.

Claude is probably the biggest difference because most of his known personality in Houses literally can't exist in how Hopes immediately starts by chapter 4.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Sydin posted:

The thing you have to remember about Claude is that he is by default an outsider to Fodlan who nobody trusts and, in turn, doesn't really trust anybody else either. In Three Houses he gets a full year at the academy to rub elbows with the other lords but that's not the case here with it closing early. So to Edelgard and Dimitri, Claude is some suspicious rando who showed up out of nowhere and grabbed the reins of the Alliance who they don't really know well personally or in terms of motive. Claude likewise doesn't really know much about Dimitri or Edelgard's motives and at least in Azure Gleam It's Dimitri who takes in the church and declares ware on the Empire, for all Claude knows the kingdom are true believer zealots who might use the war as a justification to backstab the Alliance under the pretext of the Eastern Church's general lack of outward piety. When the two finally do ally, one of the first things Claude tries to gauge is if Dimitri is really all in on the central church and Rhea or if it's just an alliance of convenience.

He takes in the Church on every route.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Sydin posted:

Yeah, my read on Claude in that first cutscene was "It's a bad idea to sent a message to a neighboring kingdom telling them you have no army unless you're really sure what they'll do."

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

They tried to make him more conniving in the spirit of the original intention of his core design but from what I've seen he just comes off as a dumb/disingenuous sociopath

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Perfect Potato posted:

They tried to make him more conniving in the spirit of the original intention of his core design but from what I've seen he just comes off as a dumb/disingenuous sociopath

but enough about edelgard/dimitri

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

He isn't dumb his plans just put the Alliance and its interests first and betray a fundamental mistrust even of his allies because that is the kind of person he has to be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Hargrimm posted:

Doesn't work on Pegasus Knights.

Bruceski posted:

On, when Anna's wandering around the map I wasn't sure how to parse the infodump. If I want to access her shop do I need to avoid doing scouting missions until I catch her on one in a region I can access (i.e. she can hop to accessed ones and you need to access it to get her), or is it a separate option on that node like the limited time battles?

When Anna's on the map she'll wander around from place to place as you do missions like a hammer bro in Super Mario Bros 3.

When you eventually get access to her space, you catch her and she opens the secret shop in your base for that chapter.

ImpAtom posted:

He isn't dumb his plans just put the Alliance and its interests first and betray a fundamental mistrust even of his allies because that is the kind of person he has to be.

Yeah having played further into Golden Wildfire. Claude is many things but he is not dumb.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
claude's schemes are great in this and i love how they gently caress with you, the player, a little bit

"mission objective: Save Randolph."
"okay, let me just run over there and... hm. can't get through here, can't get through there... gently caress, am I going to get a game over because i can't read a map?? what the hell am I supposed to do??"
[Randalph is nearly routed]
"fucccckk, god dammit, dont make me start this level again"
claude: "wellp, he died. oh well. Hey, we're doing fine though. :v:"
me: "...oooooohhhh." :getin:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

When Anna's on the map she'll wander around from place to place as you do missions like a hammer bro in Super Mario Bros 3.

When you eventually get access to her space, you catch her and she opens the secret shop in your base for that chapter.

Yeah but do you need to leave spaces open for her? "If you select a surveying spot where Anna is currently located" could mean another option on that spot like Extra Quests do, or it could mean claiming the rewards from that spot.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

Yeah but do you need to leave spaces open for her? "If you select a surveying spot where Anna is currently located" could mean another option on that spot like Extra Quests do, or it could mean claiming the rewards from that spot.

It is like extra quests

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DC Murderverse posted:

I advise you to keep playing, the game hears you and will address this soon enough

Fair, playing pretty slowly so I'll just see how it goes.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, my read on Claude in that first cutscene was "It's a bad idea to sent a message to a neighboring kingdom telling them you have no army unless you're really sure what they'll do."

The issue is that saying you need help doesn't have to be your first message. Nothing is forcing you to reveal your weakness in just messaging them regarding the situation. "Hey, we've both been attacked by the Empire, [insert message about how to lessen concern about our own border so we can both focus on the other threat]." That's not revealing weakness, that's literally just standard communication between countries. Hell, even if you think they ARE going to attack you (to go with the "the Kingdom's a puppet of the Church" idea), sending that sort of message is still a good idea, because the response - or lack of one - can be telling itself.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also it should be said revealing you have no army actually isn’t that big a deal. Many countries did that when desperate and while they had to eat poo poo for their personal pride it worked out for them in the long run

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

It is like extra quests

Thanks. That was tickling my optimization reflexes enough I didn't want to assume it's work out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bruceski posted:

I pursued Lu Bu on Hard, Chapter...6? Won, but abandoned any hope of S-ranking that one. In my defense it was labeled as a side mission with NPCs goading me into doing it, I was so busy trying to survive that I didn't notice hints it wasn't like any other "just take a minute and kill this guy" side mission. You know, subtle hints like taking massive damage when they hit me.

Were you on normal or easy mode? On hard mode it seemed basically impossible. Any hit from her was a 2-hit KO, she had unbreakable hyper armor, took almost no damage from anything, and her attacks would all shatter my guard. I suppose you could slowly whittle her down by playing insanely conservatively but it would take forever.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Augus posted:

Were you on normal or easy mode? On hard mode it seemed basically impossible. Any hit from her was a 2-hit KO, she had unbreakable hyper armor, took almost no damage from anything, and her attacks would all shatter my guard. I suppose you could slowly whittle her down by playing insanely conservatively but it would take forever.

I managed to do on casual hard by selecting all out attack. Sure some of my men had to retreat but that was a price I was willing to pay. :v: (I had already failed the S rank so I decided gently caress it, let's see if this gives anything. It does a stat boost to go on the pile with the rest of them that I'm not using.)

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Hargrimm posted:

Yeah it's totally hidden until you master the class. There's a tab for it ("Innate Abilities") on the extremely useful datamine google doc.Most of them seem to correspond to classes that match each character's Budding Talent skill from Three Houses which is neat

Holst's Innate Ability being hidden behind the Dark Bishop just makes me want to use him a lot more since they're basically telling me that he will do really well as a magic user.

Also, with Warlock and Sniper unlocked on Ignatz, both the Mage and Sniper moveset become really good for him because both C6es of those classes lets him spread his paint and they are really good for doing so. In fact, I daresay that he becomes one of the better archers once he gets to Sniper.

SgtSteel91 posted:

Are Monica and Freddie alive by the end :ohdear:?

I think it's implied that Ferdinand was also killed by TWSITD. No idea on Monica, but I will say that despite the War with the Empire still being ongoing in that route, the fact that they have effectively lost their new top brass (because Hubert and Ferdie are essentially implied to be dead and Edelgard is effectively in no shape to lead them and will not be able to for years to come) doesn't bode too well for them as a whole on that route.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Bruceski posted:

It functions like the extra quests, if she’s on one with a reward it doesn’t lock you out of the reward or anything

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Folt The Bolt posted:

I think it's implied that Ferdinand was also killed by TWSITD. No idea on Monica, but I will say that despite the War with the Empire still being ongoing in that route, the fact that they have effectively lost their new top brass (because Hubert and Ferdie are essentially implied to be dead and Edelgard is effectively in no shape to lead them and will not be able to for years to come) doesn't bode too well for them as a whole on that route.

Oof, think I’ll just keep huffing that copium and believe they went into hiding when El got mind controlled by Thales

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sydin posted:

Claude owns and does a lot of scheming in the macro sense in Three Houses. He clearly has an agenda upon arriving at Garreg Mach, hides his true identity, and spends a lot of time researching mysteries in the library and in general trying to uncover any information that he could use in his goal to reform Fodlan from being a hostile neighbor to Almyra. He uses his position and knowledge to take advantage of the situation that unfolds, ultimately ensuring a new leader friendly to Almyra takes control, with the visible support of himself and the Almyran army as a key ally, then returns to Almyra as its crown prince and rules next to a now-open-bordered Fodland that's in his debt.

It's not explicitly spelled out, but it's not an accident that the world state at the end of Verdant Winds is both extremely beneficial to Claude and exactly in line with his stated ideals of the start of the game. He rarely breaks his good natured persona and just acts like "See I told you Teach, we believed in the power of friendship and look we won!" But everything he did was calculated, alluded to when you first meet him when Byleth observes that "his smile doesn't reach his eyes".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Claude is cool imo. Happy he gets to be scheming this game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Augus posted:

I was on hard. Nobody died, but it was a real grind that killed both my time and damage taken ranks. First time I got as D on damage taken.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
...huh, you know the thought just came to me that TWSITD are just the Fodlan version of XCOM from the recent games

1) Fighting against alien invaders
2) Developing new technologies through horrific scientific experiments on the bodies of the aliens.
3) Using the very bodies of their enemies as weapons.
4) Lose because they were betrayed, start an underground resistance against the alien-controlled government
5) Aliens use their own gene research and powers against them
6) On a deadline as the aliens are trying to complete the Avatar project

The biggest difference is that after XCOM wins they don't commit genocide in Chimera Squad :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Hubert on a cavalier is a pro choice.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Man, going through all the effort of A-Ranking someone and all I get is a letter? Booo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

SolarFire2 posted:

Man, going through all the effort of A-Ranking someone and all I get is a letter? Booo!

you don’t need a reward to spend time with all your friends, their happiness is it’s own reward

(also you can give one of them your Platonic Friendship Whistle and an achievement when you get enough A supports)

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 28, 2022