Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
loup, my dog, you need to show us a game plan here

this is basically the box ghost from danny phantom going "BEWARE" and running away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Loup unless you kill a planet you'll never compare to Vegeta/Frieza

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

CodfishCartographer posted:

Kind of weird loss.jpg energy from this page

I do what I must

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I actually thought for a moment that, despite being basically an ether ghost, Reynard was still linked to his physical body and needed it to live and Loup just murdered Reynard. Instead it was just a big nothingburger that might lead to some angst, I guess, but as far as big scary gestures goes, this one was pretty empty.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tiny Myers posted:

I do what I must

:perfect:

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Lmao I hadn't even considered that, why waste the time between the two encounters? Just have it happen during one.

Like almost everything since Jeanne, it smacks of a lack of editing. We've all heard the theory about Tony being cut from the comic, but maybe it's just that Tom had crafted and recrafted the story up to that point with only a vague notion of how he'd proceed from there, and he's been sort of winging it since.

That's not to say he doesn't know what will happen or have outlines, but pre-Jeanne it was usually very tight and on a reread it tends to flow very well. Ever since then there have been a lot of scenes which could have been cut, condensed, or merged, and ideas which come from or go to nowhere.

Or maybe he just hit his head and forgot everything he knew about writing, or his dog ate his notes. Who knows!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Tiny Myers posted:

I do what I must

Should've called it "Lost the plot"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Since Coyote's ultimate plan requires Annie to hate Loup enough to kill him, is the plan working?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I am surprised she didn't blast him. She is incredibly dangerous and her strongest allies were right there with no noncombatants in sight. Renard could probably instantly kill him by stealing his body even.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

worm girl posted:

I am surprised she didn't blast him. She is incredibly dangerous and her strongest allies were right there with no noncombatants in sight. Renard could probably instantly kill him by stealing his body even.

... huh where did Parley and Eglamore go? Could Parley not just instant transmission behind Loup in the time he's taunting Annie and Reynard and drop kick him?

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Nuns with Guns posted:

... huh where did Parley and Eglamore go? Could Parley not just instant transmission behind Loup in the time he's taunting Annie and Reynard and drop kick him?

She might be (reasonably) afraid of being incinerated or impaled by a trickster god. But Annie doesn't exactly like Loup and has a ranged attack, yeah, as well as some reason to believe he wouldn't immediately murder her in return. It feels very "okay now just stand there and listen to the villain monologue and watch him do a bad thing while you say 'no don't' for no reason other than the author needs you to".

Oh, I see. Annie couldn't attack because that would mean letting go of Renard, and she needed to be hugging him for the entire scene so Loup can see it and get jealous, because the plot needs Loup to be jealous, and Annie also needs to not do anything that might compromise Loup's affections for her, because then the weird jealous love triangle poo poo would fall apart. :geno:

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Does Reynard have bones or is he a still squishy plush in every form

How often does he get washed and does he prefer top- or side-loading washing machines

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
The comic has implied before that even in realistic mode he's still technically plush, but he has the strength of a real wolf. I think. This may have changed since he became a familiar.

I can get behind the idea that Annie still doesn't want to kill Loup, or that she thinks she wouldn't be able to hurt him and he'd kill everyone else if she tried, but if it was me I'd throw a fireball.

worm girl fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 26, 2022

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

blastron posted:

Does Reynard have bones or is he a still squishy plush in every form

How often does he get washed and does he prefer top- or side-loading washing machines

He's part plush, part lockpicks for sure.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tiny Myers posted:

She might be (reasonably) afraid of being incinerated or impaled by a trickster god. But Annie doesn't exactly like Loup and has a ranged attack, yeah, as well as some reason to believe he wouldn't immediately murder her in return. It feels very "okay now just stand there and listen to the villain monologue and watch him do a bad thing while you say 'no don't' for no reason other than the author needs you to".

It'd be reasonable to be afraid, even with the instant teleporting, but she and Eglamore are also the trained bodyguards + monster slayers of the Court and it's strange everyone's trapped in some cutscene paralysis while this is all going down. There's just been something off about how the secondary characters seem to phase in and out of existence in these recent chapters, only appearing to quickly give exposition or set something up and then they walk offstage again. I guess that's always been there, to a degree, but there's a couple major ongoing crises now and it seems like a great time to up the stakes by showing how everyone doing different risky things to resolve it. I guess maybe it's a byproduct of trying to wrap things up faster?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I can really relate to Eglamore here.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's just been something off about how the secondary characters seem to phase in and out of existence in these recent chapters, only appearing to quickly give exposition or set something up and then they walk offstage again. I guess that's always been there, to a degree,

There's always been some amount of distance to allow Annie to be the protagonist, but still, think about the Shadow Men chasing Jack down, or the response to the boat incident. The writing used to account for the fact that there are other characters around who care what happens and have the power to do anything about it.

Where's the headmaster? The staff? Why are the children still in this supernatural war zone and not shipped back to their home countries? Where are the parents? What is Eglamore even doing? Why is Loup still terrorizing everyone? It's like every character in the story stepped off screen and put all their plans on hold so that Kat could make an entire race of robots and give them superpowers real quick because oops that needed to get done before the story can move forward.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

worm girl posted:

Why are the children still in this supernatural war zone and not shipped back to their home countries?

Actually yeah lmao what the gently caress

I mean I guess you can argue they aren't able to leave the barrier because they'll risk being attacked? Kind of feel like a lot of kids would be like "I wanna go home" anyway??? It's a little weird it hasn't been brought up.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
if the plot was going to dramatically raise the emotional stakes by emphasizing Loup's destructive power and the god part of being a trickster god, I feel like there were earlier opportunities to do so not taken, and there'd be no reason to take it now

come to think of it, it would have provided a better anchor for why the Retrospective Annie narrative voice slips into Present Annie, especially once the emotional weight and narrative impact of "Father is returned" is chipped away by subsequent events (e.g. we are right back to Annie doing basically whatever she likes without accountability)

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jun 27, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well yeah Loup blew it up

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Tiny Myers posted:

Actually yeah lmao what the gently caress

I mean I guess you can argue they aren't able to leave the barrier because they'll risk being attacked? Kind of feel like a lot of kids would be like "I wanna go home" anyway??? It's a little weird it hasn't been brought up.

i always assumed the court and forest exist in a shared closed system with similar strange rules to Ohtori Academy. like through ether-amplified trauma, abuse, and social control it forms a space you can check out any time you like but never leave.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling

CYBEReris posted:

i always assumed the court and forest exist in a shared closed system with similar strange rules to Ohtori Academy. like through ether-amplified trauma, abuse, and social control it forms a space you can check out any time you like but never leave.

People leave all the time for vacations, and to watch a puppy drown.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Bonster posted:

People leave all the time for vacations, and to watch a puppy drown.

that's what I mean by "check out at any time but never leave". people walk out of the court all the time but it has the effect of pulling people back into it through their attachments as if smitty were tugging on one of his strings, the most visible and obvious person to experience this being Tony. it's definitely not inescapable but it's a strong enough force to be notable.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I'm really perplexed by Annie's comment. Girl did you not see his body get reduced to ash 10 seconds ago???

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Her best friend makes artifical living bodies all the time so idk

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

A big flaming stink posted:

I'm really perplexed by Annie's comment. Girl did you not see his body get reduced to ash 10 seconds ago???

yeah but they can probably still collect the ashes so no harm no foul

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Also to be fair, this would be a tragic event and Annie almost certainly hasn't fully accepted the loss.

Well, assuming that this is as tragic as the story seems to want us to think it is

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah I'll be really surprised if this doesn't end up with Renard getting a human-like robot body.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

yeah but they can probably still collect the ashes so no harm no foul

Just gotta collect up his charred skeleton and ashes, put them in a coffinand have his six closest vampire buddies vomit their blood into the casket. Bada boom, bada bing, bada Lestat, your body's good as new AND your suicidal ennui is cured!

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Also to be fair, this would be a tragic event and Annie almost certainly hasn't fully accepted the loss.

Well, assuming that this is as tragic as the story seems to want us to think it is

yeah uh wasn't the whole significance of his old body that Coyote had preserved it in the hopes that he would come back for it one day, which Renard had showed less than zero inclination to do? As presented it reads like mourning when an ex burns the hosed up little shrine he made to you years after you moved out

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 27, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Yeah, so far Annie has shown far more attachment and sentimentality towards the body than Renard has. There's just... zero setup here beyond "yeah I GUESS it makes sense he'd be sad about that, if you think about it". Which is not exactly the kind of emotional stakes (or lack thereof) you want attached to a scene like this.

Growing increasingly attached to the concept of "this is some kind of meta poo poo where Loup took over the story and has been writing fanfiction this whole time".

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Are we missing the chapters where the main body is emotionally significant?

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

Growing increasingly attached to the concept of "this is some kind of meta poo poo where Loup took over the story and has been writing fanfiction this whole time".

if only it hadn't been bad before all of this.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

The thing that's still making this hard for me to accept is the moment that Loup burns Renard's old bodies. These facial expressions:

I'm not getting "Loup is about to do something tremendously bad" out of those facial expressions. Heck, Renard's looks more like he's being drawn in a more cartoony style to emphasize something comedic. It's like putting the Flintstones running sound over a horror movie chase scene or something, it's just tonal whiplash for me.

Riot Bus
Jan 8, 2020

GunnerJ posted:

This is only allowed if Kat makes his body a fox kemonomimi.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Fox boys are in this year.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Tiny Myers posted:

Homestuck?! In my Gunnerkrigg!?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
There is an episode of Adventure Time that ends with a reveal that it was just the Ice King writing fanfiction and it's such an incredible punchline.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

XkyRauh posted:

Homestuck?! In my Gunnerkrigg!?

Young, capricious lordling who is far less intimidating than the more powerful antagonist he is derived from, who was foreshadowed to be the real threat for most of the comic

Having to sit through multiple slogs of him painfully interacting with several women in a way that reveals his lack of experience with social interaction, immaturity, and contempt for humanity

He has some weird antiquated misogyny going on

Violent as a solution to all of his problems

Comic started to get a lot more agonizing to read and dubiously characterized around the part where he came in

An interesting alternate universe version of a character was abruptly dumpstered from the comic for what felt like no reason

Comic's writing may have been derailed by the writer paying too much attention to the fanbase

Various things that were foreshadowed in the past as important either never come up or are resolved in an unsatisfyingly tidy fashion

Irritating pacing where it seems like something is finally going to happen and then everything grinds to a halt, as if to purposely frustrate the reader

Random exhausting conversations that are just paragraphs of characters talking over each other while we're begging for something to happen

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tiny Myers posted:

Young, capricious lordling who is far less intimidating than the more powerful antagonist he is derived from, who was foreshadowed to be the real threat for most of the comic

Having to sit through multiple slogs of him painfully interacting with several women in a way that reveals his lack of experience with social interaction, immaturity, and contempt for humanity

He has some weird antiquated misogyny going on

Violent as a solution to all of his problems

Comic started to get a lot more agonizing to read and dubiously characterized around the part where he came in

An interesting alternate universe version of a character was abruptly dumpstered from the comic for what felt like no reason

Comic's writing may have been derailed by the writer paying too much attention to the fanbase

Various things that were foreshadowed in the past as important either never come up or are resolved in an unsatisfyingly tidy fashion

Irritating pacing where it seems like something is finally going to happen and then everything grinds to a halt, as if to purposely frustrate the reader

Random exhausting conversations that are just paragraphs of characters talking over each other while we're begging for something to happen

:hmmyes:

Holy poo poo :prepop: