Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Still mad about the deaf patch. Every time I see it I seethe a little more. He's in his home, why is he wearing it?
He's not he's in Arduak's home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Boba Pearl posted:

Why do you need two pages with cubes? And then a third forehead cube? What's the point of the symbology if you don't even explain a tiny bit of it
It also always feels incredibly low-rent that they're just doodling the symbols on like random scraps of paper scattered around. I guess it's because ink magic really, really sucks and so the only thing it works on is pages of loose-leaf torn straight out of the Trapper Keeper you use for all your D&D stuff, but it always looks like the comic ran over-budget or something so they had to skimp on the props or they couldn't get permission to tag up the house they're filming in or something. Because why the gently caress do you come up with a ritual involving magic symbols without...I mean look at it. It's a magic loving ritual! This is the sort of poo poo that you should be doing splash pages or whatever for. It should be weird and cool and sell all of us on the whole magical setting and the dangerousness of the current situation and all that poo poo. Instead it looks nappy time after finger painting.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Boba Pearl posted:

Why do you need two pages with cubes? And then a third forehead cube? What's the point of the symbology if you don't even explain a tiny bit of it

Sure it's explained! The cube means order, so when you draw it, things are no longer not ordered. And the spiral means renewal, so when you draw it, it makes things renewed. MAGIC

And then you draw two more pictures of the cube and one more of the spiral so things will be EXTRA ordered and renewed, and then you draw a picture of challenges, because uh

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jun 27, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Challenges [holds up card] can bring [rotates card] Freedom. [pauses dramatically]

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sure it's explained! The cube means order, so when you draw it, things are no longer not ordered. And the spiral means renewal, so when you draw it, it makes things renewed. MAGIC

And then you draw two more pictures of the cube and one more of the spiral so things will be EXTRA ordered and renewed, and then you draw a picture of challenges, because uh

oh gotcha, he tapped 2 order lands, and a third order monster to cast the instant trigger renewal.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Boba Pearl posted:

Still mad about the deaf patch. Every time I see it I seethe a little more. He's in his home, why is he wearing it?

Because Mookie embarrassed himself trying to talk to a deaf person once in Highschool and thinks it would be "nice" if the disabled were to publicly display their disability so "normal people" can judge help them more easily.

I don't know if this is the actual reason, but it feels like it is.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Boba Pearl posted:

It's sewed onto all of his clothes. It's a stupid, stupid patch, but he can't take it off and on at will.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It's so much worse than wearing it in Arudak's house, though. The very first thing we see Snout do in the comic is create the deaf patch for himself, and then during the course of that chapter we learn that he's a hermit who interacts with a total of one person daily (who already knows he's deaf). And he doesn't know the mongrel city within walking distance even exists. It's 100% just to establish Snout is deaf to the reader in a really clumsy way.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's so much worse than wearing it in Arudak's house, though. The very first thing we see Snout do in the comic is create the deaf patch for himself, and then during the course of that chapter we learn that he's a hermit who interacts with a total of one person daily (who already knows he's deaf). And he doesn't know the mongrel city within walking distance even exists. It's 100% just to establish Snout is deaf to the reader in a really clumsy way.
I feel like if Mookie redid the beginning of the comic today he’d just start with a page of Snout writing in his diary: “a really embarrassing thing happened to me today because I’m deaf…”

What I’m saying is for all the comic started bad and clumsy, it’s only managed to get exponentially worse.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
The weirdest and most insulting thing about it to me is that when he first got to Arudak's tower Snout got a fancy outfit, presumably borrowed from either a guest/communal wardrobe or Arudak's own closet... and the very next page the Ink Witch has inexplicably stitched a DEAF tag onto it. And then she gives Snout that sickenly tender look that feels especially condescending in this context. It didn't even have any sort of story relevance despite the lingering close-up of it! No one else got a chance to read it (except maybe Bee, but Snout being deaf was not part of that conflict at all) and as soon as dinner was done Snout took off those clothes and never wore them again. Snout and Ink Witch altered some borrowed clothes because ??????

Also I forgot this brief outfit change was also accompanied by Snout teaching the black-coded woman how to do her hair, and by it taking less than 24 hours in-universe for her to strip her clothing off during another fugue state while Arudak and Inky treat her like a baby who kept them up all night with her screaming. loving hell Mookie.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
It's been said before, but it's worth saying again-- this comic just gets more horrible the more you think about it. Like a fractal of terribleness.

Schubalts posted:

It's sewed onto all of his clothes. It's a stupid, stupid patch, but he can't take it off and on at will.

Well, if the alternative is more naked time…

ScienceSeagull fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jun 28, 2022

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

MiracleFlare posted:

Also I forgot this brief outfit change was also accompanied by Snout teaching the black-coded woman how to do her hair, and by it taking less than 24 hours in-universe for her to strip her clothing off during another fugue state while Arudak and Inky treat her like a baby who kept them up all night with her screaming. loving hell Mookie.

gently caress you Mookie

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Challenges [holds up card] can bring [rotates card] Freedom. [pauses dramatically]

Mystery is just a squiggle

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Maxwell Lord posted:

Mystery is just a squiggle
Imagine reading your lecture notes from magic class and trying to figure out if you wrote "Mystery" or "Expression".

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Imagine living on a world where poo poo like that is so simplistic and poorly defined that idly scribbling in your notebook or striking through a word has a nonzero chance of accidentally activating a sigil that boots you into the shadow realm.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Oh gently caress, I got rid of "sausages" on my grocery list and now my house is on fire.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
My child tried to draw a "cool s" in his notebook and now his classroom is located in the pain dimension.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Breetai posted:

Imagine living on a world where poo poo like that is so simplistic and poorly defined that idly scribbling in your notebook or striking through a word has a nonzero chance of accidentally activating a sigil that boots you into the shadow realm.

this would make a considerably more interesting webcomic

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Mx. posted:

this would make a considerably more interesting webcomic

If only Mookie were not the goofus of the webcomic world.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

| | | |

yep, that definitely evokes freedom

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Fister Roboto posted:

| | | |

yep, that definitely evokes freedom

lol

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Four vertical bars are definitely a symbol connected with freedom. Just, like, you know, inversely.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Moola posted:

Snout looks like someone trying to redraw the Toxic Avenger as a cute softboy and I hate him (Snout not the Toxic Avenger)

This comic would be much better if Snout deep fried peoples' hands once in a while.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

y'know

the toxic avenger musical is great

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

The freedom symbol is a set of prison bars viewed from the outside, maaan.

I swear, at this rate none of you are going to reach the fifth gate of the triple-self mind palace or whatever.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Libra posted:

The freedom symbol is a set of prison bars viewed from the outside, maaan.

I swear, at this rate none of you are going to reach the fifth gate of the triple-self mind palace or whatever.

Nah man, I just had a real nice vacation

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

Oh sure, a vacation will get you halfway to enlightenment, but have you ever stripped naked? Or fallen asleep?

Of course not, it would take you years to reach that level.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.
The bars are kind of uneven so maybe it's supposed to be broken bars? But all the symbols are kind of messy whenever we see them.

Also note how the Renewal symbol has changed direction and shape.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

ScienceSeagull posted:

Also note how the Renewal symbol has changed direction and shape.
Don't @ me.

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
Still thinking about Arudak making things right with Snout by buying him a patched-up pair of old overalls.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i can tell this thread is thrilled about the new page by the fact it's been five hours and nobody posted it

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015
They have to do a ceremony and the head painting thing now despite dream magic never involving any of that previously so that it's absolutely clear that Snout isn't the one doing anything.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Oh my God, I feel like Dougal trying to understand if things are small or far away.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Samovar posted:

Oh my God, I feel like Dougal trying to understand if things are small or far away.

snout's feet are slightly further down on the ground plane, therefore he is closer to us than corpsemom

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
MOOKIE NO WOMAN IN THE HISTORY OF TIME HAS EVER SHAVED THEIR COOCH LIKE THAT

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
what the gently caress is her pube situation?! no-one vegazzles a loving afro over their coochie like it's a dark bob ross. Like when did Homer Simpson get mutton chops, what the gently caress are we doing?! why is she lactating?!??!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Yeah, the incessant nudity is a little weird given the general tone of the comic but whatever, it's the weird precision of every minge being groomed in exactly the same odd and very specific way that really makes it stand out. So to speak. And I have no idea why Mookie thinks boobs have an inseam. Best I can figure it's supposed to be some sort of shadow or something, making it the overlapping sliver in the Venn diagram of Mookie understanding nothing about anatomy and Mookie understanding nothing about shadows.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Boba Pearl posted:

what the gently caress is her pube situation?! no-one vegazzles a loving afro over their coochie like it's a dark bob ross. Like when did Homer Simpson get mutton chops, what the gently caress are we doing?! why is she lactating?!??!

go back and look at some other tits-out comics, he keeps shading boobs like this and I have no idea what he's trying to convey. It literally does just look like they're lactating

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

duh, pubes are like mustaches. if you have them hanging over the lips you get food stuck in them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I think Mookie is trying to show us that he's like, totally a mature dude who's not afraid to draw pussy, but also that he's a progressive feminist who draws women with body hair.

That or Ink Witch and Corpsemom go to the same waxing place and they don't know what the gently caress they're doing.