Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

stephenthinkpad posted:

I always thought "The Middle Kingdom" is not a good translation. I would have used "The Central Kingdom" which would trip off more nutcases.

I think it's meant to echo the same term being used for ancient Egypt, adding to the mysterious orientalism of it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol. meanwhile:

https://twitter.com/ultush/status/1541454944930336768?s=20

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

fart simpson posted:

i know someone who is descended from a noble manchurian bloodline

who doesn't

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

中國 does mean middle kingdom. well 國's connotation in modern times is more like "country". But now it's a shorthand for 中華人民共和國 - Chinese People's Republic. Taiwan is 中華民國 Chinese Republic.

edit: I guess it's psychotic to translate it because when you say it in Chinese you're not thinking its the center of anything. It's just a name. And english already has a name, China.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

someone in the Covid thread mentioned China having epstein level scandals breaking out near weekly that are largely covered up but exposed on underground sites

I remember mentioning epstein to someone in China who was sort of your typical anti govt, pro western lib who responded “you think that’s bad, that happens every week in China” which makes me wonder if that’s like their equivalent of American sites that say every week they have evidence for Biden snorting adrenochrome from dissected babies

like I’m surprised western media wouldn’t have picked up on a Chinese epstein case considering what a huge win for the image of the west it would be when they’ve been taking Ls left and right

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
there's a region in Japan that's called 中国. Mad confusing

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

FrancisFukyomama posted:

someone in the Covid thread mentioned China having epstein level scandals breaking out near weekly that are largely covered up but exposed on underground sites

I remember mentioning epstein to someone in China who was sort of your typical anti govt, pro western lib who responded “you think that’s bad, that happens every week in China” which makes me wonder if that’s like their equivalent of American sites that say every week they have evidence for Biden snorting adrenochrome from dissected babies

like I’m surprised western media wouldn’t have picked up on a Chinese epstein case considering what a huge win for the image of the west it would be when they’ve been taking Ls left and right

yeah there's been some weirdo scandals.

quote:

At least eight children attending the RYB Education pre-school in the upscale Chaoyang district are said to have been injected with unknown substances.

quote:

"Disobedient students were also forced to stand naked or were locked up in a dark room at the kindergarten," one parent told the news portal.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-42105443

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrancisFukyomama posted:

Zhina, the Japanese ww2 era slur

Don't let the libs see this or they might bring it back what with Ukraine and all

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

That story really shocked people because it was in Beijing. China has the population of europe, north america, australia, south africa, and then some. so if you're not shocked weird stuff will be happening somewhere in those 3 continents then you shouldn't be shocked weird stuff happens in China somewhere. But Beijing?

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Antonymous posted:

That story really shocked people because it was in Beijing. China has the population of europe, north america, australia, south africa, and then some. so if you're not shocked weird stuff will be happening somewhere in those 3 continents then you shouldn't be shocked weird stuff happens in China somewhere. But Beijing?

anything like top CPC officials doing epstein stuff though? i was more thinking govt related scandals, hence the epstein comparison

FrancisFukyomama has issued a correction as of 21:03 on Jun 27, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/exMalwa/status/1540840859351953408?cxt=HHwWgMCl0aGmleIqAAAA

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Wait, are brothels no longer legal in china?

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Femur posted:

They were never legal, just mostly unenforced except for the occasional very public crackdown.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

FrancisFukyomama posted:

anything like top CPC officials doing epstein stuff though? i was more thinking govt related scandals, hence the epstein comparison

There is that guys who was in Central Bank (might have been a chief manager in Bank of China) who was corrupted and had many many mistresses (I refused to believe the 100+ mistresses version of the story, you just can't remember the names of 100 mistresses).

He got executed.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Jun 27, 2022

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

There is that guys who was in Central Bank (might have been a chief manager in Bank of China) who was corrupted and had many many mistresses (I refused to believe the 100+ mistresses version of the story, you just can't remember the names of 100 mistresses).

He got executed.
well, so did epstein

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

well, so did epstein

Epstein got killed because he knew too much dirt not he did too much degenerated things. I would be happy if Epstein was a vigilante kill.

Also America has a weird tradition that they don't throw government officials in jail.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Which bad Hollywood shows did you watch that gave you the idea American college is free?

This line from wiki actually.
"Community college tuition is free in 47 states to qualified individuals"
But I guess I failed to take into account how extreme that qualifier is in America.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weka posted:

But I guess I failed to take into account how extreme that qualifier is in America.

loaded words?

in MY america?

C0N5T1P4T3D
Jun 19, 2022

by Pragmatica

Femur posted:

This is 9/11 for white guys who write "but at what cost" articles for western media.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
911 for Hong Kongers who enjoyed sex tourism in Dongguan and made "Going Westward" sex tourism movies.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

GlassEye-Boy posted:

They were never legal, just mostly unenforced except for the occasional very public crackdown.

you used to see obvious seedy massage places around shenzhen just a few years ago and i can’t remember the last time ive seen a place like that here. someone is cleaning them up

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Weka posted:

its means tested to an extreme extent to where almost no-one gets this

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

taiwan has brothels. they're illegal but if they aren't public facing the government doesn't care, there's one next to their president's mansion. If you see an unmarked door with a lot of people going in and out it's either good sushi or a brothel. I've been prepositioned on the street a few times too, and have several friends who worked in them. it's absurdly normalized to my american brain

There's a street that has a lot of the hotels for japanese businessmen and the second you go into any connecting alleyway its in your face if you know what it is. lots of good bars in there too

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Jun 28, 2022

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I played Yakuza after I lived in Taiwan and I was like ooooooooooh

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Taiwan has legal prostitution (more legal than Nevada)

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

stephenthinkpad posted:

911 for Hong Kongers who enjoyed sex tourism in Dongguan and made "Going Westward" sex tourism movies.

That makes no sense. Prostitution is legal in Hong Kong. Why would they go to the mainland?

Anyway, prostitution in China is still persisting. Shady Barbershop places you see on a walk down a street in the middle of the night are not as common as they used to be pre covid, but there are still around.

Hell, if you walk anywhere in Sanlitun, prostitute calling cards still litter the streets.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Antonymous posted:

taiwan has brothels. they're illegal but if they aren't public facing the government doesn't care, there's one next to their president's mansion. If you see an unmarked door with a lot of people going in and out it's either good sushi or a brothel. I've been prepositioned on the street a few times too, and have several friends who worked in them. it's absurdly normalized to my american brain

There's a street that has a lot of the hotels for japanese businessmen and the second you go into any connecting alleyway its in your face if you know what it is. lots of good bars in there too

this uh sounds like something that would be considered a bigger deal if it was true in regards to mainland china

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

stephenthinkpad posted:

I always thought "The Middle Kingdom" is not a good translation. I would have used "The Central Kingdom" which would trip off more nutcases.

How about 'Middle Earth' instead

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Antonymous posted:

just curious but do you get the sense that there's less of a moral hangup about it? or are there fewer double standards in the culture? i get that feeling from american culture which might come from christianity

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
like america is like a naughty nun. they're naughty but they want to be a nun at the same time, instead of "you're a nun" or "you're naughty." there's no shame in being naughty, but don't try to be naughty and a nun at the same time

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How about 'Middle Earth' instead

You can translate 中原 as Middle Earth. It's an older word than 中国. It started possibly around the warring period and originally didn't have geographical meaning but later pointed to the middle and lower reaches of Yellow River.

The Sinic civilization grew out of Wei River in the Yellow River system and took thousand year to unify the Yangtze River and eventually cover the whole Pearl River Delta.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 05:23 on Jun 28, 2022

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How about middle plains? Can we use that pseudo translation?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

like america is like a naughty nun. they're naughty but they want to be a nun at the same time, instead of "you're a nun" or "you're naughty." there's no shame in being naughty, but don't try to be naughty and a nun at the same time

America is like Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS. Don't let the gonzagas distract you from it's essentially fascist nature.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

digging the new rfa gif cartoon format

Superstitious strongman

quote:

Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen changed his official birthdate to Aug. 5, 1952 from April 4, 1951, a switch he said corrected a mistake from back when it was registered during wartime in the Southeast Asian country. But critics say the highly superstitious strongman moved his birth from the Year of the Rabbit to the Year of the Dragon, considered auspicious to followers of the Chinese zodiac. Some reports said he changed the date after the recent death of his older brother, fearing the birthdate he had been using may have led to his brother’s demise because it conflicted with the Chinese zodiac.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

FrancisFukyomama posted:

nah, she just thought Manchuria was the direct translation in English of manchoukuo. she made the same mistake with Sino and thinking it was a direct translation of Zhina, the Japanese ww2 era slur

on an unrelated note, North Korea seems to have crushed the omicron outbreak, since this is the WSJ and you know they’d love to be gloating over it if they failed https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/north-koreas-first-covid-wave-has-passed-with-no-apparent-signs-of-catastrophe-11656335120

the desire to move the world past the pandemic (read: enforce wage discipline and end the tight labor market) trumps the typical need to scaremonger about designated enemies

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

digging the new rfa gif cartoon format

Superstitious strongman

This seems incredibly racist to me

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/chenweihua/status/1541794234071715844?cxt=HHwWiMC46fzrxuUqAAAA

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

50% odds they would have been executed, 50% odds they would be protected by the government ministry responsible for drinking water, which would get a ban placed on media stories about water quality and deal with individuals talking about it by first deleting their social media accounts and then, if they didn't get the message, inviting them for tea with the police and a serious warning that if they don't shut the gently caress up about the poison water they'll be spending a lot of time in prison for damaging social harmony

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

KomradeX posted:

This seems incredibly racist to me

Oh most definitely