Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for Pulling My Wife Out of a Situation with My Dad

quote:

A few months ago, my wife gave birth to twins (a boy and a girl, we named them Luke and Leia).

YTA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

*scrolls down*

"edit: yes, I actually named the twins Luke and Leia"

*scrolls back up*

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

quote:

I'm looking into options for legally adding a second name so they have the option of not going by Luke or Leia when they get older.

Luke Jaime and Leia Cersei

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for Pulling My Wife Out of a Situation with My Dad

If you know your Dad's going to be lovely to your wife when she has kids, why did you not cut contact with him before? Why play this stupid game and let your wife be hurt even once?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

edogawa rando posted:

Luke Jaime and Leia Cersei

Luke Anthony and Leia Bourdain.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If you know your Dad's going to be lovely to your wife when she has kids, why did you not cut contact with him before? Why play this stupid game and let your wife be hurt even once?

I feel like your solution to every problem people have with their relatives is to cut them off.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I feel like your solution to every problem people have with their relatives is to cut them off.

Reddit has a funny habit of bringing us only stories of the terriblest relatives.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Acebuckeye13 posted:

And I feel like your solution to every form of abuse is :decorum: :shrug:

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

Acebuckeye13 posted:

In fairness, usually one or more parties in these posts is remarkably lovely. People aren't writing in about minor disagreements, they're writing about Bad poo poo

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

The kid is so happy and the person sounds exasperated like they're yelling at a dog that's done this before. This video is perfect

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for throwing away uneaten food at my boyfriend's aunts house?

quote:

This happened Saturday night so still very fresh and I don't know how to feel because I had a room full of people hate me, my boyfriend be clearly disappointed in me...and I just did what I've always done and known since I was a kid.

I have been with my boyfriend for about 6 weeks now and Saturday was the first day I was going to meet any of his family. Obviously I wanted to make a good impression since his aunt really was the one that raised him (his mom was there but it was a very weird and cold relationship that almost seemed like they were strangers--another post for another time I guess).

When we got there I was blown away at how much food there was and there was only like 11 people but by there was easily enough main courses and sides to feed double that. It was really good, and I sort of felt like because there was so much food, they were expecting me to eat more than I usually would, so I was so stuffed.

I wanted to make a good impression, so I offered to help clean up. His aunt was very happy to have my help so I started cleaning the table and started dumping all the uneaten food in the trash. I truly had no idea they had any intention of saving it.

His aunt tried to be nice about it but I could tell she was really mad, his mom on the other hand and was way more direct and accused me of wasting money, wasting food and not thinking about the family members who were going to eat later.

We never, ever ate leftovers in my house and food either got eaten or thrown away. I said I was sorry and his aunt said she would try to understand but his mom said that I was "way too spoiled for this family" which really hurt my feelings. I tried to talk to my boyfriend about it and he said he was upset that I was so careless and at least didn't ask first. I said I was sorry and I didn't throw everything away--he said I'd done enough damage before I was stopped.

I get that I messed up but it was truly out of my own experience being very different and a bad assumption on my part not because I was being malicious...was I the AITA?

quote:

But I always thought [leftovers] was for very poor people, his family is not poor.

quote:

I never saw anyone at leftovers in my entire life, it's just not something we did in my family or social circle. I mean maybe like a piece of cake later in the day or whatever but never, ever, ever saved anything for the next day--my parents would have thrown a fit if we did that.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I would be so incredibly pissed if someone threw out leftovers in my house.

Also, knowing a kid actually named Anakin, one named Maximus, and other such treasures, twins named Luke and Leia are fairly low on my "Man, that's evil to do to a kid" rankings for names.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Luke is a perfectly normal name. Leia can pretend it’s spelled Leah for unofficial purposes

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
It is okay if this lady was sheltered, and this is her first time learning about leftovers, as long as she immediately learns her lesson

I would range from extremely pissed to "oh, that sucks but oh well" depending on what got tossed. Leftover dry patties from the cookout? Eh. Thanksgiving style effort? Very very unhappy.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Lady thought saving/eating leftovers was means-tested lmao

“Yes according to your tax returns you made $32k last year, it is literally illegal for you to save this food”

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Look at this idiot depriving herself of frying up ham slices after having a baked ham.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mx. posted:

WIBTA If I didn’t go to my brother’s wedding over a bridesmaid dress?

The final update on this one went places...

quote:

Thanks to some responses, I called the bridal salon and asked what colors were ordered. Four dresses in the color “flint” one in “mulberry.” The MOH was setting me up to believe “mulberry” was the color of ALL the dresses. So, I ordered one in mulberry and one in flint. I only let the MOH know I purchased a "mulberry" dress.

I caught a red eye to be there for the rehearsal. They had a room to get ready in the morning and wanted all the dresses stored there. I show up with the mulberry dress. The bride begins crying because it’s “too late to fix it!” She asks if I would be upset if asked to drop out because mulberry is for the MOH.

I pretended like I had made such a big mistake! I said, “I know a girl that works at the salon. Let me call her and see if there’s anyway to make it right, and if not I’ll step down because I want you to have the perfect day.” I show back up the next morning to start getting ready with the correct dress in tow. “My friend looked in the back for me and they JUST had this returned yesterday, what are the odds! Exact style, color and my size, it’s a sign!”

Silence. Then an awkward, “that’s amazing.”

Now I’ll be honest, I thought the revenge would be that they had to have me and younger brother in the wedding and photos. I couldn’t have planned the next part. They had to explain to the makeup artist there was an additional bridesmaid meaning they planned from the beginning that I wouldn't be in this wedding.

The ceremony went fine. We took photos after.

Then, there were no place settings for me and little bro with the wedding party at the reception since banked on one less bridesmaid and one less groomsman being present. The table was almost not long enough, two chairs had to be thrown on the ends. We didn’t get food Initially because we were actually in the seating plan at other tables so our plates were brought to those place settings. I can tell my brother (groom) seems ticked off at the staff for seemingly not having things set up properly but the bride and best man diverted his attention.

Before he (groom) left he found me and said he asked the MOH why the setting were wrong and he was told I asked to be dropped from the wedding party weeks ago then showed up and demanded to be in the wedding.

I said I didn't ask to be dropped and showed him my phone where she gave me a thumbs up on the dress. He noticed the screenshot was not the dress I was currently wearing so I said I had to last minute switch it out after confusion on the color. He seemed satisfied with that.

They left on their honeymoon, and my brother returned several days early… alone. So, you can guess how that went.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

It is okay if this lady was sheltered, and this is her first time learning about leftovers, as long as she immediately learns her lesson

I would range from extremely pissed to "oh, that sucks but oh well" depending on what got tossed. Leftover dry patties from the cookout? Eh. Thanksgiving style effort? Very very unhappy.

My wife's uncle is a big man-child who refuses to eat anything that was not freshly cooked for that particular meal. Leftovers, frozen & re-heated dal, whatever, if he knew it had been in the fridge/freezer and then re-heated in any fashion, he wasn't going to touch it. He would insist that my mother-in-law (his sister) cook something fresh for him instead--and she did, for the whole month he was visiting.

He also refused to eat anything except Indian food but "old man will only eat the food he was raised on" isn't particularly unusual, just frustrating when you're trying to find a lunch spot in some random small town.

Das Boo posted:

Look at this idiot depriving herself of frying up ham slices after having a baked ham.

Given enough Hawaiian rolls, I'll happily have leftover ham sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for days.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Hughlander posted:

but I don't want to guess drat it

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

quote:

I don't have all the in person details because I flew back home, but through my little brother I've learned that currently our older brother isn't speaking to his wife. Our sister is still her bestie and she is trying to get them back together. It's unclear if anyone (aside from bride and groom) knows exactly what happened on the honeymoon. I wouldn't be lying to say I hope this ends in an annulment.

She doesn't know either.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hawowanlawow posted:

Too cheeky an ending

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Hughlander posted:

lmao

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Hughlander posted:

Lol. If she didn't want them in why not straight up say it??

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Pham Nuwen posted:

My wife's uncle is a big man-child who refuses to eat anything that was not freshly cooked for that particular meal. Leftovers, frozen & re-heated dal, whatever, if he knew it had been in the fridge/freezer and then re-heated in any fashion, he wasn't going to touch it. He would insist that my mother-in-law (his sister) cook something fresh for him instead--and she did, for the whole month he was visiting.

He also refused to eat anything except Indian food but "old man will only eat the food he was raised on" isn't particularly unusual, just frustrating when you're trying to find a lunch spot in some random small town.

Given enough Hawaiian rolls, I'll happily have leftover ham sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner for days.

I know some people like that. I know some leftovers suck, but so many are too good. Soups and stews? Infinitely better day 2, :discourse:

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

People would ASK QUESTIONS as to why his siblings weren't there at the wedding party.

Nerdlord Actual fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 28, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for using 'insulting' wallpapers for my phone's home screen after my coworkers kept touching it?

quote:

Ohhhkay. This might sound ridiculous but allow me to take the time to explain.

So I (M28) started working at this company for 6 months. My guy coworkers are decent. However, I noticed a pattern with my female coworkers (a couple of them) which consists of them opening/looking through my phone whenever they get the chance (me using the bathroom/meeting etc). So far I've caught them doing it 3 times. They didn't take something or open any apps because I would've known but still didn't know why they kept snooping.

I wanted to tackle this issue in an non-confrontational way since they're both beyond sweet except for this snooping thing. So what I did was set up "insulting" or "offensive" wallpapers (some of them I made myself) wallpapers that say "DON'T TOUCH MY PHONE rear end in a top hat/MUGGLE/WEIRDO" or "I CAN SEE YOU" (with John Cena waving his hand) or "B_/_ DON'T TOUCH MY PHONE" (with a middle finger in the middle of the screen). It was just an experiment but apparently it got to them. They claimed that I had "offended them" on a personal level, called them names and so on. I told them they had no business touching my phone but they made excuses saying they were just trying to borrow my charger/check the time etc etc. The office got split, some said I should've come to the ladies if I "really" had an issue. Some say I was justified and ultimately no one gets to control what I use as my wallpapers.

They're now expecting a formal apology but I refused.

AITA? Did I handle this inappropriately?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

My friend has a brother that only eats pizza cold. When they order pizza, he get's his own special pizza that immediately goes in the fridge.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Does your phone not have a lock????

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

Does your phone not have a lock????

He turned it off because remembering a password is hard, apparently

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mx. posted:

AITA for using 'insulting' wallpapers for my phone's home screen after my coworkers kept touching it?

What kind of 28 year old is constantly leaving their smartphone sitting out in the open on their desk while away for 15-60 minutes?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ilmucche posted:

She didn't want the gay brother there, but also did not want to explicitly exclude him for being gay. There's a bunch of middle steps to which we are not privy, but I imagine it was a series of classical escalations where one stupid cover up grows into an inexplicable farce.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I know some people like that. I know some leftovers suck, but so many are too good. Soups and stews? Infinitely better day 2, :discourse:

the worst is anything potato based, fries and mash just do not reheat well.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AceClown posted:

the worst is anything potato based, fries and mash just do not reheat well.

That's why you make leftover mashed potatoes into low-effort latkes.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

mashed potato leftovers go in the waffle iron

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Sometimes I like to spread them on toast.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My friend has a brother that only eats pizza cold. When they order pizza, he get's his own special pizza that immediately goes in the fridge.

I wouldn't get a pizza just for that, but some are spectacular cold or reheated. Depends on the brand.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's why you make leftover mashed potatoes into low-effort latkes.

What the hell are leftover mashed potatoes?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
hash browns or the life affirming pyttipanna

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

you take a cold baked potato and you put it on toast with lots of butter and have a toast potato sandwich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

leftover mashed cauliflower is often mistaken for leftover mashed potatoes