Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine Warhammer fans caring about the detailed coloring of their armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I've done a few play-throughs of Total Warhams where I leave my legendary lord back at base with a skeleton crew while I lead with the first general I purchased. Certainly not optimal but fun for personal narrative campaigns.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Muscle Tracer posted:

Yeah, it's hard for me to imagine Warhammer fans caring about the detailed coloring of their armies.
This got me good.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Muscle Tracer posted:

This joke is funny as hell, but given the amount of unpainted or primer-only armies I played against(and with, because working on painting an entire skaven army with finger joint problems can gently caress off) in my days of playing tabletop, I'm willing to bet that if GW had offered pre-painted alternatives a lot of players would have gone for them.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

You'd think they'd offer pre-painted stuff for the new Horus Heresy line at least. Not a lot of flexibility in colours there.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

GWs corporate culture had very strongly been Hobby first, Gaming second and it filtered all the way down to instructions for Redshirts in their stores. They seem to have pivoted on that a bit ago, but I bet there are remnants of that old sentiment at the company.

Edit: Also now they get to sell you overpriced paints and stuff instead of doing it for you and you're supposed to like it

Twigand Berries fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 27, 2022

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Anyone else get an email to participate in a research study for people that play Total War that was sent direct from CA or is it just for people who inexplicably put 500 hours into 3?

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

Twigand Berries posted:

Anyone else get an email to participate in a research study for people that play Total War that was sent direct from CA or is it just for people who inexplicably put 500 hours into 3?

I think I got it as well.

So...

quote:

Creative Assembly is planning a research study and we would like to recruit some Total War players to take part.

Being part of the study means…
Being paid for your time and input
Taking part in different task types, including written and video responses
Tasks can be completed around your schedule and at times that are convenient to you
Getting stuck into group conversations and interacting with others taking part

I wonder how much they will pay? Probably a amazon voucher for £20 or something. But yeah I've put a bajillion hours into all the total war games.

*Edit

loving hell

quote:

You will be paid £320 for completing all the activities across the 6 weeks

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Muscle Tracer posted:

See, I'm a Total War fan first and don't give a poo poo.

Kanos posted:

This joke is funny as hell, but given the amount of unpainted or primer-only armies I played against(and with, because working on painting an entire skaven army with finger joint problems can gently caress off) in my days of playing tabletop, I'm willing to bet that if GW had offered pre-painted alternatives a lot of players would have gone for them.

Twigand Berries posted:

GWs corporate culture had very strongly been Hobby first, Gaming second and it filtered all the way down to instructions for Redshirts in their stores. They seem to have pivoted on that a bit ago, but I bet there are remnants of that old sentiment at the company.

Edit: Also now they get to sell you overpriced paints and stuff instead of doing it for you and you're supposed to like it

Yeah I'm not a hobbyist, I'm here to play a game. I would 1000% rather just buy pre-painted stuff if I played tabletop. I don't bother personalizing my chess pieces so long as someone's made fancy ones on my behalf.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Twigand Berries posted:

Yup, got that email as well.

I own TW3, but haven't played it yet (for semi-obvious reasons). Got a couple of hundred hours in TW2, though.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Wow i did NOT get the email, you can't leave me out you'll regret this!

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I just picked up II as a fan from afar of Warhammer Fantasy, but I've never played a Total War game before. I'm picking up the mechanics as I go and accepting that I'm going to screw up a dozen campaigns or more before I win anything, but I do have some general questions about the format that new player guides don't really address. How many turns should I expect a normal difficulty campaign to take once I figure out what I'm doing? What counts as early game vs mid and late? How many heroes do I want and when? Is there a point when I know I'm in a failure cascade like X-Com and just start over? Is there a turn limit? How do I pop a hero out of an army once I pop him in? How often should I play with diplomacy and what can I expect to do with it?

A mix of conceptual genre questions and fiddlies I guess, but without any background it feels hard to tell whether I'm doing well or not.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Twigand Berries posted:

I got one but it is just an invitation to register with a link to a questionaire. They probably sent a ton of them out to members of the total war access. They want videos and interviews and stuff so I imagine its not going to be a lot of people.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I just picked up II as a fan from afar of Warhammer Fantasy, but I've never played a Total War game before. I'm picking up the mechanics as I go and accepting that I'm going to screw up a dozen campaigns or more before I win anything, but I do have some general questions about the format that new player guides don't really address. How many turns should I expect a normal difficulty campaign to take once I figure out what I'm doing? What counts as early game vs mid and late? How many heroes do I want and when? Is there a point when I know I'm in a failure cascade like X-Com and just start over? Is there a turn limit? How do I pop a hero out of an army once I pop him in? How often should I play with diplomacy and what can I expect to do with it?

A mix of conceptual genre questions and fiddlies I guess, but without any background it feels hard to tell whether I'm doing well or not.

-Normal campaign depends with the length. 100 turn or more, depending on what the victory conditions are. sometimes they are easier than others. I'd say at 150 you're probably happy enough with the campaign to call it a win even if you haven't gotten all victory conditions.
-I guess i'd say first 30 turns are early game, then the next 50 are midgame, then the rest late game? Dunno really, though I suppose the easiest way to judge it is what levels your cities are, since the higher tiers allow higher tier recruitment buildings, and thus better units.
-Heroes are of varying use, some factions have great ones, others are middling, but they all tend to be somewhat useful. you have a limit of how many heroes you can make, it's not the worst idea to be at the cap, though technologies and buildings tend to raise it as well.
-You'll know you're in a failure cascade when your cities are falling to the enemy faster than you can raise armies to defend them, but even then i guess i could see a possible turnaround. it's up to you really, you don't lose till you've lost all of your cities and all your armies.
-no turn limit
-you select the army, go over to the hero card, select it, and then right click anywhere on the map, the guy will leave the army and go there.
-diplomacy works ages better in tw3, but the main thing with it (and I almost brought it up at the failure cascade answer) is try to avoid fighting too many factions at once, especially in the early game. only declare war when you are ready to attack. pretty much the only campaigns i've actually straight up lost come from having too many enemies at once, because you'll fight a heroic battle to defend your town from 2 stacks, and then immediately be attacked by a whole different faction and all that effort goes out the window.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

quote:

How many turns should I expect a normal difficulty campaign to take once I figure out what I'm doing?

This can vary greatly depending on the faction and which scenario you are playing and how focused you are on the campaign objective. My ME campaigns were usually around 80-120 turns for most factions.

quote:

What counts as early game vs mid and late?

I consider tier 1 troops early, 2 and 3 mid, and 4 and 5 late. I'm sure there is some wiggle room in there. Early game is usually you expanding over all of the nobodies around you and consolidating territory, mid is when you start brushing up against the big boys and get some larger wars going, and late is usually the final few quest battles or when I'm steamrolling towards my objectives with a doomstack or two.

quote:

How many heroes do I want and when?

That is very faction dependent honestly so it's hard to say. Heroes are very good and over time generally the more the better as they can be quite a big more powerful than a regular unit but cost similar upkeep.

quote:

Is there a point when I know I'm in a failure cascade like X-Com and just start over?

Not like Xcom. Generally losing an army takes something like 6 turns to fully recover from. On normal difficulty the enemy AI is not particularly good at going for your throat so losing your lord for a little while is unfortunate but not a game breaker.

quote:

Is there a turn limit?

No, not really, though I guess it is possible for your primary opponent(s) to get so powerful they could effectively wipe you out.

quote:

How do I pop a hero out of an army once I pop him in?

Just select the army and you can see all of the unit cards at the bottom. Now select your hero and no other units. Now right click someplace outside of your army for your hero to move to.

quote:

How often should I play with diplomacy and what can I expect to do with it?

Once again this varies based on the faction. Factions like Greenskins and Beastmen don't really care, while factions like High Elves, Slaanesh, and the Empire benefit a lot. Generally try to keep your reliabililty up by not breaking treaties. If you break a NAP, wait 10 turns before attacking the faction or you will take a large hit. A common newbie mistake is to ally with everyone who seems friendly who asks you. Eventually you will take a huge reliability hit when somebody you are allied to declares war on somebody else you are allied to so you are forced to break a treaty. For most factions, trade routes are good money and worth persuing.

In general, don't worry about it and have a good time. This isn't the kind of game where building a wrong building on turn 2 means inevitable failiure on turn 30. There are some things that will take you by surprise (chaos armies), but normal mode is pretty forgiving and the worst thing that happens is you have fun and try something different the next time.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks all. I started with a Mazdamundi campaign and wandered around until I felt like I couldn't pursue objectives without getting tag teamed by Skaven and Vampirates, then tried Queek and felt like I stalled out around turn 70, and picked up Mannfred because the army is super stylish but around turn 50 or so I'm getting tag teamed again by Skaven and multiple Empire armies steamrolling my outer territories because VC garrisons are apparently all zombies and useless. I was able to turn a "decisive defeat" battle against Drycha with three treemen and 2 zoat units into a close victory with my grave guard/black knight/varghoul army so that was fun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Losing outer territories is frustrating but not at all close to a failure state. Expand a little slower and build walls everywhere. Eventually you'll learn when you can skip the walls, but until, walls.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Eararaldor posted:

loving hell

hey pretty good deal, thats a bunch of DLC whenever it comes out

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Thanks all. I started with a Mazdamundi campaign and wandered around until I felt like I couldn't pursue objectives without getting tag teamed by Skaven and Vampirates, then tried Queek and felt like I stalled out around turn 70, and picked up Mannfred because the army is super stylish but around turn 50 or so I'm getting tag teamed again by Skaven and multiple Empire armies steamrolling my outer territories because VC garrisons are apparently all zombies and useless. I was able to turn a "decisive defeat" battle against Drycha with three treemen and 2 zoat units into a close victory with my grave guard/black knight/varghoul army so that was fun.

Enjoy the failures? The worst part of the game is when you're steamrolling everyone and it gets boring.

You might have fun playing as the Vampire Pirates. You don't really need to control a large territory - you can just sail around and get into fights and have fun. Smash into and sack port cities and set up Pirate Coves there and put the money maker buildings in. You can build up your flagship to recruit the cool troops directly from it. Noctilus starts in a practically impregnable area right in the middle and you can go in lots of fun directions.

Or, try out the Tomb Kings. Their units have zero upkeep and zero recruitment cost so you can have fun experimenting and just smashing into people. You can quickly recruit an emergency army if you're gonna get stomped in a city as long as you have a 'Spare Army'.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks. I am enjoying it either way, especially when playing as villain factions because you get to do the Saturday Morning Cartoon routine. "Oh no, they killed 300 clanrats; I'll get you next time Grimgor!" I just felt like I didn't know which way was up because the game has plenty of different systems running at once.

Edit: I have seen some guides mention "agents" as well as heroes. Are those a different class of hero or is that just old nomenclature from previous games? I think I may want to have more roaming heroes outside my armies just so I can see if any armies are coming my way.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 27, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Same thing as Heroes, they can take certain actions on the campaign map as well as scout around

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Speaking of Skaven, are warpfire throwers bad? They do a boatload of damage if I can get them to fire, but between their short range and forgetting to turn off skirmish mode they usually only ever get one volley off and spend the rest of the battle scurrying away from everything.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Turn off skirmish mode and micro them properly to make them really matter.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

toasterwarrior posted:

Turn off skirmish mode and micro them properly to make them really matter.

Ok, I figured that was the case. I think the next time I load of Queek I'm going to try a checkerboard formation and see if that let's them get some more shots off.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
with flamethrower units 1-2 is the right call. they require a bit of micro but can devastate the opposition with proper placement on flanks or at choke points

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Speaking of Skaven, are warpfire throwers bad? They do a boatload of damage if I can get them to fire, but between their short range and forgetting to turn off skirmish mode they usually only ever get one volley off and spend the rest of the battle scurrying away from everything.

I've always found Death Globes (and maybe the revamped Poison Wind Globes?) to fulfill a similar purpose while being far better due to their arced fire. Both are small units that annihilate clusters of infantry but only one type actually gets to attack with any regularity.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

There's a menu somewhere that lets you turn of default-skirmish. Also default-run and default-guardmode, though those are less annoying.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I've never played a total war game before but I do like warhammer. Should I start with 3 to see if I like it as a beginner or save a bunch of money and start with 1 or 2? Google searches mostly just revealed that you eventually need all of them to combine them into one huge megagame and that opinion is split as to whether 2 or 3 is a better starting point.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I started with 2 and am having a pretty good time. More factions and freeLC +more stuff to do once you get bored of what it comes with.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, personally I'd start with WH2 right now. Plenty of content even without owning the first game (which is basically DLC for the latter two games), stable as it can get thanks to five years of patching, tons of free stuff available on top of that.

WH3 will, eventually, get to a point where it beats out WH2 in terms of sheer stuff, but it's not there yet. It's getting patched, it'll get its big map in August, and maybe that will work without too many issues. We'll see. Until then, WH2 is probably the smartest way to dip a toe into the series. If you like what WH2 has to offer, grab the first game while it's on sale (on the same storefront that you bought WH2 from, mind), and you'll get Mortal Empires and have enough poo poo to gently caress around with for a few months, at least. Plus, this way, once Immortal Empires drops and WH3 (hopefully) fulfills its potential, you'll only need to grab the 3rd game to immediately hop into that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gonkish posted:

Yeah, personally I'd start with WH2 right now. Plenty of content even without owning the first game (which is basically DLC for the latter two games), stable as it can get thanks to five years of patching, tons of free stuff available on top of that.

WH3 will, eventually, get to a point where it beats out WH2 in terms of sheer stuff, but it's not there yet. It's getting patched, it'll get its big map in August, and maybe that will work without too many issues. We'll see. Until then, WH2 is probably the smartest way to dip a toe into the series. If you like what WH2 has to offer, grab the first game while it's on sale (on the same storefront that you bought WH2 from, mind), and you'll get Mortal Empires and have enough poo poo to gently caress around with for a few months, at least. Plus, this way, once Immortal Empires drops and WH3 (hopefully) fulfills its potential, you'll only need to grab the 3rd game to immediately hop into that.
seconding this

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Great, that's what I was hoping anyway. Thanks!

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Skirmish mode off and careful micromanagement is a necessity for them, but they're a pretty powerful hammer. If you can maneuver one around to an enemy unit's flank, they'll absolutely devastate that unit.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

WH2 is more complete and the Vortex campaigns are generally easier and imo more fun than the WH3 campaign. I wouldn't start with WH1, but you do need WH1+WH2 to play the Mortal Empires campaign which is basically the 'default' campaign

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

got that survey email and applied

"realm of chaos is a design triumph and a bar raising moment for the medium of sand box strategy video games"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Did any of you that got that email give WH3 a negative review on Steam?

99pct of germs posted:

got that survey email and applied

"realm of chaos is a design triumph and a bar raising moment for the medium of sand box strategy video games"
You monster.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arghy checking that box hard as gently caress right now

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Weird D&D shoutout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

JBP posted:

I really hate the new sieges lol. What if sieges but they take even longer and are weird to manage.

yeah.