Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

OldMemes posted:

The Divergent Universe is a pocket reality that doesn't have time. Except it does. Somehow?

They tried to awkwardly explain it away as the DU had time, it's just none of the inhabitants had a word for it.

The premise sounds interesting ("A universe where time doesn't exist") but actually making that a reality for listeners would be nearly impossible, unless you just blasted every scene in every story, all at once, which would just be a cacophony of noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The actual logic of "no time" is that time travel is impossible in the DU because it's a perfect causal loop so you can't establish coordinates. This also addles the Doctor really badly even before he understands why.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Davros1 posted:

They tried to awkwardly explain it away as the DU had time, it's just none of the inhabitants had a word for it.

The premise sounds interesting ("A universe where time doesn't exist") but actually making that a reality for listeners would be nearly impossible, unless you just blasted every scene in every story, all at once, which would just be a cacophony of noise.

It's also an arc that has a lot of weaker stories iirc, including the Creed of Kromon.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
Wasn’t the DU arc supposed to go on a lot longer (something like 4 McGann seasons), and they were forced to cut it short when the new series was announced?

While the first season was not great, I thought the second one was a bit better, with an underwhelming finale.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The thing about Night of the Doctor is they'd previously done online-only short content and it wasn't anything especially dramatic, usually just a 1 or 2 scene 1 or 2 actor setup that gave a vague hint as to the story to come. And then THAT poo poo hits.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zaroff posted:

Wasn’t the DU arc supposed to go on a lot longer (something like 4 McGann seasons), and they were forced to cut it short when the new series was announced?

While the first season was not great, I thought the second one was a bit better, with an underwhelming finale.

Yeah, several of the stories in the next set were originally from the arc and then had those narrative elements removed. Time Works, for instance, was the original basis of the climax of that arc.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I guess I did really like The Natural History of Fear, which was technically a part of that arc? It's hard to remember.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zaroff posted:

Yeah, the DU was supposed to be longer, but when the show was coming back, BF decided it wouldn't be good to be in the midst of a storyline where the Doctor has no TARDIS, and there's no Earth, Daleks, Cybermen, etc. for any new potential listeners, so they cut it short. Which, in retrospect was a good thing, because I think four "seasons" of that would've been too much.

Bicyclops posted:

I guess I did really like The Natural History of Fear, which was technically a part of that arc? It's hard to remember.

Yeah, it was part of the "first" season of the DU.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
The first du episode was brilliant don't really remember too much of what went down in the du after that though. Except for the big reveal of davros when they returned. That was glorious.

Just out of curiosity does anyone have a comfort doctor who or big finish story?

Mine is the Marion Conspiracy!

Introduces the great Evelyn Smythe and its just a lot of fun!
Gives me the warm fuzzys whenever I start listening to that. And six is on top form!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Well this is something I never expected to ever see, but ok!

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Along with the artist’s watermark :)

https://twitter.com/thecyberdevil/status/1523284210219429889?s=21&t=s3fLiUL1kz9QMJoSVJJf4w

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

...did Ryan make it himself?! :psyduck:

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Either that, or he’s outed himself as someone who uses one of those lovely websites which search the internet, steal artwork and try and make a profit from their work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It doesn't come up very often for some reason, but Ryan Gosling made his fortune selling Doctor Who shirts. He had to take a paycut to become a movie star instead, as well as accept that now he'd be less sexually attractive as a result.

Zaroff posted:

Either that, or he’s outed himself as someone who uses one of those lovely websites which search the internet, steal artwork and try and make a profit from their work.

Oh, he's friends with Joseph Gordon-Levitt?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1542145867376910336?t=evp2TkmfDOYmFw9aoCOLbw&s=19

That's a badass cover!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

lol, I thought he had the Phoenix Force for a moment there

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

I understand that they're a business but gosh drat, already pretty much have hit my limit on how many stories I can afford. Really want to show support for this release and enjoyed the last quite a bit!

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Confusedslight posted:

I understand that they're a business but gosh drat, already pretty much have hit my limit on how many stories I can afford. Really want to show support for this release and enjoyed the last quite a bit!

It does get to be a bit much but I can listen to Eric Roberts (or any Master actor tbh) read a phonebook. And I promise that's true, I have seen "A Talking Cat?" in its entirety, more than once.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'm about to jump back into Big Finish tomorrow because I'll have a lot of time to listen to stuff in the background while I work, but it's been years, so hopefully I remember what's going on, lol. I guess since they sell them individually, things should be pretty self-contained. I'm sure I'll remember who Thomas Brewster is and what was going on between Eight and Lucy Miller.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

God drat, Eric Roberts is a beautiful man and a fantastic Master

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Vinylshadow posted:

God drat, Eric Roberts is a beautiful man and a fantastic Master

Now I want to see the story of how the Roberts Master managed to go and steal the Twelfth Doctor's magnificent hair, with corresponding imagery of a perfectly bald Peter Capaldi chasing him through time and space and becoming ever more furious as it goes on.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Class3KillStorm posted:

Now I want to see the story of how the Roberts Master managed to go and steal the Twelfth Doctor's magnificent hair, with corresponding imagery of a perfectly bald Peter Capaldi chasing him through time and space and becoming ever more furious as it goes on.

Could you imagine the reaction to Cabaldi though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Listening to The Four Doctors and it's nice to be back to Big Finish. Nick Briggs just loves doing those Dalek voices, it's good to hear Paul McGann doing his thing, etc. etc. Even the middling ones are fun.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I've been listening to Tales From the Vault and Mastermind, and while the gimmick was to have Daphne Ashbrook and Yee Jee Tso together again (since they can't play the TV movie characters again), these were two fun stories.

The concept is simple - two UNIT officers in charge of a small vault of alien tech, and they have to archive and safeguard it. In the first story, the two sort through a series of audio recordings from different companions, that tell a loosely connected story. It's well done, and Sato and Matheson are well fleshed out characters, serving as the hosts for these very short stories.

In the sequel, Mastermind, it turns out they have the decayed Master in the vault (adding to the confusion, this is meant to be some time after the Bruce body has decayed away, and the Master is left body hopping once more. They also name drop a reference to an obscure, out of print short story where the Master is left as an evil gas after the Bruce years). Geoffrey Beevers is as wonderfully sinister as always, and he always seems like he's relishing every single word, getting under the character's skin.

Apparently there's more with these two, but I don't have that one, but these are how you tell Doctor Who stories without the Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

OldMemes posted:

Daphne Ashbrook and Yee Jee Tso together again (since they can't play the TV movie characters again)

I love that audio (I forget which one) with Daphne Ashbrook playing some other character alongside the 8th Doctor, where the villain asks if they should say grace before their meal and the Doctor goes,"Grace? There's no grace here!" :allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

I love that audio (I forget which one) with Daphne Ashbrook playing some other character alongside the 8th Doctor, where the villain asks if they should say grace before their meal and the Doctor goes,"Grace? There's no grace here!" :allears:

The Next Life, where she's playing a character named Perfection -- the character's a dual reference to both Grace and to the Doctor's wife, Patience, because of Plot Reasons, though I suspect the connection isn't ever made explicit in order to get around copyright.

McGann
May 19, 2003

OldMemes posted:

Apparently there's more with these two, but I don't have that one, but these are how you tell Doctor Who stories without the Doctor.

The Worlds of Doctor Who set is pretty solid for this, and contains a story with those two set after the ones you've listened to. It tells about a villain's interactions with the Jago and Litefoot, the Countermeasures Team, the UNIT archive and then the Leela/Gallifrey team/ Sixth Doctor across time, in an interconnected story, and I think it went off pretty well overall.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
https://twitter.com/maxkashevsky/status/1544370381754081281

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

McGann posted:

The Worlds of Doctor Who set is pretty solid for this, and contains a story with those two set after the ones you've listened to. It tells about a villain's interactions with the Jago and Litefoot, the Countermeasures Team, the UNIT archive and then the Leela/Gallifrey team/ Sixth Doctor across time, in an interconnected story, and I think it went off pretty well overall.

I did think about grabbing that in the May sale, but I didn't get round to it in the end.

Speaking of Patience, aside from Lawrence Miles, Lance Parkin might have the most esoteric takes on the Doctor Who universe. Oh, and maybe Paul Cornell.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

For some stupid reason I decided to watch Class and did the Doctor break time in such a way to dump a series worth of alien monsters onto a high school and then just left telling a small group of them, "Whelp! Good luck!"? They didn't even get, "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Every kid who dies in this series is a direct result of the Doctor's irresponsibility.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 10, 2022

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

For some stupid reason I decided to watch Class and did the Doctor break time in such a way to dump a series worth of alien monsters onto a high school and then just left telling a small group of them, "Whelp! Good luck!"? They didn't even get, "I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry." Every kid who dies in this series is a direct result of the Doctor's irresponsibility.

Class has a couple of decent ideas -- there are two episodes, right before the finale, that demonstrate the kind of show it could be. Even the bad episodes (most of them) have a couple of great, oddball concepts. And the James Goss / Scott Handcock governed material (BBC books and BF, respectively) is often genuinely great.

I'd watch a random Class over any given Chibnall penned script any day of the week.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I swear someone on this forum had some very strong words to say about the big finish play, Scorched Earth (the one about French villagers doing vigilantism on Nazis during the close of WW2), but I've searched and not been able to find anything. Does anyone remember writing this post / where the post is?

Edit: Found it.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jul 11, 2022

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

I swear someone on this forum had some very strong words to say about the big finish play, Scorched Earth (the one about French villagers doing vigilantism on Nazis during the close of WW2), but I've searched and not been able to find anything. Does anyone remember writing this post / where the post is?

I haven't heard the audio myself but it's this post I think?:

Barry Foster posted:

love too listen to a Big Finish story which not only indulges in the myth of the clean Wehrmacht but actually has our heroes team up with Nazi POWs against a French resistance member

really cool, that

(This is Scorched Earth, by the way. I'm glad I didn't pay for this shite)

Edit: Found it.

Oh! Nevermind then! :sweatdrop:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

I haven't heard the audio myself but it's this post I think?:

Oh! Nevermind then! :sweatdrop:

Glad I didn't pick that one up.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Thanks Jerusalem. I'm scheduled to do a podcast talking about it, and I remembered Barry Foster's post (post more Barry, you big brains) and I wanted to research some more.

I'm tragically uneducated in history, despite somehow ending up doing the podcast about BF's history plays. I just listen to too much crap which somehow makes me qualified??? People have stupidly low standards.

BF has some quite good history plays IMO. I even like Chapman's other history play 'Plight Of The Pimpernell'. But Scorched Earth is a bit mealy mouthed, middle class, muddled, and moderate (liberal).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

(post more Barry, you big brains)

Ha, my brains ain't that big, trust me

I would post more but I quit watching the show after the first Chibbers season, and fell hopelessly behind on BF (and also was already getting kinda sick of how formulaic and, well, liberal they tend to be)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Ha, my brains ain't that big, trust me

I would post more but I quit watching the show after the first Chibbers season, and fell hopelessly behind on BF (and also was already getting kinda sick of how formulaic and, well, liberal they tend to be)

Can I recommend a non-shitlib release?

'The Great Sontaran War' by James Goss. Yes, I know it's Torchwood. Yes, I know that probably means it's bad. But no: It's just good. It's clever, funny, subversive, and deeply, fundamentally leftist. Highly, highly recommended.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Can I recommend a non-shitlib release?

'The Great Sontaran War' by James Goss. Yes, I know it's Torchwood. Yes, I know that probably means it's bad. But no: It's just good. It's clever, funny, subversive, and deeply, fundamentally leftist. Highly, highly recommended.

I'd second this - it's a fun little story.

I'm curious - and not staking a claim on either side -but what would be an example (besides the one being discussed) of a stereotypical 'liberal' BF story? Just trying to understand what's being referred to.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

McGann posted:

I'd second this - it's a fun little story.

I'm curious - and not staking a claim on either side -but what would be an example (besides the one being discussed) of a stereotypical 'liberal' BF story? Just trying to understand what's being referred to.

For that matter, I'm curious what a "conservative" Doctor Who TV story looks like. Assuming we disregard the incoherent crap like Kill the Moon being an anti-abortion story (and to clarify, the incoherent crap being referred to is the episode, which I'm pretty sure isn't trying to comment at all on abortion). The Dominators?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kablam! maybe? Poor the innocent big corporation.