Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

Rigel posted:

They aren't going to publicly announce that they plan to try to change the rules again if they win enough seats to make Manchin and Sinema irrelevant. There's no political reason to come right out and say that before the election.

The political reason is to show people that Democrats have a plan and convince voters to keep Democrats in power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Majin posted:

So you would prefer a figurehead POTUS that would get less done than Biden can in this environment?

She sure would screech a lot about good things that need to be accomplished but she has next to no allies in Congress willing to go as far as would need to be done. Great way to show how ineffective Progressives can be when they should continue building support instead.

This kind of does go for a lot of Progressives in general. There just isn't enough support for them and the libs + the conservatives would gang up to sabotage and would be ok to take America further down to spite them.

You'd have to get one that'd give a lot to capital/crazies.

I mean, hell, you had Joe Biden and the Dems were ok with Manchin+Sinema to sink his Presidency.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Majin posted:

So you would prefer a figurehead POTUS that would get less done than Biden can in this environment?

She sure would screech a lot about good things that need to be accomplished but she has next to no allies in Congress willing to go as far as would need to be done. Great way to show how ineffective Progressives can be when they should continue building support instead.

Barring extreme circumstances, Presidents don't mind control congress. Nothing gets done for institutional and individual reasons. AOC wouldn't be much less effective at passing legislation that Biden and Bernie or someone else who has more legislative allies or is more vocal wouldn't change the incentives for individuals or the institutional problems.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

once again, cool statistics for a good country and not one where the police will arrest your parents because you’re a boy that wore a dress

take these statistics and make your disarmament plea to the black panthers, or hell, any black community under police occupation(now and in the past),

How did that work out for them exactly? What happened to Huey, and Malcolm, and Stokely, and Assata, and Mumia, and how many of the rest of the new black Panthers...?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AOC would probably be better off as a senator. Especially because that would mean she bumped off another senior member of the NY political machine.

The president isn't that powerful of a position if Congress is dead-set at stonewalling them. As cool as President AOC would be, the conservative machine would go into overdrive to stymie her even worse than they did with Obama. Obama was basically "Bush but Black" in a lot of ways.

AOC is "A woman, young, and actually wants to push actually progressive ideas." All things the GOP hates as much if not more than "Black and eloquent"

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Majin posted:

She sure would screech a lot

gtfo here with this.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Barring extreme circumstances, Presidents don't mind control congress. Nothing gets done for institutional and individual reasons. AOC wouldn't be much less effective at passing legislation that Biden and Bernie or someone else who has more legislative allies or is more vocal wouldn't change the incentives for individuals or the institutional problems.

So no approval ratings boost is what you’re saying.

As we know from Trump, a POTUS can’t run the country on EO’s alone either.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

squibble posted:

gtfo here with this.

I’m an AOC fan, and believe she may make a good POTUS one day (if she can manage to not be eaten up and spit out by DC Politics)

She’s got a bigger coalition to build if she wants to get there tho.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

some plague rats posted:

How did that work out for them exactly? What happened to Huey, and Malcolm, and Stokely, and Assata, and Mumia, and how many of the rest of the new black Panthers...?

I don't totally agree with Automata but what is your point here? A lot of different things happened to those people and similar things happened to people who were not advocating guns and violence. King was assassinated by the government too.

squibble
Sep 30, 2003

Majin posted:

I’m an AOC fan, and believe she may make a good POTUS one day (if she can manage to not be eaten up and spit out by DC Politics)

She’s got a bigger coalition to build if she wants to get there tho.

Then say that instead of being one word shy of "she's hysterical". You know what you were doing.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rigel posted:

They aren't going to publicly announce that they plan to try to change the rules again if they win enough seats to make Manchin and Sinema irrelevant. There's no political reason to come right out and say that before the election.

as the trump voters you were sure were just going to sink back into the mud after he was defeated have painfully taught you, there is political value in publicly promising you will do things people want you to do. this is the secret to how Trump has made a fool out of both you, and every other wishcaster clinging to Joe Biden's "the fever has to break, it has to" mentality.

people are angry. people are suffering. people want change. you have seen what offering no change gets you: it's currently less popular than Trump at the peak of covid and kissing Roe vs. Wade goodbye. this despite total control over the executive and legislative branches of government. we are in the one circumstance where fighting the Supreme Court is even theoretically possible, and the Democrats have put forward the bold counterstrategy 'have Kamala babble aimlessly about how that sucks.'

what, if anything, have you learned from the last six years, about how successful this strategy can anticipate being.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

some plague rats posted:

It sucked but you don’t stop fighting because somebody fought back. If anything, it shows that militant resistance to the racist caste society we live in is the correct kind of resistance because it’s one of the few kinds the government finds threatening enough to assassinate people over.

It’s survivor bias that so many former radicals are now lotion-soft reformists, not a sign of what methods succeed and what don’t, or will be necessary or won’t.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

some plague rats posted:

You’re literally just gloating about black death now. I mean gently caress, stokley died of prostate cancer. Yes, please arm yourselves so you can too die of butt cancer than by the state.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Automata 10 Pack posted:

You’re literally just gloating about black death now. I mean gently caress, stokley died of prostate cancer. Yes, please arm yourselves so you can too die of butt cancer than by the state.

where did he die of prostate cancer? In what country? What series of events lead to him being there?

"gloating about black death", go gently caress yourself. I'm not the one advocating that minorities go out and get the feds to do an Operation MOVE on them to make myself feel tough

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

some plague rats posted:

Oh really? What happened to the literal face of non-violent resistance Martin Luther King?

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Oh really? What happened to the literal face of non-violent resistance Martin Luther King?

I was responding to someone claiming minorities arming themselves to resist the government is going to work and using as an example a group of people who did that and were variously murdered, imprisoned and COINTELPRO'd out of the country. Not to mention that calling MLK "the literal face of non-violent resistance" is buying wholesale into right-wing whitewashing

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

some plague rats posted:

I was responding to someone claiming minorities arming themselves to resist the government is going to work and using as an example a group of people who did that and were variously murdered, imprisoned and COINTELPRO'd out of the country. Not to mention that calling MLK "the literal face of non-violent resistance" is buying wholesale into right-wing whitewashing

Yes and as shown by MLK, armed or peaceful is irrelevant to what caused those men to be murdered, imprisoned, etc. They were killed for their politics, not how they expressed them.

And yes, the celebrated, endlessly referenced, face of non-violent resistance in the USA is MLK. He is evoked endlessly when anyone wants to criticize protestors for breaking property, or offending anyone. It may not be fair to the man, or the many others, who performed the work of the Civil Rights era or non violent resistance in a wider context but it would not be a mischaracterization to say that in this country, MLK Is the face of non-violent resistance.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don't totally agree with Automata but what is your point here? A lot of different things happened to those people and similar things happened to people who were not advocating guns and violence. King was assassinated by the government too.

The claim was that "Cops become way more weary to enact their authority if the community is organized and armed. Look at the black communities police occupied during the war on drugs." and then you look at said communities and they got murdered and imprisoned at higher rates than the general population who WEREN'T armed and organized. It seems wild to claim cops are "weary to enact their authority" when the people you're holding up as an example got crushed into dust by the feds?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

https://mobile.twitter.com/motherboard/status/1541456351414583297

Are these period tracker apps just surveillance apps for anti-abortion groups? I know there are plenty of “pregnancy centers” run by anti-abortion pro-adoption garbage groups

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Yes and as shown by MLK, armed or peaceful is irrelevant to what caused those men to be murdered, imprisoned, etc. They were killed for their politics, not how they expressed them.

And yes, the celebrated, endlessly referenced, face of non-violent resistance in the USA is MLK. He is evoked endlessly when anyone wants to criticize protestors for breaking property, or offending anyone. It may not be fair to the man, or the many others, who performed the work of the Civil Rights era or non violent resistance in a wider context but it would not be a mischaracterization to say that in this country, MLK Is the face of non-violent resistance.

Right, but you just listed a bunch of reasons why it sucks and it's incorrect to call him that, so why do so? "Other people are cynically misusing this guy, so I guess that's the framing we all have to use" is not a compelling argument, to me

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

some plague rats posted:

You've done nothing to connect that with guns. Those things happened to people who were not armed or preached arming minorities too.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

You've done nothing to connect that with guns. Those things happened to people who were not armed or preached arming minorities too.

Yeah, exactly. It makes no difference if you're armed or not. I was arguing with the person claiming otherwise?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

some plague rats posted:

Right, but you just listed a bunch of reasons why it sucks and it's incorrect to call him that, so why do so? "Other people are cynically misusing this guy, so I guess that's the framing we all have to use" is not a compelling argument, to me

Because it supports the idea that these men were killed for their politics not how they behaved. How they are remembered is relevant.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 28, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

some plague rats posted:

Yeah, exactly. It makes no difference if you're armed or not. I was arguing with the person claiming otherwise?

Yeah but you don't establish that either. You're just pointing at a bunch of people killed or harassed by the government and then saying that means it's pointless to be armed. You've established that oppressors hurt and kill the people they oppress but neither of you have really presented anything to actually show how guns impact those dynamics. Just the existence of deaths in conflicts isn't enough.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Is a woman who has an ectopic pregnancy really at risk now because of Roe v. Wade, or is that some hysterical fearmongering.

I legit don't know.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Cimber posted:

Is a woman who has an ectopic pregnancy really at risk now because of Roe v. Wade, or is that some hysterical fearmongering.

I legit don't know.

short answer yes, medium answer depends on the state

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

short answer yes, medium answer depends on the state

No. All the states with weird fetal protection laws require intent or neglect on the part of the mother. An ectopic pregnancy is out of her control.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

Cimber posted:

I legit don't know.

Unverified reports from TwoXChromosomes on reddit are saying that doctors are delaying treatment to consult lawyers to see if they can remove ectopic pregnancies, yes. Take that with a grain of salt, but personally I wouldn't be surprised.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cimber posted:

I legit don't know.

IANAL but my understanding is that it depends on the exact wording of states' anti-abortion laws. States that have passed abortion bans that are very restrictive or loosely worded might include ectopic pregnancies. Most states afaik have an "except to preserve the health/life of the mother" clause but who knows if state courts will decide ectopic pregnancies count or not.

My sister is currently trying to conceive and has had two ectopic pregnancies this last year, so this is an issue that hits pretty close to home.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

Unverified reports from TwoXChromosomes on reddit are saying that doctors are delaying treatment to consult lawyers to see if they can remove ectopic pregnancies, yes. Take that with a grain of salt, but personally I wouldn't be surprised.

The Hobbs ruling lets states regulate abortion however they want. It doesn't establish fetal personhood, and even if it did, a naturally occurring ectopic pregnancy isn't considered manslaughter in any state under even the strictest fetal personhood law. An ectopic pregnancy is also by definition non-viable.

Fritz the Horse posted:

IANAL but my understanding is that it depends on the exact wording of states' anti-abortion laws. States that have passed abortion bans that are very restrictive or loosely worded might include ectopic pregnancies. Most states afaik have an "except to preserve the health/life of the mother" clause but who knows if state courts will decide ectopic pregnancies count or not.

My sister is currently trying to conceive and has had two ectopic pregnancies this last year, so this is an issue that hits pretty close to home.

0 state abortion bans specifically include ectopic pregnancies.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

some plague rats posted:

The claim was that "Cops become way more weary to enact their authority if the community is organized and armed. Look at the black communities police occupied during the war on drugs." and then you look at said communities and they got murdered and imprisoned at higher rates than the general population who WEREN'T armed and organized. It seems wild to claim cops are "weary to enact their authority" when the people you're holding up as an example got crushed into dust by the feds?
yes, they had to get crushed by the federal government instead of the cops. Which is a better outcome than getting crushed by the cops.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 28, 2022

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

The Hobbs ruling lets states regulate abortion however they want. It doesn't establish fetal personhood, and even if it did, a naturally occurring ectopic pregnancy isn't considered manslaughter in any state under even the strictest fetal personhood law. An ectopic pregnancy is also by definition non-viable.

Well that's some slight reassurance, thanks. Of course I assume this will be challenged in a court case at some point.

Bishyaler
Dec 30, 2009
Megamarm

0 state abortion bans specifically include ectopic pregnancies.

But you can understand how a surgeon might be hesitant to perform a procedure that, at the very least, might land him in court to defend his work or at worst, in prison? This is the bowl of M&Ms with 1 poison M&M in it problem, because our justice system doesn't get everything right on the best of days, and now you're dealing with new laws and christo-fascist zealotry.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bishyaler posted:

But you can understand how a surgeon might be hesitant to perform a procedure that, at the very least, might land him in court to defend his work or at worst, in prison? This is the bowl of M&Ms with 1 poison M&M in it problem, because our justice system doesn't get everything right on the best of days, and now you're dealing with new laws and christo-fascist zealotry.

I can totally understand how people would be worried. But, currently, 0 states (even the strictest abortion bans) have criminalized having an ectopic pregnancy and the Hobbs decision does nothing to criminalize or even allow states to criminalize it. That's just from a factual and legal standpoint. It doesn't mean people shouldn't be worried, but that is the actual situation as it stands right now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

No. All the states with weird fetal protection laws require intent or neglect on the part of the mother. An ectopic pregnancy is out of her control.

Yes because of abortion bans doctors may be more hesitant to ask questions and women might be more hesitant to answer questions that might identify dangerous conditions like an ectopic pregnancy early to avoid collecting information in lovely states. Are you married or in a cis relationship , if you are ask your wife or parents what questions do they always ask at a gynecological visit they might not ask now.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Bishyaler posted:

Indeed, the fear is not that treating an ectopic pregnancy actually falls into one of the criminal statutes in question, it's that the doctor will run afoul of overzealous enforcement, vigilantes empowered by SB8-style laws, or accusations of administering abortions under the guise of treating ectopic pregnancy. Much like with the Don't Say Gay bill, the chilling effect spreads much wider than the actual footprint of the law in question.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I can totally understand how people would be worried. But, currently, 0 states (even the strictest abortion bans) have criminalized having an ectopic pregnancy and the Hobbs decision does nothing to criminalize or even allow states to criminalize it. That's just from a factual and legal standpoint. It doesn't mean people shouldn't be worried, but that is the actual situation as it stands right now.

The social effects yer ignoring the social effects.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Bar Ran Dun posted:

The social effects yer ignoring the social effects.

I know the social effects. The original question was whether having an ectopic pregnancy would put a pregnant woman in legal jeopardy now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bellmaker posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/motherboard/status/1541456351414583297

Are these period tracker apps just surveillance apps for anti-abortion groups? I know there are plenty of “pregnancy centers” run by anti-abortion pro-adoption garbage groups

Probably not. They are simply futureproofing themselves for all the Texas-style “prosecute women for not giving birth” laws that are coming in short order because they know which way the wind is blowing. This is a foghorn to women in states where abortion is now illegal to dump the app ASAP before this poo poo starts happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

I know the social effects. The original question was whether having an ectopic pregnancy would put you in legal jeopardy now.

The original question is would she be "at risk" - and yes, she is at greater risk because treatment is being delayed. Right now, that's happening. She is at increased risk of complications and death.