Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Ashley would have control over her hair, like, using it as a prehensile limb and poo poo if she was a supe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

My Strange Addiction, but it's people eating Ashley's hair.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
She turns into medusa.

Or each strand shoots lasers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Mr Interweb posted:

right, but that's the point that the tiktok guy was making, which Wheeeee was arguing against

Right-wingers love The Boys because it's full of cool violence and jokes and satirizes woke liberalism and soyboy millennials, they love Homelander because he's wearing an American flag, tells it like it is, and is funny when he triggers the libs. That Homelander is actually weak, a pathetic weeping little manchild with deep insecurities and a powerful mommy fetish, has previously gone over their heads because right-wingers tend to be functionally illiterate. No sincere fascist protagonist would be portrayed anything like Homelander, he is explicitly shown to be a fraud, a psychologically broken creature who believes in nothing.

Someone mentioned Man In The High Castle and that show is a much better fit to the idea of media that hews close to genuinely portraying fascist ideals, John Smith is a more dangerous character than Homelander.

SirSamVimes posted:

is this a bit

Michael Ironside, who read the novel as a youth, said that he asked Verhoeven, who grew up in the German-occupied Netherlands, "Why are you doing a right-wing fascist movie?" Verhoeven replied, "If I tell the world that a right-wing, fascist way of doing things doesn't work, no one will listen to me. So I'm going to make a perfect fascist world: everyone is beautiful, everything is shiny, everything has big guns and fancy ships but it's only good for killing loving Bugs!"

Starship Troopers is played completely straight, the movie never questions the legitimacy of its premise or challenges the ideology of the Federation outside of a brief talk show clip of a loony lefty suggesting that humanity may have provoked the war before being dunked on by the other guests. Self-awareness doesn't exist in any of its characters, they are all perfect human machines, and it is bizarrely sexless despite having multiple romantic subplots, a naked coed shower, and a sex scene. Kitschy glossiness, vacuously beautiful sexless leads, childlike simplicity and subordination to authority, sincere true believer leaders, that's all authentic fascist poo poo. Of course the movie is absurd to most of us watching it with outside context, that the terrible leads were literally taken from soap operas and 90210 and that it has the popular child star of Doogie Howser MD running around in a Nazi SS uniform is loving hilarious, Starship Troopers is a very funny movie despite not being a comedy. It's also absurd because fascism is just absurd and stupid on its face once you see it laid out.

Fascism is a Thomas Kincaide painting.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I've been doing a rewatch of the show from the beginning to get a friend caught up over the last few weeks, and it's fun to see the callbacks and foreshadowing from both directions. A-Train's arc in particular is especially great---go rewatch his "apology" to Hughie in S1 and compare it to this last episode.

Kimiko's fight scene this last episode is also one of the best gritty, visceral ones I've seen in quite a while, right up there with The Raid et al. They *might* be showing her getting her powers back, but the point of the scene was to drive home her point that the brutality is really just her and not the V, IMO.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hughie being unsatisfied with A-Train's finally sincere apology was a good Hughie moment, caught him off guard and wasn't what he was really hoping to hear.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

No Dignity posted:

Someone also should have given him the nerd logic case though

Seriously man what the hell did you expect to do to the second stronger supe ever to exist with pistol rounds?

I mean SB carries a shield which implies to me at least that he's not bulletproof like Homelander or (juiced-up) Butcher are. So shooting at him doesn't seem ludicrous like it does for those two.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Khanstant posted:

Hughie being unsatisfied with A-Train's finally sincere apology was a good Hughie moment, caught him off guard and wasn't what he was really hoping to hear.

Not merely hoping - it's not what he wanted to hear. In his mind, he was already wailing on A-Train. Like Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction going, "It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it," this was Hughie hoping A-Train would key his car just so he could catch him keying his car.

TwoPair posted:

I mean SB carries a shield which implies to me at least that he's not bulletproof like Homelander or (juiced-up) Butcher are. So shooting at him doesn't seem ludicrous like it does for those two.

My man, MM saw the video of Russians unloading an automatic rifle into SB's mouth. How much more proof of bullets does one need to be?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 28, 2022

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Habibi posted:

Not merely hoping - it's not what he wanted to hear. In his mind, he was already wailing on A-Train. Like Vincent Vega in Pulp Fiction going, "It'd been worth him doing it just so I could've caught him doing it," this was Hughie hoping A-Train would key his car just so he could catch him keying his car.

My man, MM saw the video of Russians unloading an automatic rifle into SB's mouth. How much more proof of bullets does one need to be?

do u think he swallowed and passed the bullets or spat them out?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

bobjr posted:

Depowered Homelander is found by MM’s ex’s new husband, who does everything to keep him hidden and recovering.

I thought about that, like, if he's on the run (I like Vought puppet idea too) that necessitates a whole cast of people harbouring Homelander, but we have one character we've already met who could slip in there...

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Habibi posted:

maybe only his mouth is bulletproof did you think of that fucker

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Tactical Soyfacing

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
Someone earlier said it would be fun if Homelander was depowered and had to blend in, in some unrecognizable way, and I think if that's the case he should put on some thick glasses, dye his hair black and walk with bad posture. That oughta do it.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Spare Black Noir suit

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

To be honest I never recognize Anthony Starr when he’s out of that costume so I think it would work.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
He's also got the Australian accent down

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Owlbear Camus posted:

do u think he swallowed and passed the bullets or spat them out?

Guess we'll have to wait for part 2.

tokin opposition posted:

maybe only his mouth is bulletproof did you think of that fucker

Nope. But "bulletproof mouth" would be an awesome random superpower.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Habibi posted:

lol I had honestly forgotten, now I feel foolish. I honestly forgot most of the video except for "killed some guys in one experiment, got a chest beam".

Huh, I wonder what the shield's for then? I mean my first thought is propaganda like most things Vought* but SB actually went into wars and it feels like it'd be much more convenient for a bulletproof man to have both hands free instead of carrying a pointless shield.

*I mean I know the meta-reason is to make the Captain America parallel more explicit, but Captain America is notably not bulletproof so the shield makes practical sense.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Kimikowns

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

BlackIronHeart posted:

Ashley would have control over her hair, like, using it as a prehensile limb and poo poo if she was a supe.

"What if Love Sausage but worse"?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TwoPair posted:

lol I had honestly forgotten, now I feel foolish. I honestly forgot most of the video except for "killed some guys in one experiment, got a chest beam".

Huh, I wonder what the shield's for then? I mean my first thought is propaganda like most things Vought* but SB actually went into wars and it feels like it'd be much more convenient for a bulletproof man to have both hands free instead of carrying a pointless shield.

*I mean I know the meta-reason is to make the Captain America parallel more explicit, but Captain America is notably not bulletproof so the shield makes practical sense.

It seems that getting shot is painful to him, so he might use the shield because it protects him from getting shot in the balls while also being a pretty useful club to crush skulls.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Maybe it was for shielding non supes or non supe soldiers when he fought in ww2

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Is it bad I want a spinoff show about Soldier Boy's ww2 campaign? I want more of him.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

the shield is for railing coke off of, op

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

Is it bad I want a spinoff show about Soldier Boy's ww2 campaign? I want more of him.

WWII is boring, spinoff about soldier boy hanging out with ex-nazis doing gladio poo poo in europe

If its going to be anything like how they portrayed the contra's i would love to watch how the show would portray all the stuff that went on post WWII in europe.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 28, 2022

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

It seems that getting shot is painful to him, so he might use the shield because it protects him from getting shot in the balls while also being a pretty useful club to crush skulls.

tokin opposition posted:

Maybe it was for shielding non supes or non supe soldiers when he fought in ww2

Owlbear Camus posted:

the shield is for railing coke off of, op

all 3 are equally valid and probably correct, thank you

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

The shield could just be a helpful melee weapon / defensive measure when going up against tanks and poo poo. Like, yeah he could take a shell in the face, but does he want to? Probably not. It seems extra dense / heavy / sturdy, so maybe it also made punching through a tank easier.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

BlackIronHeart posted:

Kabuki Quantum CEO.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

He's said this about other things before.

He's one of those "I thought about doing this!" type of guys once he see's something popular.

In short I take what he says with a grain of salt.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The first thing that popped into my head when that episode ended was "If starlight had helped, Homelander might have died right there."

If Starlight had been there, the writers would have written a dumb scene about Hughie loving it up for everyone by playing the hero.

Oh wait, that's what they did.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Last Call posted:

He's said this about other things before.

He's one of those "I thought about doing this!" type of guys once he see's something popular.

In short I take what he says with a grain of salt.

He also made Snatcher, which is deeply deeply in yikes territory.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Snatcher would be Hughie's supe name, teleporting in to grab people then teleporting them to both safety and nudity somewhere else.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

i don't want kojima the boys but I am absolutely loving desperate for starr playing a kojima villain

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

TIP posted:

"I'm Homelander's twin brother Freelander. He told me everything about you so I feel like I already know you boys and we won't have that awkward getting-to-know-you stage. If I could just ask you one favor, if it wouldn't be too uncomfortable, I was hoping maybe you would call me Homelander, in honor of him."

flmo

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Bill Cosby, now that was a real man. He could mix a STRONG drink!

Necroquoting to ask if this is meant to imply that the Cos' was trying to knock out Solder Boy for some after hours shenanigans but he metabolized it as just being a heavy pour? Very slight :lol: if so.

Habibi posted:

The shield could just be a helpful melee weapon / defensive measure when going up against tanks and poo poo. Like, yeah he could take a shell in the face, but does he want to? Probably not. It seems extra dense / heavy / sturdy, so maybe it also made punching through a tank easier.

I think it's this. Hughie couldn't even budge the thing like it was Thor's Hammer, so SBoy swinging it around would be like a wrecking ball.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Yea, I mean Captain America wrecks people with a 28 pound frisbee. That thing has to be pretty much an instant kill if soldier boy flung it at you.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

btw, i'm totally on board the idea of a depowered homelander. not just cause it's what i want but i mean, that HAS to happen at some point right? otherwise why even introduce SB's depowering ray?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Open Source Idiom posted:

He also made Snatcher, which is deeply deeply in yikes territory.

It's a great game at all times it is not engaging in pedophilia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

tokin opposition posted:

It's a great game at all times it is not engaging in pedophilia

yikes

I've heard so many nerds evangelize that game but never heard that particular thing about it