Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

enki42 posted:

I can't say I really get the whole need to come out with how horrible abortions are. Surgery to remove a tumor is probably not a fun experience and absolutely people would probably rather not have cancer in the first place, but people don't trip all over themselves to say "well ideally we'd never have cancer surgeries, I hate them so much, but people should have the right to them."

On the other hand, I don't really give a poo poo about people's individual opinion on abortions so long as they support people's right to them.

There are lots of ways to be pro-choice. You can believe that a blastocyst+ is not a person, in the same way an acorn is not a tree, and so an abortion is on par with a haircut.

You could also believe that it is or might be a person, but that being a person doesn't give them the right to the use of a separate person's body, even if they will die without it. The host has an absolute right to evict other persons from their body. The immediate, long term, and permanent effects of pregnancy on the host's body are pretty awful and require consent. The host has the right to withdraw consent at any time, at which point the unwanted inhabitant has to leave. You don't have to debate the personhood of a fetus to come to the conclusion that it is unequivocally wrong for the government to force you to use your organs to benefit a fetus.

If you believe this you would probably want to support things that reduce unwanted pregnancy. Like comprehensive sex education, easy access to contraceptives, pre-natal support, and universal health care. To go back to your analogy you aren't trying to prevent cancer surgery, you're trying to prevent getting cancer in the first place.

In Canada the law is that you aren't a person until birth, so there is no conflict of rights between a fetus and a host.
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-223.html

quote:

When child becomes human being

223 (1) A child becomes a human being within the meaning of this Act when it has completely proceeded, in a living state, from the body of its mother, whether or not

(a) it has breathed;

(b) it has an independent circulation; or

(c) the navel string is severed.

Marginal note:Killing child

(2) A person commits homicide when he causes injury to a child before or during its birth as a result of which the child dies after becoming a human being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well I believe a blastocyst+ is a special edition Pokemon and nothing you say will change my mind.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

eXXon posted:

Well I believe a blastocyst+ is a special edition Pokemon and nothing you say will change my mind.

:hai:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

~snip~
You could also believe that it is or might be a person, but that being a person doesn't give them the right to the use of a separate person's body, even if they will die without it. The host has an absolute right to evict other persons from their body. The immediate, long term, and permanent effects of pregnancy on the host's body are pretty awful and require consent. The host has the right to withdraw consent at any time, at which point the unwanted inhabitant has to leave. You don't have to debate the personhood of a fetus to come to the conclusion that it is unequivocally wrong for the government to force you to use your organs to benefit a fetus.
~snip~
Thank you for spelling that out. I had not previously been privy to, nor had I synthesized this perspective.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

i'm evicting this thread from my body and all of you with it

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
What a michael

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.cbc.ca/news/investigates/libraries-threats-all-age-drag-1.6501247

Chuds getting increasingly confident and belligerent.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

A true Michael would never evict anything from his body

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

when the cops are on your side it’s not really that surprising. that’s the real story there. the police doing nothing

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

open the comment section cbc cowards! show us canada's mawing id

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
actually, don't.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Noblesse Obliged posted:

when the cops are on your side it’s not really that surprising. that’s the real story there. the police doing nothing

yup and it's just sad to see the article with poo poo like "they sent 40 pages of screenshots to police"

why?? they know what they typed???

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

quote:

A police investigation did not treat the incident as a hate crime and no charges were laid but a restraining order was issued against one person, the spokesperson said

Cool, cool, why do all of our potential elected officials keep bending the knee for these wastes of space/money?

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Because they're not affected by any of it.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Randalor posted:

Cool, cool, why do all of our potential elected officials keep bending the knee for these wastes of space/money?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Roman_emperors_murdered_by_the_Praetorian_Guard

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm pro-choice, but I still think "not having an abortion" is the wrong choice

Also I think abortions should be legal until two years after birth, just in case the kid's a dick or something

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Danaru posted:

Also I think abortions should be legal until two years after birth, just in case the kid's a dick or something

You could simply not name them Richard.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Danaru posted:

Remove term limits so the kind of people who harass children at libraries can be aborted.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Danaru posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwPlREhpnbM

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

There was a post a while back in the 'doomday economics' thread where somebody copied/pasted some posts by people who had shared their sentiment about how things are going right now economically, and sure enough somebody submitted a post about a time they were a tourist in Vancouver and just how horrific Second Beach had become, absolutely full of homeless people, without nice logs to sit on, and how the city is getting much much worse.

This was second beach earlier in the week:

Homelessness in Vancouver is a big issue obv but if you believed the internet, its primary victims are tourists who get permanent PTSD because they saw the guy who would sleep naked outside the Circle K on Davie (rip), and not the thousands of homeless people. Anyway, I walked around the seawall earlier this week and it was nice :)

having grown up in Van, last year during Pride i visited English Bay for the first time in ages and was shocked by

a) how warm the weather and water was
b) how packed the beach was with people of every background and color, having a good time and watching the gorgeous sunset

it felt like a beach in the Mediterranean or something. so ya I could see boomer nimby types who grew up in a cold and white vancouver getting apoplectic about the fall of western civilization

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/CanadianPolling/status/1541590348430016512

I'm all the lib voters eager to vote for a different Laurentian elite

megahtz
Jun 24, 2020

by Hand Knit

RealityWarCriminal posted:

that's a big change for the green party so I guess you're right

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Jagmeet is the most liked leader, at -1% net favorability. That's Jagmeetmentum. Trudeau is -21 and Mad Max is -44.

Its that time
Nov 8, 2011
I'm a HS teacher and we had a live shooter drill conducted by police at some point in June in the pre covid world.

Being unionized, I just told my colleague we should make our stand wherever the AC is and barricade the door so they waste more time coming through, making the drill last longer so we could work less.

Police still got it, but a piano and a shelf loaded with files did slow them down. I get paid anyway.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
God's work

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Its that time posted:

I'm a HS teacher and we had a live shooter drill conducted by police at some point in June in the pre covid world.

Being unionized, I just told my colleague we should make our stand wherever the AC is and barricade the door so they waste more time coming through, making the drill last longer so we could work less.

Police still got it, but a piano and a shelf loaded with files did slow them down. I get paid anyway.

praxis

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Also known as a liberal

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB

evilpicard posted:

Also known as a liberal

gottem

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I still hate Charest so loving much.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/genocide-hate-crime-video-youtube-dundas-square-1.6503886

i am really concerned about all this ominous weather lately :/

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/freedom-convoy-tamara-lich-arrested-1.6503718

Lol

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Influencer/insurrectionist

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/TheBeaverton/status/1541795130964951041?t=WB-bgQxCHBB-2aG6VQfhjg&s=19

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Isn't that an old article?

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟
https://twitter.com/David_Moscrop/status/1541556092441960448?t=NruNifypK5-haUndZ5Cr7Q&s=19

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

flashy_mcflash posted:

You might be thinking of the vice article about which provinces were most easily offended. Alberta came in last and then Albertans got offended.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

flashy_mcflash posted:

yep

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

after failing to implement PR, BC Premier John Horgo announced he would not be seeking reelection in 2024. it's a low bar and he hosed up a lot, but he was probably the best premier I've lived under.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

after failing to implement PR, BC Premier John Horgo announced he would not be seeking reelection in 2024. it's a low bar and he hosed up a lot, but he was probably the best premier I've lived under.

Maybe it's time to move out of his basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

I wonder what this is about.