Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

LOL!!!

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Same thing goes for the dairy product of the same name. It’s all over the place and will take some uprooting across a variety of cultures.

I learned the slur meaning of the word before I learned any of the other ones so it has been super weird for me seeing all of the other stuff that uses it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Same thing goes for the dairy product of the same name. It’s all over the place and will take some uprooting across a variety of cultures.

That one comes from a different origin and doesn't mean the same thing, it's just an unfortunate coincidence.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

I learned the slur meaning of the word before I learned any of the other ones so it has been super weird for me seeing all of the other stuff that uses it.

I saw them in a Korean grocery store and was like "huh I wonder what those are for" (thai curries, mostly) and it turns out I'm doing a hate crime in South Africa by shopping there. What a world.

winnydpu
May 3, 2007
Sugartime Jones

OwlFancier posted:

Then I started spending time in South Africa. At first I assumed the word was kinda like "gringo", and referred to white folks. It is capital N letter bad, except that black folks can't use it either- it never went through that ownership phase that African-Americans went through with the American slur in the sixties. There are plants like the "Monkey Orange" that used to be named differently...

FWIW the grandfather of a black friend of mine thought it was hysterical that I only knew Brazil nuts by the name "Brazil nuts".

Edit: not same, opposite. Learned the Arabic meaning first.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

That one comes from a different origin and doesn't mean the same thing, it's just an unfortunate coincidence.

Well I'll be damned. I could swear I looked it up in the milk context a few years ago and found the name was being gently phased out and that it was from the same origin, but now I look like a dang fool.

But anyway ^^ I read The Power of One and The Covenant a long time ago and it sure stuck with me from there

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

(incel poo poo about open relationships)
Yeah, that tracks

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

white dude speaking english in the office studying old norse? im calling fbi.gob/tips

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Baron von Eevl posted:

Boomers all boiled or microwave steamed vegetables, but they all grew up eating slimy canned vegetables so to their palates it was still a major improvement. Before that people were basically getting what they could fresh when it was in season and if they were able. Developments in shipping and food production have given us fresh food in greater variety and at lower cost than any time in human history.

There had to be a period when people who had known the world before industrial canned vegetables started buying canned vegetables, realized they were poo poo, but kept doing it anyway. I'm not going to look it up, but I bet it was around the same time as stuff like corn flakes were invented. When advertisements were all about telling you how "digestible" and "pure" their products were. If it's bland as hell you know it's not adulterated. There's nothing in your sad can of peas and carrots but peas and carrots, and it's so digestible you don't even need teeth to chew 'em.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, it's safe to assume any amazon subsidiary is going to be full of racism, and that goes double for anything as bougie as whole foods

I work for them and was honestly really surprised how not true this is (by and large, of course individual stores or people can be poo poo).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Used to be a time nerds weren't such massive pissbabies about how their veg was cooked.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Goons too good for Veg-All.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Facebook Aunt posted:

There had to be a period when people who had known the world before industrial canned vegetables started buying canned vegetables, realized they were poo poo, but kept doing it anyway. I'm not going to look it up, but I bet it was around the same time as stuff like corn flakes were invented. When advertisements were all about telling you how "digestible" and "pure" their products were. If it's bland as hell you know it's not adulterated. There's nothing in your sad can of peas and carrots but peas and carrots, and it's so digestible you don't even need teeth to chew 'em.

There was a time when getting enough food to enough people was a legitimate genuine problem that required a massive technological solution in shelf stability

A lot of people got used to what they had to deal with then and passed on those habits to their kids

It wasn't really a conspiracy or anything, just a reaction to the conditions that existed

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

The Anime Liker posted:

Incels hate open relationships because

- the woman can gently caress 2 guys (gasp, that whore)
- the woman can gently caress a girl (gasp, that's gay)
- the man can gently caress a guy (gasp, that's gay)
- the man can gently caress 2 women (so unfair)
- the 3 women can gently caress 8 guys who are loving 9 guys (gasp, that's too much math)

Basically any and all combinations of poly sex is an affront to the precious little feelings of dudes with terminal drydick

They view open relationships as women attempting to normalize an open version of the incel "betabux, chad fucks" paradigm.

This is stupid, because amongst straights at least, poly is usually just two people blowing up a dead relationship in the same way you use dynamite to get rid of a whale corpse. Just a super exciting way to dramatically get rid of rotting obstruction.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, definitely. And when you consider what early industrialized food was like, The Jungle and all that poo poo, I can kinda get it. There was this tie in to the new age movement too, you nailed it on the head when you said that the obsession was with things being "pure."

Cable Guy
Jul 18, 2005

I don't expect any trouble, but we'll be handing these out later...

Slippery Tilde

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

snergle posted:

white dude speaking english in the office studying old norse? im calling fbi.gob/tips

:thejoke:

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

One More Fat Nerd posted:

They view open relationships as women attempting to normalize an open version of the incel "betabux, chad fucks" paradigm.

This is stupid, because amongst straights at least, poly is usually just two people blowing up a dead relationship in the same way you use dynamite to get rid of a whale corpse. Just a super exciting way to dramatically get rid of rotting obstruction.

that's a hell of a final sentence

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Stop posting not-memes omg

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nvrgrls posted:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Definitely the most wholesome use of the term "Knotty Dog" I've ever seen

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Prof. Spaceman posted:

Definitely the most wholesome use of the term "Knotty Dog" I've ever seen

Wilbur does knot approve.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Wilbur does knot approve.

There is no such thing as a champion chihuahua unless we're talking about chihuahuas of old ancient aztec ankle biting times.

The only dog dumber than a modern chihuahua is a golden retriever and at least they're dumb cute.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Large Testicles posted:

The only dog dumber than a modern chihuahua is a golden retriever and at least they're dumb cute.

Pugs may be a contender for that

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Guillermus posted:

Pugs may be a contender for that

The end product of generations of breeding to produce a dog capable of crushing its own brain with its own eyes

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Large Testicles posted:

clams is rocks with food inside
As opposed to vertebrates which are food with rocks inside.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Large Testicles posted:

There is no such thing as a champion chihuahua unless we're talking about chihuahuas of old ancient aztec ankle biting times.

Naah Goldens are plenty smart. They'd be unsuitable working dogs if not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dog

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

snergle posted:

let them do their own recruitment

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

canyoneer posted:

Naah Goldens are plenty smart. They'd be unsuitable working dogs if not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Intelligence_of_Dog

It takes a lot of brainpower to be as dumb as a golden. A bulldog might sit happily for a couple of hours watching a wall, in which time a golden will have located a Venetian blind and gotten completely tangled in it.

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

Canning was a major development in both food preservation and transportation that increased the quality and variety of food a lot of people had access too. Having a wide variety of fresh produce at your fingertips is a pretty modern thing for people who aren't Dukes or Sultans or whatever.

I'm sure there were people who noted that canned asparagus weren't as good as fresh, but then fresh asparagus was a few weeks a year kind of thing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

nvrgrls posted:

Feel free to post memes then

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

do not post "memes"

e: sorry got them mixed up with "limes"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass