Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Flesnolk posted:

We're on the last house, that incentive is definitely getting missed

Approved for extra map :science:

STREEEEEEEEEEETCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Oh, that is really cool.

I did not understand more than maybe thirty seconds of this run but it was cool to watch.

e: yeah I agree that maybe having somebody who wasn't playing to do the commentary might have helped to explain what in the world is going on

basicall you have to find ghost then gather evidence on ghost then deduce what it is and as this is going on you're basically on a timer where the ghost can and will start loving with you and then kill you

also they were stupidly lucky on the first map whjich didnt help with explanations, EMF5 as evidence is entirely RNG based and the fact that they got it in like 10 seconds is insanely good at narrowing down ghosts

like you can go an entire match without getting EMF5 for evidence even if the ghost is supposed to generate it because the game rolls a % to even let the 5 reading be seen

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Glad they’re doing this map to show a more true phasmo experience

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
The stalling is pretty blatant :V

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Definitely not hitting that incentive lol

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

20k in 15 minutes is very doable on like the last day of the marathon but this is lookin pretty bleak

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

So how does not meeting an incentive affect the schedule since the time for the bonus game run is built into the schedule? Do they just sit there for like an hour?

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

AHH F/UGH posted:

Definitely not hitting that incentive lol

ez

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yetee and fangamer will dump in more money if needed

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Rosalind posted:

So how does not meeting an incentive affect the schedule since the time for the bonus game run is built into the schedule? Do they just sit there for like an hour?

I like to imagine they run it but just don't stream it, and the commentator just makes us feel guilty for not getting to watch it. I'm sure that's not what happens, though.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Rosalind posted:

Everyone sits for an hour in silence and looks around the room to contemplate why they are bad people

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Rosalind posted:

Get ready for a visit from Mr. Philip Thyme

Chainclaw posted:

I like to imagine they run it but just don't stream it, and the commentator just makes us feel guilty for not getting to watch it. I'm sure that's not what happens, though.

oh they should do this though

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
"We'll be back after a quick break!"

Two hours later --

"Thank you so much for getting that incentive met in the nick of time, Twitch chat! You're so cute!"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

if aneternalenigma is in the room already, they could just swap the FNAF and SH4 runs on the schedule

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oops we read the numbers upside down, we only need 60k and we already went past that amount how silly :imunfunny:

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

The 7th Guest posted:

yetee and fangamer will dump in more money if needed

100%. Waiting lets them motivate more regulars people to donate, it's smart. They'll even stretch and shill on the break and then drop if they need to :P

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

did they just flip the incentive, Silent Hill is now up next lolol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

called shot!!!!! what's up

Mal-3
Oct 21, 2008

Photex posted:

did they just flip the incentive, Silent Hill is now up next lolol

GDQ has many secret techs for stalling for time.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Ravus posted:

100%. Waiting lets them motivate more regulars people to donate, it's smart. They'll even stretch and shill on the break and then drop if they need to :P

They did this for Deltarune in winter

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I just wanted to watch silent hill live, i'm okay with FNAF now and hope it makes it (while i'm sleeping)

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Perhaps they shouldn't keep making these incentives so high each year

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

You all just read the schedule wrong sillies.

Also yes endlessly making every incentive feel so much more expensive every year is starting to feel lovely. We don't have to 'break the record' every year.

Ask capitalism how sustainable infinite growth is. Just be happy raising 2 million a year and knock it off.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
also FNAF can't be that interetsting

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Grondoth posted:

probably not but more games means more gdq so i hope it gets met

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Agent355 posted:

Ask capitalism how sustainable infinite growth is. Just be happy raising 2 million a year and knock it off.

Since it's going to lifesaving charity instead of Mike Uyama's 17th yacht or 3rd Met Gala ticket, I'm a lot more sympathetic. It does start to border on hubris though

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I hope they spend time in the FNAF run talking about how the developer of FNAF is basically the opposite of everything Doctors Without Borders and GDQ stand for.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
anyway for Phasmo in case anyone is interested and wants to play it (its a banger with friends if you try not to take it super seriously)

like the evidence types are

diagnosing room:
freezing temperatures - kind of obvious, ghost rooms are colder than other rooms, but you get a thermometer you can use for exact measurements, but you can see freezing breath even without for evidence
spirit box - ghost will respond to you if you ask it questions
fingerprints - ghosts get real touchy with stuff and will play with doors and objects in the room they're hiding out in, if it touches some surfaces (doors, mirror, light switches) it will leave behind fingerprints if its
EMF- one of the easier ways to figure out where the ghost is, but by far the most finicky to actual evidence of EMF5, but whenever a ghost does something it'll generate an EMF reading. if the ghost can generate EMF5 the game rolls a % to show a 5, otherwise it just shows EMF4 like any other ghost
ghost orbs - on the cameras you may see little orbs floating around in the ghost room, but only in the viewfinder or on the PC back in the truck

narrowing it down:
ghost writing - you can put a book down and the ghost will write in it
DOTS - this is the green matrix stuff that shows up, but ghosts that can leave a DOTS impression will create a model in the field when they do an action

each player has a sanity gauge which goes down constantly as the player is in the dark exploring the area. you can turn lights on to minimize the loss or take pills to restore some, but lights require power and there's only 4 bottles of pills to split

as sanity goes down, the ghost can become more active and start hunting players, at which point you need to try to evade or hide until the hunt ends (either by waiting out a timer or when someone dies)

each type of the ghost have various different quirks that if you pay attention to the behavior that will let you figure out what something is in, like for example poltergeists like to throw lots of stuff. onis get agitated when more people are near them, mares like the dark and will stymie players who try to use lights, demons can hunt at higher sanity levels than anything else. some of the riskier behaviors are ones that can only be seen during hunts, like revenants who move very slowly while looking for someone, but gain a significant speed boost when they find someone and have line of sight.,. one of the newer ones I think the deogen actually knows where all players are at all time and will move towards one but it will basically do it at a glacial pace letting someone loop and evade it if they realize

after you die you can actually watch the ghost manifest and then watch them hunt everyone else while you loot a house, throw beer at them, repeatedly bounce a ball in their face or just sit around and play cornhole

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

probably not but more games means more gdq so i hope it gets met

Never be enough GDQ.

Changing the schedule to make sure it gets met is hilarious though. Always more special tactics :p

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
For anyone not knowing what was going on: in Phasmo, you load into a house that has a random ghost type that is tethered to a random room (although it can sometimes wander a bit before rubber banding back to the room, and on high difficulties the room can sometimes shift). So the first order of business is to find the ghost room. This can be done in a few different ways. It can knock over stuff in the room, tap on windows, open doors, etc., and you can also bring in evidence-finding items and walk around the room until something is triggered. Each map also has a random cursed object, like the Ouija board they used, that can sometimes be used to find the ghost room.

Once you find the room, you need to determine what kind of ghost it is using evidence. Except for the Mimic, each ghost has unique combination of three different types of evidence. After you get some experience, you can also infer the ghost type based on their behavior, like wraiths not leaving footprints after they walk through salt. The game uses voice recognition for specific questions you can ask the ghost, or saying its actual name to antagonize it. I'm pretty sure there used to be a dev troll where saying you were scared out loud was likely to trigger a hunt. Being in a dark room and different ghost interactions will lower your sanity over time, and low sanity causes ghosts to actively hunt. You basically have no defense from the ghost at this point and need to run and hide until the hunt is over. Different ghost types need to be avoided differently, but that's a whole thing I don't feel like typing. There are also RNG side objectives to complete each round, these can include taking a photo of the ghost, escaping a hunt after the ghost sees you, or getting a reading on a less commonly used item like a motion sensor.

It's a super good game and everyone should try it. It also works great in VR!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The constantly increasing pressure for more demanding incentives is probably my least favorite thing about GDQ

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

I also am a big fan of covert muffin.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

man, really not anything i am looking forward to after silent hill 4 until mario odyssey tomorrow night. but boy i am super looking forward to mario odyssey, that is a goddamn awesome speedgame.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grondoth posted:

security breach is a special kind of stupid because it's a first person 3D game of running around in a badly designed mall, rather than just rotating a pre-rendered still-screen around. the more budget the series gets the less spooky it gets. it's in that wheelhouse of games designed for markiplier to scream at fakely

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

The constantly increasing pressure for more demanding incentives is probably my least favorite thing about GDQ

I'm getting less and less patient with it as time goes on. It used to not bother me much but it seems like every big incentive has to be this HUGE PUSH now.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Agree.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

security breach is a special kind of stupid because it's a first person 3D game of running around in a badly designed mall, rather than just rotating a pre-rendered still-screen around. the more budget the series gets the less spooky it gets. it's in that wheelhouse of games designed for markiplier to scream at fakely

okay hold on, it's a lovely 3D game? That might be pretty drat funny

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

those are some really short shorts.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

I'm glad the preteens have their own form of entertainment but holy poo poo is the 'so scary guiz, let's stream me fake screaming at jump scares' twitch-bait games are miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Professor Wayne posted:

For anyone not knowing what was going on: in Phasmo, you load into a house that has a random ghost type that is tethered to a random room (although it can sometimes wander a bit before rubber banding back to the room, and on high difficulties the room can sometimes shift). So the first order of business is to find the ghost room. This can be done in a few different ways. It can knock over stuff in the room, tap on windows, open doors, etc., and you can also bring in evidence-finding items and walk around the room until something is triggered. Each map also has a random cursed object, like the Ouija board they used, that can sometimes be used to find the ghost room.

Once you find the room, you need to determine what kind of ghost it is using evidence. Except for the Mimic, each ghost has unique combination of three different types of evidence. After you get some experience, you can also infer the ghost type based on their behavior, like wraiths not leaving footprints after they walk through salt. The game uses voice recognition for specific questions you can ask the ghost, or saying its actual name to antagonize it. I'm pretty sure there used to be a dev troll where saying you were scared out loud was likely to trigger a hunt. Being in a dark room and different ghost interactions will lower your sanity over time, and low sanity causes ghosts to actively hunt. You basically have no defense from the ghost at this point and need to run and hide until the hunt is over. Different ghost types need to be avoided differently, but that's a whole thing I don't feel like typing. There are also RNG side objectives to complete each round, these can include taking a photo of the ghost, escaping a hunt after the ghost sees you, or getting a reading on a less commonly used item like a motion sensor.

It's a super good game and everyone should try it. It also works great in VR!

technically the mimic has an actual 3 piece evidence set it just generates a 4th fake piece of evidence in ghost orbs which you need because gently caress mimics on nightmare the hardest difficulty is nightmare which breaks your ability to track player sanity directly and ghost activity levels, as well as forcing ghosts to generate only 2 of their 3 pieces of evidence, so mimics generating 3 means its now their insta tell, since their actual gimmick doesnt work on nightmare (they can emulate other ghost types randomly so you need to recognize possible difference in behavior vs reported evidence on lower difficulties)