Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

i am a moron posted:

Sounds like maybe you’re thinking too much instead of swinging away

This happens to me almost every time on the range. Once I'm on the course I blank my mind out and do fine, but range sessions are always a nightmare of shanks, tops, and thins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Help my friend's horrible lefty golf swing. I don't know what tell him besides get lessons. Maybe a tip or two?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjH370XKJAY

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Disclaimer: any swing tips I provide are literally whatever I've been working on myself lately

Maybe your friend could try to keep his weight on the inside of his back foot in the backswing instead of kinda of rolling it to the outside (hard to tell, but looks like the outside of his left foot digs into the ground and his knee kinda bows out). I always recommend the "foot together" swing drill because it helps a lot with balance and tempo, and you can make a few practice swings with it on the course in the middle of a round to sort of reset. If I end up shanking or topping a shot, I try and do foot-together practice swings until I'm making consistent sweeping contact with the ground.

But yeah definitely get him into a lesson because it's really easy to assemble a horrible but "working" swing from a bunch of tips vs just getting a lesson and doing it right

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’m not good or anything but it looks like he’s standing too close to the ball and that’s forcing him to swing funny and make mid swing adjustments to find the sweet spot leading to a lot of variability on where the club face connects

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I'm a pretty mediocre golfer compared to some people in here but immediately I'm seeing all upper body. He's using his hands way too much. You can see when he starts his downswing his hands are coming down before his body starts rotating back and that's a massive no-no. There's no lag there (in fact, negative lag!) to drive the ball. Because of that his hands are kind of overcompensating and probably causes some wildly inconsistent shots.

There's other issues there but that's the major takeaway from me.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

Help my friend's horrible lefty golf swing. I don't know what tell him besides get lessons. Maybe a tip or two?

He stops his body rotation and keeps moving his arms. He should be doing the opposite. Move the arms to a point where they are comfortably in place, then continue rotating the body.

Body needs to go first on the downswing. If he keeps swinging with his arms first, he's always going to either slice the poo poo out of it, or over correct and pull the hell out of the ball.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

ElGroucho posted:

If he keeps swinging with his arms first, he's always going to either slice the poo poo out of it, or over correct and pull the hell out of the ball.

This is exactly what he does.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Have him go get a lesson. Everything everyone is saying here is right, but you've got 10 guys telling him to do 10 different things all at once. An instructor needs to break down each thing he's doing wrong and correct them one at a time.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

mattfl posted:

Have him go get a lesson. Everything everyone is saying here is right, but you've got 10 guys telling him to do 10 different things all at once. An instructor needs to break down each thing he's doing wrong and correct them one at a time.

Yea I agree. Unfortunately, he's tried that and it didn't click with him. Oh well, some people just can't be reached.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

i am a moron posted:

Sounds like maybe you’re thinking too much instead of swinging away

xsf421 posted:

This happens to me almost every time on the range. Once I'm on the course I blank my mind out and do fine, but range sessions are always a nightmare of shanks, tops, and thins.

100% that's a part of it, yeah. I've done similar; awful range session that leads me to worry about my round, and then the next round is....fine.

I took a few videos, and I can see on my takeaway the club head is too far forward (where I was previously going too much inside, leading to coming in over the top), and my trail arm bends at the point of contact. No bueno

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Take him to a batting cage.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Thinking of getting my dad one of those self-driving push carts. Anyone have any recommendations or know of good comparisons?

My buddy's dad has https://alphardgolf.com/collections/frontpage/products/club-booster-v2

At Costco they are selling https://www.costco.com/mgi-zip-navigator-at%2C-all-terrain-electric-golf-cart-bundle.product.100504700.html

e: found a review https://mygolfspy.com/best-electric-golf-push-cart-2022/

Petey fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 28, 2022

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

daslog posted:

As a currently practicing lefty, lefty's are special for whatever reason. He should go get actual professional lessons. It made a huge difference for me. I'm still not great, and need short game/wedge lesson time, but long iron and driver hits are far far more consistent.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Josh Lyman posted:

What should I buy from the Congressional pro shop? I ask because I generally don’t collect souvenirs; meanwhile my apartment is barely decorated.

I wish I had collected scorecards from every course I’ve played, then I could have some gems like Pinehurst, Muirfield Village, and East Lake and display them in as wall art or something.

I always get a golf ball (doxing balls redacted):

Edit: I have no idea why the resolution is so bad but w/e.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Thanks for the feedback on his swing. I'll encourage him to get a lesson with a pro again.

For my own swing, I spent some time in February and March trying to learn to swing in to out. All of that practice seems to have been lost, and I'm slicing again.

Does anyone have a drill or video they like to fix swing path?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

daslog posted:

Thanks for the feedback on his swing. I'll encourage him to get a lesson with a pro again.

For my own swing, I spent some time in February and March trying to learn to swing in to out. All of that practice seems to have been lost, and I'm slicing again.

Does anyone have a drill or video they like to fix swing path?

This video gets posted a lot on r/golf when people are looking for inside-out swing path help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GtQQHvbT6E

For me, the more I try and follow this and other guidance to swing inside-out, the more I end up topping the ball.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I went out for a quick 9 during lunch, and I got paired with a dude who was maybe 50-60. He had a PGA bag tag, and a bunch of other Bag Tag Barry type stuff.

I said, "Hey, starter said I could join you, hope you don't mind."

"No problem! This is great! I have a blind spot so you can help me find my ball! Do you mind if we play the white tees?" I've got no problem with that, it'd be nice to work on my short game and long irons.

First drive, he pops it maybe 100 off to the left. I bomb a rare piss-missile down the middle. He shanks one hard left, almost perfectly perpendicular. I am furiously looking at my instagram, trying hard to not watch him.

I'm 53 yards away, not my favorite distance, but I manage to get a 52 wedge pitched on the green. He thins a wedge like 40 yards over the green in to some ridiculous prairie grass. I pop in a quick 2 putt to get out of the way and help him look for his ball.

He walks up, "Hey, Groucho, I'm going to go back to the practice ground, something doesn't feel right." "You sure, dude? I'm not in a hurry."

"No, no, I need to go back and figure something out."

He walks off, and I feel really bad for the dude, because I've been there before. But I was sure he was going to absolutely kill it from all the cool guy accoutrement. Shame to leave a round in the first hole. I wish I could find him and tell him I didn't play very well for the rest of the round.

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 28, 2022

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

ElGroucho posted:

I went out for a quick 9 during lunch, and I got paired with a dude who was maybe 50-60. He had a PGA bag tag, and a bunch of other Bag Tag Barry type stuff.

I said, "Hey, starter said I could join you, hope you don't mind."

"No problem! This is great! I have a blind spot so you can help me find my ball! Do you mind if we play the white tees?" I've got no problem with that, it'd be nice to work on my short game and long irons.

First drive, he pops it maybe 100 off to the left. I bomb a rare piss-missile down the middle. He shanks one hard left, almost perfectly perpendicular. I am furiously looking at my instagram, trying hard to not watch him.

I'm 53 yards away, not my favorite distance, but I manage to get a 52 wedge pitched on the green. He thins a wedge like 40 yards over the green in to some ridiculous prairie grass. I pop in a quick 2 putt to get out of the way and help him look for his ball.

He walks up, "Hey, Groucho, I'm going to go back to the practice ground, something doesn't feel right." "You sure, dude? I'm not in a hurry."

"No, no, I need to go back and figure something out."

He walks off, and I feel really bad for the dude, because I've been there before. But I was sure he was going to absolutely kill it from all the cool guy accoutrement. Shame to leave a round in the first hole. I wish I could find him and tell him I didn't play very well for the rest of the round.

drat, I love that guy.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I’ve totally been there, just completely lost for a couple of holes until I figure out what I’m doing wrong. I wouldn’t denounce him quite yet.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I play fast and I play bad so I never worry about how lovely I’m playing as long as I got a cold beer and something to smoke it’s a good time

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Lots of issues here:
-Stands too close to the ball
-Hips are open at address
-Lower body stops rotating halfway through the backswing and he just lifts his arms up
-Clubface is super closed at the top of his swing
-First move in the downswing is over the top
-Lower body spins out through impact

The only thing that really matters is impact position, and his isn't horrible, but it does look like the position of an older guy who never got his fundamentals sorted out. Start with grip and alignment/stance but the downswing needs to be adjusted simultaneously or he'll hit the ball even worse since he's making compensating moves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I really enjoyed being a walking scorer this week. I would've considered doing the Women's US Open at Pebble Beach next year but they're already full up on volunteers. I could do Baltusrol for the Women's PGA next year, but if I stay with friends in Manhattan, that's a fairly long commute each day so I need to figure out if I want to pay for a hotel closer to the course for a week.

Dr. Capco posted:

I always get the yardage book for the course if they have it. But if I go to a tournament Ill get a flag.

Douchebag posted:

I like to buy a hole flag for each tournament I go to, which hasn’t been many but I think they are pretty cool.

Have one from the 2012 Masters and the PGA from Baltusrol a few years ago.

Halo14 posted:

I always buy yardage books from high end courses. Some of them are beautiful works of art. That and ball markers.
I went back to the pro shop on Sunday afternoon. The Congressional yardage book is nice enough but not really something you can appreciate without flipping through. I thought about grabbing a flag but at that point, it was too late for signatures. :negative:

Omerta posted:

I always get a golf ball (doxing balls redacted):

Edit: I have no idea why the resolution is so bad but w/e.
Golf balls are pretty easy but it feels too small from a decoration standpoint, which might be preferable for some.

I will probably (hopefully) get a chance to play Congressional before the end of the year based on the members (volunteers) I met, and maybe I'll grab a flag at that point. Flags feel like the best combination of something that's recognizable for each course (the logo) and large enough to work as art. But again, a huge missed opportunity for signatures this week.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I have a little golf pencil collection in my home office that I really like! In terms of smaller golf colector items you can't beat it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I collect frustration and disappointment from every course I play. Only takes up about six inches of space too.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I might start documenting golf holes that I find interesting in here. It's somewhat therapeutic. :unsmith:

There's a hole at my local muni I have ranted about before in this thread. Nasty 600 yard bastard that turns left hard off the tee. It's widely regarded as the hardest tee shot in town. A straight ball is in the woods, a push or slice is OB, and a pull/hook gets knocked down by the trees where you are treated to a downhill lie with 450+ yards left and water in play. It really forces you to make three good swings to even have a chance of sniffing a par. The tee shot is right to left with a driver from the blue. Fairway wood from the whites. I used to pull hook shots a lot so I've gotten fairly decent at hitting this fairway with a right to left shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaXzYtdTjZc&t=17s

The second shot ranges from easy to oh god depending on the lie. Left/right are thick rough and have tree branches to contend with. Short of the tiered landing areas on the fairway, you're staring at a water hazard in front of you with a fairway wood and a deceptively downhill lie. Either of the landing areas are best. From there you have a good 220 yards from where I was at to the 100 yard marker.

The landing area for your second shot has a bunch of hills covered in rough splitting the fairway towards the end. Safe range to take a bad hop into a worse lie leaves you anywhere from 115-145 yards to the pin depending on placement. There's also a big nasty bunker front right of the green as it slopes up. Many a good looking iron shot have been eaten by that thing. It's in range of almost all pin placements if your direction isn't dead on. I missed what looks like an acre wide fairway, but it's really tight inside of 150 yards from the green.

This was a back right pin, and as you can tell, it's a little up hill too. I took a full 8 iron from there and came in just a little tiny bit long.

One chip and one putt later, and I am THRILLED with par.

Bird's eye view I annotated on a phone screen

The shots that I drew(poorly) were tracked on my golf app as 281 off the tee, 191 second shot, 135 approach. 607 yards as I played it.

I've been playing out of my mind lately and it's fun again! Sobriety looks good on me.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 29, 2022

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

This is a really good idea! I'll do a hole next time I get out there as well. But also - gently caress that! I like how your ball was like less than half a foot from being on a hardpan lie there.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Golf is dumb. At league tonight my first few holes were just the worst feeling ball striking possible. Like worse than topping it even if the shot ended up going further. Big pull slices.

Then on the third hole I had to hit a little punchy 3/4 PW, and didn’t even hit it great, but the move through the ball felt good. Thought, “hey, let me just try to get that feeling on my full shots”. Next hole, par 5, great drive, great 3W to 80 yards, which is a perfect stock 60*, literally dunk it for eagle. Went on to shoot a 38.

Just silly that one kinda meh shot makes you feel a thing that you try to replicate and you go from shooting probably a 45 to my best round of the year.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Golf is pure witchcraft. ^^

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
My irons went to poo poo over the last week and a half, couldn't work out what was wrong. Felt really uncomfortable, especially shorter irons but also weird shots like chips and stuff. I was having another bad range session today, trying all different things until finally I realised my grip had gone to absolute shite. Like, regressed back 6 months ago. How does that happen, for real?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

abigserve posted:

My irons went to poo poo over the last week and a half, couldn't work out what was wrong. Felt really uncomfortable, especially shorter irons but also weird shots like chips and stuff. I was having another bad range session today, trying all different things until finally I realised my grip had gone to absolute shite. Like, regressed back 6 months ago. How does that happen, for real?

Golf is witchcraft :)

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Whether its a good or bad shot, golf will always be a dumb game.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inspired by the Women's PGA last week and the free Arccos sensors I got, I played on Monday for the first time in a year. I played 1 set of tees up since it had been a long layoff, 6730 yards 72.8/142. (The tips are 7010 yards 74.1/145)

I shot 75 with no birdies though I had a few decent looks. I don't think I hit one good shot the entire round. My speed wasn't too bad, about half a club short of where I normally am.

As for Arccos, it didn't miss any shots BUT it's annoying that in order to get accurate distances, I need to tap it when I'm standing over the ball which messes with my routine, especially when I'm putting. Strokes gained could be helpful but based on this 1 round, it hasn't told me anything I don't already know, namely that my ballstriking is fine but I still need to find a putter I like.

RIP my Scotty Camerons

Josh Lyman posted:

Looked through some of my old GolfWRX posts and it's worse than I remembered. In 2013 I finished building out I still think is the perfect Scotty Cameron collection but sold them off in 2014. I probably only made around $1000, and I would absolutely pay that to get them back. :cry:

Even had the stock grips

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 29, 2022

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
So amusing to me as a bogey golfer to hear someone shoot a 75 without hitting a “good” shot. Just goes to show how as you get better your standards change. Which I understand myself to some degree because even when I play well I never feel like I did all that much right. Crazy game.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Josh Lyman posted:

As for Arccos, it didn't miss any shots BUT it's annoying that in order to get accurate distances, I need to tap it when I'm standing over the ball which messes with my routine, especially when I'm putting.

The only time I need to tap it is when I'm going to set the pin location. Otherwise I just play like normal, and it's tracked every shot so far. The only thing it seems to get confused on is if you hit two shots with the same club.

Say you go to hit a 7i and you top it and the ball dribbles like 5 yds so then you walk up and then swing again. It won't track that second shot. You have to go into the app and edit the shot to add the second swing manually.

I get the impression these sensors aren't made for someone with a 30 hdcp.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I have an axis1 rose putter arriving on Saturday. Going to use that for awhile until my putter fitting at club champion in August to see if my phantom x 11 can be salvaged to work for me, if the rose is a good fit, or if both are wrong and I have to go with something totally different. I've had only one good putting round in maybe 15 or 20 outings so it's time for some drastic change.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Dr. Capco posted:

Whether its a good or bad shot, golf will always be a dumb game.

New thread title?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
To continue the golf dumb theme I fixed my struggles with woods by not standing so far from the ball. For whatever reason I had started reaching out for the longer clubs without realizing it. I could not for the life of me hit it well no matter how much I changed my intention. Checked my setup, got a bit closer, and bam I could hit them again. Amazing how such a small thing could make such a big difference.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Went out after work yesterday to play 9. I purposefully chose one of the last tee times, which according to the booking site had plenty of open space both before and a few times after. So naturally in the 30 minutes from booking to getting to the clubhouse, I'm paired up with two other guys - who were both very good and played from the tips, mostly playing par to bogey golf. They were nice and pretty patient with me, especially as I put up a 10 on the first hole, having picked up my ball without putting. I ended up shooting a 60, which is my highest this year. Only lost one ball, which was nice.

We got stuck behind the quintessential four-old-ladies-who-took-forever group. All four leave their carts and walk around trying to find each ball, THEN go back to the carts to get clubs, THEN watch each player take a whack.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a net? I want to have one in my garage, with a relatively easy set up so I just have to back out the cars and set it up.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

These are my new favorite golf balls

I found one last weekend and proceeded to use it for the new 2 rounds before I hit a bad shot and lost it. I love everything about this ball. Watching them spin is loving cool, they are also easy to follow the flight
of in the air. Extremely had to find though, had to have this box shipped from Academy Sports as no stores near me has them in stock and hardly any websites have them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Srixon has those available directly for $34.99 and just wrapped up a 3 for 2 sale on all their balls.