Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I actually kinda feel bad how enigma's hype crew got this over the line and it's a snoozer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SeXReX posted:

I could see how looking at the game might give you that impression but lmao

I meant 'only runner that was actually able to submit a run to the marathon'

Agent355 posted:

I feel like the couch is just poo poo posting intentionally?

"yay lore"

"yay another button"

They don't feel interested in their own run lol

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idk, it's a little lower energy but it's not like they're dead silent, they've been commenting on the game, commenting on the techniques and skips and all. i've seen WAY lower energy runs than this. WAY lower. like "no one talking for 10 minutes as the host occasionally reads donations" low

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Hey at least it's something. That and the couch is the only source of energy in this run.

Whenever it goes into cutscene the gamma normalizes and, yeah, I see why you'd want to play this in white-screen mode.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I don't really care much about twitch chat so maybe this is normal for every run, but the mods are AGGRESSIVELY deleting the tons of negative comments that are going through the chat atm.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Agent355 posted:

I don't really care much about twitch chat so maybe this is normal for every run, but the mods are AGGRESSIVELY deleting the tons of negative comments that are going through the chat atm.
the mods are pretty aggro throughout the week because even with sub-only mode, there will be shitheads poking in and being awful

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Internet Kraken posted:

They don't feel interested in their own run lol

Yeah, this is a problem. Bad games work when the runner / commentators are into the badness and they can transmit their enthusiasm to the audience. Even relentlessly making GBS threads on a bad game can work, if you're enjoying mocking it or your suffering is overwrought and comical or induces empathy. Detached sarcasm is... Not great.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Yeah these kind of horror games get swathes of runners for whatever reason

As someone who has watched a different speedrunner suffer through terrible gimmick runs of this game, I will say the dumb gimmick runs have been infinitely more entertaining.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok i do have a criticism for this run which is. lol why do an all ending run if you wont show the endings

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kestral posted:

Yeah, this is a problem. Bad games work when the runner / commentators are into the badness and they can transmit their enthusiasm to the audience. Even relentlessly making GBS threads on a bad game can work, if you're enjoying mocking it or your suffering is overwrought and comical or induces empathy. Detached sarcasm is... Not great.

I think the main problem to me is that, again, this was a 90k incentive. And they kept hyping it up. FNAF! Gotta see FNAF! Everyone loves FNAF, its so great.

Then the run seems to have these runners approaching the game with a sort of deadpan, jaded outlook on it. It just feels off for what I'd been listening to hyped up for the past 8 hours.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

This feels like it should be a cutscene% or SOMETHING.

It feels so dead and lifeless played like this, where is the appeal?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Agent355 posted:

This feels like it should be a cutscene% or SOMETHING.

It feels so dead and lifeless played like this, where is the appeal?

Lifeless, you nailed it. Cutscene% would have been great imo

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kestral posted:

Lifeless, you nailed it. Cutscene% would have been great imo

The fact that it doesn't even have voices is wack to me. I can't even have this as background noise, it just sounds like them running around clicking on stuff.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I think inbounds was a mistake, this would be a much more fun run as basically a glitch showcase - the any% world record is like two minutes because you can just slip out of the world and wak straight to the fastest ending. And the silence just feels awkward, especially with the couch actively making fun of the game and sounding annoyed by the whole thing.

Also it's kinda funny that the crowd is so dead for a game that was gated behind such a big incentive

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
The crowd is carrying this game.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Maybe I'm zoning out but it doesn't seem like they're reacting to anything at all, except the occasional one dude or so cheering in the distance

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

ok i am just not getting the lifeless/low energy complaints. they're not shouting but they're discussing the game and the strats. my bar for poor commentary is when runners interrupt the couch, or the couch is dead silent. or not explaining anything. i've seen runs with all those issues. these two are talking back and forth, they're explaining the skips...

is it just because they're not shouting or cramming 2000 words into every minute like enigma was??

you guys would be miserable during retro FPS runs lol a lot of those in these events are just one guy on the couch or even no couch

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Flesnolk posted:

I think inbounds was a mistake, this would be a much more fun run as basically a glitch showcase - the any% world record is like two minutes because you can just slip out of the world and wak straight to the fastest ending.

Also it's kinda funny that the crowd is so dead for a game that was gated behind such a big incentive

In fairness, there's not a lot of crowd noise even when the crowd is packed in, since there's relatively few chairs and they're pretty far back. Not a complaint, the attendance caps and distancing are a token gesture toward the fact that we're still in a pandemic, and I'm heartened by even token gestures at this point.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Something I don't get: they turned off the voices because they claimed it skips cutscenes, but all the cutscenes are playing as normal?

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Look I don't think this is even 1/4 of the quality that it'd have to be to justify the hype but I don't think this run is like, terrible or anything. If this had just been a nighttime run in one of the off-peak slots it seems like it'd be fine.

I mean they're talking, the commentator is pretty active, there's, like, tech. Runs can, and have, done so much worse than this.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The 7th Guest posted:

ok i am just not getting the lifeless/low energy complaints. they're not shouting but they're discussing the game and the strats. my bar for poor commentary is when runners interrupt the couch, or the couch is dead silent. or not explaining anything. i've seen runs with all those issues. these two are talking back and forth, they're explaining the skips...

is it just because they're not shouting or cramming 2000 words into every minute like enigma was??

you guys would be miserable during retro FPS runs lol a lot of those in these events are just one guy on the couch or even no couch

THe game is lifeless. THe couch is just low energy and w/e, but the footage itself is ugly and extremely dull.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Oh yeah, it's not unwatchably awful, except maybe how obnoxously bright it is. It's just a big letdown after all the hype and I feel like it's letting the air out of the room. And yeah, what Agent said - though I've seen this game be pretty entertaining on twitch so I do think the runner and couch could stand to step it up a bit.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 28, 2022

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Enigma is cranking it to 11. I expect this to be at least a 5. The runners feel like they have gained a bit of energy in the last 5 minutes or so though so I’m hopeful.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

also i'm fine with the game being lifeless and dull because i don't want scott cawthon making any money from people watching this and becoming interested

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

Look I don't think this is even 1/4 of the quality that it'd have to be to justify the hype but I don't think this run is like, terrible or anything. If this had just been a nighttime run in one of the off-peak slots it seems like it'd be fine.

I mean they're talking, the commentator is pretty active, there's, like, tech. Runs can, and have, done so much worse than this.

Run is fine, leaning a little heavy on the "game dumb lololol" jokes, but nothing wrong with it, totally decent run. Seems to be getting better if anything, runner seems to be warming up a bit. Tbf Enigma is one hell of an act to follow.

Crowd gonna carry this poo poo by upping his confidence imo.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Flesnolk posted:

Oh yeah, it's not unwatchably awful, except maybe how obnoxously bright it is. It's just a big letown after all the hype and I feel like it's letting the air out of the room. And yeah, what Agent said - though I've seen this game be pretty entertaining on twitch so I do think the runner and couch could stand to step it up a bit.

This is how I feel as well. I have been watching since the afternoon and stayed up to see this game. I never played or watched any of the FNF games.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
And Enigma going full WWE promo mode is inevitably going to be a big contrast with Ace taking more of an informative approach. Though I appreciate the effort to fill people in on what's going on, because high level speedruns can feel a bit inscrutable at times

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
This run wouldn't bother me much if they didn't spend the entire day hyping this up and talking about it constantly. Then you get to the run and the runners are approaching it with a super jaded outlook, which can be fine but it doesn't match the vibe they set up the whole day.

Again, its not the runner's fault, its GDQ for attaching the incentive.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 28, 2022

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

MuffiTuffiWuffi posted:

yeah it has off-peak hour energy, if it had gone after outlast it probably would've been the right time of night, although i guess we are past midnight in minneapolis

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

This is a really different for a fnaf game.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

This run wouldn't bother me much if they didn't spend the entire day hyping this up and talking about it constantly.

This is more or less my outlook, if you're gonna bellow "DONATE FOR FNAF" in our faces every five seconds it had better be a home run

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Yeah hard agree on the hype/quality mismatch, but I blame whoever set the incentives for that.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the incentives are probably decided purely on what games they think will drive donations, not based on the runners' energy or the style of run. like, halo community always donates a ton, so naturally Infinite is a bonus incentive. minecraft is an incentive because minecraft fans donate a ton, even though minecraft runs are always lame. FNAF being a memey horror game that kids love, is extremely popular even still today. but kids aren't donating at 10 PM lol

e: one last comment, indie horror games also tend to have a lot of 'downtime' outside of the big scare setpieces as they try to build tension or atmosphere, so they can be a real crapshoot. i'm a fan of amnesia for example, but it's not the most exciting run because it's not exactly action-packed. especially any stealth-heavy horror game is gonna be pretty flat because the excitement comes from when you gently caress up, and a speedrunner is.. not gonna do that. i dread the day the medium gets run at a gdq

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 28, 2022

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Runner guy just rolled his eyes ay the couch lady lmao

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

AHH F/UGH posted:

lol, i was doing the same

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Ace probably should've picked a couch member who doesn't seem to hate the game

AHH F/UGH posted:

Alex is they/them

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

idk if you actually want a person who actually cares about the lore or loves the game to be on couch, you'd end up with essentially a youtuber doing a GAME THEORY video essay while the runner's trying to concentrate

dissecting the backstory of the FNAF games is an entire cottage industry on Youtube

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alorem

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

The 7th Guest posted:

idk if you actually want a person who actually cares about the lore or loves the game to be on couch, you'd end up with essentially a youtuber doing a GAME THEORY video essay while the runner's trying to concentrate

dissecting the backstory of the FNAF games is an entire cottage industry on Youtube

What should my expectations be when watching SGDQ runs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
LORE is slowly reaching ORB excitement levels…