Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

DeadButDelicious posted:

I live near Cambridge

North east south or west of it and is there housing in that area that isn't a million quid for a powerless shed. Asking for a friend who is me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I wonder if it'll be the kettle, the toaster, the thousand watt magnetron tuned to nearly the same microwave frequency as wifi, or the fridge :thunk:

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Guavanaut posted:

I wonder if it'll be the kettle, the toaster, the thousand watt magnetron tuned to nearly the same microwave frequency as wifi, or the fridge :thunk:

Surprised it doesn't have a photo of Boris looking decisive like wifi interference is the one weird trick to solve the cost of petrol

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Kegluneq posted:

I'm not at all up to date on the Black Library but the books are generally pretty well regarded by fans. How good they are depends a little on your benchmarks for 'good' and how tolerant you are of derivative genre fiction (my favourites are basically rewrites of Sharpe, Flashman and All Quiet on the Western Front).

Some of them can be 'good', insofar as books based on little plastic models of orks and armoured knights with chainsaws can be good, I guess :shrug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Only kidding, I can't get enough of that pulpy space opera stuff :laugh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Dan Abnett, imo, is the author you want to look for if you're interested in the top end of 40k books

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tarnop posted:

Dan Abnett, imo, is the author you want to look for if you're interested in the top end of 40k books

Just read Red Rising and mentally swap out some of the names. That shits more 40k than 40k. It also does a much better job of portraying a horrible decaying space empire without "accidentally" endorsing fascism.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Hey, want to see the most incredible take?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that is the kind of grampa simpson rambling stream of consciousness you'd normally only see in someone with dementia

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Everyone I don't like supports everything I don't like.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you don't say

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Everyone I don't like supports everything I don't like.

It's just conservative thinking. I'm on Good Team, so everything I don't like is on Bad Team.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not entirely exclusive to them but certainly I don't think I have seen anything quite so incoherent as from them, where a bunch of words for things are reduced to interchangeable bad words that are thrown together into a sentence that has no overall meaning.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

"Conservative brain" probably isn't quite the right term, sure, but IIRC it's the kind of thinking that's mostly associated with conservatives. You get people who are just in it to have a team to be on in any kind of organisation. Tankies, to take the obvious example, are team sports brained people who happened to pick Red Team instead of Blue Team.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Even then I don't think they're quite as bad at just turning words into soup. There is definitely something unique about the right that does that. Tankies can be wrong about poo poo but at least there is usually some sort of logic you can follow. Right wingers are literally incomprehensible a lot of the time.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I think that comes down to demographics. Tankies seem to skew younger, so they're a little more coherent when they say "America Bad, America opposed Assad, opposing Assad Bad". Plus, it's socially acceptable to say America Bad, because indeed, America Bad, so they don't have to skip steps in their logical chain unlike people nostalgic for the No Dogs, Colored or Irish signs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/getgianni/status/1499590954336018452

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

fuctifino posted:

Hey, want to see the most incredible take?

Strong mental energy of a man who's wife has snapped and told him she doesn't want to hear it anymore and why doesn't he write to the paper about it

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Strong mental energy of a man who's wife has snapped and told him she doesn't want to hear it anymore and why doesn't he write to the paper about it

Wait til he learns the RMT are pro Brexit.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Andy Burnham pushing PR

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/25/why-its-time-for-labour-to-back-proportional-representation

quote:

To be clear, I am not advocating any form of electoral pact. I think democracy requires that people in all constituencies have a full choice of political parties.

What I am proposing is cooperating now on a programme for political reform.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

Tesseraction posted:

North east south or west of it and is there housing in that area that isn't a million quid for a powerless shed. Asking for a friend who is me.

Northwest, I don't think I'm doxxing myself when saying near Huntingdon to be more accurate.

And to answer your friend that is you: lol, lmao, no, unless you're willing to move to a village where the only noteworthy attractions are the post office van and a one-eyed cow.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Tarnop posted:

Eisenhorn is one of the few 40k books I've actually reread several times. The others are the incredibly hit-and-miss Slayer novels.

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

I've been saying this for a while. Burnham has been setting up the long game for this. He's neatly sidestepped Brexit without getting poo poo on his shoes, and if he keeps murmuring the right things while Keith is kept rudderless, it's an easy win after the next election when Keith loses/lib dem - tory coalition rises once more.

E: So, Burnham needs to be an MP before trying for leader, so he needs an election. Boris is going to need an election to get the 22 lot off his back, much like Theresa tried, but it wont work due to his toxicity, but Keith wont get labour over the top either. I suspect Lib Dem fightback will deliver a Lib/Tory coalition if the election happens in the next 2 years. This will be massively supported by the media. After getting a seat from this, and Keith cocking it up, AB challenges for the lead and in this field I dont see anyone coming second. Blairites like him, the left can tolerate him cos he hasn't stabbed them yet, and then 2-3 years later after coalition collapses/the burning trash fire gets too much and there's now an acceptable opposition - then comes the next election and the switch to sensible Blair II : The Burnham Boogaloo.

Oh, sorry, Big mac meal please///

OzyMandrill fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 28, 2022

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Helsreach is the best 40k book.

OzyMandrill posted:

I've been saying this for a while. Burnham has been setting up the long game for this. He's neatly sidestepped Brexit without getting poo poo on his shoes, and if he keeps murmuring the right things while Keith is kept rudderless, it's an easy win after the next election when Keith loses/lib dem - tory coalition rises once more.

Is he running as an MP in the next election? He's got to surely.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

peanut- posted:

gaunts ghosts are the best 40k books.

sharpe in spaaaaaaace

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It is a bit annoying that it's generally only the Catholic space fascists who get the 'yes, this is an awful faction run by awful people, but here's a nice, relatable protagonist stuck inside the system for you to cheer on' treatment.

Give us some Chaos-worshipping freedom fighters battling against 'the cruellest, most bloody regime imaginable', people.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

It is a bit annoying that it's generally only the Catholic space fascists who get the 'yes, this is an awful faction run by awful people, but here's a nice, relatable protagonist stuck inside the system for you to cheer on' treatment.

Give us some Chaos-worshipping freedom fighters battling against 'the cruellest, most bloody regime imaginable', people.

We still talking about WH40K?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Catholic space fascists is very 20th century, need some Southern Baptist and Russian Orthodox space fascists.

And some Q fascists who don't believe in space despite being on a fascist spaceship, in space.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

And some Q fascists who don't believe in space despite being on a fascist spaceship, in space.

This was the plot of an episode of The Orville I watched last night. So far, The Orville is the most Trek show since Voyager ended

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

That's a bit hard when one of the chaos gods is literally the blood god. If the other guys are the bloodiest regime possible then that's aspirational.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

OwlFancier posted:

That's a bit hard when one of the chaos gods is literally the blood god. If the other guys are the bloodiest regime possible then that's aspirational.

Yeah closest I can think of is the Soul Drinkers, and their arc ends with them being redeemed by a loyalist Space Marine chapter.

Nurgle's lot probably see themselves in this light, but 'carrying every disease imaginable' isn't very aspirational for most people either.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Night Lords books have chaos people who are the good guys. Though also very much the bad guys at the same time, but it is 40k so that's standard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

In a rather anti 40k note I had a pleasant walk for my breakfast today.

I continue to find the general shape of north yorkshire settlements to be basically ideal, no room for improvement IMO.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

peanut- posted:

The Night Lords books have chaos people who are the good guys. Though also very much the bad guys at the same time, but it is 40k so that's standard.

Well obviously, there's no good guys in 40k except the Tyrannids

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

In a rather anti 40k note I had a pleasant walk for my breakfast today.

I continue to find the general shape of north yorkshire settlements to be basically ideal, no room for improvement IMO.

Very pretty. I think terracotta is a massively underused roof colour in the UK (or at least in my part). I see it everywhere in eastern/southern europe on geoguessr.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah it's not that common I think, they usually use that nondescript concrete colour or some other kind of tile. I assume staithes might have some sort of order to keep it like that. Also presumably why everywhere is painted which I think is a bad idea because it draws a lot of attention to the barrage of seagull poo poo covering everything.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

This was the plot of an episode of The Orville I watched last night. So far, The Orville is the most Trek show since Voyager ended

I've been hearing Strange New Worlds is pretty good

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Dabir posted:

I've been hearing Strange New Worlds is pretty good

Yeah it looks pretty good

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For as much as it's trying to be jokey jokes and everything Lower Decks' kinda has a feel to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

Ascension Day has an oppressed underclass rising up against their fascist, technocratic masters. There are strong themes of family and community.

Genestealers, of course.