Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Emilia Clarke has the worst character in GoT and she plays it true to the book as an imperious wooden brat, so I can cut her some slack for that, but then she's awful in everything else too! It's wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Trillhouse posted:

Is Kit Harrington the worst actor from Game of Thrones?

(I think it's Sophie Turner, but he's buttcheeks too)

Sophie Turner was good when they had motivation for her. The worst by far was Shae's actress. Aiden Gillen in the second half when he changed accents and developed a Batman whisper was way worse than anything Sophie ever turned in.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Emilia was really awful in Terminator and Star Wars. But I think her performance in GoT was well done and mostly an example of good casting. I think she just has a very limited range.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Butternubs posted:

The dragon will be called Nedys, Ygrittys , Ghoston or something equally dumb.

Idunwantit the Mighty

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Aiden Gillen in the second half when he changed accents and developed a Batman whisper was way worse than anything Sophie ever turned in.

It's pretty funny to watch random GoT clips from the show that has Littlefinger in them and he almost always has a different accent.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It's going to be exactly the Mandalorian with Tormund as baby yoda. Looking forwards to the episode where he eats someone's children.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wonder if he's pushing so hard on this because 1) he knows he'll never be a leading man outside of GOT and 2) even though his wife is literal nobility and owns multiple castles he feels compelled to be ultra successful on his own because of insecurity.

I think you might be onto something, he never really developed much of an acting range and he's going to be limited career-wise going forward. The only two other roles I can think of were Pompeii and "the Black Knight" in the MCU, which doesn't sound like it's going to be a leading role. Thrones is like the one thing he's had going for him.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

It's going to be exactly the Mandalorian with Tormund as baby yoda. Looking forwards to the episode where he eats someone's children.

Jon Snow doing the lone wolf and cub with that white Walker baby could be fun

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Kit Harrington's a pretty good physical actor. Like, when he's in fight scenes he looks like he's actually fighting. This is a little bit like how Keanu Reeves acts (not saying they're the same but like, look at Keanu in John Wick. He learned how to shoot and it shows)

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

looking back at his breakdown-era interviews with variety and such it seems like he was super invested in the character and was more caught up in the futility of jon snows arc than the show crashing and burning overall. if this show is good, it will be a very cool thing to have done, and everybody will think kit harrington is cool. but if its bad, it will be mega uncool, mega cool indeed

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i just remember them saying in the behind the scenes stuff wow Kit sure can swing a sword fast, i wouldn't want Kit to swing a sword at me (very fast).

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

As Nero Danced posted:

I think you might be onto something, he never really developed much of an acting range and he's going to be limited career-wise going forward. The only two other roles I can think of were Pompeii and "the Black Knight" in the MCU, which doesn't sound like it's going to be a leading role. Thrones is like the one thing he's had going for him.

The best role I've ever seen him in was 7 Days in Hell.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

The best role I've ever seen him in was 7 Days in Hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuwqcKIdbdM

He plays dipshit incredibly well. He really needs to find the Coen Brothers to his George Clooney and find a director that can direct the charming dumbass out of him.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Kit Harington's hotel room freakout in 7 Days in Hell is excellent physical comedy.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Happy Landfill posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuwqcKIdbdM

He plays dipshit incredibly well. He really needs to find the Coen Brothers to his George Clooney and find a director that can direct the charming dumbass out of him.

Oh man I think he'd shine in a Coen Brothers movie now that you mention it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CPFortest posted:

Kit Harington's hotel room freakout in 7 Days in Hell is excellent physical comedy.

7 Days In Hell and How To Train Your Dragon 2 convinced me that Kit Harrington is an infinitely better comedic actor than he is a dramatic one. He needs to do more comedy roles. Leave Jon Snow in the dustbin of history where he belongs.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Trillhouse posted:

Is Kit Harrington the worst actor from Game of Thrones?

(I think it's Sophie Turner, but he's buttcheeks too)

Even back in The Good Seasons, to me Aidan Gillen always stuck out like a sore thumb. Be it bad writing or bad direction he always acted as if his character knew in-universe that he was a villain. It was impossible to take him as a serious threat when he opened his mouth and sounded like James Bond had just walked into his trap.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

lezard_valeth posted:

Even back in The Good Seasons, to me Aidan Gillen always stuck out like a sore thumb. Be it bad writing or bad direction he always acted as if his character knew in-universe that he was a villain. It was impossible to take him as a serious threat when he opened his mouth and sounded like James Bond had just walked into his trap.

It was strange, they never seemed to settle on his accent. Gillen is very talented with voices - his Baltimore accent was incredible.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
they did settle. in season 1 he just sounds like aidan gillen except english, afterwards he adopts this gutteral almost welsh accent for some reason. it was a huge downgrade and makes him seem ridiculous and like you said, intending to sound as evil as possible. his season 1 voice was way better for a guy who doesn't want you to know he's pulling all the strings.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
Gillen was fine in S1. They basically stopped writing him as having a public facing gregarious persona after that and just treated him like a slimey deviant afterwards and everything in his portrayal in all honesty reflects that.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

escape artist posted:

It was strange, they never seemed to settle on his accent. Gillen is very talented with voices - his Baltimore accent was incredible.

It wasn't just his accent. The way he always had a sneer on his face and overall mannerism, specially when talking to people higher up in the pecking order than himself or people with huge loving swords that wouldn't give a poo poo about cleaving him in half, felt really cartoonish. I guess they wanted to make him stand appart from the other conniving council members, him being the more malicious/sinister one, with Varys acting the pleasant suck up and Pycelle pretending to be a frail old man, but then he'd carry on acting that way outside of that environment and it was just odd.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Emilia Clarke has the worst character in GoT and she plays it true to the book as an imperious wooden brat, so I can cut her some slack for that, but then she's awful in everything else too! It's wild.

i know she's really popular and emblematic of the show for a lot of people, but yeah.

dany is a badly written character in a bad storyline, and it stays that way for the entire run regardless of all the dragonic moments. there's just...nothin good about any of that entire saga. you can't expect an actor to just come in and suddenly make all of this good.

and it isn't really why people were so into the show anyway - everybody was really there for the starks, lannisters and all that interesting drama. i think anyway.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

An insane mind posted:

I am not going to lie, Hayden in the Obi-Wan show (yes I am a horrible nerd for loving it and thinking it was good, I'm sorry) was amazing and his final fight *tears*

e: Kit Harrington however, is an absolute dope and horrendous actor but he has a rich as hell wife so who cares right?

He's got like 5 minutes of screen time how do you know he was amazing?!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

roomtone posted:

i know she's really popular and emblematic of the show for a lot of people, but yeah.

dany is a badly written character in a bad storyline, and it stays that way for the entire run regardless of all the dragonic moments. there's just...nothin good about any of that entire saga. you can't expect an actor to just come in and suddenly make all of this good.

and it isn't really why people were so into the show anyway - everybody was really there for the starks, lannisters and all that interesting drama. i think anyway.

Just remembered how bummed I'd be during the good seasons whenever it cut back to Essos.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Dany's story had problems from the start. They cut out a ton of supporting characters. They cut out Dany's book agency and character moments and gave them to male characters. They took the most liberty with her plot strings. Dany was just a nothing character in the show and I have to give Emilia credit for sticking that poo poo out for a decade.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The problem with Dany on the show is that we were mostly just shown Dany the Queen. I think you could make an argument they humanized Cersei more than Dany...

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Ageing up me sundae was probably not a good idea. In the books I recall Dany opening up to her probably because she was a child, but her interactions in the show mostly amounted to girl boss moments

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Taear posted:

He's got like 5 minutes of screen time how do you know he was amazing?!

His five minutes in Obi-Wan were better than every second of the four hours he was in Episode II and Episode III combined. His final scene as unmasked Vader finally convinced me that he was in fact the right man to play Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader, he just needed a director who wasn’t George Lucas to actually bring it out of him.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lezard_valeth posted:

Ageing up me sundae

british slang for when you let the ice cream melt into the toppings

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

nine-gear crow posted:

His final scene as unmasked Vader

Every time I hear something about the Obi Wan show it makes me think there's no way they did that like the Rise of Skywalker spoilers of the latter GOT spoilers.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Every time I hear something about the Obi Wan show it makes me think there's no way they did that like the Rise of Skywalker spoilers of the latter GOT spoilers.

"Unmasked" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, but in the context of the scene Obi-Wan slices Vader's mask open and you see like 1/4 of his face under the helmet. It's enough to let Hayden emote through the gap and he does a good job at it, regardless of everything else going on in the show around him.

It's literally the same thing that happened in the Rebels cartoon once.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m doing a rewatch of GoT. And I haven’t read the books yet, but I have the first one on the Kindle and I’m going to start it soon.

Is there any explanation given in the books for why Joffrey is a sociopath? I realize his mother and his real father aren’t fine upstanding citizens, and the person he believes is his father is an alcoholic and not real attentive, etc.

But Tommen and Myrcella don’t seem to be stricken by the same nasty personality disorder. Is Joffrey just a bad seed, or something?

Also, Sandor is my favorite character from the show. He’s pretty monstrous, but he also has the best character arc of anyone, IMO.

Jaime also had a pretty good arc going but in the end they inexplicably hosed him all up and did a great disservice to the character. I will never understand that.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

MrMojok posted:

I’m doing a rewatch of GoT. And I haven’t read the books yet, but I have the first one on the Kindle and I’m going to start it soon.

Is there any explanation given in the books for why Joffrey is a sociopath? I realize his mother and his real father aren’t fine upstanding citizens, and the person he believes is his father is an alcoholic and not real attentive, etc.

But Tommen and Myrcella don’t seem to be stricken by the same nasty personality disorder. Is Joffrey just a bad seed, or something?

Also, Sandor is my favorite character from the show. He’s pretty monstrous, but he also has the best character arc of anyone, IMO.

Jaime also had a pretty good arc going but in the end they inexplicably hosed him all up and did a great disservice to the character. I will never understand that.

...I think with Joffrey he rolled all ones on the incest traits roll. And his mother isn't like a super good person who kept enforcing his worst impulses while talking up his right to rule. I forget if that was more of a focus in the books.

E: They manage to gently caress up Sandor's arc in the end too because they just had to have their Cleganebowl. And I'll die on the hill of Jaime should have died against the night king or completely severed from his family, his arc just ended supremely unsatisfactory.

An insane mind fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jun 28, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

An insane mind posted:

E: They manage to gently caress up Sandor's arc in the end too because they just had to have their Cleganebowl. And I'll die on the hill of Jaime should have died against the night king or completely severed from his family, his arc just ended supremely unsatisfactory.

Yeah, CleganeBowl was stupid and the way they carried it off was stupid. What I meant was, he’s kind of a monster at the beginning, but then comes “gently caress the King” and the adventures of Arya and Sandor, which is my favorite little plotline of the show. He found at least a little bit of humanity there.

Of course he later becomes a D&D character with STR 18 and feats who’s a member of a party and whatever, but the whole show had kind of degenerated to that by this point.

As for Jaime, I’d have been fine with anything other than his redemption arc regressing to Cersei is hateful and evil and so am I so I need to get back to her, “I never cared about any of them.”

Yes you did, Jaime.

It just invalidated everything we had seen him go through before.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Also Jaime is one of the most unathletic person I’ve ever seen in a fantasy TV show and it sucks when he’s supposed to be the Greatest Living Swordsman apart from maybe Selmy

Every Nikolaj Coster-Waldau fight scene is absolute cringe

e: I promise this is my last post but I haven’t watched GoT in years and seeing that Thoros was played by the same actor who played the shrink in After Life made me spit tea out of my nose

Anyway, we come out, and there’s this gammy little geezer in a wheelchair

ARYA: Are we prisoners, then?

THOROS: You’re just a guest, you little oval office

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 28, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
test

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

MrMojok posted:

Also Jaime is one of the most unathletic person I’ve ever seen in a fantasy TV show and it sucks when he’s supposed to be the Greatest Living Swordsman apart from maybe Selmy

Every Nikolaj Coster-Waldau fight scene is absolute cringe

e: I promise this is my last post but I haven’t watched GoT in years and seeing that Thoros was played by the same actor who played the shrink in After Life made me spit tea out of my nose

Anyway, we come out, and there’s this gammy little geezer in a wheelchair

ARYA: Are we prisoners, then?

THOROS: You’re just a guest, you little oval office

I like Nikolai Coster-Waldau but I agree with you, he doesn't move as fluidly as I my headcanon Jaime does. But then again, he only really becomes an interesting character when he loses his reason for being, his sword hand, but even then in the books while malnourished and after months in captivity he managed to keep pretty even with Brienne and in the show it just seemed a lot more clumsy. Which :(

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

MrMojok posted:

One thing to keep in mind with the books is that they're written as incredibly close POVs. You only know what a given character knows and their story is delivered entirely through their lenses, so while Joffrey's personality is described as a product of a relationship to the people around him, it's not really outright explained.

I'm going to try not to spoil anything, but starting in season 2, the show starts to diverge mildly as far as plots and arcs go, and they're fully different people by seasons 5 and 6.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I think one of the major takeaway critiques of GRRM's writing is that while GRRM claims he wants a more realistic palace intrigue/feudal civilization story than is usually presented in fantasy, Westeros politics are more deeply dysfunctional than they ever were in real life, aside from maybe the decline of the Roman Empire, which is still not 1:1 in any way. It's telling that one of his major influences is I, Claudius, which while not altogether inaccurate has a bunch of cartoonish villains.

In Westeros there seems to be no actual statesmen whatsoever, just a bunch of warlords, self-interested psychopaths, and corrupt oafs. It doesn't really hold up on cursory examination. If you had factions that just couldn't stop trying to slaughter each other while the seasons are of indeterminable length, eventually civilization would just collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Chemtrailologist posted:

The Turkish woman that played Shae(?) was awful.

No one ever agrees with me on this one, but the woman who played Catelyn Stark was horrible.

Carcetti was bad too.

It made Littlefinger's scenes a lot more bearable (and a lot more amusing) to imagine it was Mayor Carcetti who got dropped into Westeros from Baltimore and is just doing his best to fit in

Charles Dance was an insanely good Tywin and I really loved how he played the character. That scene where he is talking to peasant-girl-Arya while butchering a deer (that he legit was butchering! He learned how to do it for the scene I think) and giving her lessons about intrigue was so good. I felt sure that Tywin knew that Arya was a noble of some kind, if not suspecting she was a Stark outright. Tywin was never played as stupid or naive, and it made me respect him as a villainous character who was meant to be very intelligent, very careful, and very respected/feared, and Dance nailed it imo.

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jun 28, 2022