Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Sad to hear Asimov was such an rear end in a top hat.

I fear to ask about Pratchett. Please, please let him not be a bigot sex bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Nope. He was good.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Cowslips Warren posted:

I hate to be the one to have to tell you this but ………………………………………………………………….…… he was British :(

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Someone recently tried to say he was a terf and his daughter shut that poo poo down real quick.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it was this very thread that taught me that Arthur C Clarke wasn’t a gay dude who fled the UK like I thought, but a child rapist who was expelled.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cowslips Warren posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjnubfRy8Ws&t=1s

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think it was this very thread that taught me that Arthur C Clarke wasn’t a gay dude who fled the UK like I thought, but a child rapist who was expelled.

God loving dammit

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
This is why I only trust sci-fantasy authors. All that hard science attracts sex pests.

Something about general relativity and time dilation, maybe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Volcott posted:

This is why I only trust sci-fantasy authors. All that hard science attracts sex pests.

Something about general relativity and time dilation, maybe.

man I have bad news for you about China Mieville

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
MZB was at least more well-known as a fantasy author.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

muscles like this! posted:

Someone recently tried to say he was a terf and his daughter shut that poo poo down real quick.

well it was a terf saying he was a terf, so that tracks

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rockman Reserve posted:

man I have bad news for you about China Mieville

Oh no, he's British as well? :ohdear:

E: actual context: a blog post was made 10-ish years ago, alleging emotional abuse on his part. He confirmed that he was involved with the author of the post, and that he was in an open relationship at the time, and that the involvement stopped after a short time, apparently due to emotional issues. From what I can gather, she loved him, he didn't love her back. I'm not sure there ever was a full conclusion or explanation of exactly what happened, aside from the original post and a short comment from China Mieville.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 05:55 on Jun 28, 2022

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Oh no, he's British as well? :ohdear:

E: actual context: a blog post was made 10-ish years ago, alleging emotional abuse on his part. He confirmed that he was involved with the author of the post, and that he was in an open relationship at the time, and that the involvement stopped after a short time, apparently due to emotional issues. From what I can gather, she loved him, he didn't love her back. I'm not sure there ever was a full conclusion or explanation of exactly what happened, aside from the original post and a short comment from China Mieville.

i mean that and he's good buddies with and wrote a book with known rapist Zak Smith who once shat his pants in a Chik-fil-A and sued Ettin from TGD so hard that they had to step down from moderation, yeah

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

muscles like this! posted:

Reading almost any of his Discworld novels would have put paid to that really quick. So many have the central theme of being your true self no matter what the world tells you you're supposed to be.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Reading almost any of his Discworld novels would have put paid to that really quick. So many have the central theme of being your true self no matter what the world tells you you're supposed to be.

TERFs would interpret that message in a very different way than you did.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I cannot fathom Pratchett viewing anyone's choice about themselves with disdain. The man wrote so many strong characters who viewed themselves however they wished with perfect conviction even knowing others might judge them. I'd buy him being a pedophile before I'd buy him being a TERF and I don't buy either.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Everything I know about Terry Pratchett tells me that he was an absolute saint. He had hatred only for bigots and anger only for needless suffering. He was explicitly accepting of trans people, despite being British. Everyone who has ever met him describes him as kind and sweet (and righteously angry at the injustices of the world). If we ever find out that he was a sex pest of any kind, it will also be the day we find out that the Pope has renounced Catholicism and bears have started using flush toilets. That he died at age 66 while Henry Kissinger still lives at age 99 is proof that there is no kind and loving God.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DontMockMySmock posted:

Everything I know about Terry Pratchett tells me that he was an absolute saint. He had hatred only for bigots and anger only for needless suffering. He was explicitly accepting of trans people, despite being British. Everyone who has ever met him describes him as kind and sweet (and righteously angry at the injustices of the world). If we ever find out that he was a sex pest of any kind, it will also be the day we find out that the Pope has renounced Catholicism and bears have started using flush toilets. That he died at age 66 while Henry Kissinger still lives at age 99 is proof that there is no kind and loving God.

Or if there is, he's very selfish.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
the lesson you should have learned from finding out someone you idolized is a bad person is "don't idolize people," not "idolize someone else"

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Pratchett was by all accounts an excellent person all around:

https://twitter.com/thetallulahhh/status/1422487507413917698

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

moonmazed posted:

the lesson you should have learned from finding out someone you idolized is a bad person is "don't idolize people," not "idolize someone else"
okay x-er

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
TbF pratchett seems like the kind of guy whod agree you shouldnt idolize him

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yeah, if there were any justice in the universe, Pterry should have had at least like 20 more good years. But he didn't so there isn't.

2nd Amendment
Jun 9, 2022

by Pragmatica
I feel like the destruction of idols gets real misanthropic really quickly. it's fine to admire people, good and desirable even. Just treat the way you admire them like you appreciate their expertise. A physicist can be a great scientist but expertise in physics doesn't make them an expert in biology or theology. Generalizing "they are good at one thing so they are good at everything" is how you get engineers shelling ivermectin.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Groke posted:

Yeah, if there were any justice in the universe, Pterry should have had at least like 20 more good years. But he didn't so there isn't.

He left when it was his time to bow out. Considering everything that followed, he may have been in a constant state of rage if he lived.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

I AM GRANDO posted:

Do you have more details on this? All I've read was that he was once accused, investigated, and cleared.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
There were some FW:FW:FW chain mails from the 90s that said he claimed to it in an interview but they were all rubbish.

The idea he was unofficially expelled is another stretch considering he had moved to Sri Lanka a few years before being knighted.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

There were some FW:FW:FW chain mails from the 90s that said he claimed to it in an interview but they were all rubbish.

The idea he was unofficially expelled is another stretch considering he had moved to Sri Lanka a few years before being knighted.

I guess he definitely did it then

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
This is when it was previously brought up in this thread:

pentyne posted:

The golden age of SF wasn't golden for everyone

Turns out all the really dark creepy stuff that we hear about happening in insular circles has always been happening and power+prestige make people into monsters.

Plus for "outsider" communities it becomes an supremely unhealthy extreme us vs. them mentality to the point of protecting the Big Names even when its things like pedophiles. We kind of saw that happen with the furry community from the 80s to now where nazis and extreme fetishists took over and dominated the conversation until they were forced out to the periphery.

Digging through leads to two important points of information: this Vice story which is clearly a thinly-veiled reference to the writer's father protecting him from Clarke, and the suppressed story itself.

More details here about the story, an earlier story by NotW that was preemptively spiked, leading the Mirror to form its own investigation, and more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This is when it was previously brought up in this thread:

Digging through leads to two important points of information: this Vice story which is clearly a thinly-veiled reference to the writer's father protecting him from Clarke, and the suppressed story itself.

More details here about the story, an earlier story by NotW that was preemptively spiked, leading the Mirror to form its own investigation, and more.

This is the stuff I remember seeing before posted in this thread.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rockman Reserve posted:

i mean that and he's good buddies with and wrote a book with known rapist Zak Smith who once shat his pants in a Chik-fil-A and sued Ettin from TGD so hard that they had to step down from moderation, yeah

Oh yuck

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DontMockMySmock posted:

I've read most of Discworld in order from the beginning (stuck on Going Postal because I saw the movie first and reading it bores me somehow) and his worldview is extremely good and sound. Just a great positive message for everyone about dealing with the intolerant and unjust things that permeate our world. Standing up for what's right and being true to one's self.

Alzheimer's be damned. Take care of your teeth, people.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I think you'll find that, according to wikipedia, that Arthur C Clarke "immigrated to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) in 1956, to pursue his interest in scuba diving.[10]"

So there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He especially enjoyed "snorkeling"

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jazzyjay posted:

I think you'll find that, according to wikipedia, that Arthur C Clarke "immigrated to Ceylon (now Sri Lanka) in 1956, to pursue his interest in scuba diving.[10]"

So there.

Scuba diving certainly seems to be the hobby of choice for people with dubious reputations.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Jedit posted:

Scuba diving certainly seems to be the hobby of choice for people with dubious reputations.

Alright Elon

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Ok elon
E: dagnammit!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I was thinking of Leni Riefenstahl, actually.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

jazzyjay posted:

Ok elon
E: dagnammit!

:hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prof. Spaceman
May 1, 2007

NOPE

Jedit posted:

I was thinking of Leni Riefenstahl, actually.

Notable people in Scuba diving:

1. A nazi film propagandist
2. That French guy
3. Fish, I guess?

end of list