Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
FWIW I finished Fallen Order last night for the first time. I gave it up because it was fine but I had better things to play, but this time I didn't. The sword fighting is kind of dull, it needs more fatalities, and more things you can do with the sword that feel nice. The platforming I fell through levels a couple of times, I lost my sword in the game, and tried to attack someone out of reflex, and then my lit light sabre was dangling from my hand as I started wallrunning. The bosses are sort of easy and low imagination. I jumped into a shallow shelf but the game didn't want me to be able to stand on it so I fell to my death. The effects don't look good on Series S.

I did like the ending setpiece.

But it's clearly trying to take bits from better games and it's not making itself a better game as a result. That's why people talk about Dark Souls clones, because Dark Souls got a formula so right that it became the standard for that sort of thing.

Samuel Johnson said of a book:

Your manuscript is both good and original; but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

I don't know that I'd call much of it good or original though. Where does that leave things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll admit the opening scene with the hu and stuff was cool, probably the whole game should have just been the scrapyard tbh

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Larry Parrish posted:

I'll admit the opening scene with the hu and stuff was cool, probably the whole game should have just been the scrapyard tbh

The opening is good too. I think that's probably wise to have a good beginning and end, and hope people forget about the middle shonkiness. The trouble with games vs. movies is the middle can be several hours long.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Von Linus posted:

FWIW I finished Fallen Order last night for the first time. I gave it up because it was fine but I had better things to play, but this time I didn't.

This is what got me through it.

I bounced off it HARD at first play, and came back to it about 9 months later.

It’s “fine” at its best, and unfinished at its worst. There’s some real tedious stretches in there, and the path finding is loving atrocious from start to finish.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s an absolute travesty you can’t skip that awful intro level

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I LOVE to climb on clearly indicated level geometry and shimmy across ledges at 2mph with no control over my character.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh is the new God of War on XBOX now?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I don't think I hate anything more in modern games than the conceit of hiding loading screens by squeezing through some narrow passageway. It's silly, there is no reason to hate it, but so many games do it and it's just annoying.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Nothing was worse than mass effect elevators. Nothing.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It’s an absolute travesty you can’t skip that awful intro level

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Good deal if you never bought any of these yet.

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1541573509968605185?s=21&t=lIJeGSStTiLWmhnsPs0evQ

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uncharted climbing really helps break up the lords of the fallen tier souls combat. Theres a little something for everyone

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

little bits of poo poo from different asses

mlmp

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I started replaying Fallen Order (on PS5) and I'm enjoying it so far, though I'm not all that far in.

The woman who plays Cere is Debra Wilson who was in MADtv, so all I can think about anytime she talks in this game is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5nvzZUqHfs

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Rageaholic posted:

I started replaying Fallen Order (on PS5) and I'm enjoying it so far
PS5 owner so desperate for a game to play on their $600 space heater. Sad really.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

If you own a ps5 you have to scrutinise every game available on it to the ‘Sekiro at 60fps’ test:

“Is [game title] as good as playing Sekiro at 60fps?”

with this handy test you can see that the ps5 actually has two good games available

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

priznat posted:

I don't think I hate anything more in modern games than the conceit of hiding loading screens by squeezing through some narrow passageway. It's silly, there is no reason to hate it, but so many games do it and it's just annoying.

Wait until you see what you have to squeeze and wriggle yourself through in Scorn!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

been thinking this week about how Elden ring has ruined games for the foreseeable future, everything else is just poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

If you own a ps5 you have to scrutinise every game available on it to the ‘Sekiro at 60fps’ test:

“Is [game title] as good as playing Sekiro at 60fps?”

with this handy test you can see that the ps5 actually has two good games available

Jumping Flash and Shadow of the Colossus, agreed

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

been thinking this week about how Elden ring has ruined games for the foreseeable future, everything else is just poo poo

So true lol.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Need a Series X2 so Elden Ring can run at a consistent 60fps

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Works on my machine OP

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the new load times are bonkers. they made the best game of the year (of all time????) even better. absolutely clowning on these other devs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Twerk from Home posted:

Wait until you see what you have to squeeze and wriggle yourself through in Scorn!

I lolled at the scorn video where the guy fists some tube then acts all surprised when it doesn't let his arm go.. like dude what do you think would happen there??

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I recently replaced my motherboard and now I'm trying to reconnect all my services with my SSD that had a lot of games installed on it. I had Gears 4 and 5 and Halo infinite installed through Game Pass, but reinstalling the Xbox App on my PC didn't recognize that they were installed and I can't open the install folder because access isn't permitted, apparently. Is there a way that I can make the Xbox app on my PC scan my HDD and SSDs to detect games or am I stuck reinstalling and having a dead installation on one SSD that I can't access or delete?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for all the comments on that Jedi game the low price and video reviews had me tempted but it sounds like I would have hated it.

the rat fandom posted:

How there isnt a bushido blade styled star wars fighting game or a musou star wars is beyond me.

I think Disney wants to avoid anything where we see people getting sliced up by lightsabers maybe? I did note in a video someone complained that in the Jedi game you hack Stormtroopers up but they just fall down, you don't cut through them or anything and I think the one thing everyone wants from a Star Wars game is really satisfying melee combat where you can gently caress people up and maybe they gently caress you up and you lose a limb here or there but can just upgrade yourself like Luke getting a new hand or whatever.

It would probably be really cool if done in the style of the old God of War games (fixed camera, big setpieces etc. not the modern walking around with a kid style) but just with better and deeper combat. These new consoles could handle a lot happening with a fixed camera be it really acrobatic lightsaber fights on some huge moving setpiece or just massacring thousands of Ewoks while riding a Rancor like in that Boba Fett show. It doesn't even have to make sense, just have it hop from one spectacle to another and focus on fun no story needed like maybe one character could say "We really are the stars of wars" or something while surrounded by 5000 corpses and the highscore flashes on screen before going to a bonus podracer level or racing the Kessel Run in that space storm thing with the giant squid monster and having combat so it's kinda like Twisted Metal but with tentacles.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

SUNKOS posted:

Thanks for all the comments on that Jedi game the low price and video reviews had me tempted but it sounds like I would have hated it.

I think Disney wants to avoid anything where we see people getting sliced up by lightsabers maybe? I did note in a video someone complained that in the Jedi game you hack Stormtroopers up but they just fall down, you don't cut through them or anything and I think the one thing everyone wants from a Star Wars game is really satisfying melee combat where you can gently caress people up and maybe they gently caress you up and you lose a limb here or there but can just upgrade yourself like Luke getting a new hand or whatever.

Would you put your brain in a robot body?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

I recently replaced my motherboard and now I'm trying to reconnect all my services with my SSD that had a lot of games installed on it. I had Gears 4 and 5 and Halo infinite installed through Game Pass, but reinstalling the Xbox App on my PC didn't recognize that they were installed and I can't open the install folder because access isn't permitted, apparently. Is there a way that I can make the Xbox app on my PC scan my HDD and SSDs to detect games or am I stuck reinstalling and having a dead installation on one SSD that I can't access or delete?

It should scan automatically, so if they're not detected then it's a permissions/ownership problem in Windows thanks to the fun way WindowsApps works. I'm not sure if doing TakeOwnership or something would be able to fix it, did you do a new Windows installation?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SUNKOS posted:

It would probably be really cool if done in the style of the old God of War games (fixed camera, big setpieces etc. not the modern walking around with a kid style) but just with better and deeper combat. These new consoles could handle a lot happening with a fixed camera be it really acrobatic lightsaber fights on some huge moving setpiece or just massacring thousands of Ewoks while riding a Rancor like in that Boba Fett show. It doesn't even have to make sense, just have it hop from one spectacle to another and focus on fun no story needed like maybe one character could say "We really are the stars of wars" or something while surrounded by 5000 corpses and the highscore flashes on screen before going to a bonus podracer level or racing the Kessel Run in that space storm thing with the giant squid monster and having combat so it's kinda like Twisted Metal but with tentacles.

I kind of think Star wars always sucked but it being owned by Disney is really not helping things lol. Let me dice people apart like the drat movies.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ErrEff posted:

It should scan automatically, so if they're not detected then it's a permissions/ownership problem in Windows thanks to the fun way WindowsApps works. I'm not sure if doing TakeOwnership or something would be able to fix it, did you do a new Windows installation?

I had to do a fresh windows install but it wouldn't scan my SSD for the apps folder. I did some more searching and it was recommended that I just delete the folder and reinstall the games. Which is annoying, but at least my profiles are saved on the cloud so I'm not losing progress. Still sucks that I need to do a reinstall with how painfully slow the Xbox app is to download games.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Spacebump posted:

Would you put your brain in a robot body?

No body just use the force to keep it floating and saber swooshing like lol try and hit me lmao you can't I'm a floating head full of midichlamydians

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

There's an Xbox sale going on right now that has some nice games. Deep Rock Galactic is on sale for 15 EUR for the first time, so I picked that up. It's Play Anywhere so I'm probably playing that with my PC buddy soon. :haw:

https://www.trueachievements.com/n50192/xbox-sale-roundup-june-28th-2022

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

I recently replaced my motherboard and now I'm trying to reconnect all my services with my SSD that had a lot of games installed on it.

had a moment of utter panic thinking this was about the series x

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Deep Rock Galactic

this game owns btw, good buy if you like pve team shooters

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dark Souls 1/2/3 currently on sale in the Xbox store. Three excellent games.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ds2 and nier and dragons dogema and nioh are so far the only games I've purchased multiple copies of. i have ds2 for PC, PS4, and series x. although in my defense I bought the console copies specifically because it was like $15 and I knew it would give me the most hours of waiting for stuff I actually wanted to play to download.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the DS2 you get nowadays is crazy value, it has like another game worth of DLC

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Sid Meyers Pirates for 2.5 e? Nice.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

the new load times are bonkers. they made the best game of the year (of all time????) even better. absolutely clowning on these other devs

I'm real glad they decided to do this after I put 150 hours into the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the DS2 you get nowadays is crazy value, it has like another game worth of DLC

Truly it's discount elden ring.