Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Polgar learned a bunch from the old Soviet school so the Rapport-Firouzja endgame is basically heaven for her. Four rooks, three pawns, and no clear evaluation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Wait they drew? I'm laser focused on the Hikaru game but I thought Rapport was like +9?

Promethium
Dec 31, 2009
Dinosaur Gum
Endgames are hard. Interestingly while the chesscom live broadcast had Rapport at +9, it only seems to give those positions +1 or so if you actually copy the game in (and so does lichess's web engine).

This was the last position where the broadcast claimed +8 for white:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Remember that these evaluations are sort of meta-evaluations, representations of the actual evaluations of the position: a win with best play, a draw with best play, and so on. The "+8" doesn't mean that the position is easily winning, it means that there is at least one line which provides a win. It doesn't say anything about how easy that win is, or how obvious it is to find the winning line.

In the actual position, white isn't immediately obviously mating black, which means that there are a ton of possible moves to look at and in a lot of them black gets a lot of counterplay. In a lot of positions, if black can organize doubling his rooks along a file, he'll have if not a guaranteed draw then very good chances at one. Further, if white isn't winning immediately, black's advanced d-pawn is actually pretty scary. From Polgar's analysis on chess24 stream, the difference in line evals likely comes down to R+P v R endgames, and telling wins from draws on those from 15 moves away is hard as hell.

It's probably worth noting that, as I'm playing around on chess24's inbuilt engine, a lot of the 'best' lines the engine is giving are actually repetitions.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Yeah when I finally looked at the game with my engine I couldn't find where in the world any engine would give it +9

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Nepo's in some real anguish vs Hikaru here, early in round 5

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Omnikin posted:

Nepo's in some real anguish vs Hikaru here, early in round 5

hikaru is maybe in time trouble here

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

wait they just agreed to a draw?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nakamura created a repetition because he's low on time and his position is a bit flimsy. Nepomniachtchi's spent most of the game trying to not immediately lose, so he's happy to get out.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

Nakamura created a repetition because he's low on time and his position is a bit flimsy. Nepomniachtchi's spent most of the game trying to not immediately lose, so he's happy to get out.

yeah i guess hikaru realized he had kinda blown his advantage and just wanted to end it early? we'll find out soon straight from the man himself i guess

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Exactly that, from the man himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a82fMDkB2_Q

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Did drunk Magnus show up to commentate because it sounds like Drunk Magnus made a global appearance

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

That's really great to hear his analysis right after the game like that. The way he can rattle off all those deep lines he was pondering OTB so concisely is just awesome.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

former glory posted:

That's really great to hear his analysis right after the game like that. The way he can rattle off all those deep lines he was pondering OTB so concisely is just awesome.

one of the comments on his video yesterday was "you play better when you rely on intuition. stop thinking so much and just play the natural moves" lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

pictured: me not thinking and relying purely on intuition:

lead to a strong win

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Qa8 sure is a move :staredog:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Redmark posted:

Qa8 sure is a move :staredog:

i was planning for the discovered check but i had like 5 seconds left on the clock and forgot the king was stuck there, which is why i blocked his check with my bishop, hoping to allow my king to run out by taking the pawn and getting that check in

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm team Nepo again and I approve of how the tournament is progressing.

Fascinating, but I'm thankful YouTube offers a 0.75 speed setting.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

I probably shouldn't be proud of this game, I made too many mistakes. I can't help feeling elated though, I shouted like I'd scored a goal at the end.
https://www.chess.com/analysis/game/live/49886998109

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rip fabi

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

we’re in a world where it could be nepo vs hikaru in the world championship match

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

This game went from rip fabi to what the gently caress are you doing, Hikaru, to rip fabi again so quickly that I'm dizzy.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Crazy game yeah. I could see Nepo imploding more than Fabi so Hikaru vs Fabi could be possible. Considering they traded wins here that would be a pretty interesting match.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I only caught a couple seconds of that Hikaru post-game interview, but Hikaru said something like "I don't know why Fabi would do this to me", and chat spammed something about disrespect. What was he referring to?

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

busalover posted:

I only caught a couple seconds of that Hikaru post-game interview, but Hikaru said something like "I don't know why Fabi would do this to me", and chat spammed something about disrespect. What was he referring to?

I didn't see the interview but it might've been this?

In the youtube recap he posted he mentions that he thought Caruana might play it, though, so he prepared for it. So I'm not sure what he was on about. Maybe just stirring up chat?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
ah yeah, that's probably it.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I really thought Fabi was going to pull off a miraculous save against Hikaru, and then I really thought he would convert his position today against Nepo. Disappointing.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i wish fabi won last night

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So will Magnus just refuse to play Nepo again?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

V for Vegas posted:

So will Magnus just refuse to play Nepo again?

hold on, i'll ask him

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Just shitposting, but am I the only one disappointed about Nepo winning again? He got facerolled by Magnus last year in boring ways, not particularly interested in seeing him do it again.

Obviously Hikaru would also get face-rolled, but the Fabi - Magnus games would at least be interesting. I really think Magnus' own suggestion that the world champ has to be part of candidates is really more-interesting, though. That's how it is done across most games. Imagine if DotA internationals was a massive bracket of contenders that had to play matches against last year's team.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

QuantumNinja posted:

Just shitposting, but am I the only one disappointed about Nepo winning again? He got facerolled by Magnus last year in boring ways, not particularly interested in seeing him do it again.

Obviously Hikaru would also get face-rolled, but the Fabi - Magnus games would at least be interesting. I really think Magnus' own suggestion that the world champ has to be part of candidates is really more-interesting, though. That's how it is done across most games. Imagine if DotA internationals was a massive bracket of contenders that had to play matches against last year's team.

id prefer seeing pretty much anybody but nepo again yeah. he's having great results in the candidates this time around so maybe he'd do better in a rematch with magnus idk. fabi came a lot closer in his matchup with magnus a few years back though and as an american whos lived in china for over a decade, i am compelled to go for him, hikaru, and ding specifically, but it doesnt really look like anyone other than nepo or maaaybe fabi will actually get first place in this tournament unless nepo literally has a stroke or something

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

QuantumNinja posted:

Yeah, I'm not interested in seeing a Nepo rematch either. Although with the way he's played through this year's candidates, maybe it'd go differently (I wasn't really following chess during the last candidates)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i also very strongly doubt hikaru would actually win a world championship match vs magnus. maybe fabi or ding could? what do i know

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

QuantumNinja posted:

I think the Nepomniachtchi match was better than the Caruana match because Carlsen actually respected Nepomniachtchi's rapid game. In the Caruana match, Carlsen's strategy was transparently "I'm going to half-rear end my way to twelve draws because Caruana can't hack it in rapid." And then he was right.

I think there's a bunch of players who could win a match against Carlsen, but that's obviously separate from them being favoured.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Hand Knit posted:

I think the Nepomniachtchi match was better than the Caruana match because Carlsen actually respected Nepomniachtchi's rapid game. In the Caruana match, Carlsen's strategy was transparently "I'm going to half-rear end my way to twelve draws because Caruana can't hack it in rapid." And then he was right.

I think there's a bunch of players who could win a match against Carlsen, but that's obviously separate from them being favoured.

could you?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

that one game in the nepo/carlsen match was worth the rest of them being bad imo

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
If Nepo wins and Fabi finished second, and Carlsen follows through on not playing, a Nepo/Fabi championship match seems like it could be pretty great based on this tournament

Or maybe months of intensive individualized prep would squeeze the life out of it and world championship matches are always going to underwhelm no matter who plays

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
Nepo fought well and had Carlsen on the ropes once or twice, it was exciting. Then he lost a game and disintegrated which was again interesting, just in a different way. I believe he'd be psychologically stabler in a rematch, and with Carlsen possibly less motivated, it could be a close call.

Fabi drew all the regular games and I don't remember him really threatening, or anything else interesting from that match. And he doesn't look any stronger now than he was then. I can't imagine why you'd want a repeat of that match, unless you're just rooting for an American player. Personally I'd even watch Karjakin rather than Fabi, politics aside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I dunno about taking a game off him but if we include the possibility of him getting bored and leaving my odds of walking out champ look good.