Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Judge Tesla posted:

I remember when Bernie's father was the most hated man in the fandom but I think Duke Aegir has stolen that title, I want to rip his head off bare-handed, holy poo poo do I hate him now.

It’s actually truly astonishing that such a repugnant man could raise a son so good, so pure, so noble in every sense of the word as Ferdie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Deltasquid posted:

It’s actually truly astonishing that such a repugnant man could raise a son so good, so pure, so noble in every sense of the word as Ferdie.

"Bad dads whose kids end up okay" is kind of a common thing in Fodlan.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kanos posted:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Judge Tesla posted:

I remember when Bernie's father was the most hated man in the fandom but I think Duke Aegir has stolen that title, I want to rip his head off bare-handed, holy poo poo do I hate him now.
How did Ferdie

Deltasquid posted:

fake edit: gently caress beaten

But seriously, how did Ferdie come out as Ferdie?

Doesn't Ingrid's dad try to pressure her into a political marriage? (in Three Houses)
To be fair on the Fodlan scale of bad parents that's at most a 1.5 out of 10.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Omobono posted:

Doesn't Ingrid's dad try to pressure her into a political marriage? (in Three Houses)
To be fair on the Fodlan scale of bad parents that's at most a 1.5 out of 10.

Ingrid's dad is the doting "isn't it time you settle down and get married for the sake of your future?" kind of "it's time you get married" versus the "you are my political pawn used to advance my ambitions and will obey my commands" kind of "it's time you get married". She refuses him asking her to get married to various suitors numerous times and is able to get away with it without consequences besides feeling bad.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Kanos posted:

Ingrid's dad is the doting "isn't it time you settle down and get married for the sake of your future?" kind of "it's time you get married" versus the "you are my political pawn used to advance my ambitions and will obey my commands" kind of "it's time you get married". She refuses him asking her to get married to various suitors numerous times and is able to get away with it without consequences besides feeling bad.

More "We are horrifyingly broke for a noble family and an advantageous marriage for you is our only hope", but he still won't force her to marry if she doesn't want to.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Hey now Rodrigue doesn't seem that bad, honestly. Just... He's just incredibly bad at dealing with Felix's general prickly nature. I like the contrast between their active skills. Felix rewards mashing buttons as fast as possible to mash buttons even faster while Rodrigue has timed hits that reward being calm and precise.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Ingrid's dad is not actually good (except compared to utter monsters like the Bartels).

First of all, he sets up an arranged marriage to house Fraldarius seemingly the instant Ingrid was shown to have a Crest (that it seems to have been a good match is besides the point of the arranged-marriage issue). Once that falls through, he repeatedly tries to marry her off to randos (including the Lethal Lava Land Merchant, who is so bad that Dorothea instantly recognizes him by name as a nasty piece of work) because she's a female with a Crest and he won't put in the work to improve Galatea's land (which various non-AM Ingrid endings show is entirely possible), instead seeming to rely on Ingrid's bride-price to finance Galatea's future. Note that even after the Ingrid paralogue, her dad still will keep trying to get her married despite her best wishes, only seeming to stop when the War breaks out and more important stuff happens. (You could read her non-CF pre-timeskip death quote as her vanishing into marriage: "Returned to her territory after the battle of Garreg Mach, but went missing afterward. She was unable to make the promised meeting." which is a separate quote to what happens on CF, where her links to her family are cut: "Fell on a different battlefield after the battle of Garreg Mach. She was unable to make the promised meeting." but I'll admit that that's fairly tenuous.)

Also, according on one of Ingrid's tea-time lines he used to yell at her for spending time with horses rather than training to be a proper Faerghus' wife (sorry that's just my interpretation). Her name probably wasn't an accident, and it does refer to a Greek story about a misogynist and the statue of a woman he hand-crafted to be his wife because all other women had too many faults like being able to speak or do more than just look pretty. There's also the Abyss documents, which show that Galatea's...problems on this issue go way back to the foundation, as Galatea splintered from Daphnel because the elder of two Daphnel brothers was spurned by Claudia Riegan for the younger and so took half the family stuff and defected to the Kingdom, forming Galatea.

quote:

You were right. It seems he would not hesitate to divide the house. What's more, I hear he's considering taking his half of the territory and joining the Kingdom.

I can't believe he would even consider dragging another region into this, not to mention stirring up trouble over his inheritance, at a time when the Alliance desperately needs to unite. He's clearly out of his mind. Though he bears a Major Crest and you have a Minor Crest, your father was wise in his attempt to declare you his heir.

As it were, I can't help but wonder what your intentions with me are. I am drowning in letters proposing marriage to that...beast. He may share your face, but the resemblance ends there. I refuse to marry such a foul creature. If you don't come to me soon, I am going to you. Don't forget that my father's blessing could be revoked at any moment...

Ingrid's deal seems to show that Fodlan, and the Kingdom especially, is a bad place for Crested women who want more in their life than marriage and then Crest-baby-creation, and her father played his part in that.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jun 28, 2022

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
If only he knew all his efforts would be ruined by a mute teacher and an underground fortune teller.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Byleth is Beleth, the demon of love. This is inevitable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beleth
https://mythus.fandom.com/wiki/Beleth

Sitri's name is similar in this regard, so they're trying to make a point.

https://genies.fandom.com/wiki/Sitri

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jun 28, 2022

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Kanos posted:

Except for Lorenz and his dad according to this game. Lorenz and his father are similiar in some ways, with one of the main differences between them being that Count Gloucester is quite a bit more of a realist about the situation, likely due to being an experienced noble and politician within the notoriously cutthroat Leicester politics. So I guess we have yet a parallel of comparison between Ferdinand and Lorenz where both are likely going to end up as better leaders than their fathers but Ferdinand becomes a better leader by renouncing his father's ways, while Lorenz becomes a better leader by emulating some of his father's methods and rejecting others (and also by having a much better working relationship with the Alliance leader).

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Shinji117 posted:

Ingrid's dad is not actually good (except compared to utter monsters like the Bartels).

I mean yeah Ingrid's dad is a feudal noble still. Still isn't a bad dad

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Judge Tesla posted:

I’m only partway through SB right now, but what happens to Bernie’s dad and the effect is seems to be having on Bernie is incredible.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Clawtopsy posted:

I’m only partway through SB right now, but what happens to Bernie’s dad and the effect is seems to be having on Bernie is incredible.
I've only played the prologue on SB but that whole situation is just incredible
"Oh, I've been called to the palace, wonder what's going on. ...Wait, what the gently caress is happening, why are their a bunch of knights here, why is Duke Aegir in the dungeons, what the gently caress-"
"Oh, Count Varley, how nice to see you. Congratulations, you get a promotion."
"Er"
"You get to head the southern church, isn't that nice?"
"UH..."
"It's very important that someone steps into that role. After all, we're about to go to war with the central church, so..."
"UM????"
*five minutes later*
"Oh dear, it appears Count Varley is being chased by Central Church Assassins... such a shame."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Actually seeing him, he makes more sense. He's as paranoid as she has turned out. "I see where she gets it from." indeed.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 28, 2022

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm still only on my first playthrough, just got to part 2 of SB, but I really like how this game lets you get to know the nobles and political systems of the factions a little more, I always felt like I had no real sense of that when I was playing through three houses. Maybe that was on me for not paying close enough attention, or maybe it's just because there were so many player characters to keep track of that I didn't have any room left in my brain to remember anything about NPCs, but I feel like three hopes is putting that aspect of the setting more in the spotlight, and it benefits greatly from it.

I still think Bernie is annoying (I just don't like this archetype at all, in general) but in a more sympathetic way now

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Three Houses didn't actually show most of its nobility, Three Hopes actually giving a face to people like Lord Holst, Count Varley and Count Bergliez makes them feel like actual characters now.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Bloodly posted:

Actually seeing him, he makes more sense. He's as paranoid as she has turned out. "I see where she gets it from." indeed.

The implication here I believe is that he was fine, but now he has been been chased by Church assassins for two years, he's become the shut-in afraid to leave his room, ever. A few NPCs comment on how strange his behavior is, and he has to be actively dragged out of his quarters to preach. It's contrasted by Bernie becoming more calm, and saying things like "...Huh. Now that my father's shut himself in his room, that means I can go pretty much anywhere and never see him. This is... Kind of exciting?!"

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Judge Tesla posted:

Three Houses didn't actually show most of its nobility, Three Hopes actually giving a face to people like Lord Holst, Count Varley and Count Bergliez makes them feel like actual characters now.

Petra’s C support with Casper is really good because of this. The tension of “Casper is my friend but his dad killed my dad” feels much more real when Casper’s dad is present in the story and strolling around camp right in front of her.

Blaziken386 posted:

I've only played the prologue on SB but that whole situation is just incredible
"Oh, I've been called to the palace, wonder what's going on. ...Wait, what the gently caress is happening, why are their a bunch of knights here, why is Duke Aegir in the dungeons, what the gently caress-"
"Oh, Count Varley, how nice to see you. Congratulations, you get a promotion."
"Er"
"You get to head the southern church, isn't that nice?"
"UH..."
"It's very important that someone steps into that role. After all, we're about to go to war with the central church, so..."
"UM????"
*five minutes later*
"Oh dear, it appears Count Varley is being chased by Central Church Assassins... such a shame."

yeah it kicks rear end lol

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Augus posted:

Petra’s C support with Casper is really good because of this. The tension of “Casper is my friend but his dad killed my dad” feels much more real when Casper’s dad is present in the story and strolling around camp right in front of her.

Yeah, Bergliez actually being in the story and talking to people suddenly makes Caspar's character make a lot more sense. He's like, Lu Bu's middle child basically (or I guess if Holst is Lu Bu then Bergliez is...I dunno, Zhang Fei or Xiahou Dun or something? it's not 1-to-1 but it's in the ballpark), he's given himself a lot of expectations to live up to, and actually seeing Bergliez do things helps establish that a lot.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
byleth is definitely the lu bu, holst and bergliez being adjacent to guan yu and zhang liao feels like a good analogy

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Augus posted:

yeah it kicks rear end lol

It also ups the tension for the player because now we've seen the Count and he's a cool badass who at least I like. So liking Petra but also liking him keeps it complicated. I like that.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Holst is ridiculous now that I've got him and it rules. Particularly since Catherine on AG was such a letdown even after you unlock Thunderbrand's potential.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Azure Gleam

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

Holst is ridiculous now that I've got him and it rules. Particularly since Catherine on AG was such a letdown even after you unlock Thunderbrand's potential.

That is because Lysithia is Thunderbrand's true weilder

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That is because Lysithia is Thunderbrand's true weilder

I really hope I can return the sword to it's rightful wielder in SB, like I returned Lysithea to her rightful house. :v:

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
if the weapon triangle wasn't a thing I needed to at least pay some lip service to everyone would be a thief/mym/cavlier because they're absolute lawnmowers

the difference between them and the axe/mage/bow classes is night and day, it's weird

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Edelgard's personal class is extremely potent, but otherwise I agree.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Strangely I hated the lance classes until I got to master tier, Holy Knight/Dark Knight both own. Bow Knight sucks, but I've kinda got a handle on sniper and think it's decent. Edelgard owns. Honestly axes in general get so much better once you hit A rank on em, as rank increases your attack speed. Also put Ferdinand as an axe user, his passive makes axes loving insane. Mage is....not as good as in FEW as much as I want to love them. Dark Mage/Bishop is probably the best of the lot with Gremory coming in second. Also you're sleeping on punchmans classes. They are super fun.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gamerofthegame posted:

if the weapon triangle wasn't a thing I needed to at least pay some lip service to everyone would be a thief/mym/cavlier because they're absolute lawnmowers

the difference between them and the axe/mage/bow classes is night and day, it's weird

Bow and Mage classes can be super absurd too. Axes do feel too slow to me

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Armor Knight moveset rules tbh, one of my favorites in the game

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Eimi posted:

I really hope I can return the sword to it's rightful wielder in SB, like I returned Lysithea to her rightful house. :v:

If you can suffer through AG you carry over all weapons (among many, MANY other things) on a NG+ save file and could theoretically give Lysithea Thunderbrand the second she's playable.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Almost all of the characters who default to a cav class come packaged with ridiculous personal abilities as well. I ended up giving Sylvain the merc whistle in AG not because I like the character (I actually think he ends up boring as poo poo due to his rewrites) but because his personal is a contender for best in the game and I wanted it for myself in GW.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Emperor Edelgard's C6 is pretty much broken. She just engulfs everything on the screen (and many things off the screen) in an inferno which juggles them for a very long time. And you're free to do other things during this. It's basically trivializing all content at this point.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hubert owns hard as a Cav, which makes sense because he's a great fit for a Dark Knight. Running around with a lance lets him spread his dark spikes all over the place and it rules

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Beat chapter 14 in Scarlet Blaze, and I'm not sure how I felt about that plot event, but it absolutely owns bones that when Claude betrays you, your tactics are replaced with a Hubert button to reveal your triple agents and just erase his ambushes outright. Whoops!

Punchman classes are probably good, but who would I even make a war master? Ferdie and Jeritza are my horse wizard duo, and it feels wrong to put the Bert in a class that can't kill entire batallions with a menacing snap of his fingers. Literally everyone else I use is unable to ever get a gauntlet class.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Caspar fits thematically but I am guessing you're not using him then

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Beat chapter 14 in Scarlet Blaze, and I'm not sure how I felt about that plot event, but it absolutely owns bones that when Claude betrays you, your tactics are replaced with a Hubert button to reveal your triple agents and just erase his ambushes outright. Whoops!

Punchman classes are probably good, but who would I even make a war master? Ferdie and Jeritza are my horse wizard duo, and it feels wrong to put the Bert in a class that can't kill entire batallions with a menacing snap of his fingers. Literally everyone else I use is unable to ever get a gauntlet class.

I'm a little earlier than you, but I've recruited two characters for Gauntlet users: Balthus and Jeralt. For some reason, the latter being a gauntlet user is very funny to me.

I feel like I'm making too many people horse boys/girls, but they're just SO GOOD its hard not to just slap everyone with wizard levels into Holy or Dark Knight.

Also, I'm sitting on my Merc Whistle and not sure who to give it to. I don't know if it unlocks any unique dialogue, or it just gives you the new Active Effect. If its just the latter, I want to be a little efficient about it, because Shez is already a whirlwind of death and I want them to be even more of a walking blender. Does Hubert's spikes thing work with Shez, or would that be something of a nonbo? The other options I'm considering are Bernadetta's time stop thing or Byleth for similar reasons, which I think would be extremely funny.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

If you can suffer through AG you carry over all weapons (among many, MANY other things) on a NG+ save file and could theoretically give Lysithea Thunderbrand the second she's playable.

Almost all of the characters who default to a cav class come packaged with ridiculous personal abilities as well. I ended up giving Sylvain the merc whistle in AG not because I like the character (I actually think he ends up boring as poo poo due to his rewrites) but because his personal is a contender for best in the game and I wanted it for myself in GW.

Ugh that's the unlock condition? :negative: I guess if I skip all dialogue, do as few missions as possible it won't be...too bad... :vomarine:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's really funny whenever you go into the watchtower at camp and the framerate skyrockets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

In SB, you have Caspar, Balthus, and Raphael all as very suitable dumb punchman meatheads. If you care about seeing all the supports over the course of all 3 playthroughs, worth noting Caspar is not recruitable in any other routes so you may want to get him some use/attention no matter what. My understanding is that in NG+, the only way to increase support with carried-over characters that can't be recruited in the canon of the current route is to grind aux battles, which is a lot more time consuming than just getting them involved in chores and giving gifts while they're present in the camp.