Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Are they treating the two years after the Proclamation being issued as a delay? Cause it was issued in January 1863, the 'delay' was having to finish the Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Slushies are severely underrated, both in terms of a refreshing beverage and as a sweet treat

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Had a MTN DEW slushie today, can confirm

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

credburn posted:

Well, I must admit I was rather ignorant about the whole thing. I first learned of Juneteenth in 2008 when I was in a Texas jail, and then living in Texas for a little bit. I moved back North shortly thereafter and wouldn't even hear "Juneteenth" mentioned outside of Texas for almost ten years. The Emancipation became official two and a half years before Juneteenth. From juneteenth.com:

In the Texas jail, there were no extra possibilities; inmates and cops alike were in agreement that Texas wasn't going to release their slaves until troops came to make them do it, even if they had the news of the Emancipation and the appropriate official orders or whatever. This was the version I first came to know... and I guess until, uh, today I didn't really look further into it.

Edit: I'm really trying not to sound defensive about my ignorance but I don't know how to better articulate that in text :\

Edit 2 for rando anecdote: Juneteenth was a special kind of holiday for Texas jails, and instead of normal meals, we got stereotypical meals like collared greens, chicken and waffles, other awkwardly chosen foods.

I mean... what do you think the other 12 confederate states did? Release their slaves out of altruism? Juneteenth started in Texas but it's a thing because Texas was the last slave state to be occupied. It's the celebration of the date the emancipation proclamation went from words to enforced in all 13 confederate states. It's the day nowhere in the US was slavery allowed. We've got some modern poo poo to compare but juneteenth is far more than a Texas thing.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 04:52 on Jun 26, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Gaius Marius posted:

Had a MTN DEW slushie today, can confirm

If humanity had to put together a menu to convince aliens that our species was worth surviving, a Baja Blast slushie would absolutely be included.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

New England is more liberal than the Netherlands, weed is legal and you can get an abortion without a limit or doctor's approval

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Not only is pineapple good on pizza- it perfectly compliments the ranch/habanero sauce dunking combo you should be using.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i don't find many food combinations gross but i just found out the new girl at work dunks her cheese sandwiches in her cup of tea

that in itself is strange and kinda gross enough but the fact she puts SIX teaspoons of sugar into the tea makes it worse

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i don't find many food combinations gross but i just found out the new girl at work dunks her cheese sandwiches in her cup of tea

that in itself is strange and kinda gross enough but the fact she puts SIX teaspoons of sugar into the tea makes it worse

:barf:

Black tea : a small dash of milk if you're feeling indulgent, a spot of honey and lemon if youve got a sore throat, otherwise no additives

No sugar, wtf, let alone two goddamned tablespoons

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

sephiRoth IRA posted:

:barf:

Black tea : a small dash of milk if you're feeling indulgent, a spot of honey and lemon if youve got a sore throat, otherwise no additives

No sugar, wtf, let alone two goddamned tablespoons

im very much a fan of a 0.5 teaspoon of sugar just to impart a tiny bit of sweetness, 2 tablespoons is extreme

black tea and black coffee are pretty vile tbh, i think they are just excuses for those of us in society who are lactose intolerant (babies)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

JollyBoyJohn posted:

im very much a fan of a 0.5 teaspoon of sugar just to impart a tiny bit of sweetness, 2 tablespoons is extreme

black tea and black coffee are pretty vile tbh, i think they are just excuses for those of us in society who are lactose intolerant (babies)

babies are typically lactose tolerant.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Eurovision song contest isn't that good. Also banning Russia was good, not for humanitarian reasons but because just slamming the Red Army Chorus singing Kalinka and Katyusha and poo poo into events is not fair. No poo poo Russia, we get it, you have mastered the all-male choir.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Eurovision in America is just insufferable people ironically listening to trash music. And most importantly then never shutting the gently caress up about it.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Part of the appeal of fantasy is exploring different worlds with different methods of being. People in fantasy worlds shouldn’t have the same worldview and morals as modern people and to demand that do is deeply silly

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

thetoughestbean posted:

Part of the appeal of fantasy is exploring different worlds with different methods of being. People in fantasy worlds shouldn’t have the same worldview and morals as modern people and to demand that do is deeply silly

A... are we still talking about Eurovision?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

adhuin posted:

Yes.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

They shouldn't have the same morals per sat, but including bigotry because "that's how it was back then" is also nonsense. The average LGBT+ individual would probably have had a better time in a whole load of other time periods instead of the imaginery medieval period that exists in people's brains.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

adhuin posted:

Probably should have posted a PHUO:, huh

Josef bugman posted:

They shouldn't have the same morals per sat, but including bigotry because "that's how it was back then" is also nonsense. The average LGBT+ individual would probably have had a better time in a whole load of other time periods instead of the imaginery medieval period that exists in people's brains.

I’m not saying that it should be Bigotry Simulator 1322, but people should be able to accept that a different world and culture is going to have different thoughts on things than an Anglophone from 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I'm sorry but Lennon was the best Beatle by a large margin

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

thetoughestbean posted:

Probably should have posted a PHUO:, huh

I’m not saying that it should be Bigotry Simulator 1322, but people should be able to accept that a different world and culture is going to have different thoughts on things than an Anglophone from 2022

Bioshock Infinite tried to walk this delicate line and totally ate poo poo before the landing, though the scifi part was cool

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Analytic Engine posted:

Bioshock Infinite tried to walk this delicate line and totally ate poo poo before the landing, though the scifi part was cool

infinites story was stupid and dumb in a great way that only really videogames can get away with

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The fascists and the popular movement are equally bad, ps here's your manic pixie dream girl in case the gunfights didn't get you hard enough?

That game sucks so hard. Bad gaùeplay and frankly uncomfortable plot.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Your opinion is correct, but it's not terribly unpopular.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah it's not even close, especially so with the solo work

Powered Descent posted:

Your opinion is correct, but it's not terribly unpopular.

I dunno most people like to say Paul wrote the best Beatles songs and Harrison had the best solo stuff, but really Lennon was best at both

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
The Beatles suck poo poo. Like yeah, clearly they're are popular and objectively they must be good, but all the Beatles songs sound like samey sing-song bullshit.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Regardless of how you feel about their quality, "samey" is an outrageous claim to make about the Beatles.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

sephiRoth IRA posted:

but all the Beatles songs sound like samey sing-song bullshit.

Have you ever like, actually heard the Beatles?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

The Beatles aren't bad per se, but they are definitely the world's most overrated band and it's not even close. There were better musicians then and there are plenty of better musicians today

Every single ounce of Beatles zombie commercial success past Let It Be is owed to boomer nostalgia

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The two most tedious musical opinions one could have are "the Beatles are the greatest band of all time" and "the Beatles actually suck"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

sephiRoth IRA posted:

The Beatles suck poo poo. Like yeah, clearly they're are popular and objectively they must be good, but all the Beatles songs sound like samey sing-song bullshit.

Lol that's not an unpopular opinion that's just being objectively wrong.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

The two most tedious musical opinions one could have are "the Beatles are the greatest band of all time" and "the Beatles actually suck"

For real. I have never met a die hard Beatles fan that wasn't at least mildly disturbing, and on the flipside I've never met someone who claims they suck who wasn't clearly an idiot.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Puritanism gets a bad rap, there was some cool stuff in there, main bad thing was the genocidal intolerance of catholics and quakers, but thats just 17th century thought

FishBulbia has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jun 28, 2022

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Personally Held Unpopular Beatles Opinion: their best song was Eleanor Rigby.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The vanilla fudge cover is better

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

FishBulbia posted:

Puritanism gets a bad rap, there was some cool stuff in there, main bad thing was the genocidal intolerance of catholics and quakers, but thats just 17th century thought

There were reasons why decent people of the era would be excited about Puritanism, yes, although I find the way it so severely limited what its practitioners were allowed to do to be pretty bad

It’s still better than Calvinism, gently caress Calvinism and gently caress Calvin. I spit when I say his name

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

thetoughestbean posted:

There were reasons why decent people of the era would be excited about Puritanism, yes, although I find the way it so severely limited what its practitioners were allowed to do to be pretty bad

It’s still better than Calvinism, gently caress Calvinism and gently caress Calvin. I spit when I say his name

I think the radical edge who believed in republicanism, common ownership of land, and public education for men and women would be seen as basically godless antifa by the religious right today

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My wife goes to greek orthodox church now, and my jewish opinion is they are they one true faith by virtue of having the best food and nicest grandmas every sunday. I do not miss the Moscow Patriarchate.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

thetoughestbean posted:

gently caress Calvin. I spit when I say his name

but that's my name :(

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

credburn posted:

but that's my name :(

If I don’t spit then I’m talking about someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

thetoughestbean posted:

How do you mean? A lot of Anglophone "thoughts" do not seem all that different from people across time or the globe. Like in the case of Glorantha you have it where a culture have "Violence is always an option", but when you examine it that seemingly horrific sentiment is also similar to how a lot of our political ideals function in reality.