Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Taishi Ci posted:

It's not witch-queens, but I'll take a stab at the passage on the "Five Kings of Wa" from the Book of Liu-Song:
Do we know what/where "Wa" is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Wa is Japan, like the original name before they started calling it Nippon/Nihon, I think. It means "land of harmony" or something like that. Specifically southern Japan I assume.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Wa is just generically Japan. Yamatai, Himiko’s kingdom / the most important part of Wa, had a big debate surrounding where it’s actual location was until the 2000s, but is now pretty firmly thought to have been near the later capitals in the center of the country.

Alhazred posted:

Seems to me that they kept her locked up and killed everyone that knew after her death.

I think I wrote about this in more depth a while ago, but while this was basically the traditional idea, there’s been some pushback against this interpretation, or the often-advanced idea her brother was the one with real power — the same exact language (about seclusion) is used to describe a number of later Japanese (male) emperors that are interpreted as holding a lot more power.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

FFT posted:

Context was how the Predators (of Predator [1987] fame) use a segmented LCD numeral/alphabet system where each digit/letter is a vertical pair of asterisks:

This seems like the thread to ask: how (im)practical would/could a segmented LCD version of cuneiform be?

Someone earlier in the thread posted a diagram showing how the cuneiform symbols changed over time as different languages adapted it for different mediums.
So while it would be impractical to make a segmented LCD that displayed the characters precisely as they appear there, consider how stylised roman characters are depicted on our segmented displays. I am confident it would be possible to come up with a font that someone who read cuneiform could tolerate.
There's no magical formula for working out how many segments you'd need though, it's a much more artistic process than that.
Here is a fun video on someone designing segment displays that you can kind of extrapolate the process for other languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTB5XhjbgZA

Also keep in mind that Chinese characters are far too complex and just use dot matrix displays instead, so that is always an option.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

That was the specific video I had in mind about the dififculties of segmented displays actually lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Medenmath posted:

Wa is Japan, like the original name before they started calling it Nippon/Nihon, I think. It means "land of harmony" or something like that. Specifically southern Japan I assume.

The character 和 read “Wa” in modern Japanese means “harmony”. The original character the Chinese used, 倭 also read “Wa” means “bowed, bent” or even “dwarf”. You can see why they changed it.

Wa refers to the entirety of Japan—the Chinese recognized there were different “countries” within it: Himiko’s Yamatai was the one they found most significant, but obviously was not a highly organized state controlling the whole archipelago or anything.

Koramei posted:

I think I wrote about this in more depth a while ago, but while this was basically the traditional idea, there’s been some pushback against this interpretation, or the often-advanced idea her brother was the one with real power — the same exact language (about seclusion) is used to describe a number of later Japanese (male) emperors that are interpreted as holding a lot more power.

Given that she gained the throne by what sounds like demagogic popular acclaim after a long period of civil strife, isolating herself from the public and letting everyone know she had sorcerous powers sounds like an attempt at a safe bet. For a vaguely contemporary comparison you can look at the ritualized theatrics and rear end-kissing of the tetrarchic court of Diocletian, a fairly obvious reaction to his own upstart origins.

skasion fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 28, 2022

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Taishi Ci posted:

It's not witch-queens, but I'll take a stab at the passage on the "Five Kings of Wa" from the Book of Liu-Song:

“General Who Conquers The Caitiffs” is such a good title

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
At what point does the major kingdom in Japan stop being a tributary to the Chinese Empire? I tried a bit of a wiki dive but didn't get anywhere very quickly. In these posts they are kings and queens, and around 600 CE there's an Emperor of Japan (I think?), what happens in between?

Taishi Ci
Apr 12, 2015
The passages on Wa that appear in the Book of Jin, the Book of Southern Qi, and the Book of Liang are mostly just repeating the information found in the Records of the Three Kingdoms, but the Book of Liang does have some extra items of interest:

quote:

有獸如牛,名山鼠;又有大蛇吞此獸。蛇皮堅不可斫,其上有孔,乍開乍閉,時或有光,射之中,蛇則死矣。

In Wa they have beasts which are like cows, called mountain mice; they also have great serpents which can swallow up these beasts. The serpents have skin so tough that it cannot be chopped, and on top of them is an orifice which they can swiftly open or close and which sometimes glows; if one shoots an arrow into it, then the serpent dies.

高祖卽位,進武號征東將軍。

After Emperor Wu came to the throne, he promoted Bu to General Who Conquers The East.

其南有侏儒國,人長三四尺。又南黑齒國、裸國,去倭四千餘里,船行可一年至。又西南萬里有海人,身黑眼白,裸而醜。其肉美,行者或射而食之。

To the south of Wa is the Land of the Pygmies, where the people are but three or four feet tall. Also to the south are the Land of the Black Teeth and the Land of the Nude; they are more than four thousand li (about 1,500 miles) from Wa, and the journey there by boat can take a year. And ten thousand li (about 3,500 miles) off to the southwest are the People of the Sea; they have black bodies and white eyes, and they wear no clothes and have an ugly appearance, but their flesh is delicious, and travelers sometimes shoot and eat them.

文身國,在倭國東北七千餘里。人體有文如獸,其額上有三文,文直者貴,文小者賤。土俗歡樂,物豊而賤,行客不齎糧。有屋宇,無城郭。其王所居,飾以金銀珍麗。繞屋爲緌,廣一丈,實以水銀,雨則流于水銀之上。市用珍寶。犯輕罪者則鞭杖;犯死罪則置猛獸食之,有枉則猛獸避而不食,經宿則赦之。

The Land of the Patterned People is more than seven thousand li (about 2,000 miles) northeast of Wa. The people there have bodies with patterns like beasts, and three written characters emerge on their foreheads; those whose characters are most clearly discernable are regarded as prestigious while those whose characters are small are considered lowly. They are a carefree and satisfied people by manner and custom; there is such abundance among them that anything can be had for cheap, when traveling or staying elsewhere they do not take provisions with them, and though they live in buildings and houses their settlements have no inner or outer walls. The residence of their king is adorned with gold, silver, and other fine and flashy items. They wrap their homes with cords, one zhang in width, and fill it with mercury; when it rains, the water flows on top of the mercury. They use precious treasures to barter in the marketplace. For criminals, those guilty of a lesser offense are whipped or beaten, while those guilty of a capital offense are placed among wild beasts to be eaten; if the person is actually innocent, the wild beasts will shun them and not eat them, and after having passed the night in their presence, the person is pardoned.

大漢國在文身國東五千餘里,無兵戈,不攻戰,風俗並與文身國同而言語異。

The state of Dahan is more than five thousand li (about 2,000 miles) east of the Land of the Patterned People. They have no weapons or arms, and they do not fight or battle. Their traditions and customs are the same as those of the Patterned People, but their language is different.

Taishi Ci fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jun 28, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Splode posted:

At what point does the major kingdom in Japan stop being a tributary to the Chinese Empire? I tried a bit of a wiki dive but didn't get anywhere very quickly. In these posts they are kings and queens, and around 600 CE there's an Emperor of Japan (I think?), what happens in between?

I feel like you're asking two different questions. Japan as a tributary to China is something that's going to ebb and flow over time, because its largely going to be a question of China's power projection. For the most part Japan was not really in a sustained tributary relationship with China: the more sustained relationship from the Chinese side was to view Japan as a haven for pirates, not exactly a group easy to negotiate with or treat well. There's definitely quite a lot of variation, but the default is less "tributary" and more, IDK, dismissal.

600s CE is still very early in Japanese history. The usual chronology is that Japan has a pottery neolithic age (Jomon period) from 14,000 to 300 BCE, then there's a bronze age period where we have no real political information about from 300BCE to 300CE called the Yayoi (these are the first to show up in Chinese records), then we enter the Yamato period sometime around 250CE and there's the Kofun period (which has some history but I mean we named the period after a type of tomb, we're VERY reliant on archaeology for tor this one) and Asuka periods as subdivisions of that. In 703CE there's a big reform that turns the kings into an Imperial Household.

Medenmath posted:

To get a little more into it, it's an exonym (not unlike "Japan"). The Wei used 倭國 (wakoku, koku being just "country" like in China 中國, so Wa is the Japan-specific element). 倭 is a homophone of 和, peaceful and is still used a lot in a lot of Japanese contemporary stuff, for example 和装 "wafuku" - Japanese clothing (as opposed to like suits), 和食 "washoku" - Japanese cuisine (as opposed to pizzas). Current Japanese imperial era is 令和, "reiwa", and the period that milhist nerds are going to be very familiar with was 昭和, "showa" (the Showa period was very long but importantly includes all of WW2).

The endonym that Japan used before 日本 "nihon" was 大和, which bear with me is not pronounced "daiwa" but "yamato." Kanji pronunciations are a nightmare.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Tulip posted:

he endonym that Japan used before 日本 "nihon" was 大和, which bear with me is not pronounced "daiwa" but "yamato." Kanji pronunciations are a nightmare.

This right here is one of two reasons I gave up taking Japanese in college. Reading your sentence I was smirking at thinking I knew how to pronounce "daiwa," then finished your sentence and my eye twitched.

The other reason I gave up was my instructor knowing I did the stroke order wrong on a 20+ stroke character without watching me write it. gently caress

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
And here I thought taking putonghua as a "fun" class was dumb.

Now I somehow have an associate's in History but cannot form a sentence in putonghua, let alone write a character in hanzi.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Jun 28, 2022

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

TipTow posted:

This right here is one of two reasons I gave up taking Japanese in college. Reading your sentence I was smirking at thinking I knew how to pronounce "daiwa," then finished your sentence and my eye twitched.

The other reason I gave up was my instructor knowing I did the stroke order wrong on a 20+ stroke character without watching me write it. gently caress

Haha got'em

I actually love kanji and it kept me going for 6 years of studying Japanese and when I took Chinese I full on would have failed if I didn't love the characters (I failed literally every spoken test lolol), but I cannot pretend for even a second that it is easy or intuitive.

The example I've used in the past to illustrate this is 下, which for the most part means "down" or "below." On its own it is pronounced "shita," and can be used in compound words like 下着 "shitagi" underwear. However, the most common way you run into it is as the "kuda" in 下さい"kudasai," which weebs may recognize as "please" but is the imperative of the verb 下さる "kudasaru." "Shimo" is another common pronunciation, such as in the city 下関市 "Shimonoseki," and this pronunciation has a baffling array of uses, meaning anything from "lower" to "downriver" to "away from Tokyo" to "genitals." And just to wrap up sometimes it is "ge," "ka," or "moto." Have fun!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

quote:

. And ten thousand li (about 3,500 miles) off to the southwest are the People of the Sea; they have black bodies and white eyes, and they wear no clothes and have an ugly appearance, but their flesh is delicious, and travelers sometimes shoot and eat them

:stonk:

Who are these apparently delicious humans?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

The serpents have skin so tough that it cannot be chopped, and on top of them is an orifice which they can swiftly open or close and which sometimes glows; if one shoots an arrow into it, then the serpent dies.

This is actually based on historical records from ancient Japan... now we have this giant enemy snake here, and you have to attack its weak point for massige damage.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I believe that is in reference to Godzilla

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

feedmegin posted:

Melanesians presumably? Though it's such an insane and horrible thing to casually mention that it feels like it fits with the more obviously made up distant lands stuff around it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was thinking a flavorful ape of some sort

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Yeah I think it's more likely some kind of tasty monkey and that got lost in translation.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Or you know racism meant that flavorful ape and long pork got mixed up

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Splode posted:

Also keep in mind that Chinese characters are far too complex and just use dot matrix displays instead, so that is always an option.

God those dot matrix displays for hanzi are often awful though. Especially some of the traditional characters are just an unreadable mess.

TipTow posted:

Hanzi is so much easier than kanji. Characters have one reading, that's it. I saw a couple with two but that was rare.

Of course, there is the other side where the language is entirely homophones so there are like 150 characters that are "shi". Tones don't narrow it down all that much, and good luck when you live in Sichuan where tones are uh, flexible.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Or you know racism meant that flavorful ape and long pork got mixed up
I'm not sure it's even necessarily racism, I know orangutans' name came from a term meaning pretty much directly 'man of the forest.' They also thought orangutans were actually perfectly capable of understanding and using speech but did not do so, lest they be expected to work.

Of course that is a great deal south of Japan/China/etc.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Nessus posted:

I'm not sure it's even necessarily racism, I know orangutans' name came from a term meaning pretty much directly 'man of the forest.' They also thought orangutans were actually perfectly capable of understanding and using speech but did not do so, lest they be expected to work.

Of course that is a great deal south of Japan/China/etc.

Well the text said 3,500 miles to the south west of Japan, which is pretty much where Indonesia actually is. So maybe they are talking about orangutans. It seems significantly more plausible than travelers casually commiting cannibalism.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Orangutans aren’t black, and it seems hard to believe someone would mention them without calling attention to the fact that they’re covered in hair.

Also wouldn’t the ancient Chinese have known what orangutans were? I’m positive there’s Classical Chinese word for ape and idk what other apes they would have known about if not orangutans.

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 28, 2022

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

skasion posted:

Orangutans aren’t black, and it seems hard to believe someone would mention them without calling attention to the fact that they’re covered in hair.

Also wouldn’t the ancient Chinese have known what orangutans were? I’m positive there’s Classical Chinese word for ape and idk what other apes they would have known about if not orangutans.

Orangutans do have black skin under that hair though. To me the account sort of reads like Herodotus, where things are being repeated that have details left out or have been misinterpreted. It just seems like a more likely explanation than human cannibalism.

Also yeah, ancient Chinese might have known about orangutans, but maybe not. Asia is really big and China is like 5,000 km from Indonesia. In a time before widespread knowledge and information someone might have seen drawings, or heard stories that have changed through a string of different tellings, but I doubt they saw very many live specimens. In a similar vein, the Carthaginians thought gorillas were a type of savage people initially, and Carthage is a similar distance from where Hanno the Navigator is presumed to have encountered them in western Africa. It's not outlandish to me to believe the same sort of misunderstanding is what's happening in the story above.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Orangutans do have black skin under that hair though. To me the account sort of reads like Herodotus, where things are being repeated that have details left out or have been misinterpreted. It just seems like a more likely explanation than human cannibalism.

It's not exactly unknown for sailors and explorers to resort to cannibalism when they get hungry enough. The implication that travelers (from Japan?) are deliberately going out of their way to hunt the People of the Sea like animals and eating them goes beyond that and is certainly horrifying, but that could be an exaggerated extrapolation from one or two actual incidents of cannibalism.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Another thing that I find puzzling: "they are more than four thousand li (about 1,500 miles) from Wa, and the journey there by boat can take a year." That's a pretty slow boat trip; with a speed of two knots, it only would take about a month to make a voyage like that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

Another thing that I find puzzling: "they are more than four thousand li (about 1,500 miles) from Wa, and the journey there by boat can take a year." That's a pretty slow boat trip; with a speed of two knots, it only would take about a month to make a voyage like that.
I imagine it was coast-hugging and might not have been sailing at night, which would increase that figure a lot

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Well the text said 3,500 miles to the south west of Japan, which is pretty much where Indonesia actually is. So maybe they are talking about orangutans. It seems significantly more plausible than travelers casually commiting cannibalism.

What’s wrong with cannablism? Eating foreigners is no big deal and shouldn’t impact much.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

feedmegin posted:

Orcas. They don't wear any clothing, live in the sea. and have black skin with white 'eyes'.

They are also less sexy than manatees other mermaids.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Nessus posted:

I imagine it was coast-hugging and might not have been sailing at night, which would increase that figure a lot

Maybe. My surprise at the timeframe is based on the figures given in this article: https://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Journals/TAPA/82/Speed_under_Sail_of_Ancient_Ships*.html

But it's possible that, e.g., voyages take a lot longer in the Pacific than in the Mediterranean; I'm not a expert in this sort of thing by any means.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You're dealing with a larger body of water although there are abundant coastlines and more little islands that would probably be fine for 'ok we need to wait out this storm' or 'ok let's anchor near this place for the night' purposes. You also do get periodic typhoons and such.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Given the author's obvious unfamiliarity with the place, it's also possible that he heard some traveler complaining "one time it took us a full year" and jotted that down as a reasonable estimate of trip length, instead of griping about one disastrous voyage.

e: and possibly second or third hand griping if he didn't talk to anyone who had been there themself

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The cannabalism taboo was pretty strong in classical China. Not sure what that says about this text.

Like if a text says someone boiled and ate a prisoner it's definitely meant to portray them as an insane sadist.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Splode posted:

Someone earlier in the thread posted a diagram showing how the cuneiform symbols changed over time as different languages adapted it for different mediums.
So while it would be impractical to make a segmented LCD that displayed the characters precisely as they appear there, consider how stylised roman characters are depicted on our segmented displays. I am confident it would be possible to come up with a font that someone who read cuneiform could tolerate.
There's no magical formula for working out how many segments you'd need though, it's a much more artistic process than that.
Here is a fun video on someone designing segment displays that you can kind of extrapolate the process for other languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTB5XhjbgZA

Cuneiform was basically ideographic, or at least semi-ideographic (although also semi-phonetic). The complete character set was about 1,000. So a lot fewer than Chinese, but still far more than you could reasonably represent using a segmented LCD. Like, check out the Unicode page: https://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U12000.pdf

I'm pretty sure you would have to fall back to the dot-matrix solution.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

The cannabalism taboo was pretty strong in classical China. Not sure what that says about this text.

Like if a text says someone boiled and ate a prisoner it's definitely meant to portray them as an insane sadist.

Everyone is anti-cannabilism until you get really hungry.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I don't know how this thread is on the ethics of ancient coins, so maybe I'll get poo poo on for this. But my logic is, I wouldn't buy most artifacts that have any actual value, they should be in a museum, but when it comes to Roman coins from everything I've heard they're loving everywhere because the Roman empire was massive. Most have almost no real value and if they end up in a museum they're just kept with the thousands of others in a box somewhere in storage unless there's something special about one. So when it comes to Roman coins, ehh whatever I don't feel too bad about getting one.

So I got one, which was really hard to get shipped to China and I honestly expected customs to steal it, because that's a thing here and I thought they'd be like "drat, silver, this is getting 'seized'" but I really wanted it for sentimental reasons (obviously, since it's Marcus Aurelius, this is all about Stoicism to me.)

So, my denarius, ~171CE Marcus Aurelius on the front, Roma on the back holding Victory and a spear.

Just thought I'd share here maybe someone would think it's cool.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Dope coin. I haven’t made the jump into silver yet myself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Coinage is a funny thing since in both ancient and modern times, currency is a tricky thing to deal with as a country and an individual. It takes a certain level of resources and organisation to be able to mint currency after all. (and now I want to play Civ again...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BrainDance posted:

I don't know how this thread is on the ethics of ancient coins, so maybe I'll get poo poo on for this. But my logic is, I wouldn't buy most artifacts that have any actual value, they should be in a museum, but when it comes to Roman coins from everything I've heard they're loving everywhere because the Roman empire was massive. Most have almost no real value and if they end up in a museum they're just kept with the thousands of others in a box somewhere in storage unless there's something special about one. So when it comes to Roman coins, ehh whatever I don't feel too bad about getting one.

So I got one, which was really hard to get shipped to China and I honestly expected customs to steal it, because that's a thing here and I thought they'd be like "drat, silver, this is getting 'seized'" but I really wanted it for sentimental reasons (obviously, since it's Marcus Aurelius, this is all about Stoicism to me.)

So, my denarius, ~171CE Marcus Aurelius on the front, Roma on the back holding Victory and a spear.

Just thought I'd share here maybe someone would think it's cool.
I believe especially for Roman coins, once they've been dug up by archeologists and duly noted for purposes of dating adjacent objects and so on, they're completely kosher to purchase. They sell them in museums in Italy, I think. For some reason there's a lot of Roman stuff in Italy.

Of course, I'd prefer to purchase them from a museum or something myself, just because that way the money goes to them instead of some coin scalper. There's also a thread in SA mart selling them! Though it's a goon's hobby so stock is very sporadic.