Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even paleolithic people could travel extensively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Haven’t they found remains of Japanese people dating to Rome in Italy?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's some question about how effectively you can pinpoint, but yes, there's a body discovered at an imperial estate in Vagnari who seems to be Japanese or at least have matrilineal Japanese descent. https://www.researchgate.net/public...ari_South_Italy is the paper if you can access it. I found it in the wild once ages ago but don't have it anymore. For sure East Asian, there have been more than a few people from East Asia identified in Roman graves.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

People love traveling it’s not really mind blowing

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Jazerus posted:

late antiquity saw a serious rise in bigotry which was very unusual in the context of earlier roman attitudes. the only major figure i can think of that faced stilicho-like scorn for "barbarian origins" before that era is maximinus thrax - the historia augusta goes into great detail about what a huge, brutish, awful thracian he was - but that kind of strikes me as throwing every bit of scorn possible onto the guy who precipitated the Crisis, just one more excuse to think of him as one of the shittiest emperors ever by indulging in the greek stereotype of thracians.

I've known of the growing xenophobia of late antiquity, but I've never read even an attempt at an explanation for it. Is there much written on the topic?

Grand Fromage posted:

It was reasonably common. The military of course was a way a lot of people did a lot of travel (not just men but their families/camp followers too), lots and lots of long distance trade, and there was a robust tourist infrastructure in many areas. Depending on what you're considering long distance of course. We know the major arena circuits in Italy scheduled games so they wouldn't conflict with each other because lots of people would see gladiator matches in Rome, then head down to Pompeii to watch games there too, then off to somewhere else. And then there was plenty of internal migration which is being confirmed by things like analyzing tooth enamel. It was at all unusual for someone to be born in Spain, move to Africa as an adult, move again to Illyria or wherever.

Most people didn't get around that much, but most people don't today either. Especially for premodern people Romans got around quite a bit.

Related to my above question, perhaps the breakdown of the internal trade network plays a role? People began interacting with "others" less and less, hence becoming more fearful of them?

euphronius posted:

People love traveling it’s not really mind blowing

An East Asian person being buried in ancient Apulia is pretty fascinating, actually.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

There's some question about how effectively you can pinpoint, but yes, there's a body discovered at an imperial estate in Vagnari who seems to be Japanese or at least have matrilineal Japanese descent. https://www.researchgate.net/public...ari_South_Italy is the paper if you can access it. I found it in the wild once ages ago but don't have it anymore. For sure East Asian, there have been more than a few people from East Asia identified in Roman graves.

I find that interesting because as far as I’m aware, Roman geographers weren’t even aware of the existence of Japan; even their knowledge of China was vague enough that the exact referents of “Serica” and “the Sinae” are still a matter of some dispute.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TipTow posted:

I've known of the growing xenophobia of late antiquity, but I've never read even an attempt at an explanation for it. Is there much written on the topic?

Related to my above question, perhaps the breakdown of the internal trade network plays a role? People began interacting with "others" less and less, hence becoming more fearful of them?

I don't know of any good explanations, it surely is multi factor. I know breakdown of the trade network isn't one though, that doesn't really happen until the 500s and the late antique xenophobia started centuries before.

Not to go full Gibbon but I think Christianity is one of the factors--the change in religious outlook from an expansive, inclusive set of beliefs to a single, exclusive doctrine would naturally have had ripple effects through the culture. I don't think it's a complete explanation though.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't know of any good explanations, it surely is multi factor. I know breakdown of the trade network isn't one though, that doesn't really happen until the 500s and the late antique xenophobia started centuries before.

Not to go full Gibbon but I think Christianity is one of the factors--the change in religious outlook from an expansive, inclusive set of beliefs to a single, exclusive doctrine would naturally have had ripple effects through the culture. I don't think it's a complete explanation though.

I was under the impression that internal trade began to decrease dramatically beginning with the 3rd century fun times, perhaps "break down" was too strong a term? Or am I mistaken totally?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

christianity certainly plays a role because there is a distinctly ethnic component to certain divisions within imperial christianity which eventually became full-blown schisms between orthodox christians and heretical varieties. germans, for example, were quite likely to be arians because arian missionaries went to germania

mediterranean trade definitely never quite recovered from the crisis, but breakdown is maybe a strong term, yeah.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There's also been a lot of more recent work suggesting the 300s were a much stronger time than used to be thought. I don't have a reference offhand but anything written about late antiquity in the past ten years will probably talk about it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The 300 were the strongest.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The 300 were the strongest.

not to be a boeotian about it, but,

no

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

301 is stronger

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
301 Dalmatians

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Parmenides posted:

You are funny, but be serious. When I walk the Elysian fields, Spartans will eagerly flock to my side.
Who are you kidding, everyone knows gimmick posters go to hell (except Oldpainless).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Magis sicut Vetus Non Dolor

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Silver2195 posted:

I find that interesting because as far as I’m aware, Roman geographers weren’t even aware of the existence of Japan; even their knowledge of China was vague enough that the exact referents of “Serica” and “the Sinae” are still a matter of some dispute.

I don't think this fact stands in opposition to the idea of a few people traveling from there and ending up in Rome. Imagine trying to describe the journey from Japan, or even eastern China, to Rome without a single map to refer to. You're ultimately a stranger from a place very, very far away, much too far to practically trade with or establish relations, and trying to tease out more detail than that might not be considered worth the effort except to Herodotus.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

It’s the collapse of the senatorial order as an “international” elite within the empire imo. The Antonine age governments are dominated by these intermarried senatorial families who hail from all over the empire geographically, but who share a common elite culture and common interests, and who all know each other by repute if not personally. Certainly this system had its drawbacks. But it represented a centralizing force that drew imperial government together. Severus puts the clamps on the senate because, as he well knew having usurped the throne through military contest, senators with armies are dangerous. He inaugurates an age where provincial equestrian officers are put in high positions. Then a generation after his dynasty collapses, the central authority weakens with the disaster of Valerian’s defeat by Shapur, and the military frontiers of the empire suddenly spin apart from the center into regionalized power blocs that don’t acknowledge direct imperial control. That can’t be a coincidence. Control of the military and the government devolved increasingly from a few hundreds of hyper-rich, hyper-aristocratic guys who shared a corporate identity and all married each other’s sisters, to many thousands of less rich, less aristocratic guys who considered themselves to be playing for what they themselves could get.

There’s a later branch of more specifically anti-northern-barbarian xenophobia which does have something to do with Arianism, but I think it runs the other way. The xenophobia came first and THEN the schismatism became an issue. The Arian Goths, for example, were converted at a time when Arian doctrine was closer to the Constantinopolitan party line. it was only subsequent development within imperial religious politics which left Arians out in the cold. Ammianus’ account of the lead-up to the Adrianople campaign suggests that Christianity was seen as a mediating force between Romans and barbarians in the 4th century. But the direct experience of the Gothic wars, and the progressive alienation of territory to more or less Romanized barbarian leaders in the 5th century, must have hardened a lot of attitudes.

Past a certain point, Roman leaders were forced to confront the fact that they couldn’t establish the kind of imperial dominance over barbarians that they felt was their right. Zosimus tells us that the guy who complained that Stilicho paying off Alaric to go away was not peace, but rather servitude, was compelled to seek sanctuary (in a church) because Stilicho would have taken it out on him otherwise. While from our distance we can look back and say that Stilicho was as Roman as any of them, to the snobbish Italian nobility of the time this situation must have seemed awfully like one barbarian general using his control of the imperial family to buy favors from other barbarian generals.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Grand Fromage posted:

There's probably a really decent chunk of individuals with similar stories, that kind of testing doesnt get done too often, especially if the burial is realtively inconspicuous.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Kylaer posted:

I don't think this fact stands in opposition to the idea of a few people traveling from there and ending up in Rome. Imagine trying to describe the journey from Japan, or even eastern China, to Rome without a single map to refer to. You're ultimately a stranger from a place very, very far away, much too far to practically trade with or establish relations, and trying to tease out more detail than that might not be considered worth the effort except to Herodotus.

Yeah, and even if this Japanese traveler did describe their journeys, it wouldn't necessarily be transcribed by the Roman historians that we have access to. It would be a pretty niche topic, despite how interesting it is to us now. Roman trade networks reached to eastern India and some were aware of regions like the Gulf of Thailand, but the people who would know most about it (Roman merchant captains) weren't the ones chatting with famous writers.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jun 27, 2022

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Roman glass made it to Japan, as well. The ancient world was very interconnected due to maritime trade much as we are today.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When I was younger I thought the most interesting part of history was how different and "exotic" other cultures were in the past.

I think as I've gotten older the more interesting it is how much human beings haven't changed at all.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I find the half scientific belief systems that half work are very fascinating. Like Egyptians and Babylonians knowing that Taurus in the sky meant spring was coming, because life is linked to sacred cows. Or people thinking shellfish are cursed. It's like society collectively used its intuitions before it could collectively understand what was up.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

you could more or less piece together what the travel was like from japan to rome by looking at ancient east asian sources talking about the journey from, say, eastern china to india. the rest of the journey was likely done on a merchant ship straight from india to egypt and travel from there would have been essentially the same as any other roman traveling around the empire

not to say it wouldn't be a fascinating story, because it would be; and indeed there is an account in chinese historical records of an envoy sent to "Da Qin", i.e. rome, via a similar route that went up the persian gulf instead and ultimately ended with the envoy talking to the governor of syria

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
You could piece it together the entire way, there’s a Chinese account of the journey from Korea to Japan too!

As for nobody in the Roman world having written a record of the land these foreigners came from, aside from just the usual passage of time, it’s worth emphasizing that Japan was really a non-entity in this period. People thinking of premodern Japan as any kind of peer to premodern China is one of my bugbears in general, but during classical antiquity that’s truer by an order of magnitude. It would not have been notable.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Koramei posted:

You could piece it together the entire way, there’s a Chinese account of the journey from Korea to Japan too!

As for nobody in the Roman world having written a record of the land these foreigners came from, aside from just the usual passage of time, it’s worth emphasizing that Japan was really a non-entity in this period. People thinking of premodern Japan as any kind of peer to premodern China is one of my bugbears in general, but during classical antiquity that’s truer by an order of magnitude. It would not have been notable.
Yeah, this is like... pre-Heian. I'm not sure they would have even had Chinese writing at the time.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/Rainmaker1973/status/1540980347847974912

Cool.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Nessus posted:

Yeah, this is like... pre-Heian. I'm not sure they would have even had Chinese writing at the time.

Probably only on material goods and stuff they got directly from China. Certainly Chinese chars were not being actively widely used to render Japanese language. The closest thing we have to Japanese history we have contemporaneous to the Roman principate are asides in Chinese histories about how some lady called Himiko became witch-queen of the shortass eastern barbarians

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
wanna hear about himiko

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

wanna hear about himiko

She became witch-queen of the shortass eastern barbarians and…apparently did a pretty good job.

Records of the Three Kingdoms posted:

The country [of Wa] formerly had a man as ruler. For some seventy or eighty years after that there were disturbances and warfare. Thereupon the people agreed upon a woman for their ruler. Her name was Himiko. She occupied herself with magic and sorcery, bewitching the people. Though mature in age, she remained unmarried. She had a younger brother who assisted her in ruling the country. After she became the ruler, there were few who saw her. She had one thousand women as attendants, but only one man. He served her food and drink and acted as a medium of communication. She resided in a palace surrounded by towers and stockades, with armed guards in a state of constant vigilance.

When Himiko passed away, a great mound was raised, more than a hundred paces in diameter. Over a hundred male and female attendants followed her to the grave. Then a king was placed on the throne, but the people would not obey him. Assassination and murder followed; more than one thousand were thus slain. A relative of Himiko named Iyo, a girl of thirteen, was made queen and order was restored. Chęng [a minor official of one of the Chinese commanderies in Korea] issued a proclamation to the effect that Iyo was the ruler.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Cool.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Witch kings and queens are always getting a bad rap, glad to see someone set the record straight

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nessus posted:

Nope. There's no evidence for writing in Japan until the Kofun period, which is roughly the same time as late antiquity. Legend is it came from Korea along with Confucianism, and what we have from archaeological and written sources pretty much supports that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maybe it's time we give witch-queenocracy a chance.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Nessus posted:

Maybe it's time we give witch-queenocracy a chance.

Hillary gave it a shot but couldn’t bewitch enough people to take power

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wafflecopper posted:

Hillary gave it a shot but couldn’t bewitch enough people to take power

Also she was not officially named a friend of Cao Wei. Big miss on her part

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The real witch Queens keep it secret so as to influence their people subtly

Taishi Ci
Apr 12, 2015
It's not witch-queens, but I'll take a stab at the passage on the "Five Kings of Wa" from the Book of Liu-Song:

quote:

倭國在高驪東南大海中,世修貢職。高祖永初二年,詔曰:「倭讚萬里修貢,遠誠宜甄,可賜除授。」太祖元嘉二年,讚又遣司馬曹達奉表獻方物。讚死,弟珍立,遣使貢獻。自稱使持節、都督倭百濟新羅任那秦韓慕韓六國諸軍事、安東大將軍、倭國王。表求除正,詔除安東將軍、倭國王。珍又求除正倭隋等十三人平西、征虜、冠軍、輔國將軍號,詔並聽。二十年,倭國王濟遣使奉獻,復以為安東將軍、倭國王。二十八年,加使持節、都督倭新羅任那加羅秦韓慕韓六國諸軍事,安東將軍如故。并除所上二十三人軍、郡。濟死,世子興遣使貢獻。世祖大明六年,詔曰:「倭王世子興,奕世載忠,作藩外海,稟化寧境,恭修貢職。新嗣邊業,宜授爵號,可安東將軍、倭國王。」興死,弟武立,自稱使持節、都督倭百濟新羅任那加羅秦韓慕韓七國諸軍事、安東大將軍、倭國王。順帝昇明二年,遣使上表曰:「封國偏遠,作藩于外,自昔祖禰,躬擐甲冑,跋涉山川,不遑寧處。東征毛人五十五國,西服眾夷六十六國,渡平海北九十五國,王道融泰,廓土遐畿,累葉朝宗,不愆于歲。臣雖下愚,忝胤先緒,驅率所統,歸崇天極,道逕百濟,裝治船舫,而句驪無道,圖欲見吞,掠抄邊隸,虔劉不已,每致稽滯,以失良風。雖曰進路,或通或不。臣亡考濟實忿寇讎,壅塞天路,控弦百萬,義聲感激,方欲大舉,奄喪父兄,使垂成之功,不獲一簣。居在諒闇,不動兵甲,是以偃息未捷。至今欲練甲治兵,申父兄之志,義士虎賁,文武效功,白刃交前,亦所不顧。若以帝德覆載,摧此強敵,克靖方難,無替前功。竊自假開府儀同三司,其餘咸各假授,以勸忠節。」詔除武使持節、都督倭新羅任那加羅秦韓慕韓六國諸軍事、安東大將軍、倭王。

The state of Wa is located in the great sea, southeast of Goguryeo. For generations, they have sent tribute and sought appointment to offices (from Chinese dynasties).

In Emperor Wu's second year of Yongchu (421), he issued an edict stating, "Zan (讚) has maintained tribute from ten thousand li away; such distant earnesty is truly exemplary, and it is fitting to permit him the authority to make his own appointments and grants (without first requiring confirmation from the Song court)." In Emperor Wen's second year of Yuanjia (425), Zan also sent his Marshal, Soda (曹達), to offer a petition and to present local products as tribute.

After Zan died, his younger brother Chin (珍) took power, and he sent envoys presenting tribute. Chin declared himself Commissioner Bearing Credentials, Commander of military affairs in Wa, Baekje, Silla, Imna, Qinhan, and Muhan, Grand General Who Maintains The East, and King of the Wa State; he sent a petition to the court asking to be confirmed in these positions, and Emperor Wen issued an edict appointing him as General Who Maintains The East and King of the Wa State. Chin also asked that thirteen of his generals, including Wazui (倭隋), be confirmed in their provisional appointments to such titles as General Who Pacifies The West, General Who Conquers The Caitiffs, Champion General, and General Who Upholds The State (all typical titles of generals in Chinese states), and Emperor Wen agreed to this request.

In the twentieth year of Yuanjia (443), the King of the Wa State, Sai (濟), sent an envoy to submit a petition and present tribute, and he too was confirmed as General Who Maintains The East and King of Wa. In the twenty-eighth year (451), Emperor Wen further appointed Sai as Commissioner Bearing Credentials and as Commander of military affairs in Wa, Silla, Imna, Jialuo, Qinhan, and Muhan, keeping his position of General Who Maintains The East as before; he also confirmed the appointments of twenty-three people whom Sai had appointed as generals of armies or administrators of commanderies.

After Sai died, his eldest son Kō (興) sent envoys to present tribute. In Emperor Xiaowu's sixth year of Daming (460), he issued an edict stating, "The heir of the King of Wa, Kō, is inheritor of a lineage which has remained loyal for generations: they have served as a border vassal across the sea, they have promoted virtuous conduct and have maintained tranquility within their domain, and they have respectfully continued to present tribute and seek appointment. So too should the new scion of this enterprise on the border be granted rank and title; I hereby appoint him as General Who Maintains The East and King of Wa."

After Kō died, his younger brother Bu (武) took power. He declared himself Commissioner Bearing Credentials, Commander of military affairs in Wa, Baekje, Silla, Imna, Jialuo, Qinhan, and Muhan, Grand General Who Maintains The East, and King of the Wa State.

In Emperor Shun's second year of Shengming (478), Bu sent envoys to present the following petition to him:

quote:

"Having been granted this quaint and distant fief and charged with serving as an outer barrier of the (Chinese) realm, from many years my ancestors and forebears personally donned armor and helmet and crossed over and waded through mountains and rivers, never taking a moment's rest; to the east they campaigned against fifty-five states of the hairy ones, to the west they secured the submission of sixty-six states of the various barbarians, at sea they pacified ninety-five states across the water, and in the maintenance of the kingly way, the expansion of our remote domain, and the adherence to the (Chinese) imperial court, they did not lapse in their duties for even a single year.

"Now your subject, though foolish and inferior, has unworthily inherited this legacy; eagerly would I have placed the forces under my command at the disposal of the Heavenly Pole (the Emperor), and as the way runs through Baekje, we had been building and maintaining our ships and boats. Yet vile Goguryeo craves and has been seeking to swallow up our land: they have raided and plundered our border regions, killing and slaying incessantly, and their constant deprivations so delayed affairs among us that it has cost us the good wind (for sailing), for though one might say that the road to proceed is there, it is sometimes open and otherwise not. Our every thought was directed towards the means by which we might give form to our anger, carry out our vengeance, and clear this obstacle that thwarts our passage along the heavenly road (to China); a million bowstrings were at the ready and the worthiness of the cause stirred and inflamed the people, and we were just on the point of carrying out a great expedition when the sudden deaths of my father and elder brother caused this endeavor that was on the very point of success to fail to produce even a single basket of earth.

"Having been obliged to remain in the mourning shed (to observe the three years of mourning for the death of one's father), your subject has refrained from martial affairs, thus have you received neither news of my situation or reports of my triumph. Yet now I am prepared to repair the armor and tend to the weapons of my troops and to fulfill the ambitions of my father and elder brother; my righteous warriors are fierce as tigers, both civil and military officials desire to prove their worth, and all are ready to bare their blades and advance to face the foe with none willing to look back. And if the blessings of the Emperor's virtue were to grace our endeavor, we would smash this mighty foe and so overcome and tranquilize this present danger that no past deed could compare. Thus did I presume to grant myself the privilege of a Separate Office with equal ceremonial to the Three Excellencies and to thereby distribute ranks and grant titles in order to encourage loyal and dutiful service."

Emperor Shun issued an edict appointing Bu as Commissioner Bearing Credentials, Commander of military affairs in Wa, Silla, Imna, Jialuo, Qinhan, and Muhan, Grand General Who Maintains The East, and King of Wa.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Context was how the Predators (of Predator [1987] fame) use a segmented LCD numeral/alphabet system where each digit/letter is a vertical pair of asterisks:

flavor.flv posted:

That makes me realize that if cuneiform had survived to the present era, it would have been really easy to make led text displays

FFT posted:

Maybe with deliberate and major adaptation, but acute triangles where directionality matters would have been way more difficult to adapt than our line-based system

(Not gonna pretend these are 100% accurate, of course, given how unlikely it is that any cuneiform systems hit 1:1 on English letters like that)

FFT posted:

Yeah, here we go, phonemes. (Copied out of this article that references actual authorities on cuneiform)

Try that on a segmented display lmao
This seems like the thread to ask: how (im)practical would/could a segmented LCD version of cuneiform be?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

skasion posted:

She became witch-queen of the shortass eastern barbarians and…apparently did a pretty good job.

Seems to me that they kept her locked up and killed everyone that knew after her death.