Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/crestofmiracles/status/1540938766419984386?s=20&t=xGh4r69y7a7heW1hNGH5Ug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > AI: The Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative -

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

I’m in this picture and I don’t like it.

I had to look up the answers for the questions the game gives you at the beginning about the first game. Let alone things later on. I had an easier time with the somniums than when the game went “type something in idiot”.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

jimmydalad posted:

I’m in this picture and I don’t like it.

I had to look up the answers for the questions the game gives you at the beginning about the first game. Let alone things later on. I had an easier time with the somniums than when the game went “type something in idiot”.

The only question I had to look up the answer for was (Mizuki Chapter 2) ---HaroInstUndg--- or whatever that was. I did not get the -----ALFREE----- solution the way they were expecting me to and my wife and I just spent an hour making anagrams of potential answers.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
The somniums and key system are better than the first game. I was particularly proud of how in Amame’s somnium, I used the key hint that mentioned her always going with the right option to get 100% on the rapid fire questions at the end of the somnium.

I don’t think they are as hard/obtuse as the first game, but I still felt smart completing them all.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Glad everyone is spoilering things because I haven't started yet but I was very surprised that a recent random Amazon order of mine also had the Switch collector's edition (which I did preorder the day it was announced) included.

I was also minorly surprised that it came with a shrimp-form Aiba instead of a ball-form Aiba.

Looking forward to getting started but got just a wee bit more to do on my other visual novel before diggin' in.

Couldn't even open the special edition art book because the first page said spoiler warning.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone interested in a Xbox version of Nirvana Initiative CE?

I was able to get a PS4 version and I'd rather not return the xbone version to Amazon to get relisted for scalper prices.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I just finished Mr. Uchikoshi's Wild Ride and I don't want to get off.

I'll compile all of my thoughts on the plot and the twists later. For now I'll say I think I like this one more than the first one. It was uneven at times, even contrived. But between the improved Somniums and endearing new characters (with no one sucking as much as Ota did in 1), it was a fun experience. Like, I think the plot of the first game is better, but nirvanA Initiative is the better overall package.

Action sequences did feel worse this time around though. All of the motions felt weightless and stiff. Sound editing could have used a second pass (or it could have been audio issues with my pc).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ryuki R1 Ending Congratulations! Everything sucks!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So I just got Ryuki R2 ending as my first ending and Im extremely confused? Shoma has a sister? Was this ever mentioned? I Dont recall this at all

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
confusing plot revelations are common in endings in uchikoshi games

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

confusing plot revelations are common in endings in uchikoshi games

I am am aware very aware. The issue here is the game didnt treat it like a revelation. No one commented, no one acted like it was new information. It was casually dropped mid conversation twice and the game brought no attention to it.

Normally when this kind of thing happens they like... act like its a big deal. This is just making me feel like I missed dialogue somewhere.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

The somniums and key system are better than the first game. I was particularly proud of how in Amame’s somnium, I used the key hint that mentioned her always going with the right option to get 100% on the rapid fire questions at the end of the somnium.

I don’t think they are as hard/obtuse as the first game, but I still felt smart completing them all.

Every answer is correct in the rapid-fire section :v:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Evolver MC more like Evolver (main character)

First qr code you see in the game works https://youtu.be/vRySgdA4VBM

Loving this game so far

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 28, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Evolver MC more like Evolver (main character)

First qr code you see in the game works https://youtu.be/vRySgdA4VBM

Loving this game so far

Yeah, you can see comments from a few months ago because I think it appeared in either a trailer or the ARG.

E: Spoiler for both of Ryuki's routes motherfucker the uploader is db

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The second page has a very nice tribute to his original English VA.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

The Six Years Ago character index has his name uncovered, which I believe reflects Ryuki remembering his name but not Mizuki

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I beat it tonight and it was very good. Thought the climax was not as strong as the first games but other stuff more than made up for it. goty

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

(post-game) I appreciate the massive meta balls on the conversation with Tokiko in the void.

"Why'd you make Amame do all that and then kill yourself?"
"Because if I didn't the game plot wouldn't work."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mizuki C1 the loving chug jug reference this game is evil

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

So I got Ryuiki ending 1 and 2 and am now stuck?

Tearer's name is boat, ok. I tried "tearer boat" but that didnt work. There is nothing on the flow chart that seems like it branches off anywhere, I am a bit confused as to where Im supposed to go form here. From what I can tell the only fork is saying the true culprits name in Ryuki's somnium.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Tearer's name is boat, ok. I tried "tearer boat" but that didnt work. There is nothing on the flow chart that seems like it branches off anywhere, I am a bit confused as to where Im supposed to go form here. From what I can tell the only fork is saying the true culprits name in Ryuki's somnium.

You got another name at the end of the other route. Put them together.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Paul Zuvella posted:

You completely missed the other part of the killer's name in the other branch. It is Dahlia

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ymgve posted:

You completely missed the other part of the killer's name in the other branch. It is Dahlia

what the hell, where does this even happen?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

what the hell, where does this even happen?

I believe the masked woman tells you in Date's place

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Mizuki C1 So, uh....why has Ryuki just kinda been....out and about for 6 years? This boy needs to be under medical care.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Im being mandela effected

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Nope, it was Shoma who tells you in the ferris wheel after his somnium, at the end of his route.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Ibblebibble posted:

Nope, it was Shoma who tells you in the ferris wheel after his somnium, at the end of his route.

Ah, right.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Endgame spoilers for both games:

This game retroactively makes the Annihilation ending even worse for Date. Since Boss has a daughter of her own, now Date has two snarky adopted Mizukis calling him a pervert. None can withstand their combined might.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Mizuki C1 So, uh....why has Ryuki just kinda been....out and about for 6 years? This boy needs to be under medical care.

Much like the first game, the cops are staggeringly incompetent. "Oh, we've brought in dangerous yakuza? Let's not handcuff him or anything, oops he escaped our secret and secure facility, who could have seen this coming."

Boss: "Ryuki you need to quit and get therapy"
Ryuki: "Nah i'm good" (he freaks out)
Boss: "There is nothing that could be done"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Later in the chapter WHY DOES HE STILL HAVE A GUN

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am really enjoying all the fourth wall breaks and the anime references

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Finally got through that lock on the timeline and we Uchikoshi now boys!

I was sorta expecting time nonsense because of what some characters had said here and there, but my assumption was like two simultaneously running stories in two different time periods overlapping and interacting and date going back and forth or something. Well hey there’s still more game to go, who knows what Uchikoshis broken brain is gonna throw at me before the end!

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Gutcruncher posted:

Finally got through that lock on the timeline and we Uchikoshi now boys!

I was sorta expecting time nonsense because of what some characters had said here and there, but my assumption was like two simultaneously running stories in two different time periods overlapping and interacting and date going back and forth or something. Well hey there’s still more game to go, who knows what Uchikoshis broken brain is gonna throw at me before the end!

For us it all clicked when We saw Ryuki staring at the Ferris Wheel. After that, we both starting to keep an eye out for weird inconsitencies (like Komeji moving the body, or Mizuki having heart problems) and felt incredibly validated when the explanatory scene occurred.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If you’re going to write a 6 year gap into your story you should probably like, make multiple models of characters and make the same locations look different. This is just amazingly lazy

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

If you’re going to write a 6 year gap into your story you should probably like, make multiple models of characters and make the same locations look different. This is just amazingly lazy

E: apparently it’s only a few characters that don’t get new models… that’s so bizarre

Quote is not edit!!!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I am stuck in Mizuki chapter 2 on something possibly really stupid In the part where you are in Horadori Institute with the night vision on and the guard qte keeps happening what the hell am I looking for.

please help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petcarcharodon
Jun 25, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

I am stuck in Mizuki chapter 2 on something possibly really stupid In the part where you are in Horadori Institute with the night vision on and the guard qte keeps happening what the hell am I looking for.

please help

There's a thing on the desk it's not hidden at all just easy to not notice it's significant.