Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RillAkBea posted:

The problem is it's working off PSP resolution images so there's very little to work with. For the broad strokes like the classroom background it's basically fine. It starts to run into problems though on things that have very few pixels to work off.

The biggest red flag of those shots is the benches at the mall where the AI couldn't quite work out what was bench and what was shadowing so they look a bit melty. Similarly, the bicycle in front of the police box is sort of phasing out of existence because there weren't enough pixels for the AI to work out what it was.

This is interesting to learn and I'm glad you explained it, but this still seems like a very minor issue.

Like, the graphics are a little shittier than they used to be? That's it? The story and gameplay are still the same, it's just that background details look worse and.... that's it.

Like, it's not great and I recognize it's a lazy way to do it, but the floor in the mall background looking smudged isn't going to be a deal breaker for me and it's weird that people on Twitter are acting like this is a huge scandal and an affront to them personally as if Atlus literally just spit in their mouths (but then people are doing that all the time always about basically every video game ever made for one reason or another so I guess it's not that surprising).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah, but 4 is basically toeing the line of virulently heteronormative, even when compared to a game with Operation Babe Hunt, and one with gay sexual predators used as a punch line. Soooo, I'll go to bat that 3 is considerably better written than 4, because it's not that.

i dearly love p4 but yeah there’s some really dodgy poo poo in there that takes you out of the game while it’s going on

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

"Should they bring FES or Portable?" has been a constant discussion topic between fans since they launched P4G on Steam and it's pretty clear there's no definitive answer.

Sure they could've made a remake with the best of both worlds but honestly I'd rather they use those resources and manpower to develop new games.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, I don't think we've heard anything about Persona 6 at all aside from the fact that it's going to be headed up by new people. I'm really curious about it, I'd like to see if some fresh blood can fix up some old issues with the series.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I tried out Persona 1 for the first time today and I wasn't quite sold on the characters until the adorable scene where Eriko comes charging into the hospital to save the day because she thinks she's the chosen one. :3:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Mysticblade posted:

Yeah, I don't think we've heard anything about Persona 6 at all aside from the fact that it's going to be headed up by new people. I'm really curious about it, I'd like to see if some fresh blood can fix up some old issues with the series.

For their recent Persona games, only Strikers was not announced during a Persona Super Live concert in Japan:
WIth a Super Live concert scheduled for October 8th, I'd be shocked if they don't at least tease P6 then.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

RillAkBea posted:

I tried out Persona 1 for the first time today and I wasn't quite sold on the characters until the adorable scene where Eriko comes charging into the hospital to save the day because she thinks she's the chosen one. :3:

Eriko is fukken great, she is basically the female protagonist in almost every way, to the point where she uses the same weapons and shares similar contact skills. (also she uses a rifle which are so goddamn good in that game).

P1 has amazing atmosphere and charming writing, it's a shame the PSP remake absolutely destroyed the atmosphere by taking out most of the sound effects and 3/4ths of the music tracks.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Petiso posted:

"Should they bring FES or Portable?" has been a constant discussion topic between fans since they launched P4G on Steam and it's pretty clear there's no definitive answer.

Sure they could've made a remake with the best of both worlds but honestly I'd rather they use those resources and manpower to develop new games.

At the very least, I hope Atlus can bring in the anime cutscenes from FES and bring them into the P3P ports. There "should" not be any technical issue or difficulty of transferring some video files from one game to another :suicide:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Flair posted:

At the very least, I hope Atlus can bring in the anime cutscenes from FES and bring them into the P3P ports. There "should" not be any technical issue or difficulty of transferring some video files from one game to another :suicide:

They would have to change the code to have the cutscene triggers in there. 95% sure they're not touching the game code at all.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

They would have to change the code to have the cutscene triggers in there. 95% sure they're not touching the game code at all.

Really, the best solution is just to do a kingdom hearts thing, string all the cutscenes from The Answer together into a movie, and put it as a menu option.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They should've ported vanilla P3 so everyone could be unhappy

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Sapozhnik posted:

Also FWIW that so called "Press release" about P5R et al coming to Steam is completely unconfirmed and is just engagement bait from some bottom feeder gaming website.

I mean it might still be true but again, the Steam logo is very conspicuous by its absence on all of the real, official announcements so far. It was front and center at the end of the very first trailer for Soul Hackers 2, for instance.

Here is your official source for all platforms that P3P, P4G, and P5R are coming to: https://persona.atlus.com/ and https://twitter.com/Atlus_West/status/1536885353730125824

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh weird, they're releasing Royal on PS5

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Actually yeah why is only Royal getting a PS5 version? It’s probably wholly unnecessary, I can’t think of any PS5 features that would meaningfully improve my P5R experience, but why not get 4G or 3P running natively on PS5 too?

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Actually yeah why is only Royal getting a PS5 version? It’s probably wholly unnecessary, I can’t think of any PS5 features that would meaningfully improve my P5R experience, but why not get 4G or 3P running natively on PS5 too?

My guess is that it’s so they have all three releasing on a playstation console in some way on those dates, and the only way to do that for P5R is to put in on PS5. The other two aren’t on PS4, so there’s no need to put them on PS5 to have something to release. It’s still somewhat weird they’re doing a series x release but not ps5 for those, though.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

Would be nice if it winds up just being a free update for existing PS4 owners. I don't think it'd be all that much, just 4k and faster load times for a game that already loads pretty fast when playing it in backwards compatibility on PS5?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlmZKvvMbEw

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Nice!!!! I'm glad I decided to check out this thread. Seriously; the very moment it's confirmed one can mod out "Looking coool, Joker!" I WILL give Royal a second go on the PC. 😩

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
I'm hoping for a mod to make Akechi the permanent nav, but he probably doesn't have enough lines for that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

wizard2 posted:

Nice!!!! I'm glad I decided to check out this thread. Seriously; the very moment it's confirmed one can mod out "Looking coool, Joker!" I WILL give Royal a second go on the PC. 😩

:same:

Mostly I'm waiting for adding Akechi to the team earlier...someday.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Kasumi in the Shido palace would be nice too, there was no good reason for her to be arbitrarily rejected from the mission like that.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Cloacamazing! posted:

I'm hoping for a mod to make Akechi the permanent nav, but he probably doesn't have enough lines for that.

He's got a shockingly high number of nav lines, but only refers to Joker and Violet by name.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

anakha posted:

He's got a shockingly high number of nav lines, but only refers to Joker and Violet by name.

I choose to headcanon this as Akechi only remembering those two's codenamed.

"TEAR THEM APART JOKER!.....AND, THE BLONDE ONE!"

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

anakha posted:

Man, Robbie Daymond just went all in on "Intense violence gets Akechi's motor running".

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
unpleasant boy

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

unpleasant boy

And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
hes sick and twisted. we all love him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1541768164601516032?s=20&t=EBZfkFxN2EX16cNYrj76XQ

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Woo, the internet can finally stop complaining!

(about this)

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Why do they do announcements like this??

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Why do they do announcements like this??

It was announced in today's Direct. I'm guessing Nintendo wanted their own announcement about the Switch versions.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Because everyone paid for their piecemeal announcement to capitalize

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Noice.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I've already played Persona 5 twice through with all confidants both times (once in vanilla and once in Royal) so I don't think I'll be buying that again any time soon. But P3P and P4G will be tempting when they come out. I haven't played Persona 3 in ages and I've never actually played the Golden version of P4.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Switch AND Steam?

I was hopping I wouldn't have to pick.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I gotta admit, I never saw this coming.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

At least P3P and P4G will now be available both on systems that aren't dead, and without Denuvo.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
P4G being a Steam (well, and Vita) exclusive of all things for a couple of years was just the strangest thing

I wonder how much of its breakout success on that platform was PC gamers and how much was people really wanting to play P4G and creating a Steam account on their laptops or whatever. Though I did try running P4G on integrated graphics just to test it out and it ... didn't run great, at least if I recall correctly.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think atlus is just weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

we were staking out every anniversary announcement and they just.....tacked it onto the end of a direct