Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

DarkCrawler posted:

Your dumb state sucks because of the people in it. Either you let them drag the right places down with them, or you cut the chord.

America is different because people don't necessarily have the opportunity to move, and I feel for those who do. But they're a suffering minority. Every single conservative is of the complicit majority. Either way, because you insist on trying to drag the wrong places with you to some semblance of the future while they're actively kicking and screaming and biting your ankles, the right places suck a lot too.

Personally I don't give a poo poo every time I hear about the death of the kind of places I grew up in, because I know about the opinions and voting demographics of the vast majority of people staying in there. I also know that everyone graduating would have moved the gently caress away with or without the lack of jobs because of those people and the environment they have created.

gently caress em. Let those places die. They can die miserable hugging their homophobia, racism and the money from cities that keeps them on life support. And I can promise you whatever conservatives we have are nothing compared to the absolute wastes of human potential that each and every Republican represents.

This is dumb on many levels and just as pointless as the seemingly weekly derails about how you should build up your armory and bugout bag for the coming apocalypse.

1) Most states are 55/45, so the minority you are punishing are still a large chunk of the state.

2) As much as we would like to believe it, a state is not going to collapse and depopulate because they discriminate against trans people or ban abortion.

3) The rural/small town areas of the U.S. are already dying anyway. Roughly 2/3 of America lives in an urban or suburban area.

4) The vast majority of people just don't care that deeply about abortion or trans rights. If only 1/3 of voters are willing to make their vote conditional on abortion rights (and some of that 1/3 makes their vote conditional on opposing abortion rights), then there is no way that any significant amount of the population is going to pack up a move away if they won't even change their vote because of it.

5) The vast majority of people who just don't care one way or the other aren't going to appreciate your theory of collective punishment just because they are "trying to live my life and don't worry about genders on bathrooms or abortion regulations. I'm not even doing anything to hurt them!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Yeah, screw those dumb hick losers who weren't born in the right place. Good thing they are all chuds and never have LGBT kids or daughters who need abortions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Your dumb state sucks because of the people in it. Either you let them drag the right places down with them, or you cut the chord.

America is different because people don't necessarily have the opportunity to move, and I feel for those who do. But they're a suffering minority. Every single conservative is of the complicit majority. Either way, because you insist on trying to drag the wrong places with you to some semblance of the future while they're actively kicking and screaming and biting your ankles, the right places suck a lot too.

Personally I don't give a poo poo every time I hear about the death of the kind of places I grew up in, because I know about the opinions and voting demographics of the vast majority of people staying in there. I also know that everyone graduating would have moved the gently caress away with or without the lack of jobs because of those people and the environment they have created.

gently caress em. Let those places die. They can die miserable hugging their homophobia, racism and the money from cities that keeps them on life support. And I can promise you whatever conservatives we have are nothing compared to the absolute wastes of human potential that each and every Republican represents.

Because everyone in your country insists on giving the rural shitholes extra voting power. Why would it change anything? There isn't a country in the world where cities aren't expensive than everywhere else. If you have a support system on top of it that makes it liveable, it would work. I have seen no indication that the majority of Americans who live in urban areas would not vote for those systems if the shitholes didn't fight against all of it with their extra voting power.

Oh dang, I never realized you grew up in America. That really changes the perspective I thought you had.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Those two dumb jurors in the Ghislaine Maxwell trial who admitted they lied on their juror forms were thankfully not enough to get her a retrial.

She is being sentenced today.

Absolute minimum is 5 years. Absolute maximum is 55 years. Seems very likely that the judge will not allow concurrent sentences, so the minimum is actually 10 years if he does not.

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1541768093428580352

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

So why are Biden and Harris colder on getting rid of the filibuster now (in their responses about legislation on abortion rights)? They seemed to be for it just last year.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not American, for the record. And I imagine there's a good chance red states have more nonvoters than blue states. And looking at what red state Democrats are like, can you blame them? Democrats genuinely hope for a blue Texas and then post about how their calves cramp for Beto O'Rourke.

There are polls done on what Americans support beyond voting intentions, over and over again, and the divide between red and blue is pretty clear. If there are more non-voters, more of them would still vote for the same poo poo. So no, it isn't the fault of Democrats.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Oh dang, I never realized you grew up in America. That really changes the perspective I thought you had.

So you're arguing for American exeptionalism here? Your rural shitheads are unique and special and can't be blamed for anything? It's a very Trump supporter angle to whine about foreigners when they point out your problems but it doesn't exactly serve as a valid debating tactic unless you're willing

cat botherer posted:

Yeah, screw those dumb hick losers who weren't born in the right place. Good thing they are all chuds and never have LGBT kids or daughters who need abortions.

Again, stop letting the minority make decisions for the majority, maybe those kids could move. Go to free university. Democrats, the left, whoever. Start campaigning on something else than bringing the country together when a good 30-40 percent wants the rest of the country to suffer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

small butter posted:

So why are Biden and Harris colder on getting rid of the filibuster now (in their responses about legislation on abortion rights)? They seemed to be for it just last year.

Because they still don't have the votes to do so.

And, according to the NYT, they are in somewhat of a holding position until Biden gets back from Europe. Harris is the public face on the issue, but she can't make any final decisions. Biden has asked his agencies to provide a list of things they can do and he doesn't want to "over promise" and then have people feel let down if they can't do it.

So, they are going to basically just say nothing committal until at least tomorrow when Biden gets back.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

There are polls done on what Americans support beyond voting intentions, over and over again, and the divide between red and blue is pretty clear. If there are more non-voters, more of them would still vote for the same poo poo. So no, it isn't the fault of Democrats.

So you're arguing for American exeptionalism here? Your rural shitheads are unique and special and can't be blamed for anything? It's a very Trump supporter angle to whine about foreigners when they point out your problems but it doesn't exactly serve as a valid debating tactic unless you're willing

Again, stop letting the minority make decisions for the majority, maybe those kids could move. Go to free university. Democrats, the left, whoever. Start campaigning on something else than bringing the country together when a good 30-40 percent wants the rest of the country to suffer.

No, just arguing that you should really find a new obsession rather than a country you don't live in and regularly show that you're incredibly ignorant about. It's not surprising at all that a lot of this is just transferring the hate you have for your own home into places that you view as similar in your favorite TV show, American politics.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

small butter posted:

At some point after BBB failed, the administration decided that putting public pressure on Congress through the media was bad. They made a strategic decision to stop showing support for anything specific they didn't think they could get through Congress, and instead started telling voters to "make your voices heard" about vague solutions.

I don't know, it seems like a massive failure of leadership to me, but it's clearly on purpose. Perhaps there's something going on behind the scenes, but they're being very conservative in the media. I guess they think that trying and failing is a much worse look than simply appearing not to try at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
They had the same internal argument about Manchin and Sinema that we did, and came to the same conclusion that there's no way to do anything about them before the next election

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DarkCrawler posted:

What is free university?

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

Hey 16 year old trans kid in Texas, why don't you just move to NY or LA or go to free university, you fucken idiot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's kinda sorta free to go to community college or university in Wyoming if you qualify for the Hathaway Scholarship, but I don't know all the mechanics to it because of course I graduated one year too early to get it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Even if the university is free, surely people need money for food and housing while they got t this free university, right? Taking a full course load while working full time is not a serious suggestion. People have done it, but it's really hard and absolutely sucks and is most likely to end with you dropping out.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

No, just arguing that you should really find a new obsession rather than a country you don't live in and regularly show that you're incredibly ignorant about. It's not surprising at all that a lot of this is just transferring the hate you have for your own home into places that you view as similar in your favorite TV show, American politics.

For the half my family is American or immigrated there. I'll keep obsessing as long as America sucks this much, sorry.

And again, unless you can point out why someone is "ignorant" beyond being foreign, you're just using the same excuse as a Trump supporter.

Gripweed posted:

What is free university?

Something the majority of Americans seem to want. Maybe if they could actually decide without what is an obvious tyranny of minority.

Gripweed posted:

Even if the university is free, surely people need money for food and housing while they got t this free university, right? Taking a full course load while working full time is not a serious suggestion. People have done it, but it's really hard and absolutely sucks and is most likely to end with you dropping out.

I mean if it wasn't clear, already mentioned that it is different in America, and thus the opportunity doesn't exist, and thus "just move" is not an option.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 28, 2022

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

And again, unless you can point out why someone is "ignorant" beyond being foreign, you're just using the same excuse as a Trump supporter.

How much time have you spent in America? You, personally. Not parts of your family.

You're being called out for being ignorant of American culture and history because the things you post are ignorant of American culture and history (not to mention odious toward people who do not have realistic options for moving), not because you're foreign.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

:ironicat:

Try replacing "foreign" with "from Arkansas" and see how that sounds.

quote:

Something the majority of Americans seem to want. Maybe if they could actually decide without what is an obvious tyranny of minority.
So what does that have to do with telling everyone from not the right places to go gently caress themselves?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

For the half my family is American or immigrated there. I'll keep obsessing as long as America sucks this much, sorry.

Wait, you didn't cut ties with your family who live in a fascist country which makes them fascists by your logic? drat, rules for thee but not for me.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wait, you didn't cut ties with your family who live in a fascist country which makes them fascists by your logic? drat, rules for the but not for me.

Weak.

cat botherer posted:

:ironicat:

Try replacing "foreign" with "from Arkansas" and see how that sounds.

So what does that have to do with telling everyone from not the right places to go gently caress themselves?

Did I tell everyone that, or did I specifically mention that it is not an option for everyone in America?

TipTow posted:

How much time have you spent in America? You, personally. Not parts of your family.

You're being called out for being ignorant of American culture and history because the things you post are ignorant of American culture and history (not to mention odious toward people who do not have realistic options for moving), not because you're foreign.

Again, people seem to think I did not specifically mention people who do not have realistic options for moving. I did. But the current system does not seem to be any less odious to them.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 28, 2022

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

small butter posted:

Because talk is cheap.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DarkCrawler posted:

Again, people seem to think I did not specifically mention people who do not have realistic options for moving. I did. But the current system does not seem to be any less odious to them.

If you admit that there are people who are opposed to the politics of their states but don't have the ability to move, then doesn't that destroy your entire argument?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

Weak.

Did I tell everyone that, or did I specifically mention that it is not an option for everyone in America?

-my- American cousins are not fascists. Everyone else please cut out the fascists from your lives but mine are special and suffering and I'm just trying to help.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

-my- American cousins are not fascists. Everyone else please cut out the fascists from your lives but mine are special and suffering and I'm just trying to help.

in fairness there is nothing more American than speaking at great length about how we all must sacrifice for a better world, and then saying 'except me I'm built different'

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gripweed posted:

If you admit that there are people who are opposed to the politics of their states but don't have the ability to move, then doesn't that destroy your entire argument?

No?

DarkCrawler posted:

Nothing will change until decent Americans abandon these people in every way possible, and legislate based on actual democratic principles. Leave them to their rural shitholes, build a system of education and opportunity in cities that allows anyone willing to leave those rural shitholes, and forget about the things they care about, once and for all.

That's how it works here. And in most other developed countries. That's the ideal I see for America.

Gumball Gumption posted:

...did I say all Americans are fascists, now?

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 28, 2022

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

No?

So what's the actual argument you are making? It seems like you've pretty much nerfed all the arguments for what people thought you were talking about.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

cat botherer posted:

So what's the actual argument you are making? It seems like you've pretty much nerfed all the arguments for what people thought you were talking about.

If I quote the original argument to "nerf" the original argument, maybe people didn't read the original argument?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

small butter posted:

They need the votes to end the filibuster and they don't have the 51 votes needed.

Also, it is easy to blame inaction on the GOP and the filibuster than actually do something.

Problem is the moment GOP has 51 votes they are going to end it and pass all the poo poo they want

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Giuliani demanded the maximum possible punishment for the guy who "assaulted" him at the grocery store, so the NYPD added harassment and menacing charges to his initial assault charge.

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1541783756167647234

This is the video of the assault:

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1541201416949211136

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

No?

By the argument you've made many many many many times now and had a whole dedicated thread about, yes. If you willingly live in a fascist country than you're a fascist according to you because you're not doing anything to prevent it. By your argument the best thing your American family could do is leave and allow Americans to suffer in the fascist poo poo hole they made. Your fascist family isn't special and maybe you should stop talking to them until they are spurred into doing something about the county they live in.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

DarkCrawler posted:

If I quote the original argument to "nerf" the original argument, maybe people didn't read the original argument?
Everyone did, but its wildly incoherent.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
Menacing in the third degree. If pressing charges for that doesn't make you feel like less of a man, I don't know what will.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Gumball Gumption posted:

By the argument you've made many many many many times now and had a whole dedicated thread about, yes. If you willingly live in a fascist country than you're a fascist according to you because you're not doing anything to prevent it. By your argument the best thing your American family could do is leave and allow Americans to suffer in the fascist poo poo hole they made. Your fascist family isn't special and maybe you should stop talking to them until they are spurred into doing something about the county they live in.

No, actually that is not my original argument. Feel free to quote me on that if you disagree, though. Like it's not that hard to find someone's past posts and since I obsess on this and all, you should find it even easier.

If you are unable to do that, then you are simply, once again, substituting my actual argument for your own lie about what that argument is.

cat botherer posted:

Everyone did, but its wildly incoherent.

Not apparently, since everyone assumes I told everyone there to go gently caress themselves, when I clearly stated multiple times that a) such opportunities are not there at the present and b) such opportunities should be built. Starting from the first post.

Is that coherent enough?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Giuliani demanded the maximum possible punishment for the guy who "assaulted" him at the grocery store, so the NYPD added harassment and menacing charges to his initial assault charge.

He's no longer an attorney general so I'm confused as to how he can "demand" anything from the NYPD, much less a particular punishment.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Willa Rogers posted:

He's no longer an attorney general so I'm confused as to how he can "demand" anything from the NYPD, much less a particular punishment.

He's "America's Mayor" and the former king of New York! He gets special treatment.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

He's "America's Mayor" and the former king of New York! He gets special treatment.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

If that dude sees even an ounce of real legal trouble it just means the next guy needs to make it count.

Sure love there's greater legal scrutiny for slapping someone on the back and calling them a scumbag then trying to overthrown an election and getting multiple pollworkers harassed out of their home.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Rudy also thinks that his assault is an example of the rise in violent crime across the country and NYC especially.

quote:

Rudy Giuliani says NY has turned into the ‘Wild, Wild West’ after assault

Rudy Giuliani insisted Monday that New York has turned into the “Wild, Wild West” and that he could have been killed after he was randomly whacked by a worker at a ShopRite on Staten Island while out campaigning for his son.

The 78-year-old former New York City mayor said he was suffering from a “very sore back” and “swelling” in the wake of Sunday’s caught-on-camera attack inside the store.

quote:

“He hit me to knock me down and if that doesn’t merit jail time in New York, we’re in the Wild, Wild, West,” Giuliani said during a virtual press conference.

Giuliani called for his alleged attacker to be prosecuted, saying he could have easily been killed if he’d been knocked to the floor.

quote:

“It was a very, very heavy shot. He could have easily hit me, knocked me to the ground and killed me,” he said. “He’s lucky he didn’t knock me down. Falling is extremely dangerous for an elderly person.”

Rudy also says that the cops are feeding him updates about the case and warned him that the Staten Island DA plans to downgrade the guy's charges from what the police gave him and Rudy is mad.

quote:

“This guy should be in prison,” Giuliani said.

Giuliani revealed in a second press conference Monday that cops had told him Staten Island DA Michael McMahon’s office planned to downgrade Gill’s charge.

quote:

“Finally, I thought we had a DA in New York in Staten Island who was a real DA in favor of protecting victims and not letting criminals go free so they can start hitting other 78-year-old men,” Giuliani said.

The DA didn't ask for bail and set this monster free to go on a slapping rampage against 78-year old New Yorkers.

https://nypost.com/2022/06/27/rudy-giuliani-says-ny-is-the-wild-wild-west-after-assault/

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

The guy was originally charged with assault in the second degree (because Giuliani is over 65), which is a felony. The charges were reduced to assault in the third degree, harassment, and menacing, all of which are misdemeanors. So this is actually less severe than what the guy was actually charged with.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Willa Rogers posted:

The NYPD is probably full of people in authority positions who look back on his tenure fondly.

Plus, it's full of Trump lovers who don't actually live in NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Epicurius posted:

The guy was originally charged with assault in the second degree (because Giuliani is over 65), which is a felony. The charges were reduced to assault in the third degree, harassment, and menacing, all of which are misdemeanors. So this is actually less severe than what the guy was actually charged with.

Yes, that was part of the thing he was mad about in the post above yours. He was initially charged with "second-degree assault involving a person over age 65," wanted additional charges and got them, but is mad that the DA downgraded the assault charge from "second-degree assault involving a person over age 65" to "third-degree assault" because he wants the guy in jail.

quote:

“He hit me to knock me down and if that doesn’t merit jail time in New York, we’re in the Wild, Wild, West,” Giuliani said during a virtual press conference.

Giuliani called for his alleged attacker to be prosecuted, saying he could have easily been killed if he’d been knocked to the floor.