Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Big deck/little deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
Sure, this Daisy is built around forced learning (which is +15 deck size, you draw 2 every upkeep and discard one), and then takes in the thick of it (2 trauma, +3 XP). She spends 2 of those on versatile (+5 deck size, also lets you splash out to one level zero card of any class - she takes scavenging as the off-class and one pathfinder with the leftover XP)

Her deck is huge (and she takes a second versatile to make it even bigger and add another scavenging), but with the draw two, trash one aspect every turn, in addition to things like old book of lore, research librarian, no stone unturned, and preposterous sketches, you get everything you need pretty much instantly

And if you mess up, quantum flux is in twice, so you can just start over and try again - landing scavenging will pull out any item that dumps to graveyard without fail, because you're the clue person

Mid-game, Daisy uses tremendous amounts of movement tech to unlock the whole map and just suck up every clue whenever she wants to from as many rooms away she can - pocket telescope, shortcut, pathfinders, Gene Beauregard, a plethora of seeker events, etc

By end of campaign, when you're in the 25-40 xp range of upgrades, she pulls in archive of conduits and prophecia profana (ignore all attacks of opportunity) and open gates, astral travel, ethereal slip, to literally just teleport all over the map at whim and ignore all enemies forever, and ultimately drag them to her best friend, Zoey

Zoey runs underworld support, which makes her deck -5 max deck size (and no more than one of any card), then picks up stick to the plan, which then thins her deck out even more - you basically guarantee she's set up to kill, and kill huge groups at a distance of she wants to, or up close if she has to

That's the gist of it, Bob is just there to even out the economy, my plan for him is to just sit around following Zoey, generating tons of cash and paying for everyone else's expenditures

(There's weird barricade (3) tech that I've been working on but I think ultimately I'm gonna drop it, too finicky as opposed to letting Zoey just delete stuff with on the hunt and let me handle this)

Bob may not be necessary, but I've wanted to play with him for a while so it's a fun experiment at least, I just might need a bigger table

Big goal is to get this very asset heavy setup to a place where it can clear blob that ate everything without a sweat, we'll see

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

Fire Axe, Improvised Shield, Backpack/Fine Clothes, Short Supply, and Bruiser all go really well together. You can also play a backpack while wearing a backpack to drop its contents into your discard pile, something I've done with Scavenging (2) builds to save actions.

Oh, and speaking of Scavenging (2), I came across this a while ago:

If you play an Investigate event you can put the Old Shotgun into play with its two ammo, but the only such events you could play in a deck that had both of those cards would be these ones:

So this is something that Tommy, William, Preston, or Wendy could do, but none of them are really very suitable for it. I guess Shotgun Preston might be the best option?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Maybe Rita? She already really likes breaking and entering and pilfer. Especially Pilfer 3.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Unfortunately she can't take the shotgun.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Guardian Asset - Field Agent
4 Cost, 2 XP
You get +1 Intellect
Free Action - Exhaust Field Agent and deal 1 horror to it: discover one clue at your location.
2 health, 2 sanity
Ally slot

Seems very good, particularly if you don't need the combat icon from other Guardian allies or the tutoring from Tetsuo. Great combo with Alice Luxley. Probably very much worth considering for non-Guardians with Guardian lvl 2 access also.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Sounds like they’re going hard on “Carolyn doesn’t need three other players for maximum efficiency”. Team waitress/therapist always had some trouble with clues but it seems like that’s not gonna be a problem anymore.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

And here's the card image:

It's roughly one half of Agency Backup:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Gorgeous stuff, and a reason for Fern to take galvanize. (I realize that she can start with three colored cards and play and not really cause problems, between arcane knowledge and shrewd investigator.)

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

How is Galvanize worth the XP you reckon?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Newbie question: when I played Night of the Zealot, I took a Basic Weakness, shuffled it into my Roland deck (without looking), and dove in. But I'm sleeving my collection and just saw Indebted, which is a Permanent. When building a deck, when do you look at your Basic Weakness? As soon as you choose it, before you begin?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

CitizenKeen posted:

Newbie question: when I played Night of the Zealot, I took a Basic Weakness, shuffled it into my Roland deck (without looking), and dove in. But I'm sleeving my collection and just saw Indebted, which is a Permanent. When building a deck, when do you look at your Basic Weakness? As soon as you choose it, before you begin?

Yes. Most people I know even go so far as to draw three weaknesses, set one aside, and then pick one of the other two at random.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Most people I know even go so far as to draw three weaknesses, set one aside, and then pick one of the other two at random.

The house rule my playgroup usually uses is similar, but draw 4, set two aside, random from the remaining two. It really cuts down on the high-variance "my weakness screws over my entire deck strategy" problems that you can have, e.g. getting Amnesia in your Harvey Huge Hand deck, or Doomed in your Patrice deck. Yeah it's technically cheating to make the game easier on average, but it's a co-op game and we don't give a poo poo.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Tomorrow we begin Return to the Circle Undone. We’ve reformatted the party comp as follows:

Daisy goes all-in on clues. No combat cards at all. With medical texts and a handful of allies, she should have a decent soak capability, despite her low health. I have some concerns about her resource economy, but she has good action compression. Daisy also has the secondary goal of keeping the party on pace with delve too deep and drawn to the flame.

Jenny is built completely around two-handed weapons, with her signature card, .45 machine gun, contraband for ammo refills, and skill cards to boost her fight. Leo De Luca will help her exploit Chicago typewriter (eventually). She’ll be on enemy management.

Carolyn will support and flex. She is utilizing the mystic pool with shrivelling, clairvoyance, and ineffable truth to make sure she isn’t dragging down the tempo too much and helping out with easier tasks, but her primary focus is on supporting her allies with healing (and the associated cashflow) and contributing strong skill commits.

Edit: a couple of daisy questions. I’m taking Hawkeye Camera over magnifying glass because I think I’ll be able to realize the full benefit pretty quickly, and the extra wit will be utilized against the encounter deck. Sound ok?

I’m also highly concerned with her lack of agility for evasion. I’m thinking of switching research librarian for Dr. William Maleson, to help her discard enemy draws, but at the same time, research librarian can do some soak when she does draw an enemy, anyhow…I could also grab strange solution and evolve it into the freeze fluid, but I’m not really happy about sacrificing any of my current cards for that.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jun 28, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

The camera is generally better in true solo because with more clues on each location it will take a while to build up. Daisy will probably scoop those clues up pretty fast, as you suspect, but I think the Magnifying Glass is still better because it's an immediate bonus. Daisy also doesn't need the extra sanity from the camera so you wouldn't be getting the most out of it.

Return replaces some of the Willpower tests with Agility ones so Daisy will take more damage, but Medical Texts (2) from the EotE box should cover that plus any other damage the party might take. Do you have EotE, though? If so, there's another fantastic card for Jenny in it:

The basic Medical Texts isn't great but with Daisy's free action it's probably serviceable. Ward of Protection would let you nuke some of the more dangerous damage-dealing treacheries, too.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Personally I love Hawk-Eye Folding Camera. Once it gets going, it's very powerful, and if you have any checkless clue-getting, then it's especially easy to set up. Often scenarios start with a location or two that have low shroud anyway, and Daisy has base 5 book, so you'll be fine.

With Jenny being a dedicated fighter and Carolyn packing Shriveling, you probably don't need to worry about evasion.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Packing some text Darity cards for helping out teammates is a good idea, and there are scenarios where evasion is absolutely the right choice.

Mind blank is a great update for Daisy and Caro. You’re going to want some survivability for everybody, because scenario one starts with people separated.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Kalko posted:

The camera is generally better in true solo because with more clues on each location it will take a while to build up. Daisy will probably scoop those clues up pretty fast, as you suspect, but I think the Magnifying Glass is still better because it's an immediate bonus. Daisy also doesn't need the extra sanity from the camera so you wouldn't be getting the most out of it.

Return replaces some of the Willpower tests with Agility ones so Daisy will take more damage, but Medical Texts (2) from the EotE box should cover that plus any other damage the party might take. Do you have EotE, though? If so, there's another fantastic card for Jenny in it:

The basic Medical Texts isn't great but with Daisy's free action it's probably serviceable. Ward of Protection would let you nuke some of the more dangerous damage-dealing treacheries, too.

Unfortunately, we only have core, dunwich, and circle (and the red, green and purple character packs). But Daisy is bringing ward of protection.

I’m also concerned about Jenny’s lack of a mobility card. Circle has some big maps. She is getting some action economy from having Leo and that card that lets you interrupt someone else’s turn to take an action, though (super reflexes or something?)

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 28, 2022

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Nimble might help, though it's conditional movement. And Jenny can take Shortcut.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Kalko posted:

Nimble might help, though it's conditional movement. And Jenny can take Shortcut.

Daisy has shortcut right now, but it’s probably worth switching it over because she can take better options later on (edit: that would mean sacrificing one of her crucial guardian cards though! Ack!) I looked at nimble, but Jenny isn’t really pumping agility or building any evade tech, it’s all might boosts, card find tech, and weaponry.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 28, 2022

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Jenny could take the sneakers or safeguard.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Just take Elusive. Especially if you are playing without the taboo list.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Wondering what to axe to fit elusive in and thinking about emergency cache. Jenny gets double resources on upkeep, but even that might be a little lacking for running Leo de Luca and .45 Thompson.

Edit: one of them could probably replace warning shot, which would also free up an off-class slot so I could fit another vicious blow in instead of overpower. Warning shot has appealing enemy management- it disengages enemies from everyone at the location and also moves those enemies to an adjacent location- but it doesn’t work on elite.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jun 28, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Leo is a trap for Jenny imo. She’s average at everything. Invest in getting good at things so you can take impactful actions rather than more mediocre actions with a high chance to fail.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

The intention with Leo is to level her into running Chicago typewriter, which consumes actions and spits out stacking +2’s.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

So grab an adaptable and pick up Leo's later.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

I'd use Lonnie Ritter. Jenny's fight isn't good enough and she has the money to turn the mechanic into nearly infinite soak.

Edit: seconding that Leo is a trap unless you are already great at fighting or clueing. He's a card for someone like Tony or Trish.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 28, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Interesting. Maybe the beretta is a stronger pick, then?

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Anonymous Robot posted:

Interesting. Maybe the beretta is a stronger pick, then?

I think the berreta is better but it is campaign and investigator dependent.

High agility rogues can just evade if they don't succeed by enough to ready it. It might not be the ideal weapon for Jenny in a three player game though (it would work fine for two players), I think the typewriter could be worth trying.

I'd focus on increasing your stats if you use it. Spending extra actions is a huge cost if you are the primary/only one dealing with enemies. Fighters have a lot of spare actions before enemies show up but that changes when you encounter an elite or the team is unlucky and everyone draws a monster.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I sat down and modeled these attacks, and considering that Leo was selected specifically for a typewriter synergy, he looks considerably less appealing once it’s down on paper.

Lonnie:
Jenny has base 3.
Lonnie gives +1.
Typewriter scales with action input: +2, +4, +6
Total net: Spending 1 ammo and 1-3 actions to make a +6 to +10 attack for 3 damage.

Leo:
Jenny has base 3.
Typewriter scales with action input: +2, +4, +6, +8.
Total net: Spending 1 ammo and 1-4 actions to make a +5 to +11 attack for 3 damage.

The external factors to consider are that Leo’s extra action could be used for movement, and that Lonnie’s might could be applied to tests other than combat, though these are rather rare. And of course, Lonnie costs 2 fewer resources. There’s a case to be made for each. Lonnie seems like the obvious choice from the attack data, but consider that you usually want to be aiming for around +7 for a proficient attack, and Leo can fuel two of those in a round vs only one for Lonnie.

Lonnie’s ability is pretty much a non-starter, we have few if any items with health and it’s an anti-combo with Carolyn. On the other hand, her low cost makes it easier to use her for soak.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Spreadsheet gaming best gaming.

#dothemath

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I think what I’ll do is sub in Lonnie for Leo and switch out painkillers with leather jacket. Jenny will just have to be happy with a base +6 weapon attack. It’s trading tempo for survivability, but my group also has a tendency to get freaked out by damage and drag pace playing defensively, so eliminating the need to spend actions healing could work out.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Edit: a couple of daisy questions. I’m taking Hawkeye Camera over magnifying glass because I think I’ll be able to realize the full benefit pretty quickly, and the extra wit will be utilized against the encounter deck. Sound ok?

I’m also highly concerned with her lack of agility for evasion. I’m thinking of switching research librarian for Dr. William Maleson, to help her discard enemy draws, but at the same time, research librarian can do some soak when she does draw an enemy, anyhow…I could also grab strange solution and evolve it into the freeze fluid, but I’m not really happy about sacrificing any of my current cards for that.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Unfortunately, we only have core, dunwich, and circle (and the red, green and purple character packs). But Daisy is bringing ward of protection.

I’m also concerned about Jenny’s lack of a mobility card. Circle has some big maps. She is getting some action economy from having Leo and that card that lets you interrupt someone else’s turn to take an action, though (super reflexes or something?)

If you're going Hawkeye Camera then you could give Daisy Ineffable Truth and Carolyn could take something else. But yeah if it was me I'd just go for broke and get some Strange Solutions asap. I always go Acidic personally. Its so strong.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 28, 2022

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Completed scenario 1 of circle undone tonight. This is a bit of an odd scenario; I don’t like that particularly in Return to Circle Undone, it punishes you for completing goals like advancing the act quickly and killing witch enemies. We ended up having go go for the “exhaust X witches and spend X clues” resolution, due to a time crunch, but we couldn’t achieve it due to being a low agility party all around. Notably, Carolyn never got any mystic cards online and was cash strapped the whole game due to being hamstrung by her weakness early on.

However, we came away with 7XP. I felt that Daisy was starting off a bit underpowered, but between Higher Education, Esoteric Atlas (2) and Encyclopedia (2) she’s going to be a beast now.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Scenario one can be tough even if you’re prepared for it.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2022/6/30/scarlet-keys/

Scarlet Keys announcement.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Looks sick. I bet the “customize” function adds a little more clutter to the playspace, but I’m happy to see them developing the support archetype more deliberately, and the campaign sounds rad.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Carson looks good, giving an extra action per turn to another investigator is a strong ability. His stats are bad, but Guardian honestly has enough to boost them to respectable levels. Even just that Runic Axe could be customised to give huge bonuses and turn him into a decent fighter who follows the cluever around with Safeguard and protects them.

Amina looks kind of bad.... I really don't like the doom manipulation archetype Mystics use and honestly are you ever going to use that ability more than once or twice a scenario? Sure it saves some money but Jenny probably makes more over a scenario just by existing and doesn't have to worry about doom. All 3's across the board isn't a good statline either, especially for a Mystic.

The customise mechanic looks fantastic, very flexible and strong. I absolutely love the flavor of both Summoned Servitor and Power Word letting you build an army of minions.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jun 30, 2022

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Those customizable cards look like they need a lot of experience invested before they become good. I do hope the upgrade at least applies to every copy included in your deck rather than having to upgrade them seperately.

The mystic hand assets look really good. The mystic investigator not so much. The guardian investigator seems like the kind of character that can enable broken things when paired with the right investigator. Want to see some total nutcase use him to true solo a campaign though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Orange Devil posted:

Those customizable cards look like they need a lot of experience invested before they become good. I do hope the upgrade at least applies to every copy included in your deck rather than having to upgrade them seperately.

The upgrade on Word of Power makes it seem like customize bonuses are global to all copies, so hopefully. On the other hand the Asmoday pre-order page touts "48 upgrade sheets", which suggests it comes with multiples of the same one so maybe not? Or it could just be one for each printed copy of a customizable card so players don't need to share, which suggests 24 total (assuming two copies of each).

Relatedly, said pre-order page: ()

Officially reveals Kymani Jones AKA Waylay with legs. It's an odd ability, and doesn't play well with Deep Ones, but I know someone at my group who will jump at the chance to kill people by juking them. Also shoutouts to the Shoggoth basic weakness whose full text is obscured. Meanwhile I'm also excited for the possibility of having a real rear end Eldritch Horror style world map!

Also judging by the card numbering, the order of investigators listed on the back of the box possibly tells us Vincent Lee is going to be a Seeker and Daryl Simmons is a Survivor (likely the elusive Survivor 5/Seeker 2 character at long last).