Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Yeah, gently caress Alfredsson. Justice for Mogilny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

for yet another offseason corey perry is a BIG FUCKIN LOSER and all is correct in the world

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

for yet another offseason corey perry is a BIG FUCKIN LOSER and all is correct in the world

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/LoriSchmidt/status/1541436480077398020

Jack Johnson is a Stanley Cup Champion.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jack Johnson has been calling people all day and yelling this into his phone.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

The old guys didn't do too badly all things considered. I mean, Freddie the Goat and friends all probably at least met their low expectations. I doubt anyone could have turned like Adam Brooks into more than non-harmful roster filler. But then again, the old team was Stephane Robidas just because he needed something to do on the island so the bar wasntthat high.

Well they replaced Robidas and also Scott Pellerin, who started in 2015. So the more notable players they’d be referencing are guys like Dermott, Bracco, Timashov, Brooks, of course Liljegren, Sandin, Robertson, and the truly horrible picks like Korshkov and Rasanen.

The background was when the Leafs let Pellerin go the Athletic ran a puff piece on how much prospects and their families loved him, how he was really in their corner developing personal relationships and supporting them. Then immediately Goyette and Wickenheiser gave interviews stating that the Leafs prospects needed mental toughness and tough love, that they needed to realize skill wasn’t enough etc. It’s not hard to read between the lines that Leafs management thought Pellerin and Robidas had coddled prospects in their approach, and so players hadn’t been developing like they should. Whether that’s true or not isn’t really for me to say, but Leafs management clearly thinks they should have gotten more out of their picks or they wouldn’t have made the changes.

Personally, and this is where I start bullshitting again, I think that the issue is the unrealistic expectation that Underhill and Belfry can patch up fundamental holes in player skill and I don’t think any amount of Wick yelling at guys to toughen up will make that strategy effective.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Habibi posted:

Jack Johnson has been calling people all day and yelling this into his phone.

In my mind's eye, he bought one of those old auto dialers like from that one episode of The Simpsons and has it spamming every 412 and 724 area code number in existence.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Just got a spam call from the 412 area code :tinfoil:

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

I totally expected the Sedins to get shafted by the HHOF missing a year of inductions, because Vancouver can never have nice things, so I'm very pleased :unsmith:

Sure, they didn't have the highest numbers or the most awards, but they brought something unique to the game and even managed to make stifling puck possession look cool. Well deserved in my opinion.

Mogilny continues to be a huge snub but they'll surely induct him next year, right? Right?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Sedins getting in kind of feels like a gimmick to me. They were very good players for a long time, but if they weren't twins would either get in by themselves? I'm not sure. I think they'd be a fringe case like lots of other guys who aren't in the Hall yet but have similar numbers/accomplishments.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Jamwad Hilder posted:

The Sedins getting in kind of feels like a gimmick to me. They were very good players for a long time, but if they weren't twins would either get in by themselves? I'm not sure. I think they'd be a fringe case like lots of other guys who aren't in the Hall yet but have similar numbers/accomplishments.

You can't really say "what if they weren't" though, because the distinguishing thing about them is not the raw numbers but their chemistry together.

Yeah, if it was some random guy who had 1000 points in 1300 games and didn't do that by regularly saucing telepathic passes through 2-3 defenders to his twin brother, he probably doesn't :shrug:

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fisting by many posted:

You can't really say "what if they weren't" though, because the distinguishing thing about them is not the raw numbers but their chemistry together.

Yeah, if it was some random guy who had 1000 points in 1300 games and didn't do that by regularly saucing telepathic passes through 2-3 defenders to his twin brother, he probably doesn't :shrug:

And it discounts just how frustrating it was for everyone else in the division for most of those years. The Sedins were awfully obnoxious to see so many times a year. So well deserved for me. Not only would they score a ton, when they were on the ice together you probably weren’t scoring any yourself.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Jhet posted:

And it discounts just how frustrating it was for everyone else in the division for most of those years. The Sedins were awfully obnoxious to see so many times a year. So well deserved for me. Not only would they score a ton, when they were on the ice together you probably weren’t scoring any yourself.

Yeah, they were really good defensively which gets forgotten. Well, just having the puck all the time is good defense. Daniel and Henrik had a career 61.7 and 60.9 CF% respectively.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

fisting by many posted:

Yeah, they were really good defensively which gets forgotten. Well, just having the puck all the time is good defense. Daniel and Henrik had a career 60.7 and 60.9 CF% respectively.

Yeah, there are so many nights against Vancouver where the only thing I could do is shake my head at how frustratingly good they were on the ice. I’m sure there are plenty of Avs, Wild, Oilers, and Flames fans who are going to remember plenty of those games. You just have to glance down the last 10 years of inductees to see that yeah, they probably do fit in just fine.

goldrush
Sep 27, 2005

~~~No Worries~~~
watching the Sedins clown the Oilers every time they played them for a solid decade straight was really fun. Did it make up for the 80s? No. But it was fun.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They both won major hardware and had good long careers. They're way better than lots of players in the Hall.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I don't think they're bad players, I just don't think their careers were all that spectacular either. I thought they had a chance to get in eventually, but that they'd probably be in limbo for a while.

Although if you look at the list of current eligible players, basically all of them fit that description. Lots of players who had very successful careers and a handful of notable accomplishments, but that I wouldn't describe as players that are a lock for the Hall of Fame.
https://www.hhof.com/induction/induction2022/inductionEligible.html

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Osgood, Vernon, Zetterberg.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Koopa Kid posted:

I mean, you’ve posted a lot of guys who aren’t in the league and aren’t likely to do much, guys who made the league in limited roles and have been a mixed bag, and Durzi. And yeah, they’ve also drafted straight-up refrigerators and overage garbage forwards with their picks but their tendencies towards style of play are not only clear they’ve been stated by the team. Like, is there a refutation in those listed picks that the Leafs have selected a ton of “hockey sense” guys without other clear skills?

Sandin has pretty good puck skills, and I think he was viewed as more than just a Stuart Percy-type (which is what Villeneuve seems like) in his draft year. But I'm not so much questioning the narrative about D drafting as asking... so what? All of the picks I listed seem pretty reasonable given how late most of them were. Sandin & Durzi getting in a couple hundred NHL games each or so is already above expectations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

They were close to the best players in the world for a few years there. They're so unique too.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

They're so unique too.
They are quite literally not

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

10 year anniversary

https://twitter.com/LAKings/status/218436839265148931

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fermun posted:

They are quite literally not

You know what I meant. There's no other freaky twins in the hof and there might not ever be again.

When I think back to that era of hockey they're definitely among the more memorable players in it, and their numbers are good too, and both won an art ross. Seems good enough to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm sure the Sedins themselves probably wouldn't appreciate it but it feels like the kind of thing where there should be one plaque and one display reading both Daniel AND Henrik, because we know it's both of them as an indivisible pair being inducted together.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I don't think they're bad players, I just don't think their careers were all that spectacular either. I thought they had a chance to get in eventually, but that they'd probably be in limbo for a while.

If you didn't want the Sedins to be first ballot hall of famers you shouldn't have let your team beat em and make everyone feel sorry for em.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i thinkt they should let lecavalier in so that i will have three (3) HHOF autographed jerseys on my tampa bay lightning hockey club dynasty wall

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Although if you look at the list of current eligible players, basically all of them fit that description. Lots of players who had very successful careers and a handful of notable accomplishments, but that I wouldn't describe as players that are a lock for the Hall of Fame.
https://www.hhof.com/induction/induction2022/inductionEligible.html

Their stats are wrong! Peter Bondra won a WC gold in 2002. Now, he can go into the Hall.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
morning 2 of the Colorado Avalanche being the reigning Stanley Cup champions. not gonna lie, still feels pretty good.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Bard Maddox posted:

morning 2 of the Colorado Avalanche being the reigning Stanley Cup champions. not gonna lie, still feels pretty good.

Riding that high all summer through a parade and into the banner raising on game 1 in the fall feels amazing. Enjoy.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I'm bored now please get to the whacky early offseason trades

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Bob McKenzie's final draft ranking drops in the next half hour or so. Does it make sense for there to be a draft specific thread, or just roll all that talk into here?

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Bob's list is up:

https://www.tsn.ca/juraj-slafkovsky-shane-wright-bob-mckenzie-nhl-draft-ranking-1.1818585

His final top 10 has Slafkovsky #1 over Wright, which is a little bit of a surprise

1. Slafkovsky
2. Wright
3. Cooley
4. Nemec
5. Gauthier
6. Jiricek
7. Kemell
8. Lekkerimaki
9. Savoie
10. Kasper

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

whatis posted:

His final top 10 has Slafkovsky #1 over Wright, which is a little bit of a surprise

You'd think, but apparently scouts are down on Wright for not having a particularly outstanding junior season even if he was the best draft-eligible CHLer by a fair margin (reasonable), and very impressed by how Slafkovsky did internationally albeit against pretty poor competition and despite middling production in Liiga (ehh, not so sure about that). Remember how the Kakko playing against men hype went, and he had a much better draft year and had more room to grow physically. Kakko was 6'3/190ish at draft time (skipped the combine) and Slafkovsky is already 6'4/218.

Pronman polled 9 scouts + 4 execs a couple of weeks ago and the votes were 7-5 for Wright, with another scout saying his team would likely pick Wright.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
There's been some chatter about Slaf over Wright from different scouting services, but it's interesting to see that teams are viewing it the same way. I'm still expecting Montreal to take Wright, but it's a little bit of added drama headed into next week at least.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Sandin has pretty good puck skills, and I think he was viewed as more than just a Stuart Percy-type (which is what Villeneuve seems like) in his draft year. But I'm not so much questioning the narrative about D drafting as asking... so what? All of the picks I listed seem pretty reasonable given how late most of them were. Sandin & Durzi getting in a couple hundred NHL games each or so is already above expectations.

The reason we’re talking about the Leafs draft/development strategy is because Dubas has put himself in a position where he really needs to hit on late picks to improve the team. The team contract structure and frivolous deadline trades are his doing, and he’s also in control of the development staff that develops these guys onward, and it’s also up to him and his staff who gets called up and when. So when the Leafs put a bunch of time into guys with very similar attributes and they all look like fringe players year over year it‘s worth considering if there’s a process issue, even if their individual success rate is expected to be low.

Like, of the draftees that have played more than a cup of coffee like Dermott, Timashov, Brooks, Liljegren, Sandin, Robertson, and Abruzzese it’s all “offensive instincts” guys who want to carry the puck but skate poorly for their size and also are undersized to begin with. Most of them aren’t goal scoring threats (Robertson the obvious exception which is also why he’s one of their top guys) and when you’re not fast, strong or big you can’t retrieve pucks in either zone or battle at either net. I think that’s a pattern, and I think that it doesn’t look like a good one right now, because even at the top of their development could any of these guys be more than sheltered-minute PP2 people? How many of those guys does a team need?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
The Habs haven't had depth at center in 30 years. They're taking Wright lol

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

stab posted:

They reached for Kotkaniemi at 3 entirely because he was a centre. They still don't have one. The Habs will take Wright. You can set your calendar to the sudden last minute draft rankings that suddenly switches out who will go #1. It's entirely done to drum up interest in a low rated television event.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Thank you to Hand Knit for the prize for winning the Kraken contest!

I promise to keep this mini-cup and throw it on the ice at Climate Pledge Arena Web3 Arena in 10 years when the Kraken are still finishing in last place

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When do you get to get rid of that horrible blackhwaks avatar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

stab posted:

I hope so!