Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
This is the thread you're looking for:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3970674&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had that happen in an escape where the evaporator actually froze over. Its a closed loop control bug in the escape where you basically have to disable a sensor to fix it, unsure what would cause a similar issue (if that is what is happening) in a Forester. Motronic, I think, is the resident AC expert.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

simplefish posted:

I will be swapping my EZ30 to something else, the car's value is nothing and I finally have a garage I can learn to wrnch in.

I kind of feel like a 1.5 inline 4 could be funny just for the sheer hell of it. I don't know how well the rest of the drivetrain would play with that though or if it would fit in a boxer-shaped space.

Well we managed to fit a 4AGE into a BRZ with AWD so a Liberty would be a doodle.

Seriously tho, I think a swap to a EZ36 will be an interesting one. The issue will be wiring of course, which honestly is the downfall of most swaps, a wiring merge is a loving bitch. From what I looked at, the EZ36 isnt that much different on the pinouts and the sensors it has - it's a heavier motor but there's a decent hike in power and torque. Also putting a low blo turbo or supercharger on it really is effective and reliable as far as NA's getting boosted goes

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I want bigger more bite-y brakes on my 2019 forester, is that something reasonable to get done? I see suspension swap parts all over, but brakes don’t seem as popular?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sextro posted:

I want bigger more bite-y brakes on my 2019 forester, is that something reasonable to get done? I see suspension swap parts all over, but brakes don’t seem as popular?

When is the last time your brake fluid was flushed? For most people that answer is "never" and it really ought to be done every 2 years. Start there.

After that, it's just a matter of pad selection.

Why exactly do you want more aggressive brakes than stock? What is the use case? I assure you for everyday driving you can lock your wheels up to the point of ABS activation with exactly what you have right now with no problem at all. You just need to push down on the pedal and hold it there.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Sextro posted:

You try different pads? Some fresh centric rotors and Hawk ceramic pads will make it stop pretty well. Fresh fluid can also really help and is worthwhile preventative maintenance.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm in the "don't overthink it" boat. I race on stock rotor size and factory calipers. Better pads, rotors, fluids and lines were more than enough of an upgrade for me.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Daily commute is ~30 miles of twisty mountain roads, I keep up with the fluid biannually but haven’t owned this one that long. I just notice fade by the end of a more spirited journey and want to address it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sextro posted:

I just notice fade by the end of a more spirited journey and want to address it.

It's 3+ year old fluid that's full of water.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Speaking as a person who also races Subarus, brake fluid is easy and cheap to address, but you shouldn't be seeing any real brake fade unless you are tracking the car for multiple laps.

I'd check the pads for excessive wear and see if one of the calipers is seized up or not working correctly.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

daslog posted:

Speaking as a person who also races Subarus, brake fluid is easy and cheap to address, but you shouldn't be seeing any real brake fade unless you are tracking the car for multiple laps.

I'd check the pads for excessive wear and see if one of the calipers is seized up or not working correctly.
It’s in the shop for 90k service today and I already asked them to give a close look there. But, I do have a bad habit of taking lines more aggressive than entirely necessary for most of the commute :niggly:

Sextro fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 28, 2022

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Should I sell my STI for 50+ and just buy like an old wagon or hatch or something off BaT?

I love it but god drat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

2019 Forester brakes are garbage even with good fluid

Sextro posted:

Daily commute is ~30 miles of twisty mountain roads, I keep up with the fluid biannually but haven’t owned this one that long. I just notice fade by the end of a more spirited journey and want to address it.

Uprated pads, rotors is the first point to look at, a lot of improvements to be had there. I'm not 100% certain of the sizing of WRX vs Forester brakes and you dont get Levorgs so a direct swap I cant with certainty recommend for that year model buuuuut I have seen a 2020 Forester rocking STI brakes (will require a wheel change) that will fix any issues :D

(Pads and rotors first, dont listen to me about ridiculous brake swaps)

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 28, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

2019 Forester brakes are garbage even with good fluid

Uprated pads, rotors is the first point to look at, a lot of improvements to be had there. I'm not 100% certain of the sizing of WRX vs Forester brakes and you dont get Levorgs so a direct swap I cant with certainty recommend for that year model buuuuut I have seen a 2020 Forester rocking STI brakes (will require a wheel change) that will fix any issues :D

(Pads and rotors first, dont listen to me about ridiculous brake swaps)

Pads were worn, fluid was terrible. Big improvement for now. I still like ridiculous ideas.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sextro posted:

Pads were worn, fluid was terrible. Big improvement for now. I still like ridiculous ideas.

Also a good set of tyres will be a big help (Altho not for fading brakes of course). Stock Forester tyres are not exactly great either

Also hey...

https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/2019-brake-upgrades-recommendations-on-confirmed-upgrades.828234/

So I bet WRX brakes would be a decent lego style upgrade, might need different wheels for clearence

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 29, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Also a good set of tyres will be a big help (Altho not for fading brakes of course). Stock Forester tyres are not exactly great either

Sticky summer rubber is high on my wishlist. I think the nokian winter tires we got have better traction on ice than the stock tires have on dry pavement.

Majere
Oct 22, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

So anyone have a set of D25 single AVCS heads? Local cylinder head shop wants $800 each for rebuilds.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I posted this in the track day thread, but repeating here: People who track turbo Subarus (EJ257/255), what are your typical max coolant temps you like to see? I did a track day at Thompson Sunday and had a great time but it was hot as balls and I was seeing 225 or so at a few points so I backed off. My track map is very safe; it pulls more timing and boost and adds fuel when it starts to get hot and it was definitely getting into that territory. I only have the stock oil cooler and no oil temp gauge. I’m going to add some better ducting to the intercooler and radiator.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Crossposting from the Question thread.

So I had a bit of a scare today with my Forester XT when my dash started to light up like a Christmas tree; specifically the ABS, parking brake light, and battery light. This was after sitting for a few minutes with the engine off after I had filled up with gas so everything was fine up to that point. I was in a parking lot fiddling with an add-on for my head unit. After getting everything in order, I start the engine and start to pull out of the lot when the aforementioned lights lit up and my head unit turned off and reset. I immediately stop to try to figure what was going on but everything would go back to normal including the dash. When I gave the engine some gas to pull away, everything lit up again. I'm utterly confused as the engine sounded fine as far as I could tell. Then I look over at my Cobb unit and see the battery voltage is reading a min and max of 13 and 18 volts respectively. :stare:

I pull back into a spot and do the old turning it off and on trick and hoping for the best as I don't want to deal with having to get the car towed home. Fortunately, that was all it needed and the Cobb was reading a more normal 12-ish volts. I guess what was happening is that the alternator or whatever was regulating the voltage was malfunctioning and blipping the engine would cause the alternator to send out excess voltage. The head unit resetting was probably an over-voltage protection mechanism kicking in.

This is something I probably should keep an eye on but since restarting the car fixed it and the issue hasn't come back while driving this isn't a must do unless I'm told otherwise. Just wondering if this could be attributed to an old battery (it came with the car and I've had it for over two years) and what part I should be be expecting to repair or replace if the problem becomes more persistent.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Keep a cheap multimeter in the car in the event it happens again. If it does, check the alternator output. Could be the voltage regulator eating poo poo.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Edward IV posted:

Electricity

The first thing I’d check is your battery terminals. Clean and tighten them. It’s possible they can get flakey and have an intermittent connection, so when the car is running all kinds of electrical noise from the alternator and ignition doesn’t get smoothed out by the battery and poo poo goes nuts. I had the same thing happen with my Legacy (bad battery connection) and it caused my radio to act weird and my ABS light to come on even though it started OK. And yeah, I saw huge swings between min and max voltage on my AP as well.

If the car starts every morning it’s probably not the battery.

It could also be a loose ground somewhere. But battery connections are easy to check.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Is the 2022 WRX a bad buy in general? My partner has her heart set on a manual WRX as her next car and it's certainly affordable, it's just hard to find anyone saying anything positive about it. Is that all die hards boohooing about the lack of an STI version? We test drove the 2022 a month or so back and it seemed quick and fun enough. Carplay worked fine. I don't know what else to be looking at as I'd never buy a sedan myself.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aware posted:

Is the 2022 WRX a bad buy in general? My partner has her heart set on a manual WRX as her next car and it's certainly affordable, it's just hard to find anyone saying anything positive about it. Is that all die hards boohooing about the lack of an STI version? We test drove the 2022 a month or so back and it seemed quick and fun enough. Carplay worked fine. I don't know what else to be looking at as I'd never buy a sedan myself.

Everyone hates it because its the clearly the last one ever and its ugly.

The real one is going to be out as soon as october!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Aware posted:

I wouldn't say it was a bad buy and it's apparenty a decent car it's more it's clearly half arsed with the options like better suspension only availible with a CVT and the competition has past it in performance, sometimes substantially

It's also no quicker than the original WRX from 30 years ago. Let that sink in for a moment.

Sure the OG WRX was a absolute hand grenade of a performace monster in it's day and it's to be expected it had to grow somewhat but it's really just a sign how much Subaru doesnt care about it's halo car anymore and the WRX nameplate is exiting not with a bang but a whimper.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
So it's disappointing by comparison to what came before, fair enough, but is it likely to be an actual lemon? It's fine if it's just a sportyish sedan that could have been much better in terms of go fast poo poo. Is there something else in that price bracket/sedan/class significantly better that's worth test driving? Fwiw it's about 50k AUD here onroad in the manual. She's coming from a 2008 Corolla and is dead set on sticking with manual.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aware posted:

So it's disappointing by comparison to what came before, fair enough, but is it likely to be an actual lemon? It's fine if it's just a sportyish sedan that could have been much better in terms of go fast poo poo. Is there something else in that price bracket/sedan/class significantly better that's worth test driving? Fwiw it's about 50k AUD here onroad in the manual. She's coming from a 2008 Corolla and is dead set on sticking with manual.

It’s an Impreza sedan with the engine, infotainment system and, if you get the CVT, transmission from the outback/legacy XT. Oh, and the body cladding from the outback reject bin but that’s beside the point.

I have no idea what you have available in australia but maybe the Civic SI/type R would be another place to look?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's probably as reliable as any other Subaru, which is kind of a mixed bag. If she's leaving it stock and is satisfied with it, who cares. Maybe spring for the extended warranty though.

There are other stick shifts out there, but if she specifically wants AWD then it's probably the only close to affordable option that isn't used. If she's happy with FWD only, the Hyundai N cars also come in stick, but I think they announced recently they're killing the Elantra N so that might dry up shortly too.

E: oh, Australia. No idea what else is there.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Aware posted:

Nah, it wont be a lemon. It'll be a nice car and decently quick enough but not special. For refence here I own at present 4 WRX's and a Levorg. And presently doign a turbo swap to a Forester so while a 2022 WRX is not something special it wont be poo poo. I just look at my 2006 WRX and in comparision it just kinda meh

For 50K AUD, I'd take a wander to Hyundai and have a go of a i30 N. Oooooh yeah thats a hell of a hot hatch and it does come in a manual and it is fast and drat it's a good car. The only real thing the WRX has over that is it's AWD, if thats not a deal breaker I really would be looking first at Hyundai.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 1, 2022

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Aware posted:

The sins of the new WRX:

-body cladding
-no wagon
-CVT only if you want Recaros or good suspension
-no wagon
-no STI
-no wagon

Everybody who drives it says it drives great. There are big improvements over the VA, looks and options packaging aside. And at least one shop swapped that engine out of an Ascent into something and was able to make huge power with it, I think once the aftermarket gets into it it will perform awesome if that’s your bag.

I would buy one in black if I wanted a sedan.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Much appreciated, I don't mind her getting it and it's probably going to cost just as much as getting a 'good' older model given the second hand market right now. Just wanted some reassurance that most of the negative noise is just from people disappointed Subaru are giving up on the line rather than it actually being a likely terrible car choice.

I'm already a hot hatch fan so believe me I've been pushing her towards them but no dice.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Also there is a Wagon version and I think it's even uglier than the sedan lol. No manual option either.

Aware fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 1, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Maybe it’s just the headlights but this honestly looks like a WRX hatch with a Toyota badge.

Interesting that Toyota is making sporty cars again while Subaru is happy putting out even taller crossovers.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aware posted:

Also there is a Wagon version and I think it's even uglier than the sedan lol.

That’s based on the levorg? I’m seeing it for the first time on google search and it’s just weird.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

With gas prices probably never going down again, the WRX gas milage isn't the greatest.

If I had the chance to get a WRX replacement in the same price range I would look at a Veloster N as mentioned before because those things are quick at autocross. It's FWD but fast is fast.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Toe Rag posted:

Maybe it’s just the headlights but this honestly looks like a WRX hatch with a Toyota badge.

Interesting that Toyota is making sporty cars again while Subaru is happy putting out even taller crossovers.

I really wonder if the GR Corolla was supposed to be another toyobaru and actually have STI branding or something on subaru lots but something fell apart and now we have a half hearted wilderness WRX and Toyota has something that looks like an STI.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

net work error posted:

With gas prices probably never going down again, the WRX gas milage isn't the greatest.

If I had the chance to get a WRX replacement in the same price range I would look at a Veloster N as mentioned before because those things are quick at autocross. It's FWD but fast is fast.

My choice would be a Golf R personally but no dice for her. My next car will be an SUV for kids to vomit it so my fun car days are nearly over.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so when you say you need an SUV for kids, what does that mean? WRX and other similarly featured cars have 5 seats, plenty of legroom, and a decent trunk. I have a two year old and its been nothing but smooth sailing so far. If you need additional capacity get a roof rack or hitch and slap some luggage carriers on it.

I seriously want to know what it means when people say "kids" and jump off the deep end into SUV waters and never surface again.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My brother went back to an SUV after years of driving a ford fusion and fathering 3 kids. Lifting a rear door and loading poo poo inside is apparently much nicer than strapping it to the roof and hoping it doesn't rain.

If I had kids, I'd be looking for a Brat with jump seats so I don't have to hear the questions regarding where we're going or if we're there yet. Toss them a bar of soap when it rains.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

SUVs suck rear end (unless it's like a 4Runner or G-Wagen, then they're cool). At least in the US market, the only real benefit to them is the warranty-backed towing, which is mostly bullshit. An Audi A4 Avant in the UK supports 1650lbs towing (unbraked) while in the US you have to buy a Q5. Subaru is the same. Impreza: no towing, Crosstrek (exact same car??) 1500lbs. This really grinds my gears because my parking space is severly limited and a Crosstrek won't even fit. I'm tempted to just tow with my Impreza anyway but I'm afraid the CVT will burst into a million pieces and with today's prices I'll be extra hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hatchbacks are far more usable than traditional sedan trunks, whether its kids or gear or just a comfortable place to sit. And in the USA in the year 2022 that all but means a CUV/SUV. Sad times but the market has spoken.

What that does not mean is buying the shittiest hugest GM-branded BOF truck-SUV monstrosity.