Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rosen Garten anime when?

(I say, knowing full-well that Toonami would have an impossible time picking it up due to the copious amounts of dick and boobs)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

maybe I’m a prude but I’m not sure a thread about a manga with a deuteragonist whose main character trait is “wants to rape maidens” and which features ambiguously underage dragon twin sisters whose main character traits are “want to gently caress each other” would be very good. these aren’t even uncharitable readings.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

MizuZero posted:

maybe I’m a prude but I’m not sure a thread about a manga with a deuteragonist whose main character trait is “wants to rape maidens” and which features ambiguously underage dragon twin sisters whose main character traits are “want to gently caress each other” would be very good. these aren’t even uncharitable readings.

You're not wrong, and that's about half the reason I haven't started typing a thread yet (the other half being :effort:).

If it helps, they do not glorify the sexual assault and actively give that character poo poo for doing it. With beatings. And I feel like they may be setting him up for a future redemption arc where he realizes how lovely his actions are.

That's not even getting into them using the word "trap" to describe Arthur, although that may be a translator issue, I'm not sure.

Rosen Garten is a land of contrasts. Big, long, veiny contrasts.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 28, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One thing I love about RGS is that no one is a saint, every character is a fucker that does unendorsable fucker things, but dammit, they are all somehow fuckers you want to root for anyway. I particularly like Aladdin coming to his new friends' aid in the Money course against his own self-interest.

:v: "Wow, all I have to do is hide behind this invisibility cloak while everyone else gets beaten!?"
:) "That's right!"
:v: "I'd be loving STUPID to come out from hiding now!"
:) "That's right!"
:v: *immediately comes out from hiding anyway* "Yeah, but I'd also be selling out my bros, and we ain't doin' that poo poo!" :getin:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

You're not wrong, and that's about half the reason I haven't started typing a thread yet (the other half being :effort:).

If it helps, they do not glorify the sexual assault and actively give that character poo poo for doing it. With beatings. And I feel like they may be setting him up for a future redemption arc where he realizes how lovely his actions are.

That's not even getting into them using the word "trap" to describe Arthur, although that may be a translator issue, I'm not sure.

Rosen Garten is a land of contrasts. Big, long, veiny contrasts.

Also fortunately, the rape angle isn't constantly around. Whenever it isn't it's a shonen where everyone is insane...with a lot of dicks and boobs.

Beowolf is the hero we need.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

"Awaken, my masters..."

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

last two volumes of the fable are out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/457ff94e-a112-47af-9c66-25a52f41d34e/1

now on to the sequel

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

last two volumes of the fable are out

https://mangadex.org/chapter/457ff94e-a112-47af-9c66-25a52f41d34e/1

now on to the sequel

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The ending of Fable was just right.

The mirrored panel with the boss and misaki reacting to the proposal was perfect.

Is there a sequel??

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Anyone remember the name of the series this tweet was about? The synopsis was salaryman goes against rear end in a top hat yakuza.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

Anyone remember the name of the series this tweet was about? The synopsis was salaryman goes against rear end in a top hat yakuza.

Inuyashiki or My Home Hero from just that description

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

it was my home hero

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

That it was, thanks to you both!

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

fable ended perfectly. everything I wanted to be acknowledged, they did. cinematic as gently caress, as befitting yamaoka. incredibly funny as well. an alltimer seinen manga

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Fable was PERFECT

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
About The Fable, I personally felt the girl got abducted-and-nearly-raped one too many times, but otherwise it was nice.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

I. M. Gei posted:

In many of the various versions of the Nibelungen, Siegfried fights and restrains Brunhild so King Gunther can consummate his marriage to her, and in exchange is allowed to marry Kriemhild.

So really, Rosen Garten's Sieg isn't acting too out of character.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Just finished Billy Bat and it kinda seems like Urasawa's weakest? Idk, felt like long stretches of nothing interesting happening, punctuated by brief moments of maybe kinda something interesting, but in the end nothing comes out of it. People just mostly run around from scene to scene because the bat tells them. In the back half, characters pretty much stop having any personality aside from which Billy they prefer, which in the end turns out to not really matter anyway.

The premise was fun, but as soon as it moved into real world events it lost steam for me, and then lost some more with the second Kevin who was barely a character.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I've been reading through Kingdom and have enjoyed it quite a bit, but I'm at almost exactly the halfway-point for released chapters now and suddenly struggling a bit to find the motivation to continue. I'm struggling to remember the last time I read a manga (or any fiction) which had as big of a climax->resolution combo as this without being anywhere near the end. While obviously the core goal of the main characters is the unification of China, the coalition war really doesn't feel any smaller in scope, and with the protagonists making what feels like almost a complete win it really makes the stakes feel a lot smaller now that it's over with. Especially with essentially no important deaths of characters the reader cares about, and strategically only losing two generals of which one was a non-character and the other being the oldest dude around who crowned off his career with success and died in his sleep. Furthermore, besides the king struggling for control in the looming civil war conflict, basically all the main characters plotlines feel pretty much resolved to a satisfactory manner as well.

And although the battle scenes are good and all, after almost 400 chapters they're kinda blending together a bit and becoming less interesting.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I can say that as of the most recent chapter they still haven't conquered any of the other states though I think whenever the current arc ends they will have

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Kingdom is really samey. My eyes just glaze over a lot of the battle scenes now. I'm still reading it since it doesn't update that often, but it's kinda sunk cost at this point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New Rosen Garten and like always there's a lot going on but it's all good.

Arthur is growing on me and I'll accept the newest members to KR13 begrudgingly. But gently caress Lancelot that mad frenchman for setting his daughter and her friends up like that.
Looks like the tournament will be underway with a pretty heavy opening act. Beowulf and his possie vs Yamoto the decapitator, a demigod, and ninjabro.
Gonna be some tight competition but at least we have some words of encouragement from Seigfried. I think?

It's vaguely good advice if you ignore who he is as a character.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

grate deceiver posted:

Just finished Billy Bat and it kinda seems like Urasawa's weakest? Idk, felt like long stretches of nothing interesting happening, punctuated by brief moments of maybe kinda something interesting, but in the end nothing comes out of it. People just mostly run around from scene to scene because the bat tells them. In the back half, characters pretty much stop having any personality aside from which Billy they prefer, which in the end turns out to not really matter anyway.

The premise was fun, but as soon as it moved into real world events it lost steam for me, and then lost some more with the second Kevin who was barely a character.

I'm a little more positive on it than you but it's pretty uneven. It has some really strong emotional beats and the art's expressive and beautiful as always, but the mystery box / international intrigue elements really dragged it down. I know a lot of people got hooked into it in the early going because of the Albert Einstein-Lee Harvey Oswald-Evil Mickey Mouse stuff, but the payoffs weren't good enough to justify all the intrigue.

There's a moment in particular that I'm thinking of at the end of the first volume where Kevin has a really sweet moment with a red light district worker in an apartment in the moonlight and then it cuts to Neil armstrong and Buzz Aldrin setting foot on the moon and finding the Billy Bat stencil on the surface which was just like, ok, Billy Bat. Fine. With that said I actually also remember liking the Oswald stuff but it lost a lot of steam when the main characters changed like you mentioned.

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 20, 2022

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

speaking of urasawa, I thought asadora! started off strong but it’s been meandering on her high school years. It looks like we’re due for a timeskip (reading the viz english volumes) soon though.

I also read master keaton recently and thought that started off strong as well, though by volume 3 it was apparent how formulaic it would be for its duration. Some chapters are really good post-unification spy fiction with conspiracies and scandals contemporaneous to its date of original publication.

I think as far as urasawa goes, nothing touches the heights monster/pluto/20th century boys did.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

MizuZero posted:

speaking of urasawa, I thought asadora! started off strong but it’s been meandering on her high school years. It looks like we’re due for a timeskip (reading the viz english volumes) soon though.

I also read master keaton recently and thought that started off strong as well, though by volume 3 it was apparent how formulaic it would be for its duration. Some chapters are really good post-unification spy fiction with conspiracies and scandals contemporaneous to its date of original publication.

I think as far as urasawa goes, nothing touches the heights monster/pluto/20th century boys did.

People forget, but large portions of the middle of 20th century boys were very meandering. Still a good manga, but I think that's just a part of most of urusawa's manga, especially the longer it goes on.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Julias posted:

People forget, but large portions of the middle of 20th century boys were very meandering. Still a good manga, but I think that's just a part of most of urusawa's manga, especially the longer it goes on.

This.

I still love 20th Century Boys but it definitely felt like in 1-2 stretches that he kind of just kept the story going through the motions till something bigger/better happened, almost like there wasn't really a planned story arc (or the one there flopped). Monster had a bit of a dry spell in it too. Whatever, I don't care, it's still great stuff but yeah... had some slow parts.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

At this point, I figure "meandering" is part of Urasawa's charm. He has always taken his time to load up the next emotional payoff, and in my opinion it's not always super successful or worth the time. Not everything lands but they're really, really good when they do. And hey what''s my time worth anyway (nothing).

That said, I'm really enjoying Asaodra and especially the latest english volume of with several characters' subplots climaxing simultaneously, leading into Asa's first encounter with the kaiju as a teen and the resulting night flying scene.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

this is why I rate pluto the highest of his works, because he’s iterating on an existing narrative he keeps it pretty punchy

monster and 20cb I haven’t read in more than a decade so I accept that I’m remembering mainly the big beats, but I nevertheless was left with a lasting impression from them (whereas I can barely recall the main plot thrust of billy bat)

Asadora! does look like it’s on a dramatic upswing so I’m looking forward to the next volume

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Pluto is incredibly good.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
It's ok

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

RuBisCO posted:

At this point, I figure "meandering" is part of Urasawa's charm. He has always taken his time to load up the next emotional payoff, and in my opinion it's not always super successful or worth the time. Not everything lands but they're really, really good when they do. And hey what''s my time worth anyway (nothing).

Yeah, this was great in 20th Century Boys and Monster, where characters would go about their business for a while and then you'd have a big emotional reunion and the main plot would flare up again. It made it more, idk, "real", that not everything would always resolve neatly, and sometimes things from years back would come up. I liked these parts a lot.

Problem with Billy is that it stopped having characters or plot at some point, or any reason for me to care about anything. It was best in the first arc when we were still getting to know Kevin Yamagata and there ws some promise to what the mystery was. Then after JFK it just kept getting worse and worse. Another thing that was annoying by the end is how it just mopped up all the bad guys when they were no longer needed, without any payoff or explanation of their motives. Kurusu's arc was fine, I guess. But lmao at Finney just being deleted from the story with barely any exposition of his entire faction and what their goal even was.

And I even kinda liked the big reveal that Billy is basically an insane cosmic entity pulling humanity in all those different directions for pretty much no real reason. Almost cosmic horror-like. But it felt more like a failure of the storytelling rather than deliberate choice.

But then I read Pluto to cleanse the palate and it's back to good Urasawa.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any Golgo 13 takes? I love how historic Saito's run on it is. Anybody read some of the Viz "Best of" style 13 volumes? Any favs out of those? I'm curious to try some, wouldn't mind skipping around. I've enjoyed the anime stuff.

Also, out of curiosity, any word on how it's going with his successors writing it?

And are there any other really really long solid manga series that don't get talked about much?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
there's a new Mieruko-chan. I'm pretty impressed at how often the series manages to get me with its twists, and I genuinely like the path it's taken since it started, I thought it would stop being interesting after a bit, but this latest chapter really took a step in a direction I've been hoping it would for a while now.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
https://mangadex.org/title/07d3503f-d35e-4dd2-aeb3-3973f7d20750/mystery-to-iunakare

Don't Say Mystery is a fun manga about a very perceptive high schooler with giant hair who solves mysteries.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's fun but also ridiculous that everyone this guy meets simply shuts up and listens to his incredibly frequent and lengthy monologues.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

there's a new Mieruko-chan. I'm pretty impressed at how often the series manages to get me with its twists, and I genuinely like the path it's taken since it started, I thought it would stop being interesting after a bit, but this latest chapter really took a step in a direction I've been hoping it would for a while now.
It's really good, and I especially like how mysterious the underlying metaphysics of the setting still feel, even with all the additional information we've got by this point. It would have been so easy to just have a bunch of creepy vengeful spirits, but there's obviously a lot more going on in the unseen world, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are layers that even Mieruko can't see (yet).
And I really hope that this will go toward Mieruko and Squid Girl teaming up to be a ghostbusting duo. Mieruko spots the spirits, and if they're evil: :cthulhu: :ese:

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
It Looks Like My Son Has Been Reincarnated into Another World

Not actually an isekai

quote:

About a mother who has lost her child and her former classmate. Going through her son's bookshelf, she has convinced herself that her son has reincarnated in another world and wishes to find a method to meet him, enlisting the help of her otaku classmate.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's fun but also ridiculous that everyone this guy meets simply shuts up and listens to his incredibly frequent and lengthy monologues.

Yeah he does command unwarranted attention. Maybe it's respect for the hair.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
We're finally getting Tesla and lol at Newton

https://mangadex.org/chapter/2c0c208a-8ec2-47d6-b675-5356d38d66d1/1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Tesla looks ridiculous. I love it.