Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Rigel posted:

When the constitution was being negotiated, which colonies insisted on equal representation regardless of population, anyway?

The small-population states wanted equal representation in a unicameral legislature (the New Jersey Plan), the same basic setup as in the Articles of Confederation; the big ones, those growing quickly, and those with huge western claims (in other words, the South) wanted proportional representation based on population or GDP (the Virginia Plan). On July 2, 1787, the equal representation vote was MA, PA, VA, NC, and SC, no; CT, NY, NJ, DE, and MD, yes; and GA divided, so they were at a deadlock. (NH delegates hadn't arrived yet, and RI boycotted the whole Convention.) VA, PA, MA, and NC alone made up more than half the national population at the time. Ben Franklin proposed a committee of one member from each state create a compromise, which eventually produced the Connecticut Compromise that created two houses of Congress, one for each representation method, and so after six weeks that finally broke the deadlock.

Fuschia tude fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Don’t forget that certain states had an interest in leveraging their, uh, large non-voting demographics

haveblue fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 28, 2022

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

haveblue posted:

Don’t forget that certain states had an interest in leveraging their, uh, large non-voting demographics

Yup, and appeasing the South and the North eventually resulted in the 3/5 Compromise.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

ellasmith posted:

Hey, im glad this came up. 100% serious question here. Are things like the House of Lords or Governor General in commonwealth countries as weird and messed up as I see them from an American perspective or are they somehow not actually consequential? I have a hard time wrapping my brain around how they actually work.

Both are not really a big deal and I wish we had either of these quaint and odd things instead of the Senate.

Generally, governor generals are purely ceremonial jobs, making appearances, signing things they are told to sign, and making speeches. Most of them hypothetically have real executive or judicial powers on behalf of the monarch, but in practice they do not do anything that the commonwealth doesn't want them to do, because they all quietly understand that the commonwealth could just decide its all stupid and stop pretending.

The power of the house of lords is basically just the ability to hit pause on specific legislation and go "wait a second, this law looks bad to us. Are you sure this is a good idea? Maybe you should think about it more, here's a suggested amendment." The house of commons can ignore the house of lords and eventually can get what they want if they don't mind a delay. (either one month or one year depending on the bill). If its absolutely critical that the bill is not delayed then I guess the house of lords might have leverage.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Rigel posted:

Both are not really a big deal and I wish we had either of these quaint and odd things instead of the Senate.

Generally, governor generals are purely ceremonial jobs, making appearances, signing things they are told to sign, and making speeches. Most of them hypothetically have real executive or judicial powers on behalf of the monarch, but in practice they do not do anything that the commonwealth doesn't want them to do, because they all quietly understand that the commonwealth could just decide its all stupid and stop pretending.

The power of the house of lords is basically just the ability to hit pause on specific legislation and go "wait a second, this law looks bad to us. Are you sure this is a good idea? Maybe you should think about it more, here's a suggested amendment." The house of commons can ignore the house of lords and eventually can get what they want if they don't mind a delay. (either one month or one year depending on the bill). If its absolutely critical that the bill is not delayed then I guess the house of lords might have leverage.

Doesn't the Commons generally know where the Lords will come out before it gets to them? Like it's very politically significant for there to be a delay at all, but they are never surprises?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Pook Good Mook posted:

Doesn't the Commons generally know where the Lords will come out before it gets to them? Like it's very politically significant for there to be a delay at all, but they are never surprises?

yeah, since delays are annoying and the house of lords knows they cant stop it, they usually have things hashed out behind the scenes before any vote. But since they have a whole separate fancy chamber and actually do vote on bills, its useful for us to know what the bottom line is and what power they really have if they don't agree.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Rigel posted:

It's worthy to think that despite these systems in practice being ceremonial, and rarely if ever using their power, they still hold power, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis

Queen Elizabeth II's official representative in Australia, Governor General Sir John Kerr, dismissed the prime minister. He appointed a replacement, who immediately passed the spending bill to fund the government. Three hours later, Kerr dismissed the rest of Parliament. Then Australia held elections to restart from scratch.

This is a humongously substantial power, that was met in Australian parliament with comments such as "lmao can she do that???".

She also can refuse royal assent to the UK parliament, effectively forcing the government to dissolve.
Forcing these powers in TYOOL could lead to a constitutional crisis, and dismissal of the monarchy as a resolution, but I do think it's somewhat dangerous to just ignore the tremendous power that the Monarcy retains over sovereign nations.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jun 28, 2022

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Vahakyla posted:

It's worthy to think that despite these systems in practice being ceremonial, and rarely if ever using their power, they still hold power, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1975_Australian_constitutional_crisis

Queen Elizabeth II's official representative in Australia, Governor General Sir John Kerr, dismissed the prime minister. He appointed a replacement, who immediately passed the spending bill to fund the government. Three hours later, Kerr dismissed the rest of Parliament. Then Australia held elections to restart from scratch.

This is a humongously substantial power, that was met in Australian parliament with comments such as "lmao can she do that???".

She also can refuse royal assent to the UK parliament, effectively forcing the government to dissolve.
Forcing these powers in TYOOL could lead to a constitutional crisis, and dismissal of the monarchy as a resolution, but I do think it's somewhat dangerous to just ignore the tremendous power that the Monarcy retains over sovereign nations.

A nuke may only get one use as it were, but smart application or the right threat of it can still cause a lot of harm.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It will surprise no one that the Australian prime minister who was removed by the Governor General was of course a progressive one

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/apocalypsedust/status/1541451874468974592?s=21&t=AQxn-TZ_UHrTZm6tnRWFdg

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Rigel posted:

If we're bringing it up, we should also note that this reduced power of the UK House of Lords is only about 100 years old. Before that legislation required both houses to pass it, like the US congress, and therefore the House of Lords could block bills indefinitely, like the US Senate.

They kept blocking immensely popular liberal budgets, to the point that it was completely ridiculous, the Commons started passing bills to strip the Lords of the power to block or change legislation, and only delay or suggest amendments instead, the Lords blocked that too of course, and the king (George V I think?) was afraid there would be a rebellion if they didn't cut it out so he threatened to create as many new peers as it took to get a majority of Lords who would vote for reform and they caved since they knew they'd lose anyway and have to sit next to peasants with shiny new titles.

So uh ironically the vestigial powers of the monarch were used for good in that situation.

E:
Ah here it is, apparently it wasn't just the budget causing problems, also Irish Home Rule stuff because surprise surprise the Lords were super against that too
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_Act_1911

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 28, 2022

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

hopefully that's only the beginning.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It's the little things.

People without institutional power may not be able to take away his job, but good luck getting good service anywhere ever again. Or going out in public without being hassled.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It will surprise no one that the Australian prime minister who was removed by the Governor General was of course a progressive one

Or that there are serious allegations that he had ties to the CIA.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Angry Salami posted:

Or that there are serious allegations that he had ties to the CIA.

The PM or the governor General?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The PM was an enemy of Nixon and also an enemy of the CIA because he wanted to know what the CIA was using a facility in Australia to do

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I'm seeing memes on Facebook with his alleged home address. :staredog:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Isn’t that public information? This is probably a stupid question.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's very easy to find people post memes all the time with it.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
It's public record, he didn't move it into a nondescript llc until 2021 unlike his fellow justices that probably also live in northern Virginia. I put together a presentation on public record searches for our legal assistants recently and he was the most famous person I could find that kind of info on.

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

ellasmith posted:

Hey, im glad this came up. 100% serious question here. Are things like the House of Lords or Governor General in commonwealth countries as weird and messed up as I see them from an American perspective or are they somehow not actually consequential? I have a hard time wrapping my brain around how they actually work.

Commonwealth countries aren’t a unified bloc in terms of their parliamentary systems - some are unitary states like the UK, some are federations (like Australia), some (few I think now) retain reserve powers vested in the Queen on whose behalf the Governors General act, some retain reserve powers vested in the Governor-General who does not accept instruction from the Queen despite her technically being HoS. Many commonwealth countries have weak (or no) upper houses, whereas some like Australia have a powerful upper house that can introduce and block legislation.

Using the Australian example, we have a system that often gets called “Washminster”, in that it’s a parliamentary system with the executive role vested in elected ministers as opposed to the HoS through appointed secretaries, and it’s also a federal system with delineated powers between the States and the Federal government. So our senate also has an intrinsic small state gerrymander (Tasmania with a little over half a million residents gets 12 senators, just like New South Wales gets with a little over 8 million) because it was set up to protect the rights of states, just like in the US. There’s a few moderating factors on the kind of dysfunction that we see in the states though - mostly related to the electoral system: the senate is elected through multi-member proportional representation with optional preference distribution and voting is compulsory. This results in less traction on extremism (voting is not dominated by the most motivated people, voter suppression is harder when it’s compulsory), and it is rare for either major party to get a majority in both houses (voters can vote minor parties/independents without risking electing their least preferred candidate because of preference distribution and the multi-member system means that you can get elected with only 12% of the vote after preference distribution). That said, the senate can do almost anything that the lower house can do except raising money and taxation bills.

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Liquid Communism posted:

It's the little things.

People without institutional power may not be able to take away his job, but good luck getting good service anywhere ever again. Or going out in public without being hassled.

Sometimes, it's the big things

RFK got a heavy dose of innuendo about violence in the streets over him and his brother's waffling on the VRA.

I feel like Obergefell would be another watershed moment in this regard...not sure how quietly the populace would take to such a stark reversal of what essentially is a societal norm

I do not weep for a court that seeks to undo our democracy and has negative interactions with the very people that they clamor to strip the rights of. I sincerely hope no place is comfortable for them.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Listening to Opening Arguments podcast today was hard. They pointed out that one of the schools in the lawsuit against Maine (I forget the case name), had explicitly in its 9th grade social studies sylabus class objectives discussion how Islam was bad, wrong and dangerous and how students should fight against it.

So the SC is making Muslim taxpayers in Maine pay to have schools attack them.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My oldest goes to a Christian school that sources their textbooks from bob Jones university. The social studies text is infuriating. Each topic in world history is presented, then rebutted I guess is the best word about how they were wrong and needed Jesus.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Cimber posted:

Listening to Opening Arguments podcast today was hard. They pointed out that one of the schools in the lawsuit against Maine (I forget the case name), had explicitly in its 9th grade social studies sylabus class objectives discussion how Islam was bad, wrong and dangerous and how students should fight against it.

The only option in that case is for Maine to kill the program and preset remote learning as the public option. No more of this lazy voucher bullshit.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Harold Fjord posted:

I'm seeing memes on Facebook with his alleged home address. :staredog:

I've seen all of their home addresses posted.

Would you say they have a right to privacy with regards to that?

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Cimber posted:

That's mostly on Maine though. They could dictate a sylabus that schools that want are eligble for vouchers have to teach. But they required only NEASC accreditation and the school to be "nonsectarian".

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jaxyon posted:

I've seen all of their home addresses posted.

Would you say they have a right to privacy with regards to that?

I would not but there's a lot of stochastism going around.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Harold Fjord posted:

I would not but there's a lot of stochastism going around.

Well the security of their residences is now up to the states they live in.

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/GBBranstetter/status/1541852870181793793

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
Slavery is deeply rooted in our Nation’s history and tradition, and therefore

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/steve_vladeck/status/1541868069668143108

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Roadie posted:

Slavery is deeply rooted in our Nation’s history and tradition, and therefore

“except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted”

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

I mean, what explanation do they need?

It helps their side. That's all that's needed. The time of pretending has passed.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

earlier this year they upheld horrible maps saying it was too close to the election to change them and since then have ordered i think three decent maps changed back to lovely ones.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Mr. Nice! posted:

earlier this year they upheld horrible maps saying it was too close to the election to change them and since then have ordered i think three decent maps changed back to lovely ones.

Good lord. Is there really no nuance here?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

-Blackadder- posted:

Good lord. Is there really no nuance here?

Heads I win. Tails you lose.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

the solution to these badly drawn maps is to vote for candidates who want fair maps. oh they can't win because the maps are drawn so badly? well that's an issue for the states to figure out, oh and even if the states made rules about it no one has to pay attention to them

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hobbesmaster posted:

“except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted”

You know, like "vagrancy".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

BlueBlazer posted:

The only option in that case is for Maine to kill the program and preset remote learning as the public option. No more of this lazy voucher bullshit.

It’s doesn’t seem like it’s the only option - they could officially contract the specific secular schools instead of using the indirect voucher system. That would at least be different enough that the religious propaganda schools would have to go through the courts again.