Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Suburban Dad posted:

That's really neat. But what the gently caress is on that power cord, a dried up intestine? :eyepop:

It's very easy to add an outlet behind the TV. I watched this when I did this a couple months back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe6H9sZMkhA

Well, it's a scrunchie-style cord cover that matches the bedroom curtains, but now I'll just see an intestine, thanks a lot :argh:

I did consider futzing with a new outlet but the Project Art Director (my SO) liked the idea of just accepting and highlighting the power cord so scrunchie it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

That's what an offshore sailing tether cord looks like

Just imagine when you're sitting down to Netflix and chill, you're 1200 miles off the coast of California, on your way to diamond head, Hawaii, it's 30 minutes to Sunset and sundowners (rum drinks) are being passed around on deck and in three days you'll be in Hawaii

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj6yZfe7oUg

At the 0:30 mark you can see a guy behind the wheel with his yellow tether on

Edit: link to tether https://www.landfallnavigation.com/kong-orc-tether-single.html

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 18, 2022

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Suburban Dad posted:

That's really neat. But what the gently caress is on that power cord, a dried up intestine? :eyepop:

I like it. It makes it look like the TV is pooping.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
It's the umbilical

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Trabant posted:

Well, it's a scrunchie-style cord cover that matches the bedroom curtains, but now I'll just see an intestine, thanks a lot :argh:

Sorry. You put in a lot of effort to make the TV look good when not in use and it really stuck out to me.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that thing gotta go.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

You can get wire raceway things for your wall that are easier to deal with than installing a new outlet (they just use adhesive mostly) and look pretty decent.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like it. It makes it look like the TV is pooping.

Vim Fuego posted:

It's the umbilical

lol gently caress

Wallet posted:

You can get wire raceway things for your wall that are easier to deal with than installing a new outlet (they just use adhesive mostly) and look pretty decent.

Yeah, I pitched that originally as we have one of those in the living room. Still not sure why we didn't go that route, tbh.

Suburban Dad posted:

Sorry. You put in a lot of effort to make the TV look good when not in use and it really stuck out to me.

Nah, I'm kidding -- it's all good!

no skateboarding EVER!
Apr 21, 2003
Jagermeister & schadenfreude.

I get Victorian-era-ectoplasm-photography vibes from your weird intestine cables.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

just lean into your Videodrome theater and figure out a little air pump system to make it gently pulsate

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Post your projects: So we can call you out for where you slacked off

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Suburban Dad posted:

It's Modern Art, you Philistine!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

just lean into your Videodrome theater and figure out a little air pump system to make it gently pulsate

... in time to songs from The Cure and Iggy Pop

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just throw some wire in the wall , extra points if you cut through all the studs in the process

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The in wall wire kits are fast and easy*, I used them for both of my TVs.

*if you already have fiberglass rods and no horizontal studs

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I made some more signs, I’m about halfway to my goal of 20 now, which I think would be a good number for a booth at a craft market

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy smokes, those are all rad

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Are they LED or actual neon?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
It’s LED, it’s called LED Neon Flex and so far I haven’t been able to find a product I’m completely satisfied with.

You have to cut the LEDs at specific marked points in order to solder the connections, so the closer the cut points the better. I was originally using a wire with 2.5cm cut points, which seems small until you need to fill a tiny gap. I recently switched to a wire with 1cm cut points that is much better for precision work.

The problem is that the original wire was colored LEDs covered in pigmented silicone, which produced a more vibrant color. This new wire is colored LEDs covered in a translucent white silicone, which washes out the color and just makes working with the wire when it is off more confusing, since all of the new wires look the same when they are off. The color of the new wires looks more pastel.

If I could find a wire that had 1cm cut points and pigmented silicone that would be ideal. Unfortunately most vendors only have photos of the wire when it is on (and usually they take a photo of the white wire and then reuse that photo with the color photoshopped in) so you can’t see the color of the silicone itself.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I feel like I’ve hijacked this thread with my signs but whatever I’m happy with they way they look

I think the Luna moth turned out nicely, I’m not as thrilled with Sacke & Sugar and I feel like that will only appeal to a very very small number of people

And a special request I got for a cacodemon from Doom. I like the final product but I don’t think I will do anything this complicated again in the near future

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Deadite posted:

I made some more signs, I’m about halfway to my goal of 20 now, which I think would be a good number for a booth at a craft market

These are just brilliant. Super impressive.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
Just finished putting together a tiny pc for the living room

I put an industrial signage motherboard in it, not super powerful by any means but it's plenty good enough for watching vids and running dosbox.
I'm not sure what I'll do with all the serial ports yet but it's nice to have them.:yayclod:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Cover your room in i2c sensors and program a needlessly detailed HUD for your home imo.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Lately I've been getting into making pens at my maker space. I used to get tons of ads on facebook for a company that makes machined bolt-action pens but they're like $100. Why do that when I could make that poo poo myself? So I drew up a design in Fusion 360, ran off some plans, and started making them. They're designed to fit Pilot G2 refill cartridges, since I had some laying around already and they're available. You also need pretty much any clicky pen spring.

Top to bottom: My first version in scrap steel, second version with my first attempt at a clip, and my latest that I made for my dad. The latter two are aluminum with brass, and I think they turned out quite good in feel.

They also 3d print relatively decently, albeit with a lot of post-printing cleanup to get good function.

For everyone's goony making, here's a PDF of the plans, as well as 3d files for 3d printing.

In general they've been taking me about 3 hours to make one on a lathe and milling machine. The really tricky part is the milled out slot for the knob. It's easy enough to machine, but I couldn't find a good way to depict it in the plans. It's just a slot milled out as specced, then rotate the body 45 degrees for the 'extended' position.

If anyone makes one, I'd be interested to see it!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’ve been volunteering at the playground renovation of the main community park the last few days and got to build a lot of stuff.

Thursday’s work was building this replacement roof for one of the sections, and I got to see it installed today.

Forgot to take a picture yesterday but I built the main part of a moon rover “car.”

Today I installed the suspension beams and wobbler bridge along with one of the contracted workers.

They were very happy every time I came back. “Oh hey devmd01 is here, let’s get him on something complicated because he knows what he is doing!” Can’t wait to show my kids what parts I built. I definitely put my initials on a few pieces where it wasn’t going to be visible.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 17, 2022

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
work was giving away old dell monitors and qvc selling partycades for $100, so...

need to redo the sloppy bezel and add a spinner for arkanoid which was the only arcade game I was ever good at

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.
I finally got a space at a Halloween craft market, I'm excited to show the locals something that isn't candles, soap, or dog treats

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel like if you had the right kind of Instagram or tiktok ad that you would sell a poo poo load.

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Deadite posted:

I finally got a space at a Halloween craft market, I'm excited to show the locals something that isn't candles, soap, or dog treats

Holy poo poo these own where can I find your market

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Deadite posted:

these are are really impressive including your technical skill as both a bender and illustrator

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Truly wonderful :)

How do you plan on pricing them?

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014
Those are indeed :krad:

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Mister Dog posted:

Holy poo poo these own where can I find your market

Roseville, Minnesota in October. The twin cities seem averse to Halloween markets in general and this was the only one I could find. Also the craft market community seems pretty insular so it was hard to even get and organizer to respond to me.

Trabant posted:

Truly wonderful :)

How do you plan on pricing them?

I'm still trying to figure that out. My wife says $200 should be the floor and that I should adjust up based on size and complexity. I honestly don't care if I sell any of them, this whole project was about me not being happy with the vendors I saw at other Halloween markets in the area. I'll happily turn my basement into a neon junkyard with the unsold signs.

kreeningsons posted:

these are are really impressive including your technical skill as both a bender and illustrator

Thanks! Though it isn't glass neon, it's LED strips covered in silicone so it's not as impressive as it looks. The only real skill required is knowing how to use a soldering iron.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Deadite posted:

I'm still trying to figure that out. My wife says $200 should be the floor and that I should adjust up based on size and complexity. I honestly don't care if I sell any of them, this whole project was about me not being happy with the vendors I saw at other Halloween markets in the area. I'll happily turn my basement into a neon junkyard with the unsold signs.

That's easily the minimum price, if not low. I'm guessing the scythe and the coffin were the fastest to make and even those couldn't have taken less than a couple of hours each.

And yeah, if other vendors are selling things in the <$20 range, you'd stand out. But the signs seem truly worth it. How big are they?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Deadite posted:

Do/would you take commissions? I can think of a couple designs my wife would love.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

Family.

Trabant posted:

That's easily the minimum price, if not low. I'm guessing the scythe and the coffin were the fastest to make and even those couldn't have taken less than a couple of hours each.

And yeah, if other vendors are selling things in the <$20 range, you'd stand out. But the signs seem truly worth it. How big are they?

So $300? $400? Again I'm not really that interested in actually selling them so I'm fine with pricing them high. I'm willing to give steep discounts to anyone who will display one in a public way too.

The axe and the razor blade were the fastest to make. The axe only has 4 pieces, wired in parallel, and the shapes were simple so it only took about an hour. The razor blade only has 3 pieces wired in parallel but the shapes were more complicated so it took around 2 hours. Wiring the LED strands together in a series really increases the time it takes to make.

ilkhan posted:

Do/would you take commissions? I can think of a couple designs my wife would love.

I've made some special request pieces for other goons, but from now until the end of October I'm going to be focused on completing as many of my planned signs as I can. After that I have no idea what I'll do.

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

Deadite posted:

So $300? $400? Again I'm not really that interested in actually selling them so I'm fine with pricing them high. I'm willing to give steep discounts to anyone who will display one in a public way too.

The axe and the razor blade were the fastest to make. The axe only has 4 pieces, wired in parallel, and the shapes were simple so it only took about an hour. The razor blade only has 3 pieces wired in parallel but the shapes were more complicated so it took around 2 hours. Wiring the LED strands together in a series really increases the time it takes to make.

I've made some special request pieces for other goons, but from now until the end of October I'm going to be focused on completing as many of my planned signs as I can. After that I have no idea what I'll do.
If one of these was in the backgroud of a goth twitch streamer you'd probably end up with too many orders.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

You never answered my message >:(

Odds are extremely high that if people are going into this fair to buy ~$20 soaps and totebags and poo poo you'll get a lot of oohs and aahs but nobody's going to buy your stuff at any price point over ~$20, so there's no point even worrying about it. You'll have better luck handing out business cards and structuring your stand around getting people to take pictures of your stuff with your name and contact info prominently displayed, rather than hoping you can underbid the candle stand

my wife's been watching a shitload of Forged in Fire type stuff lately so I got some knife blanks and scraps from the wood shop and we started putting little things like this together

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

An Etsy shop with a bit of social media and maybe yeah a twitch streamer or whatever and you'd clean up IMO.