Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I know if my neighbor demanded a family member's personal info for any reason--not just for crypto butt scams--my first thought would certainly be "ah jeez, I guess I don't want to upset them though"

My wife is better at confrontation than I am, I'll admit that I have a tendency to try and spare people's feelings or perceptions about me and it leaves me vulnerable. But if a neighbor wanted to basically steal a family member's identity so he could arrange transaction of a "gift" and got upset that I said no, I feel like it would override my natural allow-yourself-to-get-walked-all-over response and I'd have to just tell them to get bent. If they continued by sending me messages evangelizing the grift they tried to sell me, that's an immediate block - this person has nothing of value to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reading these things does remind me of Trump and how stupid people seem to have their own language of a sort, where the more unfounded bragging and ridiculous assertions you make the more confidence it inspires. Having things like 'realistic expectations', 'actual understanding of the topic', and 'proper spelling and grammar' are seen as untrustworthy and pretentious.

Hol' up... you mean this fella might not have actually made $500k buying two jpegs?

https://twitter.com/hgwgn/status/1541253925222944768

Scratch Monkey posted:

I think it’s also saying that the guy used his Mint Mobile phone to do it. Mint Mobile (mm) is a discount phone network mainly used by people who don’t have the kind of money to blow on monkey jpgs that get them into monkey themed parties
I am a Mint user and I pay $15 a month, and I am deeply hurt by the idea that I do NOT have money to frivolously spend on apes. Sir, I could buy a real monkey if I wanted!!

PITY BONER fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Jun 28, 2022

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Pirate Captain posted:

I thought you could liquidate a short at any point before the call. So if I have $10mil in the bank and want to short $5mil tether it wouldn’t matter if the price goes up to $1.02 at some point because I have more than enough collateral for that. And hey, if they do manage to get it up that high somehow, I could put another few mill into it at that price and make an easy 2% when it drops back to $1. Or if I’m being even more clever, put in 1 mil originally, wait for the whales to spike the price up to $1.01 to try to spite me, then put in 8 mil at that price. I’ve kept $1mil in reserve to cover any margins.

Then you've posted two million dollars with a sketchy-rear end exchange to make $10k. Also note that if the value never fluctuates far enough below what you need for a real profit you lost whatever you spent to borrow the tethers.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

PITY BONER posted:

Hol' up... you mean this fella might not have actually made $500k buying two jpegs?

https://twitter.com/hgwgn/status/1541253925222944768

I think he just grifted his friend. Because, and correct me if I’m wrong, according to NFT “rules”, only the official BAYC creator can mint new BAYC apes, right? The friend just has fake apes now.

Also is it a coworker or friend? That whole post is bullshit so I don’t know why I even tried to apply logic to it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Reminds me of when a guy shorted Axie Inifity's currency because he knew it had been drained of 600m, but lost his money because people kept it afloat for quite a while despite the theft being public knowledge.

Oh, its dumber: the person with the short was the thief, trying to double down on his gains. And it blew up not because people knew and kept the bag afloat, but because nobody noticed the hack that drained $600M for like a week.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

A bunch of y’all keep confusing “shorts” and “puts”. Buying a put is a contract to buy an “equity” at a certain price, that has an expiry date. This is taking a short position, but is different than “shorting”, which is lending out the actual equity being discussed. Don’t do either on a crypto exchange, but especially don’t do it, if you don’t fully understand the mechanics of “shorting” or taking short positions.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
The best way to “short” crypto, in theory, is to find a non crypto site taking bets on crypto prices. I don’t even know if these exist, but imagine if predictit started including crypto prices in their betting lines.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

nachos posted:

The best way to “short” crypto, in theory, is to find a non crypto site taking bets on crypto prices. I don’t even know if these exist, but imagine if predictit started including crypto prices in their betting lines.

buddy I got some apes in the back of my van to show you.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

nachos posted:

I would argue the best way would be to buy long-expiry puts on COIN via your brokerage. I’m not suggesting anyone do this.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
best way to short crypto is to send me dollars and i'll send you back some cents

small butter
Oct 8, 2011

Piggy Smalls posted:

Well goons it all came to a head today. Nugen Coin talk here. My neighbor called to let me know she absolutely had to talk to me today. Nugen is about to go live June 30th and I have to do kyc forms so that the coins under my kids aren’t lost.

I stood my ground staring to my neighbor that had they bought me a lawnmower would I be obligated to use the lawnmower on their time schedule? Why is a gift to me regulated by them? Why not give the gift and go their own way? My neighbor had a retort. “What if I bought you a wonderful steak dinner and you refused to eat it? I bought the Nugen coin for you and the family and you are letting it to to waste.”

He told me that if I didn’t give my ID for the KYC paperwork Then it’s as if I didn’t accept his gift. I told him A gift is a gift regardless of how the gift is used.

As an aside he logs into our “gift” account and prints out papers on how the value is shooting up. The dude is addicted to this whole thing and is addicted to micromanaging his “gift” to us.

I was proud of myself for not giving in.

I get what you're trying to do but this is way too much effort with arguments that are too much on your neighbor's terms.

It is a scam. You know that they're profiting from selling to you. Any money that can be made on these useless and nonproductive coins is at the expense of other people. The only arguments you should be putting forth are the ones that describe the above - that it's a predatory scam and that you're not sharing your info with anyone. "Excuse me, but I don't engage with scams and you shouldn't be, either."

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
tell them you'll buy ten thousand NugeCoins or whatever if they buy twice as much in your own new crypto coin

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Best way to short crypto is to have a hearty lol as number goes down

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

for fucks sake posted:

Best way to short crypto is to have a hearty lol as number goes down

Number has not been going down anywhere near as much as I'd like.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Flowers for QAnon posted:

A bunch of y’all keep confusing “shorts” and “puts”. Buying a put is a contract to buy an “equity” at a certain price, that has an expiry date. This is taking a short position, but is different than “shorting”, which is lending out the actual equity being discussed. Don’t do either on a crypto exchange, but especially don’t do it, if you don’t fully understand the mechanics of “shorting” or taking short positions.

It's designed to specifically be confusing and when intersected with cryptocurrency just lol at having any idea whats happening with your money.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
it puts the buttcoin in its shorts or else it gets the pump again

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Flowers for QAnon posted:

A bunch of y’all keep confusing “shorts” and “puts”. Put holders can use multiple shorts on a single put so if you have 1 astro put and 3 short juices you can create 3 new puts. This is taking a short position, but is different than “shorting”, which is lending out the actual equity being discussed.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
There's actually an ETF for shorting bitcoin.

But "the market can stay irrational for longer than you can stay solvent," so don't.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

let's play NFT or Option Strategy

Long Strangle

Christmas Tree Butterfly

Iron Condor

Shitbeast

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think the bottom line on "can you make money on shorting crypto" is "in theory, yes, but even if you don't get screwed by the flagrant crooks running a rigged system cooking the books specifically to rob you, the returns are minuscule."

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
well the markets dumping today and bitcoin usually follows so I went ahead and bought some cheap puts on BITO because the thread told me to

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

shame on an IGA posted:

let's play NFT or Option Strategy

Long Strangle
gently caress

quote:

Christmas Tree Butterfly
Kill

quote:

Iron Condor
Marry

quote:

Shitbeast
Crypto

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
Bitcorn

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021
Update on my tech bro relative that fell hard for crypto: he blew the $70k down payment on the house he put an offer on to buy the Bitcoin dip before the recent massive price drop. I think he thought he was going to be able to quickly chuck the money on BTC before it shot back to ATH and then sell it all to buy the house with cash.

My whole family is livid, especially his side of the family, but I'm over here shouting "called it!" every chance I get.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

This is a slightly better answer than shrugging and saying “hey anything is possible”, but only just barely

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!

more falafel please posted:

Number has not been going down anywhere near as much as I'd like.

Number ain't going up either.

Do you think BTC will ever see $30k again?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

PITY BONER posted:

Update on my tech bro relative that fell hard for crypto: he blew the $70k down payment on the house he put an offer on to buy the Bitcoin dip before the recent massive price drop. I think he thought he was going to be able to quickly chuck the money on BTC before it shot back to ATH and then sell it all to buy the house with cash.

My whole family is livid, especially his side of the family, but I'm over here shouting "called it!" every chance I get.

He put an offer in on the house then blew it on crypto and then lost the bid on the house, I assume?

Oof

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Beefed Owl posted:

Number ain't going up either.

Do you think BTC will ever see $30k again?

No, but I didn't think we were ever gonna see $17k again after 2017 so what the hell do I know.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Looks like a good day for another sub-20k dip

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Matt Ranger wrote a great blog post about specific ways exchanges target their own user's margin loans and manipulate the price to wipe them out

https://www.singlelunch.com/2022/01/09/an-anatomy-of-bitcoin-price-manipulation/

Don't touch the poop

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HappyHippo posted:

There's actually an ETF for shorting bitcoin.

But "the market can stay irrational for longer than you can stay solvent," so don't.

When it's crypto, it's called "sharting".

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
edging near 20k for a while now

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Blast from the past, I remember this guy had a kooky Bitcoin billboard in silicon valley back in like... 2012?

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1541834075685765125

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Planet X posted:

He put an offer in on the house then blew it on crypto and then lost the bid on the house, I assume?

Oof

I mean, if he had the offer accepted he did more than lose the bid. At the very least he would be out his earnest money deposit, and if the seller is feeling vindictive they could sue. More recently that hasn't really been the way things go because that holds up re-listing the house, but if they decide to be spiteful with the market cooling then lol.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

lol that coinflex names the debt recovery coin they invent "RV" coin when the debt belongs to Roger Ver.

PITY BONER
Oct 18, 2021

Planet X posted:

Oof
The current owner of the property decided to sub-divide the land but got carried away and put everything up for sale before the county approved the sub-division. All the buyers of the sub-divisions have been sitting around for months waiting for the county to approve, so everyone has been waiting to process what the seller has accepted but unable to officially act on. Or something like that. This is all second-hand info from family gossip, and the whole "he gambled the down payment on Bitcoin" part is very true.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Oh no who would've thought that known tax evader Rodger Ver might do something skeezy to get out of an obligation.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A citizen of the EU?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I somehow missed the detail of the buttcoin neighbor asking for the goon's kid's PII. Dude you need to get way more harsh and firm.

Your kids hypothetical credit score and stuff could be damaged before their 18/adults. loving scream you will break their kneecaps. Also when you can, you should get them a secure/student card and then tell them to treat it like a debit card and try to sow the seeds of smart personal fin/banking and hopefully reap a great credit score.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drk
Jan 16, 2005

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A citizen of the EU?

Bitcoin Jesus is a citizen of the world and no man may sieze His assets