Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

How to tell the "geeky" and "in with the hip tech crowd" cartoonist last paid attention to anything in 1982: he name drops Bill Gates as a reference two hip tech kids would be into ITYOOL 2022.

Who the gently caress has even thought of Bill Gates in the last 20 years?
Vaccine conspiracists?

F Minus

Mark Trail

SOB!

The Phantom

OK GOOD I'M GLAD GLAD I SAY END EEEEEEEENNNNNNDDDD!

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

How is this bad?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

How is this bad?

Because it's taken 9000 years and 3 inceptions to get here

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Because it's taken 9000 years and 3 inceptions to get here

Yeah, didn't we literally see this plot happen (minus the future outcomes) before the Mozz story ever started? I could've sworn the whole break-out arc with the truck and grenade launcher came before Mozz ever said poo poo. But then again, that was at least three lifetimes ago. He's already loving done it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Mozz: "now let me tell you how this affects your children's children, and their children and their children's children and..."

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Following seances, I can tell you that - in order - Phantom #1's opinion of these events is...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mary Worth setting up another hilarious Dawn story. :allears:

Ah yes, the horrible truth Mozz has been building up to. Phantom, you will... REMARRY. *thunder crash!!*

Mark Trail should probably trade in the Highlights level jokes for some resolution on the half dozen non-beaver issues it brought up. Maybe address the attempted second degree murder or the existence of cryptids. But eh, nah. Drawing beavers for a week would be better then what we'll get, I reckon.

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2022

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Alhazred posted:

How is this bad?

I never know when people are serious, but I'll humor you.

Walker destroyed his family. His wife leaves him, his children become estranged. One of them lived through a firebombing, that he caused; most parents don't want their children (even grown-up children) to live in warzones, let alone create said warzone where their children are. Even though he's a Phantom, he's a father and husband who failed his children and wife; I'm sure even the Ghost Who Walks would like to see his grandchildren

He's pretty clearly not happy about Savarna, either. She's an obsessed force of nature in love with him, and Walker doesn't want her single-minded obsession around him. It reads to me that he humps a couple of kids into her out of necessity to the Phantom line. He never smiles, he barely speaks to her, and it looks like he's checked out on raising them. So he manages to keep the Phantom legacy going, but only after causing unnecessary tragedy, war, personal loss, and destruction

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Powerful Katrinka posted:

I never know when people are serious, but I'll humor you.

Walker destroyed his family. His wife leaves him, his children become estranged. One of them lived through a firebombing, that he caused; most parents don't want their children (even grown-up children) to live in warzones, let alone create said warzone where their children are. Even though he's a Phantom, he's a father and husband who failed his children and wife; I'm sure even the Ghost Who Walks would like to see his grandchildren

He's pretty clearly not happy about Savarna, either. She's an obsessed force of nature in love with him, and Walker doesn't want her single-minded obsession around him. It reads to me that he humps a couple of kids into her out of necessity to the Phantom line. He never smiles, he barely speaks to her, and it looks like he's checked out on raising them. So he manages to keep the Phantom legacy going, but only after causing unnecessary tragedy, war, personal loss, and destruction

Well drat. This would be pretty good if it was depicted over 3 months instead of 12+. Kudos to you for actually following this storyline so many of us have checked out on. I think a lot of us are serious in that Mozz has meandered and done multiple retellings to the point that we actually lost track of why any of this was bad other than the author dictated need that the Phantom bloodline never be interrupted from.. something.

Kinda undermines the metal as gently caress warning Phantom saw of his melting skeleton dad telling him he failed and ruined the Phantom line though. "Actually it'll be fine, this isn't an ideal outcome for me but those kids have so many badass genes in them."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Doomykins posted:

Well drat. This would be pretty good if it was depicted over 3 months instead of 12+. Kudos to you for actually following this storyline so many of us have checked out on. I think a lot of us are serious in that Mozz has meandered and done multiple retellings to the point that we actually lost track of why any of this was bad other than the author dictated need that the Phantom bloodline never be interrupted from.. something.

Kinda undermines the metal as gently caress warning Phantom saw of his melting skeleton dad telling him he failed and ruined the Phantom line though. "Actually it'll be fine, this isn't an ideal outcome for me but those kids have so many badass genes in them."

I mean, it could ruin the Phantom line if Walker leaves Savarna and she becomes the keeper of the Phantom legacy. She's pretty badass, but she's also a reckless psycho who doesn't care about consequences or other people. Restraint is an underappreciated quality in a Phantom: do you think Savarna is going to be teaching that?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Revolutionary Road, Sam Mendes, 2008

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I kind of wonder if there was originally going to be even more retelling, because the extended "okay here is more details about what happened with Kit" really seemed like it would have knock on effects like a more extention with the search that Phantom immediately went to, probably the fallout with Helloise & her friend, and further fall out with Dana and of course Phantom's apparent final meeting with Kit that was mentioned earlier

but then in the middle of the first search we had a hard cut to Mozz where he's like "uh and then you went drat if only i listened to me" and then speed ran through the Sarvana pregnancy stuff.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I mean, it could ruin the Phantom line if Walker leaves Savarna and she becomes the keeper of the Phantom legacy. She's pretty badass, but she's also a reckless psycho who doesn't care about consequences or other people. Restraint is an underappreciated quality in a Phantom: do you think Savarna is going to be teaching that?
That's what the Phantom Chronicles are for.

It is a weird story because it's a "bad" ending, but not really any "worse" than what would be if he didn't free her. I mean big picture and aside from Kadia dying. Personally not good from his own selfish point of view, but his son finds his own fight and becomes a leader of a revolution, his daughter has a family, his wife moves on in some way (I don't think they got real specific about that), and he leaves the Deep Woods but the Phantom tradition lives on.

If he doesn't free her, Savarna dies, and, well we really don't know what happens then. Presumably Kit eventually takes over the Phantom, but is that so different from the alternative? It's still a life of danger and violence fighting for a cause. Does Heloise have a family? Does she want one? Does Kadia wind up with Kit after all or does that not work out and she kills herself anyways?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Sundae posted:

Yeah, didn't we literally see this plot happen (minus the future outcomes) before the Mozz story ever started? I could've sworn the whole break-out arc with the truck and grenade launcher came before Mozz ever said poo poo. But then again, that was at least three lifetimes ago. He's already loving done it.
No that was the story, the first time around. He's resumed his story, and also gone backwards to put in more detail, a few times.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

--

Q-Rais Talks to Himself

--

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

Murdstone posted:

That's what the Phantom Chronicles are for.

It is a weird story because it's a "bad" ending, but not really any "worse" than what would be if he didn't free her.

I think the collateral damage is more than enough to justify mulling things over, even if you don't include the destruction of wherever Kit Jr lives. Walker loses his entire family and starts a new one that he doesn't want, but maybe doesn't even stick around to raise them. It basically justifies Savarna's destructive obsession and revenge. He's a lot of things, but the Phantom is ultimately a human mortal with a family he loves and doesn't want to lose. Plus Kadia dies

Also if he doesn't raise the next Phantom(s), Savarna does, and all the Phantom Chronicles in the world can't change if your mother is a psycho who raises you to be the same. It's been demonstrated repeatedly that she's impulsive and only regrets the actions she didn't take, and she loving loves being known as a badass pirate-killer. The Phantom's whole thing is he's a mysterious ghost who enacts Jungle Justice and walks the line between real and unreal, you rarely know for sure when he's responsible for something. Even when he does things above board, he maintains the mystery--look at how he works with the Jungle Patrol as the Unknown Commander

Maybe Savarna will be a good steward of the Phantom legacy, but Mozz hadn't said that yet. All he's said is that she'll be the start of the new line. So Walker is gambling on the future Phantoms in a way that he didn't when he expected Kit (maybe Heloise?) to become the next Phantom. And that gamble cost not only his family, it cost Kadia's life, the city in Asia that gets bombed, and who knows what else that follows from that firebombing

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Just wanted to say I too appreciate the hell out of all these Phantom explanations, because it definitely feels like some kind of Groundhog Day up in here and now I have some notion of what's happening/not happening.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I'm not sure how to describe the energy of Sally Forth that I find so appealing. It's like the characters are playing catch-up in their own comic, but not so much so that the times they lean directly into that for a joke don't land.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Drimble Wedge posted:

Just wanted to say I too appreciate the hell out of all these Phantom explanations, because it definitely feels like some kind of Groundhog Day up in here and now I have some notion of what's happening/not happening.

Yeah I've got to be honest this story has gone on so long I don't even know what the gently caress is happening anymore

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is it my imagination or was Sally Forth at one time a verbose family drama strip? I don't remember the characters being this weird or neurotic in the 90s.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

All's Well That Ends Well!

This Strip Feels Better When There's Just poo poo Happening And Not Plotlines

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CommonShore posted:

is it my imagination or was Sally Forth at one time a verbose family drama strip? I don't remember the characters being this weird or neurotic in the 90s.

I don't think it was a drama but Ces definitely turned their weirdness to 11.

I also learned there was a very NWS strip in the 60s also called Sally Forth intended for American soldiers overseas

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I don't think it was a drama but Ces definitely turned their weirdness to 11.

I also learned there was a very NWS strip in the 60s also called Sally Forth intended for American soldiers overseas

The original, Greg Howard-created Sally Forth was a pretty bland mix of family gags and office gags. The weird elements are all Ces's fault.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

...doesn't want her single-minded obsession around him. It reads to me that he humps a couple of kids into her out of necessity to the Phantom line. He never smiles, he barely speaks to her, and it looks like he's checked out on raising them.

Just like my stepdad!

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 29, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Lisa Frank Scary Gary

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
From Will Henry's and Tauhid Bondia's Instagrams;

Tauhid Bondia posted:

I love seeing the boys in another artist’s style. @mrwillhenry really brings them to life in a whole new way!

Will Henry posted:

Make sure to send some nice words over to Mr. Bondia @crabgrasscomic His comic "Crabgrass" begins its run as a nationally syndicated comic strip today and I think that's pretty cool

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

The Bloop posted:

Yeah I've got to be honest this story has gone on so long I don't even know what the gently caress is happening anymore

I honestly don't know where we are in the timeline, either. I thought it was
1) Mozz tells story of what will happen
2) Phantom tells Diana where Kit Jr is, so he won't disclose his son's location and the name of the ex-pirate when he's delirious
3) Phantom goes and frees Savarna, fulfilling the first part of Mozz's story
4) Mozz reveals that telling Diana where Kit Jr is, didn't change the fact that Phantom blurted out the info when he was sick. This means that the bombing of Kit's city is imminent, as is the rest of the story
4a) The bombing may have already happened, I honestly can't be assed to read it again
5) Moss finishes the story with, You done hosed up, the end

Powerful Katrinka fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 29, 2022

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I get people think Savarna is a badass but she is not really a great person to be teaching the next generation of Walkers.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Our Boarding House (May 4-6, 1922)

Toonerville Folks (July 21-23, 1919)

Dok's Dippy Anti-Vagrancy Sweep (March 25, 1914)

I don't hit Dok Hager's "Weather" panels very often, but this one caught my attention.

The Smith Tower, which turned 100 in July 2014 (which means it was almost but not quite finished when this cartoon was drawn), was the tallest building on the west coast until the Space Needle topped it in 1962. The cartoon is launching off the suggestion of a retired police officer to add a searchlight to the top of the tower to assist in tracking criminals on the run from the cops. I don't believe it ever happened, but it honestly sounds like the same type of dream spinning as putting a zeppelin mooring mast at the top of the Empire State Building.

Little Lefty (December 7-9, 1936)

Blondie From Zero (May 23-25, 1932)

The Looney Tunes kid in me feels cheated that Mrs. B didn't come out of the reducing cabinet with a tiny body topped with a regular-sized head.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 29, 2022

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Outbursts of Everett True June 28, 1919

And He Did! July 11, 1919

Cat Tales June 12, 1925

Oaky Doaks December 7, 1936

Mopsy February 16, 1938

Sweatin’ It Out June 25, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems August 27, 1952

Those Were the Days June 29, 1961

Wee Pals August 30, 1966

Dogbert June 21, 1967

And with that I’m off on vacation. See y’all in a couple weeks.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Slammy posted:

So It Seems August 27, 1952

Pretty good for the 50's. Good job, Cameron.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So what I am taking from the Phantom story is to leave Savarna to die, but the Phantom didn't, so all this bullshit story going on is Mozz telling him LOL snowflake should have listened to me, now rocks fall, everyone dies!

Guran, come get Mozz, he needs his Jello and Bob Ross.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Nah, Savarna is still in the prison; so far she has only been rescued as part of Mozz's story.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
all he has to do to avoid this to tell jumpa or chumpa or whatever to go take a month long vacation to the beach like he always talks about wanting to do

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mozz is Shahrazading the Phantom - just endlessly stalling him within a story until the Savarna situation resolves itself offscreen.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Old School Peanuts (Aug 10, 1953)

:same:

Calvin and Hobbes (Mar 15-16, 1991)

drat. Trap sprung.

No Blind Alley today

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

NRVNQSR posted:

Nah, Savarna is still in the prison; so far she has only been rescued as part of Mozz's story.

Thank you, I can't make heads or tails of this timeline

Raskolnikov38 posted:

all he has to do to avoid this to tell jumpa or chumpa or whatever to go take a month long vacation to the beach like he always talks about wanting to do

All she'd have to do in that case is wait for the guy to come home from vacation. As long as he's stationed in Kit Jr's town, Savarna's going to come after him. I think the idea is that getting involved with Savarna in any way is going to be bad for literally everyone but Savarna

Ghostlight posted:

Mozz is Shahrazading the Phantom - just endlessly stalling him within a story until the Savarna situation resolves itself offscreen.

I think you're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Julet Esqu posted:

Pretty good for the 50's. Good job, Cameron.

That's what I was thinking too. Amazing.