Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

they’re probably more rabidly conservative now but he didn’t really have an impact on turnout for the gop. iirc over the last half century trends are that ~95% of people who vote Republican always vote Republican, while a lot of Dem voters are liable to stay home in any given year. Trump winning in 2016 had a lot to do with Dems in battleground states sitting out (or voting straight Dem while leaving president blank lol)

I meant radicalized in the sense of like "living in a full alternate reality. "

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fortaleza posted:

Muslim: As Hell

all*

It's important and it definitely makes it funnier

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

my memory is telling me "terrorist fist jab" because it sounded even more military

Slate confirms, thanks google

imagine losing your loving fox news show over that in 2022

:doh: You're right, it was jab, not bump

Ah, for those simpler days...

quote:

Why The New Yorker’s Obama Cover is a Lousy Cartoon

Cable news channels and bloggers are buzzing about The New Yorker magazine cover featuring Barack Obama dressed in Muslim garb and Michelle Obama with an afro and machine gun, doing a “terrorist fist bump” in the Oval Office, while an American flag burns in the fireplace. The cartoon by Barry Blitt drew immediate condemnation from the Obama and McCain camps.

In an interview on the Huffington Post Web site, New Yorker Editor David Remnick argues, “Obviously I wouldn’t have run a cover just to get attention — I ran the cover because I thought it had something to say. What I think it does is hold up a mirror to the prejudice and dark imaginings about … both Obamas’ … it combines a number of images that have been propagated, not by everyone on the right but by some, about Obama’s supposed ‘lack of patriotism’ or his being ‘soft on terrorism’ or the idiotic notion that somehow Michelle Obama is the second coming of the Weathermen or most violent Black Panthers. That somehow all this is going to come to the Oval Office.

“The idea that we would publish a cover saying these things literally, I think, is just not in the vocabulary of what we do and who we are… We’ve run many many satirical political covers. Ask the Bush administration how many.”

Cartoonist Barry Blitt defends the cover by saying, “It seemed to me that depicting the concept would show it as the fear-mongering ridiculousness that it is.” So the cover cartoon is simply an exaggeration of the allegations against the Obamas.

There are rules to political cartoons that allow cartoonists to draw in an elegant, simple, shorthand that readers understand. Exaggeration is a well worn tool of political cartoonists; we use it all the time. I’ve drawn President Bush as the King of England, to exaggerate his autocratic tendencies. I’ve drawn the president as a dog, peeing all over the globe to mark his territory. I exaggerate every day, and I don’t expect my readers to take my exaggerations seriously — but when I draw an absurdly exaggerated political cartoon, I’m looking for some truth to exaggerate to make my point. A typical stand-up comedian will tell jokes about things the audience already knows or agrees with, “it’s funny because it’s true,” or true as the comedian sees it. It is the same for cartoonists — our readers know that we’re exaggerating to make a point we believe in.

Cartoonists have a great advantage over journalists in that we can draw whatever we want. We can put words into the mouths of politicians that the politicians never said. Cartoons can be outrageous in their exaggeration; we draw things that Never Happened, and never could happen — but we have a contract with the readers who understand that we’re drawing crazy things that convey our own views. The New Yorker’s Obama cover fails to keep that contract with readers. Cartoonists don’t exaggerate anything just because we have the freedom to do so; we exaggerate to communicate in a way that our readers understand.

There is no frame of reference in The New Yorker’s cover to put the scene into perspective. Following the rules of political cartoons, I could fix it. I would have Obama think in a thought balloon, “I must be in the nightmare of some conservative.” With that, the scene is shown to be in the mind of someone the cartoonist disagrees with and we have defined the target of the cartoon as crazy conservatives with their crazy dreams.

Since readers expect cartoonists to convey some truth as we see it, depicting someone else’s point of view in a cartoon has to be shown to be someone else’s point of view, otherwise it is reasonable for readers to see the cartoon as somehow being the cartoonist’s point of view, no matter how absurd the cartoon is. That is where The New Yorker’s cover cartoon fails.

I reserve the right to be as offensive as I want in my cartoons, and to exaggerate however I please — but I want my cartoons to work, to be good cartoons. A cartoon that fails to communicate its message in a way that readers understand is nothing more than a bad cartoon.

Daryl Cagle is a political cartoonist and blogger for MSNBC.com; he is a past president of the National Cartoonists Society and his cartoons are syndicated to more than 850 newspapers, including the paper you are reading. Daryl runs the most popular cartoon site on the Web at Cagle.msnbc.com. His book “The Best Political Cartoons of the Year, 2008 Edition,” is available in bookstores now, and he has a new book coming out this fall, “The BIG Book of Campaign 2008 Cartoons.” See Daryl’s cartoons and columns at https://www.caglepost.com.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hillary doing probably more than any single individual to hasten the end of the american empire

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hillary doing probably more than any single individual to hasten the end of the american empire

The 2016 election:

A Walmart attorney who owned slaves in the late 80's to early 90s versus a fat clown in grease paint who was so famously racist the first article ever written about him called him a slumlord and his campaign was entirely wishful thinking about fighting imaginary foreign threats.

The outcome of which is unelected alcoholic hypocritical jesus freaks are taking away basic human rights.

It's so unbelievably American it might as well be a bald eagle making GBS threads a Big Mac while doing war crimes.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

i knew i should have looked it up but i was phonepostin' so it would have been a pain

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Well also Libya set the stage for the whole cluster gently caress with Russia right now

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

August, 2014 / Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"Donald Trump was giving rides to kids in Iowa aboard his helicopter when he was running for President. I planned ahead and gave Liam a GoPro camera to capture it from a child's eye view. I had no idea he would ask Donald Trump if he is in fact Batman. Trump responded with, "yes, I am Batman"."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfXVFogt70

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Toph Bei Fong posted:

"Donald Trump was giving rides to kids in Iowa aboard his helicopter when he was running for President. I planned ahead and gave Liam a GoPro camera to capture it from a child's eye view. I had no idea he would ask Donald Trump if he is in fact Batman. Trump responded with, "yes, I am Batman"."

this but it's trump taking the wheel of his limo to the capitol riot:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
that lady testified that Trump lunged for the driver’s throat. I don’t believe Trump has “lunged” anywhere in at least two decades

also there’s a partition and a row of seats between him and the driver so I also don’t buy that he grabbed for the wheel

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/joffeorama/status/1097324413672800256?s=20&t=r1R9IiOPSdo-2u2AgF16nQ

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Laterite posted:

this but it's trump taking the wheel of his limo to the capitol riot:

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a37221/donald-trump-batman/

quote:

10 Reasons Donald Trump Is Actually Batman
They're eerily similar.
By Michael Sebastian
Aug 17, 2015

Donald Trump made quite an impression at the Iowa State Fair, where over the weekend he landed his helicopter and gave rides to children and their parents. As the helicopter was about to take off for one ride, according to CNN, a nine-year-old boy looked up at Trump and asked, "Are you Batman?"

"I am Batman," Trump replied.

(You can't make this stuff up.)

The exchange has ricocheted across the internet, launching a Twitter hashtag, #BatTrump, with tweets like:

https://twitter.com/BonnieDatt/status/633288023262797824

This content is imported from Twitter. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

It also prompted a Gawker jab: "Donald Trump lies to little boy." But maybe, just maybe Trump was telling the truth—maybe he actually is Batman. Here are 10 reasons why:

1. They're both playboys worth billions. Like Bruce Wayne—Batman's secret identity—Trump is a billionaire, who has been photographed with a series of beautiful women over the years.

2. They both have rich dads. Trump's real estate career began at his father's company, where he bought properties in Queens, Brooklyn, and New Jersey. Bruce Wayne's father owned and operated Wayne Enterprises, the company Wayne inherited.

3. They both live in a home named after themselves. Trump's primary residence is a penthouse at the Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan. Batman lives at Wayne Manor, a palatial estate on the outskirts of Gotham City.

4. They both have a butler who tends to their secrets. Batman has Alfred. Trump has Anthony P. "Tony" Senecal, according to a 2008 Newsmax story. Senecal, the story said, "is not about to tell you about the gorgeous young women who swarmed after Donald before he married Melania Knauss. Nor will he disclose the secret of Donald's hair."

5. They both aim to solves mysteries. Batman wants to know who's terrorizing Gotham. Trump wants to find President Obama's birth certificate.

6. They both fight enemies with two faces. Trump takes on two-faced politicians and phonies. Batman takes on the super-villain Harvey "Two-Face" Dent, a former politician who literally has two faces.

7. They put their logos on everything.

8. They travel in style. Over the years, Batman has availed himself of a car, boat, submarine, helicopter, and airplane. Trump has a fleet of cars, a private jet that cost him $100 million, a $7 million private helicopter, and a custom-built motorcycle made out of 24-carat gold.

9. They both have secret ties to politicians. Batman meets secretly with Commissioner Gordon. Trump talked on the phone with Bill Clinton.

10. They're both the hero that America/Gotham deserves. But not the one it needs right now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL7PSlUuWPs

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Lmao how had I never heard this one before.

Maybe "I am the Lone Ranger." Just overwrote the memory in my brain.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

The Anime Liker posted:

Christian conservatives earnestly claiming that the 400 pound diaper-wearing hefty-titted Manhattan socialite gossip queen whose entire life was spent paying women for sex at the Playboy mansion while he ran his gambling and alcohol companies and had multiple children from multiple wives and was caught on tape bragging about cheating on said wives... was the risen Christ.

it's so amazing to me that I did not see one single thing claiming that he's the Anti Christ

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Toph Bei Fong posted:

he's really just a big people pleaser huh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Milo and POTUS posted:

all*

It's important and it definitely makes it funnier

Kenyatown, Kenya

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Clarence Thomas went like a decade never asking a question and falling asleep in court

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

what recent Dem failure was it that had Psaki go "we're gonna go to a kickboxing class and get a margarita and try again on Monday!"

fake edit: lol voting rights

quote:

White House press secretary Jen Psaki on Friday encouraged people angry with the failure of federal voting rights legislation to "go to a kickboxing class, have a margarita, do whatever you need to do this weekend" before resuming the fight next week.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

indigi posted:

that lady testified that Trump lunged for the driver’s throat. I don’t believe Trump has “lunged” anywhere in at least two decades

also there’s a partition and a row of seats between him and the driver so I also don’t buy that he grabbed for the wheel

Can can anyone believe he threw his lunch at a wall? Trump hasn't thrown food away in a very long time.

Though the mental image of a streak of ketchup trailing down the wall is hilarious.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Can can anyone believe he threw his lunch at a wall? Trump hasn't thrown food away in a very long time.

Though the mental image of a streak of ketchup trailing down the wall is hilarious.

You're thinking like a normie.

He's rich and powerful. He's extremely used to throwing food, someone else cleaning it up, and someone else bringing him more.

He doesn't eat one fish delight, he takes a bite of 50 of them while his tits get bigger and his staff writes more tell-all books.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

The Anime Liker posted:

The 2016 election:

A Walmart attorney who owned slaves in the late 80's to early 90s versus a fat clown in grease paint who was so famously racist the first article ever written about him called him a slumlord and his campaign was entirely wishful thinking about fighting imaginary foreign threats.

The outcome of which is unelected alcoholic hypocritical jesus freaks are taking away basic human rights.

It's so unbelievably American it might as well be a bald eagle making GBS threads a Big Mac while doing war crimes.

It's so unbelievably American that large swathes of Americans are convinced Russia did it.

Jenny Agutter posted:

Clarence Thomas went like a decade never asking a question and falling asleep in court

He was biding his time.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 09:23 on Jun 29, 2022

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

John Kasich eating food

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

trying to find the "consultant mad at Clinton not getting her frogs straight" post but can't find it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Zerg Mans posted:

trying to find the "consultant mad at Clinton not getting her frogs straight" post but can't find it.
https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/733518431740252160

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
edit: ah gently caress i didnt refresh the page

https://twitter.com/i_zzzzzz/status/733518431740252160?s=20&t=R7ibvu7RbZOprvDifeCBAA

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Not really political besides how it was a White Woman Freakout, but does anyone have the tweet of a woman posing quite innocently with her car in a decent photo, and getting an extremely unhinged Karen reply of some sort? I can't find it on Google. It was from a few years ago.

Echo Chamber has issued a correction as of 14:03 on Jun 29, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

if he can actually juggle and was doing so for that picture I can appreciate it more tbh that shits hard

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Kitfox88 posted:

if he can actually juggle and was doing so for that picture I can appreciate it more tbh that shits hard

It's easier to juggle than to ride a unicycle

I can do both but not simultaneously

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

I can do neither independently so honestly either one is impressive to me let alone both at once!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

o poo poo waddup

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Bruins goalie Tim Thomas working his way up to the majors for 15 years, finally making it big, dominating the league in his mid 30s, and then quitting because there was a black president.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Maybe he threw it against the wall, then threw his tantrum, then walked over and picked it back up and ate it

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

indigi posted:

would have to see the driver's nussy to confirm whether or not Trump would lunge at it

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Maybe he threw it against the wall, then threw his tantrum, then walked over and picked it back up and ate it

I'm hearing that Donald Trump threw a burger at a wall then got on his hands and knees and ate it off the floor LIKE A DOG! Very sad and embarrassing for our country!

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

nah it's par for the course

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

christmas boots posted:

I'm hearing that Donald Trump threw a burger at a wall then got on his hands and knees and ate it off the floor LIKE A DOG! Very sad and embarrassing for our country!
I had forgotten his obsession with saying that people did X LIKE A DOG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah, donald trump hates dogs which probably would have been more effective at getting the base to turn on him than focusing on the poo poo they love