Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Okay so it is 712.14 that applies because both sides of the card lose all abilities when it turns into an island. When it flips it still doesn't have those abilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Tidal warrior applies both a type-changing effect (removing other land types and adding Island) and an ability-removing effect (removing all abilities except T: add U)

When Abbey transforms, the type-changing effect no longer applies since it's no longer a land, but the ability-removing effect still applies, removing all the creature abilities

Timestamp is relevant only to the order in which effects are applied within a layer
Yes but the new timestamp means Oremendal isn't a land, and the rule which says making it an Island removes its abilities also says this applies only to lands, in addition to making it unable to set it's land-subtype:

quote:

205.1a Some effects set an object’s card type. ... If an object’s card type is removed, the subtypes correlated with that card type will remain if they are also the subtypes of a card type the object currently has; otherwise, they are also removed for the entire time the object’s card type is removed. ...

quote:

305.7. If an effect sets a land’s subtype to one or more of the basic land types, the land no longer has its old land type. It loses all abilities generated from its rules text, ...
Emphasis mine.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mezzanon posted:

I stopped playing arena, and standard, and limited, and buying packs.

Now I play modern, pioneer, pauper, (and legacy of it ever fires), and buy singles.

My life is much better this way.

That's whats up. I miss draft though; lots of my core group moved away and I don't really like just playing with randos every weekend.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

just finished watching this, man what a fun as hell trio. I've not watched the prior shuffle up and plays, are any others this good?

Also, hell yeah Arin's on next week, looking forward to that. pretty funny that he's blinged out his deck with Japanese mystical archives that he can't read out what the card actually does on a whim :v:

The first episode of the series with Tappy constantly ragging on Prof is pretty great. The episode before this one with the One More Mana crew was very enjoyable for me as well. Your mileage may vary but I'd give them all a shot. Personally I found the second episode to be sort of a bore.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Captain Invictus posted:

just finished watching this, man what a fun as hell trio. I've not watched the prior shuffle up and plays, are any others this good?

Also, hell yeah Arin's on next week, looking forward to that. pretty funny that he's blinged out his deck with Japanese mystical archives that he can't read out what the card actually does on a whim :v:

They're all good to great, honestly

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

You can play A LOT of Magic and not interact with Secret Lairs or Special Boosters at all. Also the cadence of sets coming out for standard/modern are pretty much exactly the same as it's been for years and years.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
tbh if you're a Content Creator (tm) for magic there's an obligation put upon you for keeping up with every single new release and update at least information-wise if not actually buying in, and a lot of the greater fandom as a whole looks at the Content they Consume to form their opinions, so when the Content Creator gets burnt out the people who should be picking and choosing what they care about based on what they, like, actually care about and will effect them, they feel the burnout about as hard

this is why monetizing your hobbies sucks, and why in general i think if you're not enjoying a hobby anymore and it's not your actual job you should just cut away as much ancillary stuff you aren't enjoying and/or just shelve it entirely for a while until it starts appealing to you again.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes but the new timestamp means Oremendal isn't a land, and the rule which says making it an Island removes its abilities also says this applies only to lands, in addition to making it unable to set it's land-subtype:

I would argue that the Tidal Warrior effect continues to apply (611.2c) and will do as much as it can (609.3), applying the rest of 305.7 even though the permanent can no longer have a land subtype.

613.6. If an effect should be applied in different layers and/or sublayers, the parts of the effect each apply in their appropriate ones. If an effect starts to apply in one layer and/or sublayer, it will continue to be applied to the same set of objects in each other applicable layer and/or sublayer, even if the ability generating the effect is removed during this process.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Shitpeas posted:

I would argue that the Tidal Warrior effect continues to apply (611.2c) and will do as much as it can (609.3), applying the rest of 305.7 even though the permanent can no longer have a land subtype.

613.6. If an effect should be applied in different layers and/or sublayers, the parts of the effect each apply in their appropriate ones. If an effect starts to apply in one layer and/or sublayer, it will continue to be applied to the same set of objects in each other applicable layer and/or sublayer, even if the ability generating the effect is removed during this process.

But Tidal Warrior's effect one does one thing: It changes the subtype of a land into an island.
It is the rules that do the rest.
So sure, it still applies, and it still does as much as it can but that ends up being nothing. Without being a land, you can't change it's land subtype to island.
If you can't set the subtype to island, you can't do the other things.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Mezzanon posted:

I stopped playing arena, and standard, and limited, and buying packs.

Now I play modern, pioneer, pauper, (and legacy of it ever fires), and buy singles.

My life is much better this way.

Same except I only really play modern (will probably start doing pioneer soon)

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Yeah that all tracks. The content deluge is overwhelming, and the Baldurs Gate stuff in particular is kind of off-putting.

Hasbro is gonna do their thing but the seams are really showing as far as their attempt to squeeze every available dollar out of the player base.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Just saw this posted on Youtube (don't judge me Pawn Stars is my guilty pleasure)

So, this guy bought in a shitload of test cards from Pre-Alpha? They were valued at $400 a piece (27 total) for $10,800. Is that about right or is that an extreme low ball price?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6_82R2Zto

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah i think its safe to say thats very very low. Those would be extremely valuable to certain collectors whod want to own mtg history, and i doubt pawn stars guy is valuing with that in mind

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The mtg play test cards are priceless, pawn stars dude is a well known ripoff

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 48 hours!
Playing cards? And they're only pre-Alpha test cards? Well, ah, I'll give you 35 cents.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

So, this guy bought in a shitload of test cards from Pre-Alpha? They were valued at $400 a piece (27 total) for $10,800. Is that about right or is that an extreme low ball price?

Looking at Heritage Auctions, there have been auctions last year with even the most draft-chaff common graded at CGC7 going for $4,000 with name cards like Time Walk going for $30,000+.

Yes, Pawn Stars was ripping this dude off for ~5-10% of actual value.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Looking at Heritage Auctions, there have been auctions last year with even the most draft-chaff common graded at CGC7 going for $4,000 with name cards like Time Walk going for $30,000+.

Yes, Pawn Stars was ripping this dude off for ~5-10% of actual value.

Hahaha i was thinking "theyre probably worth 1000 bucks easy but i dont really know" and it turns out i was also lowballing it

Holy poo poo thats just theft at 400

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I'm not surprised by Rick's offer to the guy since doesn't know poo poo about the game I was more curious about the guy who appraised them at $400 since he owns a card shop I would have assumed he would have known what he was seeing.

Well, it's also a scripted TV show so yeah. That just seemed like a crazy appraisal to me

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Well, it's also a scripted TV show so yeah. That just seemed like a crazy appraisal to me

The Pawn Shop owner, and his appraiser, are on the "same side" of the transaction. It's in this side's interest to low-ball the Card Owner. If the Card Owner, on the opposite side of the transaction, doesn't realize this, then that's just a poor choice on their part.

It's like putting up your house on the market for $1, and then asking the people who come to look at it what they think it's worth before they make you an offer to buy. It's your responsibility, as the owner of a valuable asset, to not gently caress up the valuation.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I'm glad the kid didn't take that offer heh.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Any one in Montreal? Trying to find a lgs to play at.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Any one in Montreal?

nope, it's uninhabitable wasteland

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Just saw this posted on Youtube (don't judge me Pawn Stars is my guilty pleasure)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC6_82R2Zto

Lmao idiot should of gone to Rudy

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

kalel posted:

nope, it's uninhabitable wasteland

Seriously, honey in bagels? gently caress off

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

You are welcome to post that here of course, but you can also try the goons seeking games stickied thread.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I’ll be at CommandFest (I know that doesn’t help RIGHT NOW)

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

smdh Montreal Smoked Meat literally erases any of their culinary sins

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Balon posted:

I’ll be at CommandFest (I know that doesn’t help RIGHT NOW)

Oh, what’s that? As a noob should I go?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Montreal has the best bagels, I will fight you (in a children’s card game).

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Never had honey in a bagel, but it doesnt sound bad if its light tbh

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
bagel + butter + honey is a great treat

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Honey on bagels is fine, and you can even put it into your creamcheese.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

apricot jam and plain cream cheese on a bagel is a lovely treat

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

It's not on the bagels, they boil the bagels in water that has honey in it. Also I'm just joking, I went to Montreal a few years back and had a lovely time and the bagels were tasty

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

mandatory lesbian posted:

I heard once that if you have honey on a bagel you can have honey anytime.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: Honey Belongs On A Bagel

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Froghammer posted:

Traditional Games > Magic: The Gathering: Honey Belongs On A Bagel

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Montreal style bagels are really good! You should try them if you get the chance.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It's normally best to wait for a week or so after people start opening product right?

I wanna pick up playsets of W6 and Cavern, but ideally I'd like them to drop a little more than the current preorder prices, but I'm wondering if they'll start climbing immediately since the boxes are so expensive and they're both mythics

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Elvis_Maximus posted:

It's normally best to wait for a week or so after people start opening product right?

I wanna pick up playsets of W6 and Cavern, but ideally I'd like them to drop a little more than the current preorder prices, but I'm wondering if they'll start climbing immediately since the boxes are so expensive and they're both mythics

I'd honestly wait a month. With how much they shorted the print run of this, it's super hard to tell if, at all, the price will significantly drop on any of these reprints at mythic that aren't from the commander precons, save for Dockside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Montreal style bagels are really good! You should try them if you get the chance.

Getting a passport is way too much hassle, altho the ways things are going i might be a refugee in a couple years