Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Knew about Green Hill already from blurry pictures and some leaks, but it’s still kinda disappointing to have confirmation. I’d honestly be fine if it was just a lookalike a la Windy Hill or Emerald Hill but it seems like the exact same place as Generations. The city level looks neat though.

Palmtree Panic posted:

https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/1541786812615622658

You can see this weirdo floating by the big robot at the end of the trailer.

Possible/probable spoilers based on leaks:
The press release that leaked the basic plot mentioned Eggman’s AI that he tried to install in the ancient system was called SAGE, so I wonder if that character is supposed to be it, or part of the Starfall Islands ruins that it got hooked up to.
In any case I like the design. It’s anime as hell but that’s right up my alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

Kind of curious what role (if any) Eggman’s gonna play in this game as well (so far I believe Tails, Amy, and Knuckles have been confirmed as making an appearance but it seems like at the moment Sonic’s still the only playable character)

Unfortunately if Team Sonic Racing is anything to go by the latter will no longer be voiced by Travis Willingham from here on out

Knuckles isn’t appearing as far as we know, he’s just in the prologue animation they’re making. Sonic, Tails, and Amy are the only ones said to have gone to the Starfall Islands and the files left in Origins only mention them and Big for the fishing system/minigame. That doesn’t mean he’s definitely not there, but it doesn’t look like it.

Eggman’s role is that he developed an advanced AI and tries to upload it into some ancient computer system in the Starfall Islands ruins, but it goes berserk. Someone who played the demo at SGF said he seemed just as confused as Sonic in the cutscene they saw but that’s all we know.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They should do an & Knuckles expansion DLC. Knuckles is more suited to open world exploration than Sonic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Knuckles isn’t appearing as far as we know, he’s just in the prologue animation they’re making. Sonic, Tails, and Amy are the only ones said to have gone to the Starfall Islands and the files left in Origins only mention them and Big for the fishing system/minigame. That doesn’t mean he’s definitely not there, but it doesn’t look like it.

Eggman’s role is that he developed an advanced AI and tries to upload it into some ancient computer system in the Starfall Islands ruins, but it goes berserk. Someone who played the demo at SGF said he seemed just as confused as Sonic in the cutscene they saw but that’s all we know.

Oh, I assumed the animation was evidence that Knuckles was involved in the game’s story somehow (otherwise why make the short about him specifically)

Though the Big fishing stuff may be our first indication that Sonic might not be the only playable character in the game however (maybe after saving one of your friends they become playable and as such you can use their abilities to explore more of the island), we’ll see I guess

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 28, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
no chao garden, no sale

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Detective No. 27 posted:

They should do an & Knuckles expansion DLC. Knuckles is more suited to open world exploration than Sonic.

They should make the & Knuckles expansion and have it cover what Knuckles was doing during the events of the main game...Which means it's going to be a completely unrelated Bonzai Gardening sim.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

KingKalamari posted:

They should make the & Knuckles expansion and have it cover what Knuckles was doing during the events of the main game...Which means it's going to be a completely unrelated Bonzai Gardening sim.

is this supposed to be a bad thing?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Khanstant posted:

??????? how was anyone at any point supposed to get that this grassy hill area we've seen is an alien planet? if it's an alien planet, it is indistinguishable from any grassy generic videogame location set on earth. at best ill accept sonic is running around in the HZD post-apocalypse era.
Alien as in “strange and foreign to Sonic” not alien as in “extraterrestrial” lol

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

The press release that leaked the basic plot mentioned Eggman’s AI that he tried to install in the ancient system was called SAGE, so I wonder if that character is supposed to be it, or part of the Starfall Islands ruins that it got hooked up to.

I swear to god this better not be another Emerl situation.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A Cup of Ramen posted:

I swear to god this better not be another Emerl situation.

Awakening some kind of power he ultimately can’t handle seems pretty on brand for Eggman to be fair

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjwfj0iwMA

New trailer for the Switch version. Shows a brief glimpse of cyberspace and some much more Sonic-y music

Embargo lifts tomorrow yeah?

This looks bland as gently caress, so I'm interested to see more than just this tease of the full game experience.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Augus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJjwfj0iwMA

New trailer for the Switch version. Shows a brief glimpse of cyberspace and some much more Sonic-y music

I really like the narrators attempts to convince the viewer that the game is speedy, fast flowing whist showing us scenes of on rail gliding, stuttery and static combat and a general lack of flow and speed.

Man the 3D games really do suck.

They should just make more manias already.

Surely it's a hell of a lot easier to build a 2D sonic than a 3D one?

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing the story mode in Origins, and I just got a thing where the game just took Hyper Sonic away. I got all the super emeralds, and then in lava reff 2, suddenly the transformation doesn't work anymore. I figured, whatever, the jump button doesn't work half the time in 1. It's fine. Next time I found a giant ring, it was jus ta normal one. And instead of giving me rings, it took me to the first Chaos Emerald stage. When I hit a red sphere right away to leave, it showed me that I only had the second emerald. And none of the super emeralds were there in hidden palace zone.

This collection sucks. I swear it feels like only 2 works right. I don't know enough about CD to know if they screwed that up or not. But I'll assume it's fine too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Palmtree Panic posted:

https://twitter.com/SEGAbits/status/1541786812615622658

You can see this weirdo floating by the big robot at the end of the trailer.

I look forward to comic relief/assist mode activation character, Cope.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Given the weird effects on her, and the general aesthetic of the enemies, I wonder if the whole island is a computer simulation Sonic is trapped in. So Sage would insist he ditch his friends since they aren’t real.

…while not just saying that outright because gotta stretch that plot.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Given the weird effects on her, and the general aesthetic of the enemies, I wonder if the whole island is a computer simulation Sonic is trapped in. So Sage would insist he ditch his friends since they aren’t real.

…while not just saying that outright because gotta stretch that plot.

This is apparently the general plot according to the wiki:

quote:

In Sonic Frontiers, Sonic, Tails and Amy embark on a journey to the Starfall Islands where an ancient civilization once existed and untold tragedies have transpired to investigate the disappearance of the Chaos Emeralds. However, things take a turn for the dramatic immediately; as they approach the islands, sudden trouble hits their plane, and they are all sucked into a wormhole. Sonic soon after finds himself separated from his friends, eventually awakening in a strange, digital world – Cyber Space.

Miraculously, he manages to escape Cyber Space and the bewildered hedgehog soon wakes up all alone on Kronos Island, one of the Starfall Islands, which is full of ancient ruins where strange enemies roam. There, Sonic encounters an AI talking to him through a flying drone, which gives Sonic some cryptic direction about how to save his friends and collect the Chaos Emeralds.Now, Sonic sets out on a journey to discover all the mysteries of the Starfall Islands, rescue his friends, and discover how it all ties together, which leads to Sonic becoming locked in a race against time to defeat his arch-nemesis, Dr. Eggman.

Throughout his journey, Sonic's "never say die" attitude will be put to the test as his indomitable spirit carries him along on his journey and allows him to help his friends who are tackling their own personal challenges. Along the way, Sonic will also encounter someone whose very identity will be shaped by their interactions with Sonic. He also meets a mysterious girl named Sage, who cautions Sonic to leave the Starfall Islands despite his mission to find and save his friends.

Out of curiosity, where did the extra detail of Eggman creating Sage come from?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2022

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Larryb posted:

This is apparently the general plot according to the wiki:

Out of curiosity, where did the extra detail of Eggman creating Sage come from?

Interesting, there's a few bits of that I hadn't heard before, like him awakening in cyberspace or "untold tragedies" happening.
My source for Eggman's involvement is a press release on Polygon that was quickly edited to remove the story details. It's the same one that revealed Ian Flynn was writing it. Here's a brief overview from when it came out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if nothing else frontiers’s story seems pretty promising based on what we’ve heard from Ian Flynn

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I did see a clarification, unsure if it's valid, that Flynn didn't actually write the overarching story, but he did write the scripts from the story he was given.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm up to the end of Sonic 2 in Story Mode, with all the emeralds / time stones. First time in about 25 years getting Super Sonic in Sonic 2 "legit". Even with the technical improvements the latter special stages are still bullshit and require you to memorise the course, but they're ultimately not too bad - I only needed one or two retries at worst so even without coins I probably would have gotten Super Sonic by the end of the game.

On to S3&K! I'm concerned I might need a map to find the big rings, when I was a kid I just used to load into Angel Island / Mushroom Hill and reset after getting an emerald so I could reuse the same ones over and over.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

sonic frontiers shaping up to be a day 1 purchase! nice!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Am I the only one who gets Drakengard vibes from Sage?

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Sonic should exist only in a saturated late 90s/early 2000s version of San Francisco

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

womb with a view posted:

Sonic should exist only in a saturated late 90s/early 2000s version of San Francisco

Gotta go to work fast!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Honestly, Angel Island would be a great place for an open world game. If the core gameplay of Frontiers is any good at all, a remake of S3K in that style could be really cool.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Origins removed the bug where you could jump off the bridge Knuckles destroys at the end of Angel Island Zone, opening a return ticket with Steam rn

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

Tails tho.

He can even swim, and it'd probably be easier to design a world around flight/swim limits then trying to account for infinite climbing/gliding?

Also various upgrades and gadgets would be a cool callback to Tails Adventure.

In fact, make Tails Adventure 2 as a modern open world game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I am sort of curious why they’re making a tie-in short for the game specifically focused on Knuckles though, maybe he shows up later on and/or as mentioned they’re giving him his own DLC chapter like they did with Shadow in Forces

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The most important feature of Sonic 3, spin dashing on top of the wheels in Marble Garden still bounce you up in the spin dash animation minus the dust being kicked up is still in Origins.

Doc Melonhead
Sep 2, 2018

Knew about Green Hill already from blurry pictures and some leaks, but it’s still kinda disappointing to have confirmation. I’d honestly be fine if it was just a lookalike a la Windy Hill or Emerald Hill but it seems like the exact same place as Generations. The city level looks neat though.

Possible/probable spoilers based on leaks:
In any case I like the design. It’s anime as hell but that’s right up my alley.

Her color scheme reminds me of Infinite.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pants Donkey posted:

The most important feature of Sonic 3, spin dashing on top of the wheels in Marble Garden still bounce you up in the spin dash animation minus the dust being kicked up is still in Origins.

Yes

Got seven emeralds and that new Super theme is very bad. I'd rather hear the S&K one looping every 12 seconds.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Oxyclean posted:

He can even swim, and it'd probably be easier to design a world around flight/swim limits then trying to account for infinite climbing/gliding?

Makes me think a knuckles game would just be an Assassins Creed and I’m already not interested

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am okay with the Super Sonic theme. I’d have preferred the prototype one, of course.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

KingKalamari posted:

Gotta go to work fast!

Sonic wearing a hat draws attention to me that Sonic is naked.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Disco Pope posted:

Sonic wearing a hat draws attention to me that Sonic is naked.

The gloves and shoes didn't?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Larryb posted:

I am sort of curious why they’re making a tie-in short for the game specifically focused on Knuckles though, maybe he shows up later on and/or as mentioned they’re giving him his own DLC chapter like they did with Shadow in Forces

I’m gonna guess based on the teaser clip that the master emerald will factor into the story somehow.

poo poo, when was the last time Knuckles being the guardian of the master emerald was even mentioned in the 3D games? SA2?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i cant wait to finally murder eggman

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Augus posted:

I’m gonna guess based on the teaser clip that the master emerald will factor into the story somehow.

poo poo, when was the last time Knuckles being the guardian of the master emerald was even mentioned in the 3D games? SA2?

Rouge alludes to it at the end of Heroes when she says she’s going to “go hunt for someone else’s treasure” and Knuckles immediately chases after her but that’s about it as far as I recall.

The last time the Master Emerald was mentioned at all to my knowledge was in Sonic Chronicles for the DS (and maybe his character bio in Generations)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Also, I forgot the remade Sonic 2 HPZ doesn't actually use the HPZ music. I have to assume it was Sega saying no, but what an odd choice/restriction - like I can't imagine it's a rights thing since HPZ's music was in Sonic 2 originally, and they reused tilesets and art without issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Pants Donkey posted:

I am okay with the Super Sonic theme. I’d have preferred the prototype one, of course.

It would be a lot better if it used the same sound fonts as the originals. Right now it sounds like a Sonic 4 track dropped into the game.