Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

What if you had a little cleat on your shoe so that you'd always get your foot just where you like it on the pedal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

bicievino posted:

What if you had a little cleat on your shoe so that you'd always get your foot just where you like it on the pedal?

Doesn't work for me, I'm significantly duckfooted and my right (back) foot has the pedal close to my heel so that my foot doesn't go into my wheel or hit the chainstay. Even with a cleat all the way rearward and running a ton of float, my foot is still held too parallel to the bike and it makes my knees point at each other.

You can sorta see it here, how far to the back of my feet I run the pedals and how I can't even run my entire right foot on the pedal (how it doesn't go to the far side of my shoe).

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

bicievino posted:

It’s a different feeling all together really.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
Anyone know the trails in brown county Indiana and could recommend a good quick shuttle route? I’m going to be driving by on the way across the country in a few weeks with wife and kid, heading east through Nashville from Bloomington. Logistics likely won’t allow a proper ride, but I could probably convince my wife to drop me off for a quick descent.

Right? She’ll think that’s a great idea? Right? Guys??

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Midwest, shuttle, descent? :confused:

I haven't been there but I'm a bit skeptical. Friends have went and they said it was cool but don't know much more than that. I can't imagine there's much elevation around those parts. I'd love to be wrong though because it's a lot closer than out west or Appalachia.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Mexican Radio posted:

Anyone know the trails in brown county Indiana and could recommend a good quick shuttle route? I’m going to be driving by on the way across the country in a few weeks with wife and kid, heading east through Nashville from Bloomington. Logistics likely won’t allow a proper ride, but I could probably convince my wife to drop me off for a quick descent.

Right? She’ll think that’s a great idea? Right? Guys??

This will be kind of contrived but I would say you got two options.

Drop off at Rally Camp, Limekin trail to schooner Trace. Stop when you get to the road. Like 5 ish miles.

Drop off at Hesitation Point, Hobbs hollow to shelly trail to a bit of aynes loops to north tower loop to pick up at north tower parking. maybe 7 miles. You could go up to rally camp and start there and add limekin to schooner for about 12 miles.

None of these are "shuttles" so much as they are point to point. Hobbs Hollow would be the highest on my list.

E: obviously she will love the idea.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 19, 2022

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh Colorado why must you torment me with such hideous views just 10 minutes from my apartment.

Finally cleaned Blue Ribbon on the downhill, which is a good feeling. Had to stop a few times but finally got through all the obstacles. Climbing Three Gulch, not so much...

Red Hill in Carbondale is a great system but the climb into it is a bear. Just gives me something to keep working on in a valley dominated by well manicured climbs and flowy descents!

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?

spwrozek posted:

This will be kind of contrived but I would say you got two options.

Drop off at Rally Camp, Limekin trail to schooner Trace. Stop when you get to the road. Like 5 ish miles.

Drop off at Hesitation Point, Hobbs hollow to shelly trail to a bit of aynes loops to north tower loop to pick up at north tower parking. maybe 7 miles. You could go up to rally camp and start there and add limekin to schooner for about 12 miles.

None of these are "shuttles" so much as they are point to point. Hobbs Hollow would be the highest on my list.

E: obviously she will love the idea.

Thanks! That’s what I was looking for. Shuttle is a generous description, true. Fingers crossed I can hit one of these. Trails look fun and area looks pretty.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm considering switching my eMTB to tubeless. How does the sealant work in combination with these tire inserts? Does the sealant still reach any punctures with these things in the way? Are inserts actually useful?

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm considering switching my eMTB to tubeless. How does the sealant work in combination with these tire inserts? Does the sealant still reach any punctures with these things in the way? Are inserts actually useful?

It works just fine, and should be able to reach punctures. It can be a little more difficult for sealant to get to sidewall punctures or tears if you have an insert that presses against the side of the tire (CC, Tannus), but I haven’t had that problem in two years with Tannus inserts.

Are they actually useful? That depends on a lot of things including terrain, speed, and riding style. You get some of the vibration deadening aspect from heavier casing tires, and you can get some of the rim protection from casings and just raising your pressures. I like that inserts let me run slightly lower pressures for grip in loose, dry conditions while keeping the rims safe. The sidewall support is noticeable when you’re pushing hard into a corner; you’d otherwise have to raise your pressures a bit to keep the tire from folding.

They’re heavy. There’s no getting around that unless you want to run one of the lighter inserts just for rim protection. You said emtb though, so weight probably isn’t too much of an issue. If you’re riding beefy wheels with alloy rims, the rim protection might not be as much of a deal, likewise if you already have thicker casing tires (DD, DH casing, etc) on there. Other than the price and the weight, the main downside is how much of a pain in the rear end they are when it comes to mounting tires. You eventually get used to it and it gets easier, but it never gets easy.

Regardless of what you choose with inserts, definitely go tubeless.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Thanks. I guess I give it a try without inserts. The tires have DD casings, so that ought to work then.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have inserts in my gravel tires (vittoria airliner) and then a tubolight SL in the rear of my mtb. I like to run pretty low pressures in light tires so the extra rim and pinch flat protection seemed like a good idea. No issues with the install for my particular rim/tire/insert setup but some are more of a hassle.

Don't have much of a review for the mtb one but I'm really liking them in the gravel wheels. I've tried 32/37 psi f/r in the 40mm g-one Rs, which gives a really nice cushy ride but then if I bounce on it the stiffness really ramps up and you can kind of feel them hitting the ground. I also made it through some pretty rough, rocky things at high speed in a gravel race.

I suppose my only real concern is being way far away on a big ride and slicing a tire and needing to put in a tube and then I probably won't be able to carry out a big loop of foam covered in sealant so it lives in the forest after that.

In other news we took my shock apart today. Friday at the XC race I was riding sweep for the kids and heard a loud pop and fluid started spraying out of the adjuster knob. Shaft just broke right off

Thankfully I tracked down a loaner because who knows how long it's going take to get back from Fox. Assume they'll warranty it. At cost a new float or sidluxe etc isn't that much and I'd just buy a replacement to use but everything seems to be out of stock so I guess not. Almost bought a $80 xfusion from pinkbike but LBS owner's son is going out of town for awhile and has the same bike so I'll just use that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'm looking for tire recommendations for dry semi rocky terrain (Black Hills, South Dakota). Generally not much in the way of roots. I've been running large, fairly aggressive tires: 2.75 Surly Dirt Wizard front, 2.5 Maxxis DHF rear now; before that 2.5 DHF front and rear. I probably wouldn't buy the dirt wizard again, I don't feel like I gain anything worth the increased weight.

I'm out of shape and not pushing things as hard as I have in the past. I'd like to switch to something that rolls better but is still reasonably grippy and confidence inspiring. Maybe 2.35" or so. 26in tubeless

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Dissector F/Rekon Rear?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Unfortunately, those don't seem to be available in 26. Seems like most new designs aren't. Yet another reason to buy a new bike eventually.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

How do we feel about the Canyon Neuron CF 9 SL? Noticed they're in stock and I've been wanting something different than my Santa Cruz Chameleon. Something plusher but that still pedals well. The price seems pretty awesome for the spec.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dema posted:

How do we feel about the Canyon Neuron CF 9 SL? Noticed they're in stock and I've been wanting something different than my Santa Cruz Chameleon. Something plusher but that still pedals well. The price seems pretty awesome for the spec.

I don't know anything about that specific bike but I should share that I own a YT which is also direct to consumer, I've found the experience to be more or less okay but some poo poo like replacement bearings took about a year of harassing them on their social media channels to get replaced after being basically left on read in email conversations. I don't know how much better it would be via Santa Cruz but at least if you had a warranty issue you could take it to the shop and they handle the warranty process. You're a bit on your own with the direct to consumer brands.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I own a Santa Cruz, when it was time for bearings I provided my SN and proof of purchase and they mailed me new bearings, shields, and spacers for free. Took about a week from first email of 'hey how do I get new hearings' until they arrived.

That said, I wouldn't hesitate to get a DTC bike, especially if you have a decent local shop. My shop has helped me figure out bearing types and purchase them for my wheels, headset, and BB and I assume they could do the same for pivot hearings' if SC didn't have a lifetime free bearing replacement program.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

VelociBacon posted:

I own a YT which is also direct to consumer, I've found the experience to be more or less okay but some poo poo like replacement bearings took about a year of harassing them on their social media channels to get replaced after being basically left on read in email conversations.

Bummer about that. The YT Izzo is also appealing to me. Not that it's in stock.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

dema posted:

Bummer about that. The YT Izzo is also appealing to me. Not that it's in stock.

I should add that I'm Canadian and went through the Canadian distributor for all this stuff. It's wild because the guy actually literally delivered the bike to me for free at the airport because he was flying to a world cup anyways and had a transfer in my city. I'm overall happy with the bike (Tues). Never ever thought I'd have a new bike!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

How do I do that thing where I turn really fast on my new mountain bike instead of kind of awkwardly under steering all the time

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!

ethanol posted:

How do I do that thing where I turn really fast on my new mountain bike instead of kind of awkwardly under steering all the time

Body position, bike setup, and braking have a lot to do with it. Are these banked/bermed turns or are they flat?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It's tough to say without seeing what you're already doing. If you're sitting down for example there's a lot of big steps to make and other stuff to learn. If you're out of the saddle with your knees bent and eyes forward etc there's a little less to instruct but yeah remember that understeer can almost always be adjusted with putting more weight on the front axle, true for both cars and bikes but we don't get to use downforce to help.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I thought this book was really good and it could help you with cornering. I got it after I had been mountain biking for years and felt like I knew what I was doing and still learned a lot of stuff about body position and weight distribution; and navigating corners, bumps, etc.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

ethanol posted:

Short answer - do a coaching day

Longer (lots of videos) answer - I can definitely recommend watching Ben Cathro's series of videos on pinkbike. Here's the cornering one but the whole series is super useful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOqFywGllFw

Don't be put off if you don't get it right away, IMO cornering is the hardest part of mountain biking to master, and I haven't done it yet in 4 years. But you do gradually get better, coaching reeeeally helps.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

taqueso posted:

I thought this book was really good and it could help you with cornering. I got it after I had been mountain biking for years and felt like I knew what I was doing and still learned a lot of stuff about body position and weight distribution; and navigating corners, bumps, etc.

be sure to get the latest edition of this book because they revised and modernized it quite a lot.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Do those balance trainers work? The thing where you mount your rear wheel into it and try to hold a manual? Why couldn't I do the same thing holding my rear brake?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

um excuse me posted:

Do those balance trainers work? The thing where you mount your rear wheel into it and try to hold a manual? Why couldn't I do the same thing holding my rear brake?

they keep you from flipping over backwards or falling sideways etc while you try to learn where the balance point is (usually they also have a strap to hold the front wheel to keep you from going over backwards)

from what I've heard they're not good for teaching you how to get the wheel up properly (it's a different motion when you're riding than it would be while in the trainer) but seem like they'd be helpful for helping you learn where the balance point is if you're chicken (like me) about falling over backwards

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ethanol posted:

Cones/rocks in a parking lot/field. Set a turn and do it a bunch, progressively getting faster. Then tighten the turn and repeat. Did it with a coach last weekend and it had helped a lot with getting familiar with my newish bike. Don't forget to look through the turn and past the exit.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks to the advice. I am only trying to practice flat turns at the moment, berms are a bit harder to find a good practice spot nearby

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Carve the turn by leaning the bike not steering with the bars, and lean the bike over more than you lean - your hips shouldn't be in line with the center plane of the bike if that makes any sense. If the front feels like it's understeering weight the bars more, don't push your hips off the back of the bike because it'll just keep making things worse but is a natural reaction.

Practice practice practice, the cones advice is a good one. I like to find a shallow grassy hill for cornering practice, it makes sliding out low drama and the grass gives good audio feedback on how much grip you have left.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

SplitDestiny posted:

I picked up a new toy this weekend:

I spent a bunch of time trying to tune the suspension last night to get the proper sag and I am using very low pressures compared to even what Ibis recommends in their setup charts (Ibis suggests much lower than Fox settings). The rear shock isn't too far off at 190 instead of 215 for my weight (~165 pounds), but the front fork is set to about 40 psi over the suggested 65. I'm planning to take it out this evening and will probably just bring the shock pump on the trail if the fork dives too hard.

Is anyone else running super low pressures on their fork?

Steve French posted:

Another ripmo appears

It appears to be some sort of ripmo spawning point

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hi thread, I did my first bike park yesterday and I feel like I've been run over about 40 times. Can't wait to go back! Anybody in socal (lax area) that wants to take a fatgoon out with them?

Here's a picture riding the lift at Summit back down after forgetting my wrist brace at the top before our last run. D'oh.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 28, 2022

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Hi thread, I did my first bike park yesterday and I feel like I've been run over about 40 times. Can't wait to go back! Anybody in socal (lax area) that wants to take a fatgoon out with them?

Here's a picture riding the lift at Summit back down after forgetting my wrist brace at the top before our last run. D'oh.

Haha yeah its so much fun but after my first time I felt like I'd been hit by a train and could barely move for most of a week.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I only really notice it in my hands and forearms, I also take advil as soon as I get back from the park being 37 is great.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

Haha yeah its so much fun but after my first time I felt like I'd been hit by a train and could barely move for most of a week.

I'm pretty ok today, mainly feel it in my quads, a+ would get pains again though.

VelociBacon posted:

I only really notice it in my hands and forearms, I also take advil as soon as I get back from the park being 37 is great.

I took advil pre and post park, also 37 but also way out of shape!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I just turned 39 :negative:

First weekend recovery was rough but went the next and it was only a couple days of soreness. I'm there nearly every weekend now and am fine the next day unless I was really pushing things. Oddly the first day back after the winter break was pretty fine even though it had been 6 months.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

I just turned 39 :negative:

First weekend recovery was rough but went the next and it was only a couple days of soreness. I'm there nearly every weekend now and am fine the next day unless I was really pushing things. Oddly the first day back after the winter break was pretty fine even though it had been 6 months.

I wish I could go every weekend. It's not even that far, just about a 2hr drive from where I live, but with gas being $7 for premium almost everywhere in LA nowdays the trip alone costs about 55 bucks, not including the lift ticket. I'll probably get a season pass next year if gas calms down by then, I'm chomping at the bit to go again.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I wish I could go every weekend. It's not even that far, just about a 2hr drive from where I live, but with gas being $7 for premium almost everywhere in LA nowdays the trip alone costs about 55 bucks, not including the lift ticket. I'll probably get a season pass next year if gas calms down by then, I'm chomping at the bit to go again.

It's about 100 miles for me so 90 minutes, but we're also pulling back to every other or every 3 weeks just due to gas too :( . I was looking at hybrids and funnily enough buying something that got great mileage would pay itself off a lot quicker than I thought just from bike park trips. At least my season pass has already paid for itself having also been useful for the last 2 months of last year.

Its also getting too hot to swelter on the lift in the sun 15 minutes at a time all day so getting choosier on outings just for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Boogalo posted:

It's about 100 miles for me so 90 minutes, but we're also pulling back to every other or every 3 weeks just due to gas too :( . I was looking at hybrids and funnily enough buying something that got great mileage would pay itself off a lot quicker than I thought just from bike park trips. At least my season pass has already paid for itself having also been useful for the last 2 months of last year.

Its also getting too hot to swelter on the lift in the sun 15 minutes at a time all day so getting choosier on outings just for that.

I'm just waiting for the hybrid/electric tacoma. I love my WRX don't get me wrong but as soon as they announce that it's good bye premium gas prices. What's your park of choice?