Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Target Practice posted:

Ugh the verb thing is I something thst I was trying to look out for, thank you!

My school/work history is problematic. The very short version is I graduated HS in 2003, and it took 15 years to get my BS. I had a learning disability diagnosis at 25 after getting kicked out of school for grades. I eventually figured things out, got meds, and got reinstated, but going to school and work was impossible for most of it.

That internship was right at the start of my engineering class work after getting things straightened out, but due to my getting kicked out I wasn't allowed to matriculate for a few years, which is why 2 years worth of school took between 2014-2018. Like I said I had a short internship from Januaryish 2018 to around May at a small manufacturing company (5 employees) that I omitted to keep my resume at one page. I also worked in student housing for a year-ish in there prior to 2014.

Speaking of school, I am very self-conscious about how my poo poo looks on a resume. I know they can't outright ask, but I'm 37 and only 4 years out of school. Both my parents went back after having kids but my wife and I don't have that as a reason. I worked extremely hard to get where I am but laid out on paper it seems super embarrassing. I don't know how to turn what is really my greatest accomplishment into anything positive. To me it seems I just look like a huge liability.

This was posted while I was typing my stuff up. I love hiring people in their 30s/40s/50s who are just breaking into a new industry. It's way easier for me to teach someone how to be a decent Javascript engineer than it is for me to teach someone how to show up on time to meetings or be patient with the overworked service person or to not turtle up because some rear end in a top hat director was an rear end in a top hat. These people usually rocket up because of those skills.

I think the best advice is to put your best foot forward and look to present yourself in your best light, don't try to be something else. I don't think you should flaunt your age, but don't do anything artificial to hide it either. Just show why you're as good as you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shats Basoon
Jun 13, 2013

Had a third party recruiter reach out regarding a role with another company at the start of April. She got me in touch with a recruiter from the company who had me fill out a questionnaire and then a few weeks later he set up an interview. He ghosted me at the interview and I didn't hear back until the third party recruiter reached out to me a couple days later. I let her know what happened, she reached out to the company and then I had a video interview. That was in early/middle May. I had not heard another word until the third party recruiter followed up with me late last week. A few days later the rep from the hiring company reached out to set up a "live coding test" which has been scheduled for next week. Assuming that goes well I suspect there would be a final interview sometime in July, August?

When I spoke with recruiter intially the salary range she provided worked for me. In the interim I got a raise at my current job and it no longer does, at least the bottom half of it . I am gonna reach out and let them know my salary expectations have changed. The way I see it, they balk and I don't have to do the coding test or they are ok with it and I get paid a bunch of money to work for a potentially dysfunctional organization?

How do companies like this survive?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Shats Basoon posted:

Had a third party recruiter reach out regarding a role with another company at the start of April. She got me in touch with a recruiter from the company who had me fill out a questionnaire and then a few weeks later he set up an interview. He ghosted me at the interview and I didn't hear back until the third party recruiter reached out to me a couple days later. I let her know what happened, she reached out to the company and then I had a video interview. That was in early/middle May. I had not heard another word until the third party recruiter followed up with me late last week. A few days later the rep from the hiring company reached out to set up a "live coding test" which has been scheduled for next week. Assuming that goes well I suspect there would be a final interview sometime in July, August?

When I spoke with recruiter intially the salary range she provided worked for me. In the interim I got a raise at my current job and it no longer does, at least the bottom half of it . I am gonna reach out and let them know my salary expectations have changed. The way I see it, they balk and I don't have to do the coding test or they are ok with it and I get paid a bunch of money to work for a potentially dysfunctional organization?

They’re not really hiring for this req, there’s some weird agreement with the third party or they had someone fall through are the only explanations…

…in none of those do you end u working there but there could be others i didn’t think of

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shats Basoon posted:

Yeah asking for more money up front (and probably having them ghost you again) is definitely how I would play this.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'd add a sport coat to this. If it were me, I'd wear the tie, especially if the other people on the call are in office.

informal is basically normal business people shorthand for no tie / can wear mismatch but idk about lawyers who are all weird

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.
I have about 10 years of experience and have been a good employee in my career. Something I keep hidden is the fact that I have ADHD. It affects my mind to where I cannot just talk smoothly on the spot without warning beforehand and being able to organize my thoughts on paper. If you ask me questions out of the blue without a heads up, even if you held a gun to my mother's head, I'm going to ramble and stumble.

It's a brutal condition to have as each interview I have to take 15 hours to rehearse for basic questions. Then once the interview is over, I forget what to say and then I have to rehearse again for roughly 10-15 hours for the next interview. I've been to my doctor / psych and they tell me there is no solution and others with ADHD struggle with this too. The only way to beat it is to bear your cross and rehearse the 15 hours each time, and with enough repetition you'll get better.

But as anyone with ADHD knows, you learn to cope, but it doesn't get any more fun that you have to struggle throughout life.

So my question is, does anyone with ADHD that has it affect the speed and clarity of which they can speak, found out a way to beat it? Has anyone here figured out something to slay this massive issue for ADHD office workers? The ADHD people that I know all suffer from the same issue, and they all just brute force interviews and job interactions until one goes right and they get an offer.

Smif-N-Wessun fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jun 28, 2022

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Off my meds I tend to ramble a lot. I do prefer to communicate via email whenever possible as it allows me to lay out my thoughts in a better order and not ramble/jump around too much.

I know how much it sucks, the only thing I adjust is make sure my interview was at a time my meds are going to be working. I also have some 5mg "homework" pills I could take if needed my psychiatrist is good with my using from time to time.

Some things that helped last time I interviewed.

I knew the interview was using the STAR method, so I prepped in advance with a couple answers to the common "tell me a time" questions common in a STAR interview. I also had some key accomplishments, and things to discuss written down ahead of time. Being able to reference this instead of having to come up with stuff on the fly was a big help and helped reduce the rambling.

I wish I had better advice, but all I can offer is take your medication (if you're on meds) so you're hitting peak dose during the interview, and utilize your coping mechanisms

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

I have about 10 years of experience and have been a good employee in my career. Something I keep hidden is the fact that I have ADHD. It affects my mind to where I cannot just talk smoothly on the spot without warning beforehand and being able to organize my thoughts on paper. If you ask me questions out of the blue without a heads up, even if you held a gun to my mother's head, I'm going to ramble and stumble.

It's a brutal condition to have as each interview I have to take 15 hours to rehearse for basic questions. Then once the interview is over, I forget what to say and then I have to rehearse again for roughly 10-15 hours for the next interview. I've been to my doctor / psych and they tell me there is no solution and others with ADHD struggle with this too. The only way to beat it is to bear your cross and rehearse the 15 hours each time, and with enough repetition you'll get better.

But as anyone with ADHD knows, you learn to cope, but it doesn't get any more fun that you have to struggle throughout life.

So my question is, does anyone with ADHD that has it affect the speed and clarity of which they can speak, found out a way to beat it? Has anyone here figured out something to slay this massive issue for ADHD office workers? The ADHD people that I know all suffer from the same issue, and they all just brute force interviews and job interactions until one goes right and they get an offer.

I have ADHD (diagnosed in 2002) and am generally great at interviews. Yep theres a lot of rehearsing before and a lot after. I've been hired at the #1 company in two industries and gotten a startup into Y Combinator (a 10 minute interview far more grueling than the FAANG's all day one). My #1 tip? Find a job that triggers your hyperfocus and use that to ace the interview by preparing. For the FAANG I read...most...of the ASM Handbook: Aluminum and Its Alloys. They hired me for a different job, impressed by what I'd learned. For YC, I watched every bit of YC's startup school, listened to every episode of their podcast and painstakingly edited my application to align with they view of the world.

For many people, ADHD is a double edged sword. Learn to swing it so it doesnt hit you and you're sharper than the rest. Swing it wildly, end up with a cut.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I don't have a diagnosis but I have similar issues. I just state at the start of interviews that I am going to blank on terminology and nomenclature and may interrupt later when they pop into my head. The interviewer's reaction to that tells me a lot about what working with them will be like.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Smif-N-Wessun posted:

I have no advice, but I have the same issue.

Interviewed for a promotion in another group yesterday. One thing they mentioned was that they are looking for someone to help be a liaison as they help merge together two companies lists of people they don't want to do business with. Fully half of the questions were about that. It wasn't in the job description, so I didn't prep for those kinds of questions (and it never matters how I prep, I inevitably prep incorrectly).

My current department maintains that list. I've spent 6+ years working with that list as part of my job duties. It's not and never has been my primary job, but I know it well enough to perform, QA, and even train people on the basics. I know exactly how the companies are handling it right now. I can tell what the differences are between them, the strengths and weaknesses of each approach, what issues are going to pop up when they're merged together, and probably can make recommendations on what we can do to minimize those issues.

Despite knowing these things, I felt like it came out as gobbledygook. I think they thought the same. The thing is, it's something that I do understand and would be good at, and would probably enjoy. But I feel like I completely bombed in explaining it.

Let's see if I get to the next round. If I do, I will probably prep for these kinds of questions, and end up getting completely different ones.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

skipdogg posted:

Off my meds I tend to ramble a lot.

:emptyquote:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
I also have ADHD and yeah, it makes this poo poo so difficult.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Got to the next interview!

It's 30 minutes on Friday morning. I have no idea if it's to provide feedback, or a real 2nd interview. Hoping for the best.

Smif-N-Wessun
Jan 18, 2009

P.U.S.H.

blackmet posted:

I have no advice, but I have the same issue.

Interviewed for a promotion in another group yesterday. One thing they mentioned was that they are looking for someone to help be a liaison as they help merge together two companies lists of people they don't want to do business with. Fully half of the questions were about that. It wasn't in the job description, so I didn't prep for those kinds of questions (and it never matters how I prep, I inevitably prep incorrectly).

My current department maintains that list. I've spent 6+ years working with that list as part of my job duties. It's not and never has been my primary job, but I know it well enough to perform, QA, and even train people on the basics. I know exactly how the companies are handling it right now. I can tell what the differences are between them, the strengths and weaknesses of each approach, what issues are going to pop up when they're merged together, and probably can make recommendations on what we can do to minimize those issues.

Despite knowing these things, I felt like it came out as gobbledygook. I think they thought the same. The thing is, it's something that I do understand and would be good at, and would probably enjoy. But I feel like I completely bombed in explaining it.

Let's see if I get to the next round. If I do, I will probably prep for these kinds of questions, and end up getting completely different ones.

I've been there bro. It's terrible. Same poo poo happened to me.

Target Practice posted:

I also have ADHD and yeah, it makes this poo poo so difficult.

Yes indeed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I think I'll change my resume again. I just had a job interview. The hiring manager said he was pleasantly surprised with me because my resume didn't note my bevy of technical knowledge in the field. He said I should add a line detailing all of my specific technical knowledge because my resume is currently too focused on my milestones and not what I know.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I have a buddy who has spent the entirety of his professional career working for his family’s small/medium-sized business, and now that they’re failing he is looking for a way out. His latest job title there has been “co-CEO,” which he reluctantly took on with his brother so that their dad could take a break. What would the thread’s general thoughts be on using that title on his resume vs anything else? I’ve pushed his resume out to some contacts, and one person immediately saw a lot of good strengths in it, while another just balked and assumed that someone with “CEO” in their title would ONLY want a high paying leadership role (which is patently false to begin with… he only took his current role on out of duty and just wants to be a cog in a machine with stability).

Personally, I think it’s stronger to leave it and just contextualize the nature of his CEO role, but I also wouldn’t want him to immediately get thrown out of most screenings right off the bat if most places agree with that one guy’s opinion.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 1, 2022

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

I have a buddy who has spent the entirety of his professional career working for his family’s small/medium-sized business, and now that they’re failing he is looking for a way out. His latest job title there has been “co-CEO,” which he reluctantly took on with his brother so that their dad could take a break. What would the thread’s general thoughts be on using that title on his resume vs anything else? I’ve pushed his resume out to some contacts, and one person immediately saw a lot of good strengths in it, while another just balked and assumed that someone with “CEO” in their title would ONLY want a high paying leadership role (which is patently false to begin with… he only took his current role on out of duty and just wants to be a cog in a machine with stability).

Personally, I think it’s stronger to leave it and just contextualize the nature of his CEO role, but I also wouldn’t want him to immediately get thrown out of most screenings right off the bat if most places agree with that one guy’s opinion.

This isnt possible to answer without a lot more information IMO. Its a situation where there are 2 or more opposing decisions that could be right depending on what he wants to do, what his role has been, how their success has been, are they looking to sell the business, what are his degrees ...are just some of the questions that come to mind.

Both of your friends that gave those reactions have perspective that he is likely to encounter. How he should strategize depends on many things though. If hes truly spent 3 years at the helm of a 50+ person company and has 10+ years of industry knowledge, he can likely parlay that into a very good job.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

blackmet posted:

Got to the next interview!

It's 30 minutes on Friday morning. I have no idea if it's to provide feedback, or a real 2nd interview. Hoping for the best.

2nd interview was just with the director. I think it went well. We got along, he asked questions I had answers to.

Now, we wait.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

This isnt possible to answer without a lot more information IMO. Its a situation where there are 2 or more opposing decisions that could be right depending on what he wants to do, what his role has been, how their success has been, are they looking to sell the business, what are his degrees ...are just some of the questions that come to mind.

Both of your friends that gave those reactions have perspective that he is likely to encounter. How he should strategize depends on many things though. If hes truly spent 3 years at the helm of a 50+ person company and has 10+ years of industry knowledge, he can likely parlay that into a very good job.

So he has been in this role since October, and they only have ~25 employees. He’s been in their industry for about ten years (longer if you include the time around it as teenagers), but it’s a pretty niche industry and he is not exactly trying to land another job within that same type of business. To be honest, I don’t think he really has the skills to put himself into a really cushy job elsewhere, and he tends to agree. He really just wants to find a stable job doing work for someone else (he has hated being CEO A LOT). Overall, the way I understand it, he has truly been the “I’m calling the shots” CEO with a whole host of responsibility, but he inherited all of that after Covid totally hosed the business (historically they had done quite well and grew a lot). I don’t know if they plan to sell, but they are not profitable (and can’t currently get profitable) and that’s why he just wants out so that his dad can deal with all of those issues rather than have them forced upon himself.

He’s been working for the last six months to develop dev skills and try to jump into software or tech, which is why I tend to lean more toward “leave CEO title on resume,” since tech startups seem to like people who entrepreneurial or understand the business side a bit.

I understand it would probably help more if I just posted his resume too, and I plan to do so once I get a moment to sit down and anonymize it, but figured I could at least answer these questions in the interim.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'd list it as "Co-director/co-CEO" and explain clearly things like company size and revenue. Probably tweaking it for different jobs is a good idea.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

So he has been in this role since October, and they only have ~25 employees. He’s been in their industry for about ten years (longer if you include the time around it as teenagers), but it’s a pretty niche industry and he is not exactly trying to land another job within that same type of business. To be honest, I don’t think he really has the skills to put himself into a really cushy job elsewhere, and he tends to agree. He really just wants to find a stable job doing work for someone else (he has hated being CEO A LOT). Overall, the way I understand it, he has truly been the “I’m calling the shots” CEO with a whole host of responsibility, but he inherited all of that after Covid totally hosed the business (historically they had done quite well and grew a lot). I don’t know if they plan to sell, but they are not profitable (and can’t currently get profitable) and that’s why he just wants out so that his dad can deal with all of those issues rather than have them forced upon himself.

He’s been working for the last six months to develop dev skills and try to jump into software or tech, which is why I tend to lean more toward “leave CEO title on resume,” since tech startups seem to like people who entrepreneurial or understand the business side a bit.

I understand it would probably help more if I just posted his resume too, and I plan to do so once I get a moment to sit down and anonymize it, but figured I could at least answer these questions in the interim.

Unambiguously small business (25 employees) and "since October" does limit the options of parlaying to a big-company-director role somewhere.

If you want real advice, you need to include real details. The industry, his real role and responsibilities before October (hiring/firing authority, administrative/office or operations) probably matter a whole lot. No one is out to ruin this guy who doesnt even post here but also goons can be weird so balance how you choose. Happy to weigh in on a strategy for them but this is a nuanced one.

The "marketing guy" turned 9 month CEO with a B.A. degree for a failing business run by his dad would straight up never get hired in any role I was hiring for ever. He failed to execute in his previous role and now with real authority is abdicating the throne.
The machine shop manager who had hiring and firing authority for 5 years overseeing production of an expanded line of widgets (driven by the dad) that didnt work to because of COVID and clearly wasn't his decision because he made sure the widgets got made despite supply chain issues would be an extremely strong hire for manufacturing related management roles.

Dude could easily be the worst or best possible hire depending on the details.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah I've started and deleted 3 posts trying to figure out how to say that: there aren't enough details to give decent advice.

If he's competent at basic mgmt but doesn't love ambiguity and has no desire to move up, then he is actually an ideal candidate for director in some orgs I've seen (for better or worse). Also sometimes people like that are low-key excellent manager because they're not high on their own farts. Like the above, details make the difference.

Also, it's been a hard few years and it sounds like especially for this dude. Are you sure he isn't burned out or depressed and the desire for really simple work is due to that?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think he needs to set aside his qualifications related to his dad's business--which are not going to be respected in the corporate world--decide what career path he wants to pursue, and then go get qualifications for that path that will be more widely accepted. By which I mean an MBA if he wants to be an executive, or certs and/or a healthy github if he wants to code.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
All great feedback thus far! I'll try and answer/address everything you guys are asking for and I've also included his anonymized resume to give a clearer snapshot of what is going on.

CarForumPoster posted:

Unambiguously small business (25 employees) and "since October" does limit the options of parlaying to a big-company-director role somewhere.

If you want real advice, you need to include real details. The industry, his real role and responsibilities before October (hiring/firing authority, administrative/office or operations) probably matter a whole lot. No one is out to ruin this guy who doesnt even post here but also goons can be weird so balance how you choose. Happy to weigh in on a strategy for them but this is a nuanced one.

The "marketing guy" turned 9 month CEO with a B.A. degree for a failing business run by his dad would straight up never get hired in any role I was hiring for ever. He failed to execute in his previous role and now with real authority is abdicating the throne.
The machine shop manager who had hiring and firing authority for 5 years overseeing production of an expanded line of widgets (driven by the dad) that didnt work to because of COVID and clearly wasn't his decision because he made sure the widgets got made despite supply chain issues would be an extremely strong hire for manufacturing related management roles.

Dude could easily be the worst or best possible hire depending on the details.

So that is my bad, I assumed small/medium/large business had more to do with revenue than number of employees, and I honestly just don't know enough about their business one way or another to say for sure. Sounds like it is definitely small business though, so we'll just stick to that.

Their company is basically just an online retail store for a niche market... imagine something like Guitar Center, except just much smaller. From his resume, you can see that he has kind of just done whatever they needed at the time... he is definitely MUCH closer to "marketing guy turned CEO" than "machine shop manager turned CEO." Until taking on the mantle, he never had to worry about hiring/firing people, actively managing the employees, or really any of that stuff, and that is a big part of why he wants out. For example, he had to call employees the other day to ask if they would be okay not getting paid this week... that is not a responsibility he ever signed up for or wanted. That is also why I say he isn't exactly cut out for (or even trying to attain) high level, director/management type roles in his transition. Until their dad had to take a step back, dude was pretty happy just coming in, doing his thing, and collecting his paycheck.

Xguard86 posted:

Yeah I've started and deleted 3 posts trying to figure out how to say that: there aren't enough details to give decent advice.

If he's competent at basic mgmt but doesn't love ambiguity and has no desire to move up, then he is actually an ideal candidate for director in some orgs I've seen (for better or worse). Also sometimes people like that are low-key excellent manager because they're not high on their own farts. Like the above, details make the difference.

Also, it's been a hard few years and it sounds like especially for this dude. Are you sure he isn't burned out or depressed and the desire for really simple work is due to that?

I personally don't think he is cut out for management (and pretty sure he would agree), at least not yet, if that is something he would want. He has literally zero corporate experience outside of his family business... I am pretty sure that would be a nightmare hire.

He is absolutely burned out and depressed from his current role, and he freely talks about it constantly. He keeps telling me that his biggest driver is a job that will give him something stable, because the current day-to-day has no certainty in anything and it makes him anxious as hell. But regardless, I can pretty confidently say he is more of a "do my thing and collect my paycheck" type of worker anyways.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I think he needs to set aside his qualifications related to his dad's business--which are not going to be respected in the corporate world--decide what career path he wants to pursue, and then go get qualifications for that path that will be more widely accepted. By which I mean an MBA if he wants to be an executive, or certs and/or a healthy github if he wants to code.

He has been working on the coding part already, and he has built a github and been doing computer science learning. He also did some of the development for their business a few years ago, so he has some professional experience in it as well. He has only applied to one or two jobs, but they both definitely fall under "entry-level/IC programmer" rather than "manager of people" because that is where his interests have taken him.

I tend to agree that his qualifications are largely irrelevant considering the realm of his work experience, but figured it wouldn't hurt to have "co-CEO" as a job title on a resume... but I am definitely beginning to shift that opinion, considering most of the responses thus far have been about using the title to parlay into management elsewhere. I almost think the thread response proves that the first guy I showed the resume to (the one who said "he just wants a leadership position!") is going to be representative of most people reading the resume.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Gin_Rummy posted:

All great feedback thus far! I'll try and answer/address everything you guys are asking for and I've also included his anonymized resume to give a clearer snapshot of what is going on.

So that is my bad, I assumed small/medium/large business had more to do with revenue than number of employees, and I honestly just don't know enough about their business one way or another to say for sure. Sounds like it is definitely small business though, so we'll just stick to that.

Their company is basically just an online retail store for a niche market... imagine something like Guitar Center, except just much smaller. From his resume, you can see that he has kind of just done whatever they needed at the time... he is definitely MUCH closer to "marketing guy turned CEO" than "machine shop manager turned CEO." Until taking on the mantle, he never had to worry about hiring/firing people, actively managing the employees, or really any of that stuff, and that is a big part of why he wants out. For example, he had to call employees the other day to ask if they would be okay not getting paid this week... that is not a responsibility he ever signed up for or wanted. That is also why I say he isn't exactly cut out for (or even trying to attain) high level, director/management type roles in his transition. Until their dad had to take a step back, dude was pretty happy just coming in, doing his thing, and collecting his paycheck.

I personally don't think he is cut out for management (and pretty sure he would agree), at least not yet, if that is something he would want. He has literally zero corporate experience outside of his family business... I am pretty sure that would be a nightmare hire.

He is absolutely burned out and depressed from his current role, and he freely talks about it constantly. He keeps telling me that his biggest driver is a job that will give him something stable, because the current day-to-day has no certainty in anything and it makes him anxious as hell. But regardless, I can pretty confidently say he is more of a "do my thing and collect my paycheck" type of worker anyways.

He has been working on the coding part already, and he has built a github and been doing computer science learning. He also did some of the development for their business a few years ago, so he has some professional experience in it as well. He has only applied to one or two jobs, but they both definitely fall under "entry-level/IC programmer" rather than "manager of people" because that is where his interests have taken him.

I tend to agree that his qualifications are largely irrelevant considering the realm of his work experience, but figured it wouldn't hurt to have "co-CEO" as a job title on a resume... but I am definitely beginning to shift that opinion, considering most of the responses thus far have been about using the title to parlay into management elsewhere. I almost think the thread response proves that the first guy I showed the resume to (the one who said "he just wants a leadership position!") is going to be representative of most people reading the resume.

I like spinning a bad resume/career into success, but boy... In this post I am going to lean heavily on negative stereotypes. This is what many, but not all, hiring people will use. A resume optimized to tell a story to deal with the negatives will usually woo the positives in any event. Imma be brutal tho.

This resume is almost worst case scenario. He can spin it, but has done a terrible job of it. Accountant/payroll/HR/IT/administrative at dads small local business is a low stakes nepotism position that you can be low quality at and it usually not matter. That dad would give him that position rather than an operations position reflects negatively on him.

Questions that should be somewhat answered by his resume:
- What did the business actually do? What industry? Whydid COVID affect it? Why couldn't his experience let him pull the business back?
- Crystal clear: what job is he trying to get? If he's not sure, this resume can be improved, but not well tailored. This is 100% have 2 or 3 jobs you're going for and two or 3 resumes to support those jobs.
- Does he have a B.S. Biz Admin or a B.S. in accounting? Stereotypically the order of intelligence for B.S. business degrees is dumb kids get B.A. and smart kids get accounting or finance, further adding to the "low achiever" story of this resume. 5 years in accounting than a switch to IT, did he not do both simultaneously?

My first actual advice so far: This resume is filled with low IQ buzzword "action" verbs. They convey nothing interesting. It says what he did, does not speak to accomplishments or results. It positively reeks of unsuccessful applicant. Rethink the messaging and story. Figure out what he wants to do. If there are 3 possibilities, make three resumes that make it clear how he understands what a business needs to be successful in those roles and how he demonstrated at daddys business that he achieved that success. If daddy and COVID killed the business, fine, but it should be demonstrated clearly that this man understands what success looks like and has a history of demonstrating it

"Utilizing Netsuite and HTML" as the first IT bullet makes him sound like an idiot.

100% this is a "can safely trash" resume for any position making > $20/hr.

EDIT: Tempered this down a little. IMO it is safe to say that in the current state, having CEO on there hurts any IC job he might want. Not because he might only want "high importance roles" but because being a CEO with a resume that doesnt talk to objectives or successes at all makes you seem like a feckless leader. (Which he prob is from your description of him. He should be a cog, not a decision maker.)

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 3, 2022

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

CarForumPoster posted:

I like spinning a bad resume/career into success, but boy... In this post I am going to lean heavily on negative stereotypes. This is what many, but not all, hiring people will use. A resume optimized to tell a story to deal with the negatives will usually woo the positives in any event. Imma be brutal tho.

I mean, better you than someone looking at it in an application. I appreciate you tearing him apart.

quote:

This resume is almost worst case scenario. He can spin it, but has done a terrible job of it. Accountant/payroll/HR/IT/administrative at dads small local business is a low stakes nepotism position that you can be low quality at and it usually not matter. That dad would give him that position rather than an operations position reflects negatively on him.

He and his brother have 100% enjoyed their entire careers in nepotism positions, and it has totally screwed them and left them completely ill-prepared for the failure of this business.

That being said though, I don't actually think this business has any real org structure or "operations" positions (though I honestly am unsure). It's a handful of people packaging poo poo in their warehouse, and then a handful talking to customers/doing computer touching. On top of that, I think he finished his degree and just thought "well I went to school for accounting, so shouldn't that be what I do for my job?" and took that role on. If he wanted to do anything else, all he probably had to do was ask, which is likely what led to his move into the web portion of things. I think he started getting interested in doing coding stuff and asked if he could do that instead of the accounting and their dad just said "sure, go for it."

quote:

Questions I am left with despite previous posts:
- What did the business actually do? What industry? Why specifically did COVID affect it? Why couldn't his experience let him pull the business back? Can he save it back to lifestyle business by laying off and THEN go get a new job, once it is stable?
- Crystal clear: what job is he trying to get? If he's not sure, this resume can be improved, but not well tailored. This is 100% have 2 or 3 jobs you're going for and two or 3 resumes to support those jobs.
- Does he have a B.S. Biz Admin or a B.S. in accounting? Stereotypically the order of intelligence for B.S. business degrees is dumb kids get B.A. and smart kids get accounting or finance, further adding to the "low achiever" story of this resume. 5 years in accounting than a switch to IT, did he not do both simultaneously?

They're a retail shop for musical instruments, and from what I understand, COVID supply chain issues just ruined everything they had going. The business was actually doing pretty well before COVID and they had quite a bit of growth (even opened another store front), but now... can't get supply from vendors, and then can't get product to customers, then they can't pay vendors, rinse, repeat. I would assume his experience can't save it because it is largely driven by vendor supply. He has cut some staff and (like I mentioned in a previous post) even suspended some paychecks to try and fix cash flow issues but you can't really fix the supply chain. On top of all that, when their dad "took a step back" it seems like he mostly didn't. They constantly talk about how there are too many chiefs trying to run the show with their dad around, and one of the brothers outright quit because their dad wouldn't keep his hands out of the day-to-day. So it seems like a lot of decision making is still out of his hands... overall, it seems to me like the business has no real chance of coming back for just a huge poo poo storm of reasons.

If he had his choice, he would get a job doing some software development. That's the skill set he has been working on in his free time and he has some (sort of) work experience in it. The downside there is he doesn't have a tech degree to help prop him up, so he really just has to work on his github and/or go do a boot camp. I think it would be extremely hard for him to jump straight into development, but I have found some jobs that seem like they would suit him pretty well (such as implementation specialist for SaaS companies).

I'm pretty sure his degree is a BBA, not a BS. Unfortunately, stereotypes exist for a reason... he kind of drifted for a few years post HS not doing much until he just buckled down and got this degree. He certainly met the low-achiever title back then, but not so much these days. He just has the dead weight of all that history hanging over him now. To that last point, I don't think he worked accounting and web/IT simultaneously, I think it was a conscious "I'd rather be doing code" moment and a hard shift.

quote:

My first actual advice so far: This resume is filled with low IQ buzzword "action" verbs. They convey nothing interesting. It says what he did, does not speak to accomplishments or results. It positively reeks of unsuccessful applicant. Rethink the messaging and story. Figure out what he wants to do. If there are 3 possibilities, make three resumes that make it clear how he understands what a business needs to be successful in those roles and how he demonstrated at daddys business that he achieved that success. If daddy and COVID killed the business, fine, but it should be demonstrated clearly that this man understands what success looks like and has a history of demonstrating it

"Utilizing Netsuite and HTML" as the first IT bullet makes him sound like an idiot.

100% this is a "can safely trash" resume for any position making > $20/hr.

This is actually a huge step up from the first iteration of the resume too... my initial feedback for him was to drop in bullets with measurable success and statistics (as you suggest), of which one or two made it in. The unfortunate truth is that I just don't think he has many measures or figures he can slap down on this thing. Dude's just got one hell of a hill to climb.

EDIT:

quote:

EDIT: Tempered this down a little. IMO it is safe to say that in the current state, having CEO on there hurts any IC job he might want. Not because he might only want "high importance roles" but because being a CEO with a resume that doesnt talk to objectives or successes at all makes you seem like a feckless leader. (Which he prob is from your description of him. He should be a cog, not a decision maker.)

And this is really the crux of it all... he just wants to be a cog, and his resume and history reflects that. "Give me a job to do, and I will do it."

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 3, 2022

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You should be laying people off before suspending paychecks :wtc:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Changing jobs is a shot to reinvent his career and it's gonna start with reinventing this resume. Ive had a few friends or friends of friends where I'll try to get them back on their feet with a lot of resume help and searching advice. Maybe 40% success rate. Most just wallow. In their mind theyre no good and that their first shot at a resume wasnt good confirms what theyve always known, trying at something leads to failure which is unacceptable: never try again.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

:emptyquote:

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If it was me I'd just lay off anyone not related by blood and go full on skeleton crew. I can't exactly imagine all these other employees are too busy anyways if they don't even have anything to ship out from their warehouse...

But it's not exactly my place to tell them how to run their business lol.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It just occurred to me that by not paying people and becoming the co-CEO this dude may have opened himself, his dad, and likely his co CEO up to personal liability under the FLSA (in addition to the businesses' obvious liability). Not a lawyer, not legal advice but monstrously stupid move from someone whose job was compliance related (accounting).

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Gin_Rummy posted:

If it was me I'd just lay off anyone not related by blood and go full on skeleton crew. I can't exactly imagine all these other employees are too busy anyways if they don't even have anything to ship out from their warehouse...

But it's not exactly my place to tell them how to run their business lol.

I’m sorry, the fact that your friend is doing this, as CEO, means he’s an idiot.

Resign, go to coding boot camp, move to Guam and change your name, etc.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I’m sorry, the fact that your friend is doing this, as CEO, means he’s an idiot.

Resign, go to coding boot camp, move to Guam and change your name, etc.

Hello!
My name is Gus Guava, Guamanian code extraordinaire.
Pay no attention, to my grey hair.
My father is dead, from COVID no doubt.
I git push some python
and servers go down

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I tend toward not saying anything when I don't have anything positive to say, but for what it's worth I agree 100% with CFP here. The harsh reality, that doubtless is exactly what he's trying to avoid, is that his experience running his dad's boutique business that went backrupt is worth bupkis in corporateland, and his B.A. is useless in corporate computer toucher town. Whatever career he now wants to go into, he's going to have to start from scratch, with the requirements (education, certs, github, whatever it takes for his chosen field) to get in at entry level.

I would not list the co-CEO stuff on a resume. The only useful purpose of listing his time at Dad's Bankrupt Company LLC (RIP) is just to show that he was at least gainfully employed and not sitting around playing video games the last five years. But for all relevant purposes he's a fresh B.A. grad with no work experience and has to go from there.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 3, 2022

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Could always downgrade title to "lead x" for the stuff he was doing pre CEO and don't mention the family connection.

If he wants to do tech then it's not directly applicable but at least shows he knows the basics of the white collar world and can do the basic show up clean and dressed thing.

There's semi technical positions like in HRIS that might be a way to transition. Or do some certs on something like Salesforce trailhead. Jobs like that are pretty transactional but can be comfortable.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Yea FWIW I can finally feel confident answering the initial question. He should 100% NOT CALL HIMSELF THE CEO. Co-CEO is even worse.

I'd pick something like "operations manager". (Just a guess, do some research) I'd keep it concurrent with the IT job and I'd make clear my new responsibilities. Included in those would be specially hiring and firing, making tough choices due to COVID. I'd try to have the resume imply that I was tapped to save the business by making said hard choices and I'd have a succinct but sad story indicating what the right choices I suggested were but how those choices were hamstrung for whatever reason that didn't imply family drama or resentment toward my family or coworkers. This will only work if the dude has some epiphanies in hindsight.

This was a good one. Its funny how I started out so hopeful for the guy only to realizes he'd really hosed himself. Blaming it on COVID is kinda lol

No guitar parts guys, COVID. Can't have a business retailing guitars anymore. There are no domestic manufacturers of guitar stuff. Plus, people arent investing in solo hobbies. Better let the family business go under.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 4, 2022

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Gin_Rummy posted:

Refer your friend to Danny’s I help u rite gud thread

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The company I work for is quickly circling the drain. Not only was it near bankruptcy after our peak season but our private equity owners are very obviously positioning for a sale. During my interviews and the "why are you looking?" question I tend to go with the growth of the company was too much and ultimately we weren't able to meet our agreed upon SLAs, customers dropped, and now we are showing financial distress so I'm looking out for my family and future. It feels okay but surely there is a better way to say "company sucks and the rats are leaving the ship"

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

George H.W. oval office posted:

The company I work for is quickly circling the drain. Not only was it near bankruptcy after our peak season but our private equity owners are very obviously positioning for a sale. During my interviews and the "why are you looking?" question I tend to go with the growth of the company was too much and ultimately we weren't able to meet our agreed upon SLAs, customers dropped, and now we are showing financial distress so I'm looking out for my family and future. It feels okay but surely there is a better way to say "company sucks and the rats are leaving the ship"

Way too much information. A bullshit question deserves a bullshit answer. Give them a generic, "looking for new challenges" line of bullshit in return.

I would never give specifics about what's going on inside the company.

I left my last company due to PE bringing in a new hatchet man CEO, and my new boss being a huge rear end in a top hat, but I never said that. I was "looking for new challenges"

Always avoid any sort of negativity in an interview. Give them the bs answer and then redirect the interview by asking them a question

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I suspected as much. I think what’s biting me in the rear end other than the too much info is that I think the people and work is great. I come off as very enthusiastic so it’s kinda jarring to have all this praise and suddenly be like “and I want to leave it for somewhere else”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you can think that people and a place are all great and still want to leave for a new and exciting challenge

these are in fact not things that inherently conflict