Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Lol I always forget that he was just in Twin Peaks as basically the same character.

xfiles too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

twin peaks laid the groundwork for some of the best of 90s television much like Jodorowsky's dune did for the best of 70s sci fi

it had that golden spark of true genius

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

thank u.

from 2017 though so gen z was like, a max of 18 then? lol

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I like how they're saying they're avoiding driving, and not that they can't afford it. Cash for clunkers did away with the old beater, and with supply chain constriction the used car market is inverted and there is like 4 models of car in the US below 20,000. Federal minimum wage hasn't budged.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

skooma512 posted:

I like how they're saying they're avoiding driving, and not that they can't afford it. Cash for clunkers did away with the old beater, and with supply chain constriction the used car market is inverted and there is like 4 models of car in the US below 20,000. Federal minimum wage hasn't budged.

There is only one reason not to own at least one car: communism.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FFT posted:

it does have a dash of reality about it:

Early on they have an episode where a Republican-coded (by modern standards, at least) senator is trying to cut their funding. Which is probably the single most unrealistic thing in the science-fiction show about U.S. Air Force people going through portal rings to other planets to learn about other cultures and fight aliens.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

inferis posted:

there’s an article going around that summarizes a study that found kids aren’t loving or driving or anything anymore. i looked up the original study and it seems pretty obvious from this chart what happened

more penis graphs please

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

skooma512 posted:

kids don't want to drive anymore

kids don't want to drink anymore

kids don't want to work anymore

kids don't want to buy houses anymore

:iiam:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Early on they have an episode where a Republican-coded (by modern standards, at least) senator is trying to cut their funding. Which is probably the single most unrealistic thing in the science-fiction show about U.S. Air Force people going through portal rings to other planets to learn about other cultures and fight aliens.

The companies he owns didn't have deals to rape the other planets, so his army shouldn't be used to go there.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
drat imagine how great it would be if someone invented a star gate. We could go back to like 1950s level of imperialism and externalizing costs to other cultures.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
We're probably too hosed up now to get our groove back actually but good luck to china or somebody.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I like how in over the course of the two Stargate shows we go from modern day tech to intergalactic power with multiple FTL warships and the people of Earth still have no idea lol.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

skooma512 posted:

and the people of Earth still have no idea lol.

Even after a giant gou'uld mothership is destroyed in orbit and seasons later an entire USN aircraft carrier and its battlegroup is destroyed.

30.5 Days posted:

drat imagine how great it would be if someone invented a star gate. We could go back to like 1950s level of imperialism and externalizing costs to other cultures.

As soon as we beat the aliens using... honestly I'm not sure what level of imperialism the goa'uld were using. Its a lot.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Shame Boy posted:

I used to work with someone who liked fuckin' voyager so much they named their first child after seven of nine's human name.

They had never seen DS9.

I was just thinking the other day that Annika is a very pretty name, followed immediately by how much Voyager sucked.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

You could ACTUALLY just go back to the 1950s if you found a gate path leading through a solar flare at just the right time! They do this. Several times in fact, and one of the movies was based around scaling up the theory to make a usable time machine!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lordshmee posted:

I was just thinking the other day that Annika is a very pretty name, followed immediately by how much Voyager sucked.

Mildly interesting there are "less than five" men named Annika, all born around the same time. I'm going to just assume it's one person.

code:
Etunimitilasto	27.6.2022	
Annika

Annika	Syntymävuodet	Miehiä	Naisia	Yhteensä
 	-1899	0	0	0
 	1900-19	alle 5	alle 5	alle 10
 	1920-39	0	15	15
 	1940-59	0	698	698
 	1960-79	0	6623	6623
 	1980-99	0	13074	13074
 	2000-09	0	3093	3093
 	2010-19	0	1275	1275
 	2020-22	0	145	145
 	Yhteensä	alle 5	alle 24928	alle 24933

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

more penis graphs please

kids these days!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Warmachine posted:

To be fair if republicans found out they were learning about other cultures they would probably try to cut their funding

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

yeah, pretty sure his whole deal was "you're not doing anything that makes a profit" which is why he got in with the (human) antagonist group that was trying to exploit stargate access

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Shame Boy posted:

To be fair if republicans found out they were learning about other cultures they would probably try to cut their funding

have you considered theres oil on those other planets and sentient beings to genocide

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

why don't you try GETTIN' hosed, LADY

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what’s sex selection?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

what’s sex selection?

there’s crazy ideas out there about how certain positions increase the chances of a boy or girl

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

instead of playing beethoven at your womb to make the baby smart you play sounds of chainsaws and trucks to make it a boy

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Weatherman posted:

actually can they change Dancing with the Stars to Drowning with the Stars instead? i`d watch that and it would be a lot more socially useful

They tried that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lmao that is a lot of fuckin' injuries

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

What the hell does any of this mean

quote:

The second series received poohed protest pickets after its premiere, with signs reading "extreme mean spirited",[9] "tv's most unfair defense"[10] and "probably the worst disaster in history".[11] The critical jamping led to a protest strike.[12]

What is a poohed protest picket? Am I critically jamping right now?? :ohdear:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

Lmao that is a lot of fuckin' injuries

how did kareem abdul-jabbar not greviously hurt himself by doing this while being like 70something years old

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

hobbesmaster posted:

there’s crazy ideas out there about how certain positions increase the chances of a boy or girl

Transitioning because my mom liked to be on top

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shear Modulus posted:

how did kareem abdul-jabbar not greviously hurt himself by doing this while being like 70something years old

This was in 2013, so he was only in his mid-60s. Old, but the dude was a professional athlete.

My question is how the gently caress did Louie Anderson, who was in his late 50s at the time and not exactly known for being a paragon of health not loving die?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHuz3JF5mE&t=45s

lol wtf

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
ABC is absolutely obsessed with game shows with giant pools.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's like watching an egg fall off a table

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Continue to maintain that consumerism is the state religion of America:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2022/06/partner-accusing-family-defrauding-supermarket-dear-prudence-advice.html

quote:

Q. Upset in Aisle 7: Recently my brother-in-law told a “joke” about how the local supermarket chain must think his dead grandmother has an incredible appetite for a 107-year-old because he still uses her discount card (technically he keys in her old phone number) when he goes shopping.

This may seem like a low-key issue, but it really bothers my partner. After high school, she was on her own and worked for this supermarket for years while putting herself through college. This job played a significant role in her growth into the person she is today. She considers many of her former coworkers like de facto family members. So, to this day, she remains fiercely loyal to this chain.

She says it’s considered fraud to use someone else’s discount card because it creates bad data for the supermarket’s marketing purposes, especially if someone else has been assigned that phone number and applied for a card. When she explained this to my brother-in-law, he dismissed her concern as unimportant. My sister also didn’t see why this was a big deal. I think the big deal is it bothers my partner. How hard is it to get your own discount card? It’s a small thing he could do out of concern for a family member. Am I wrong for being so miffed about this?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Meanwhile whenever I go to the grocery store and say I don't have the thing they have one taped to the cash register they scan instead so I still get the discount because who the gently caress cares.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

how dare you sully the stores discount data

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Brand.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ham Equity posted:

This was in 2013, so he was only in his mid-60s. Old, but the dude was a professional athlete.

My question is how the gently caress did Louie Anderson, who was in his late 50s at the time and not exactly known for being a paragon of health not loving die?

I'm not sure having been a pro athlete in your youth is much of a boon in later life. Athletes get tons of injuries and put at least as much stress on their joints as a fat guy. Athletes get ground up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

You may not like it, but this is what peak male performance looks like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Shame Boy posted:

Meanwhile whenever I go to the grocery store and say I don't have the thing they have one taped to the cash register they scan instead so I still get the discount because who the gently caress cares.

:same: but I'd still be happy to pay more not to be in that system