Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

mdemone posted:

I was rushing through the last few minutes before heading out -- do we have any idea who the witness was that was being tampered with? Could it have been Hutchinson herself and they didn't identify it as such to protect her and maybe the investigation somehow?

Its almost certainly more than one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

I laughed way louder than I should have.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Absolutely. The indictment must be for the capitol riots/sedition or the Georgia thing.

Done!

Any other takers?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Watch this tweet with sound.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
So about that witness tampering

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Dr. Faustus posted:

This is a very good question that I have written a response to several times. Since it's such a good question I will type it again:

There is one huge reason to let the J6 Committee "go first" at the witnesses instead of the DOJ. Time is of the essence because if this whole plot isn't exposed by this September, it probably never would be. We needed these hearings for the same reason we needed the Watergate hearings. To inform and persuade the public to care. I suspect it is actually working and will, going forward from today, gather steam.

But: Imagine if DOJ had gone guns after Trump and everybody else before the J6 committee. What would that look like? First of all, Garland would empanel a Grand Jury and call witnesses to testify. Grand Jury testimony is secret! By the time they could get to the bottom of this, it would be time for the 2022 mid-terms and we would only know what can be figured out from public-facing court documents and leaks. A leaky GJ isn't going to inspire confidence in the DOJ first, but second, a perfectly water-tight GJ would mean none of us know all of this. Trump's base would be saying all of this FUD and chaff without the public knowing anything. Then the GOP wins the midterms and there never is a J6 committee. Ever.
By allowing the Select Committee to "go first" they are doing much of the same work of a Grand Jury! But in this case the Committee gets to choose what to share with the public and when. As you can see, they're doing a loving awesome job of that.
There is an added benefit: NOW as all of these people get hoovered into the DOJ investigations they will be giving secret testimony. The Committee is providing its witness testimony to the DOJ as well. This way, DOJ has two records of testimony to compare. This will make it far easier to catch witnesses who attempt to lie, as well as compelling smart witnesses (I suppose there are some) to not even try.

I hope this makes sense!

This makes sense but do you have evidence of this being intentional or is it just what you would do?

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Worth noting that the airtight grand jury route is what allowed the Mueller report to be easily smothered, particularly since Barr got first go and put out a contradictory summary that became public perception despite the actual contents.

Doing it this way, with at least a little mind towards optics, means once it’s out there it’s out there, and the committee gets to set the first impression.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1541910389289635841

ooh boy lets see if their anonymous source comes for testimony under oath (they wont)

SOURCE: John Barron

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

Shall we bet $25 to the Red Cross on his indictment before the end of the summer?

How about 25 to a charity supporting Ukraine, since Trump hosed them over pretty hard.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

This makes sense but do you have evidence of this being intentional or is it just what you would do?
I don't have any evidence it was meant to be this way, but I also have no evidence it was not.

The fact is this is the way it worked out and it's important to balance that with how the alternative would have gone. I honestly had this question myself because obviously what we want is Trump in cuffs, perp-walked, a LONG TIME AGO. once I learned about the alternative (thanks in large part to Glenn Kirschner, who just advocated on live TV that Flynn must be recalled to service and court-martialled) it seemed someone had to know better. Glenn is painfully uncool but I am really fond of him. He thinks this is mattering, and after some time I came to see it his way. I think he's good people, but right about now is when someone posts the link to him in black-face as a JAG in the 80s.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 29, 2022

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cimber posted:

How about 25 to a charity supporting Ukraine, since Trump hosed them over pretty hard.

You're on!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Dr. Faustus posted:

I don't have any evidence it was meant to be this way, but I also have no evidence it was not.

The fact is this is the way it worked out and it's important to balance that with how the alternative would have gone. I honestly had this question myself because obviously what we want is Trump in cuffs, perp-walked, a LONG TIME AGO. once I learned about the alternative (thanks in large part to Glenn Kirschner, who just advocated on live TV that Flynn must be recalled to service and court-martialled.) Glenn is painfully uncool but I am really fond of him. He thinks this is mattering, and after some time I came to see it his way. I think he's good people, but right about now is when someone posts the link to him in black-face as a JAG in the 80s.

Not everyone on Capitol Hill is actually an idiot, all public evidence to the contrary aside.

Some of them can even tell when their own personal rear end is in a sling. Cassidy Hutchinson is one of these people. She worked the whole way to advance their interests and now she's determined (correctly) that she has only one avenue not leading to jail. This was it.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

You're on!

wait, which side are you on, that he gets indicted or he doesn't get indited?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cimber posted:

wait, which side are you on, that he gets indicted or he doesn't get indited?

He will be indicted.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Someone make a version of the "I want nothing" gang tag, only with a burger hitting it and sliding down, leaving a smear of ketchup.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

mdemone posted:

He will be indicted.

Ok, if he's not indicted by September 1st then you donate 25 bucks to a Ukrainian charity. If he's indicted any time from now until then I will do the same.

I hope to be paying that 25 bucks soon.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Cimber posted:

Ok, if he's not indicted by September 1st then you donate 25 bucks to a Ukrainian charity. If he's indicted any time from now until then I will do the same.

I hope to be paying that 25 bucks soon.

:chaostrump:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I need to go back and watch Thursday's but I went through today's. What a clown show (that "presidency" was); maybe it would have helped to elect a president with any knowledge of the law, other than "violate it".

The part that got my heart rate up was when she was giving definitions for the two types of scheduling. She started on the uncoordinated motion and I knew it was going to be there... the national security package. By Oppenheimer's sixth cousin's ghost, the fat boy had access to the fat boy. One wonders how many times he suggested "bombing BLM" or "the dnc" without understanding nuclear yield.

And for the record, the end of summer is the autumnal equinox. (Which in 2022 is apparently 9/22 at 1803pdt)

ps 9/1 is the date targeted by https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7774/Will-Donald-Trump-be-indicted-by-Sept-1

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

cochise posted:

https://twitter.com/January6thCmte/status/1541868218922541058

I went back and checked the testimony from today after seeing the usual MAGA idiots making big claims about Trump not being able to grab the steering wheel in the Beast. It wasn't the Beast/presidential limo. It was a Secret Service suburban. So that argument is dead.

Am I blind? Cause I still can't see much of anything in this video. If I full-screen it and really squint, I can see what might be a hand kind of flailing around but I might just be imagining things.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
I want in on this

:toxx: Trump will not be arrested. If he is, 25 to a Ukraine charity or I will eat a ban :toxx:

For God’s sake I have never wanted to lose a toxx so bad :pray:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

I need to go back and watch Thursday's but I went through today's. What a clown show (that "presidency" was); maybe it would have helped to elect a president with any knowledge of the law, other than "violate it".

The part that got my heart rate up was when she was giving definitions for the two types of scheduling. She started on the uncoordinated motion and I knew it was going to be there... the national security package. By Oppenheimer's sixth cousin's ghost, the fat boy had access to the fat boy. One wonders how many times he suggested "bombing BLM" or "the dnc" without understanding nuclear yield.

And for the record, the end of summer is the autumnal equinox. (Which in 2022 is apparently 9/22 at 1803pdt)

Nah, he just wanted the National Guard to 'shoot them in the legs.'

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Spiffster posted:

I want in on this

:toxx: Trump will not be arrested. If he is, 25 to a Ukraine charity or I will eat a ban :toxx:

For God’s sake I have never wanted to lose a toxx so bad :pray:

You're on!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I always wanted Trump to be indicted and go to trial for something and thought there was a decent chance of it, but if pressed I always thought it was less than 50/50.

After today, I think the odds are extremely high, I'd put it at around 75%. Who the hell knows on conviction, good luck not having a secret MAGA moron infiltrate every jury pool.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rigel posted:

I always wanted Trump to be indicted and go to trial for something and thought there was a decent chance of it, but if pressed I always thought it was less than 50/50.

After today, I think the odds are extremely high, I'd put it at around 75%. Who the hell knows on conviction, good luck not having a secret MAGA moron infiltrate every jury pool.

Oh after he gets indicted all hell is gonna break loose

I'm not taking bets about that

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Am I blind? Cause I still can't see much of anything in this video. If I full-screen it and really squint, I can see what might be a hand kind of flailing around but I might just be imagining things.

The point of the video is that a bunch of people are screaming today's testimony was fake because there's no way Trump could even reach the driver's compartment of the presidential limo, A.K.A. The Beast.

But he's not riding away in The Beast. That's just a Secret Service Suburban which is just...well a suburban (albeit with armored plates/windows)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Alkydere posted:

The point of the video is that a bunch of people are screaming today's testimony was fake because there's no way Trump could even reach the driver's compartment of the presidential limo, A.K.A. The Beast.

But he's not riding away in The Beast. That's just a Secret Service Suburban which is just...well a suburban (albeit with armored plates/windows)

O okay, word. So literally just that it is a car and it exists.

I'm not a weirdo chud who requires evidence of that so I've been looking for something else to make it worth airing during the hearing.

Thanks.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Oracle posted:

Republican senators will, to a man, not vote to convict while excoriating him to the sky, just like they did the last time.

Uh, in his first trial, Romney broke ranks and voted to convict; the last time, fully seven R Senators did so. We needed more than double that to actually convict him, but it was not at all "to a man".

Back under W, I didn't know "indict" was spelled like that, and tried to discuss the Fitzpatrick/Libby/Cheney investigation with my parents. My dad was like "no that's what Catholic priests do. It's pronounced 'indict'" :catstare:

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Onorato (sp?) seems to have said to Hutchinson "did you hear what happened in the Beast?" which is probably a colloquial way of referring to any of the presidential vehicles, not solely the actual Beast limo itself.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I wouldn't bet even money on Trump actually being punished over this, but it's a possibility. Each time something like this pops up there's a low chance (let's say 5% - 10%) that it will pop up in the right area with the right mix of people that either want to advance their careers or just personally dislike the man. The fact that his team is clearly into witness tampering now and is likely seeing the 2022 election as a great chance to grift means these things will keep popping up and he'll keep rolling that dice.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

You can't make me huff the Hopium.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Look, if you try to stage a kudatah, there's gonna be inditements afterwards. Everyone knows that!

(Bizarre misspellings are funny, I'd just like to make that point)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O hey that was you I saw on twitter the other day.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Fuschia tude posted:

Uh, in his first trial, Romney broke ranks and voted to convict; the last time, fully seven R Senators did so. We needed more than double that to actually convict him, but it was not at all "to a man".

Sorry, you are correct, I was thinking the first impeachment and thought Romney was the only one in the second. And isn't it something that we have to remember WHICH impeachment trial of the same president people voted in, Jesus Christ. Of the seven senators two are retiring the rest had just won reelection by comfortable margins (and I think all were censured by their state parties). Only Murkowski is up this year and she's in a pretty close race in a pretty weirdly libertarian state where she won a write-in campaign her last election(god Alaska's small, and weird).

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
https://twitter.com/realJodyHunt/status/1541924119159218176

Hutchinson's lawyer responding to that Alexander tweet. Bring it on.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

I can't believe that someone gave Trump the password to the HouseGOP twitter account. They're live tweeting in a very Trumpian in their choice of words despite never tweeting like that before today.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Testekill posted:

I can't believe that someone gave Trump the password to the HouseGOP twitter account. They're live tweeting in a very Trumpian in their choice of words despite never tweeting like that before today.

They could also be transcribing.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
It's been interesting to watch some of those giving avails after today's hearing sort of...talk around the now supposedly disputed claims about the Limo Lunge. They know it was said, they know it's disputed, they don't know what's true, so they work the other angles.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Also that was the least damning thing said today

He knew they were armed. He knew they weren't going to target him. He wanted them to be armed and attack someone else.

That's the Brandenburg test for incitement to violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Testekill posted:

Posting for an audience of one.