Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I can't wait for whoever releases the first EV minivan (that's not the VW microbus thing), because that seems like the ultimate vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Russian Bear posted:

I can't wait for whoever releases the first EV minivan (that's not the VW microbus thing), because that seems like the ultimate vehicle.

:agreed:, with only a handful of companies making minivans anymore Kia seems the most likely to do that with the e-gmp, but nothing announced so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Russian Bear posted:

whats wrong with the id buzz

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Screw minivan. Ford makes the transit full sized vans based on the F150 frames. Gimme a full size transit on a Lightning frame in panel trim so I can commission some rad murals with wizards shooting lightning bolts.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kia Soul Enthusias posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIwYz1XKbh8
I'm sure that at least one goon will appreciate this :v:
First Rivian Adventure Network station operational. 599 more to go.

This is the first I heard rivian was doing their own network, and what a great idea! More stations in more remote areas, trailer pull through lanes, fantastic, so I had to look into it more, but now I'm just annoyed.

According to everything I can find (unless the internet is lying to me), they are software limiting their charges to rivians only. That is the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life, jesus christ. They go ahead and use standardized connectors but then arbitrarily make the charging situation in the US even more hosed up and atomized at a time when charging infrastructure needs all the help it can get. Not just help in the sense of needing more chargers, but help in the sense of how many new EV owners know absolutely nothing about all the details of EV charging. On the trip i drove for my parents, every stop none of the other nice people knew anything about charging speeds, or what their cars could take advantage of, at one stop a tesla owner pulled up confused trying to use a CCS plug, and thats a tesla with the most integrated charging network around! And even Tesla is making noise about opening up their network and they at least have the excuse of being first and having to make their own bespoke connector, yet Rivian with CCS is helping to fracture charging infrastructure in 2022?

Absolutely loving stupid precedent to start. Really looking forward to the future of EV's where you have to make sure you plan your travels around being certain there are Ford© charges in range, because last trip you got stuck on the side of the road because you didn't realize the chargers on your route were only General Motors© and Subaru© stations that don't work with your 2028 mach e. "Whew, made it to the EA charger and theres one stall left- wait, poo poo! Thats a dedicated porche only stall thats left! gently caress!"

I feel like we're going to end up in the world we would have been in if they had RFID chips in 1920 to make sure you only used Ford Motor Company branded gasoline pumps.

What absolute baby brained poo poo by Rivian.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don’t think this trend will hold. Tesla will eventually open all its chargers to the rest of the population, and so will Rivian. They can’t walk away from all that charging revenue.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pretty sure the Rivian goon worked on the charging system said that the plan is eventually to open them up to anyone but they were focused on just getting them up and running and working with their own cars right now because they didn’t have the necessary resources to do QA for all of the EVs on the market and payments processing would be a pain and so on.

EA chargers are nominally open but things like plug and charge still only work on some brands and not others. Volta chargers fail for me like 95% of the time in the Mach-E but apparently work fine for some other EVs. Trying to build a charging network that actually works well for all EVs seems like it’s fairly challenging and I’m not surprised that a startup that’s still focused on trying to get their actual product built in reasonable numbers isn’t interested in also trying to build a first class open charging network right now.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

Tom Guycot posted:

This is the first I heard rivian was doing their own network, and what a great idea! More stations in more remote areas, trailer pull through lanes, fantastic, so I had to look into it more, but now I'm just annoyed.

According to everything I can find (unless the internet is lying to me), they are software limiting their charges to rivians only.

According to Rivian DCFC goon, the intention is to open them up but with not all cars following protocol it's going to be awhile.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I hope Rivian opens their CCS charging network up to anyone who has a vehicle capable of using it, and the price isn't bad. My motorcycle uses CCS DCFC, and Rivian's plan to build their charging network in more adventurous areas should align with the places I want to visit. Hopefully they'll be building out their charging network sooner than they start selling their vehicles!
:ssh:

Edit: The biggest issue is that a ton of car manufacturers do not adhere to the DIN70121 spec properly, and almost none work with ISO15118, so opening up the network is going to take a lot of work and hardware. Current plans are “6 - 12 months after we release chargers.”

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

McPhearson posted:

According to Rivian DCFC goon, the intention is to open them up but with not all cars following protocol it's going to be awhile.

Software developer chiming in. This is totally believable. Everything is awful.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

McTinkerson posted:

Screw minivan. Ford makes the transit full sized vans based on the F150 frames. Gimme a full size transit on a Lightning frame in panel trim so I can commission some rad murals with wizards shooting lightning bolts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_ekugPKqFw :v:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some interesting details about the Ioniq 6 from the Ars article

quote:

Like the Ioniq 5, the Ioniq 6 uses Hyundai's new E-GMP platform for 800 V vehicles, but importantly, it's actually smaller (with a 2-inch/50-mm shorter wheelbase) and will be cheaper than the angular Ioniq 5. (Yes, this still confuses me, because 6 is more than 5, so one expects a bigger, more expensive car, plus the Ioniq 7 is going to be a large seven-seater electric SUV, due next year.)

The most notable change from the concept is the Ioniq 6's extra height, an unavoidable consequence of having to package a 6-inch (150 mm) slab of lithium-ion batteries under the cabin's floor. I asked Hyundai design chief Sangyup Lee if he had been tempted to stretch the production car's wheelbase to maintain the concept's proportions.

"This was the design and to be honest, it's what we pushed for at the design center. But the sales division and marketing decided that 4,485 [mm, or 176.5 inches] was about the right size," Lee told me.
and

quote:

Pricing information will also have to wait for now, but for context it will be cheaper than the Ioniq 5, which starts at $46,650, which means an Ioniq 6 will almost certainly heavily undercut a Tesla Model 3, which, unlike the Hyundais, is not eligible for the federal plug-in vehicle tax credit.
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/06/heres-hyundais-next-electric-vehicle-the-ioniq-6-sedan/

Holy crap it actually sounds pretty good!

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
It is funny how - aside from BMW which makes the best designed cars in the world - every EV sedan is trying so hard to make a car look like an Apple Mouse with wheels. I get that there's constraints with having to have a battery block at the bottom of the car, but when did everyone just say "okay let's just put a VW Bug on one of those medieval torture racks where the horses walk in two different directions and stretch it out" and ship it

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.
it looks like its rear end in a top hat is prolapsing

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

McTinkerson posted:

An electric van like this with removable rear seats/bench for cargo/camper duty would be absolutely amazing, especially if it’s wide enough for sheets of plywood (unlike the buzz). And yeah, the 70’s fantasy mural seems obligatory.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The ID.4 is a fine car but I’d be hard pressed to make an argument as to why you should pick one over the Ioniq 5. It might be easier to get your hands on one, but that’s about it. I’d take one of the Ioniq/EV6 over any competitors in that class.

To add to this, ID.4s will start US production in a month so there should be a lot more available soon.

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

It is funny how - aside from BMW which makes the best designed cars in the world - every EV sedan is trying so hard to make a car look like an Apple Mouse with wheels. I get that there's constraints with having to have a battery block at the bottom of the car, but when did everyone just say "okay let's just put a VW Bug on one of those medieval torture racks where the horses walk in two different directions and stretch it out" and ship it

:thunk:

I like BMW but the i4 front looks like rear end

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah the new BMW faux grilles are atrocious.

And locking down the hood is lame as well. Where will the iced prawns go?!?!

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

The Polestar 2 doesn’t look anything like that. And the Taycan might, depending on how much you stretch the definition, but it’s also the best looking EV out there.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

Jymmybob posted:

I like BMW but the i4 front looks like rear end

it's actually really good, and it doesn't follow the design cues of a roomba

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

it looks like its rear end in a top hat is prolapsing

owns

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Polestar 2 doesn’t look anything like that. And the Taycan might, depending on how much you stretch the definition, but it’s also the best looking EV out there.

The P2 is a crossover, I guess, idk...it's harder and harder to draw a line now that every sedan has a hatchback and sloped rear.

I like the Taycan for sure, and the reason is it still has some accents on the front and rear, not an amorphous blob made in the shape of a wind tunnel smoke line

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Bring back the original Citroën DS design imo

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The P2 is a crossover, I guess, idk...it's harder and harder to draw a line now that every sedan has a hatchback and sloped rear.

I like the Taycan for sure, and the reason is it still has some accents on the front and rear, not an amorphous blob made in the shape of a wind tunnel smoke line

It’s not actually a crossover. It’s only 1.2” taller than the i4 and shorter than, like, a Subaru Legacy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The Ioniq 6 looks too normal imo. They pussed out after the 5.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

It’s not actually a crossover. It’s only 1.2” taller than the i4 and shorter than, like, a Subaru Legacy.

Crossovers are usually shorter than sedans but yeah to me the P2 doesn't feel like a crossover at all to drive.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

No one talks about this.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

if you asked my wife she would confirm that an extra 1.2" would make a tremendous difference in perception and practicality

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

:swoon:

Again with the no side mirrors. I really hope we get something like this in the US some day.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

dissss posted:

Crossovers are usually shorter than sedans but yeah to me the P2 doesn't feel like a crossover at all to drive.

I mean in height, not length.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I’m currently supercharging, and this lady next to me is sitting in her frunk reading a novel looking all instagram fancy.

Meanwhile I’m in a rollercoaster shirt scarfing down chili dogs and Mountain Dew

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The Taycan looks great, but I think I like the looks on the e-tron more.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

cruft posted:

:swoon:

Again with the no side mirrors. I really hope we get something like this in the US some day.

To be clear that picture is the Hyundai Prophecy concept and and not the Ioniq 6.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

cruft posted:

I sure loving hope not. :tesla:

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

sitting in her frunk reading a novel

:wtc:

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

mobby_6kl posted:

Some interesting details about the Ioniq 6 from the Ars article

and

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2022/06/heres-hyundais-next-electric-vehicle-the-ioniq-6-sedan/

Holy crap it actually sounds pretty good!

No one else seems to agree though - everywhere else is it's longer overall the the Ioniq 5, just on a shorter wheelbase.

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I’m currently supercharging, and this lady next to me is sitting in her frunk reading a novel looking all instagram fancy.

Does she have any shrimp in there?

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Russian Bear posted:

Mercedes makes one, the EQV.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

There's rumours that the Kia Carnival will have a hybrid version available in a couple of years, with a full EV version to follow.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just going to have a tiny rant here and complain that the Subaru Solterra and Toyota bz4x/busy forks have the exact same VIN stem, which is going to make distinguishing between the two for purposes of VIN decoding very difficult. As that's part of my job, I am big mad.

BTW I'm the one who got that Nexo FCEV about a year back. I still like the car! Pity that they can't keep the stations running to save their lives tho.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrOnBicycle posted:

I just hope that Cupras EV stuff isn’t as poo poo as their ICE cars. I got a Cupra Fermented or whatever it’s called as a loaner and it’s just horrible. Apart from getting an ICE as a loaner, the car itself is just horrid. Driving a modern ICE with an auto makes me appreciate my EV that much more. The worst part is putting my foot down and nothing happens for a second or so, and then the gearbox starts hunting gears.
Specifically about the Formentor though: The only two good things about it was the snappy and decent infotainment and the fact that the seats could be lowered a ton. Other than that it was a horrible 60 minute drive today and I arrived with a sore neck and battered ears from the lovely seats and loud as hell road noise. The suspension is so firm that I could feel constant small vibrations in my lower back when driving on normal nice roads. The AC is poo poo as well, and I had forgotten about the AC stopping while the start stop system shuts the engine off at lights in ICE cars.

… man I miss my ID.3. Please fix it quickly VW!

Interesting! I've never been in a Cupra of any type, though my parents' neighbor has a Tormentor or whatever the gently caress. I'm still kind of flabbergasted that VW's sub-brand Seat made another sub-brand to make lovely cars. I also would've thought that these cars would have electric a/c pumps.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Eyes Only posted:

Does she have any shrimp in there?
Only a clam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Russian Bear posted:

https://www.fiat.it/e-ulysse/e-ulysse

Already on the market, with quicker delivery times than the buzz.