Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Joe Fisto posted:

I just read the New Fantastic Four and I have to say I love it when Marvel does this. They can wedge all kinds of new stories in their old plot lines. Give me more of this and less of whatever’s happening over in Spider-Man.

Counterpoint: that last Symbiote Spider-Man series was loving terrible *and* had Greg Land art

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Counterpoint: that last Symbiote Spider-Man series was loving terrible *and* had Greg Land art

It couldn't be anything but with Land art. I didn't even try to read it when I saw his name attached. #StopGivingGregLandWork

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

It's really a shame. I love that era of Spidey, do something interesting instead of loving around the universe on an adventure Peter doesn't even remember or some poo poo

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Quick question: I'm reading Nova Vol 5...is Original Sin worth reading? I know Sam is involved at some point but I don't want to skip to the aftermath in the main series if it means missing anything important.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dell_Zincht posted:

Quick question: I'm reading Nova Vol 5...is Original Sin worth reading? I know Sam is involved at some point but I don't want to skip to the aftermath in the main series if it means missing anything important.

I read all of Original Sins (but not all the spin offs) and I honestly don't remember Sam Nova being a serious part of it in any way, I think he's there because everyone is there. I also haven't read it since it came out. If there's something like Nova: Original Sins or a .1 issue like they did with the Original Sins Thor and Loki stuff you probably want to read that.

It's a decent event as event comics, go though, so I wouldn't consider it a waste of your time if you read it, but I don't think it has a lot of impact on Sam's story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Original Sin is weird because there are a lot of tie-ins, but most of them are stand alone tie-ins. While that might make your brain hurt , it actually makes a lot of sense due to the events that happen in Original Sin itself. The event is that secrets of characters are revealed due to the assassination of Uatu and his secrets getting out. A lot of books took their tie-in issues to delve into some secret from the character's past, while not dealing with the actual Original Sin event at all. Nova mostly deals with finally getting the lowdown on Sam's father and exactly what the Black Novas were. So it was an excuse for fleshing out the backstory that had been mostly hidden till that point. Nova also ties in a little more than most books on a personal level because Uatu and Sam had actually kind of become friends so the events hit him a little harder.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Original Sin made for a great 2 or 3 issue arc in Daredevil about his mom and dad. And I like that at the very beginning when it's recounting the Original Sin memory blast event Daredevil says he's not usually part of these big event fights because he's not good at them. Which sounded like Mark Waid doing a little explainer on why Marvel doesn't use DD as much in its big crossovers.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Skwirl posted:

I read all of Original Sins (but not all the spin offs) and I honestly don't remember Sam Nova being a serious part of it in any way, I think he's there because everyone is there. I also haven't read it since it came out. If there's something like Nova: Original Sins or a .1 issue like they did with the Original Sins Thor and Loki stuff you probably want to read that.

It's a decent event as event comics, go though, so I wouldn't consider it a waste of your time if you read it, but I don't think it has a lot of impact on Sam's story.

Thanks, it would appear that Original Sin #0 is mainly about Sam, I've read that first and I'll continue with the main story.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I know I read Original Sin when catching up with Aaron's Thor run, but I honestly can't remember anything about the story. Just vague recollections of how it ended.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Iron Cat is out and by our own Vulpes and cool and good and your should buy it and read it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dawgstar posted:

______is out and by our own Vulpes and cool and good and your should buy it and read it.

We can pretty much post this every time the guy writes a book. It's cool that a goon writes consistently good books. Although it's fun to wonder what would happen if we had a goon that wrote really bad books. That would be funny to see.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

X-O posted:

We can pretty much post this every time the guy writes a book. It's cool that a goon writes consistently good books. Although it's fun to wonder what would happen if we had a goon that wrote really bad books. That would be funny to see.

I'm secretly Greg Land.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

X-O posted:

*monkey’s paw curls*

The Knull Khronicles by Jed MacKay coming 2023

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Dawgstar posted:

Iron Cat is out and by our own Vulpes and cool and good and your should buy it and read it.

Seconded. The art is incredible too. Perez makes good faces and some gorgeous dynamic movement shots.
@Vulpes Vulpes: Congrats on that good new comic! Please tell Perez that some internet rando likes his art. Please use those exact words. I bet he'll be thrilled.

Anyway, I'm quite impressed how much character and consistency went into Black Cat. She used to be just a Catwoman for Spiderman, but honestly nowadays she's much more of a character in my head. Maybe that's just due to the fact that I don't really read DC, though.

I do really hope that Tony will be able to keep it in his pants, though. He just went on hold with Patsy after proposing to her. Going from Hellcat to Black Cat seems a bit gauche.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 29, 2022

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Pere Perez is fantastic. I've been a huge fan of his since his work on Archer & Armstrong for the Valiant relaunch. As mentioned his facial expressions are some of the best in the business.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The Variants #1 was great. I love both Gail Simone and Phil Noto, how could I not enjoy this book?

Also; as far as throwback stories go Venom Lethal Protector is fun. Could by my nostalgia glasses though, I ate up the Lethal Protector stuff when it was new. (I have the bagley art from the first issue’s cover tattooed on my arm)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
as expected, iron cat was lots of fun

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
After being pretty cool on the current Iron Man run, especially not buying the Patsy and Tony thing, I really enjoyed the Iron Man/Hellcat annual. It's pretty much a Hellcat story, guest starring Iron Man, but Patsy felt like an actual character.

I also cannot care less about Jack of Hearts. Holy poo poo, why is that the main storyline in She-Hulk instead of her new job or this cool fight club she's starting? I far more invested in either of those, both of which should have enough meat to fuel a main story.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gripweed posted:

I read Aero and Sword Master. This was a complete random buy, it was like three bucks on the last day of Barnes and Noble store closing sale and I grabbed it. I ended up liking it a lot. Wave is a fun character, and I've always liked the idea of international superhero teams with their own guys and villains, and the evil corporation being run by a mermaid is great. Sword Master is neat too, a guy with a magic sword only he can wield but he has never even held a sword before and he absolutely loving sucks is a great premise for a hero. Ares was great, his son was, great their relationship was great, I'd read a comic just about those two.

Both of the stories lead into something called Atlantis Attacks, which now I'm kinda keen to read

Marvel International is a lot of fun, lots of original characters and interesting stories going on.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Soonmot posted:

I also cannot care less about Jack of Hearts. Holy poo poo, why is that the main storyline in She-Hulk instead of her new job or this cool fight club she's starting? I far more invested in either of those, both of which should have enough meat to fuel a main story.

Agreed. And as I've already complained before, they seem to be both focusing on and slow-walking the Jack of Hearts mystery. Hoping the end of this issue isn't a fake out and it actually gets the plot moving. That said, I'm mostly holding out to see what legal help Nightcralwer needs in a couple of issues. If the comic hasn't improved by then, I'm probably dropping it.

Iron Cat was a good continuation of Black Cat, retaining the same quality. Variants had an intriguing start.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jack of Hearts is cool and I like him.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Real post: Why? I didn't start reading Avengers until after disassembled so I only knew him as the guy who exploded. Nothing I've seen here or in fantastic four has made me care about this guy.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

X-O posted:

I've written several really bad books but that's not the goons' problem

Soonmot posted:

Real post: Why? I didn't start reading Avengers until after disassembled so I only knew him as the guy who exploded. Nothing I've seen here or in fantastic four has made me care about this guy.

He's extremely good in She-Hulk

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Codependent Poster posted:

:yeah:

I mean most of what he has going for him is a fun character design, admittedly, but still

he's cool

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have to agree the Jack storyline is the worst part of the book and the fight club was definitely something I need more of

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

What we are getting from Jack isn't even bad, it's just very slow, "day in the life of a previously radioactive hero". Which is also why I haven't dropped the book despite it not hooking me just yet. Hoping if he gets a chance to do something beyond re-learning how to eat or poop, or if the comic switches focus to all the other stuff being set up, I'll start enjoying the comic more.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Just to sort of redirect the pages-long discussion of Ultimates 3 from the Badass Panels thread, and for the benefit of anyone too fortunate to have seen it before, here's the opening few pages of characterization from Jeph Loeb's first issue on the book, Sex, Lies and DVDs, featuring Wanda and Pietro Lannister:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

God, I'd forgotten about edgy Hawkeye. :allears: (Just like Joe Mad forgot Ultimate Wasp was Asian.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Soonmot posted:

In reality it's because when I was a kid, I randomly picked up a Cosmic Powers book and he starred in it. I liked his design and his powers seemed cool, and ever since then I've just liked him.

I've been enjoying the study of him in She-Hulk. Guy can just never catch a break but he's still heroic. It's cool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

glitchwraith posted:

What we are getting from Jack isn't even bad, it's just very slow, "day in the life of a previously radioactive hero". Which is also why I haven't dropped the book despite it not hooking me just yet. Hoping if he gets a chance to do something beyond re-learning how to eat or poop, or if the comic switches focus to all the other stuff being set up, I'll start enjoying the comic more.

Maybe worst wasn't the right word cuz your correct, it's not bad, just out of the things introduced in the book it is the least interesting

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How many series have we had now of 'Jen puts her life back together?' It feels like a lot, even if probably isn't.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Dawgstar posted:

How many series have we had now of 'Jen puts her life back together?' It feels like a lot, even if probably isn't.

It is a bit weird, especially when she works better as being one of those rare heroes who actually mostly has their poo poo together to contrast how messy her cousin's life is

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How was Silver Surfer: Rebirth?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

drrockso20 posted:

It is a bit weird, especially when she works better as being one of those rare heroes who actually mostly has their poo poo together to contrast how messy her cousin's life is

Yeah. Jen has that enviable position where she has an interesting day job alongside the cape shenanigans.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

drrockso20 posted:

I'm half-convinced that her status as someone who has their poo poo together has Marvel's editorial nervous that comic readers will stop being able to identify with her, so they keep greenlighting "Jen's life is all hosed up" pitches

A far pettier version of "how can comics readers still identify with Peter Parker if he has a hot wife who supports him and a kid"

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell even then peters life is always a mess regardless of status. I think it’s just a cheap source of drama that works for basically any character. You can slot in Jen or Peter doesn’t matter it still works

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

drrockso20 posted:

I think there's some recency bias going on too, because it's really only been the past two solo series that have focused on Jen getting her life back in order. Before that you had the Soule run which was about Jen starting her own practice and getting into legal shenanigans.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

howe_sam posted:

I think there's some recency bias going on too, because it's really only been the past two solo series that have focused on Jen getting her life back in order. Before that you had the Soule run which was about Jen starting her own practice and getting into legal shenanigans.

Yeah, I think a lot of it goes back to the era of Marvel where most of the big names got replaced by legacy characters, which included the Jen starring Hulk book. Which I really liked as an exploration of trauma, but I guess it didn't land for the bigger audience because they started to make it more like old She-Hulk comics towards the end, even renaming it. Which is fine, I'm also down for more light-hearted She-Hulk, but then she was moved to Aaron's Avenger's where she was back to being a Banner stand-in despite her issues being resolved at the end of her solo. This seems to be the first run making a real attempt to get her back to her usual status quo, and just in time for the MCU show.

site posted:

Maybe worst wasn't the right word cuz your correct, it's not bad, just out of the things introduced in the book it is the least interesting

Yeah, I wasn't trying to read further into your comment, more just tempering my own criticisms. It's an odd book for me because I really want to like it, and feel like it's really close to a book I can like, it's just missing something to make it all click for me.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

howe_sam posted:

Her life isn't really that much of a MESS in her current title. I think it would have been wilder to just not acknowledge that for the past few years she'd been inhabiting a very different status quo and that there are some hurdles and some dramas involved with getting back to having her life just so, but so far she's mostly had satisfying and reasonable, quite low-key solutions to most of her immediate problems and in fact has spent much of her time helping someone else with their problems.

I really, really like the Rowell book so far; it feels as close to a straight-up romance title as Marvel has had in ages and I'm very much digging the gentle, confident pace of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Captain America book is really good so far.